/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Centrum Vitamin User....Be Alerted!

AmarFaisal
04-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Assalamoalaikum Brother and Sisters,
This is a jewish site that has claimed that according to their research and knowledge CENTRUM VITAMIN TABLETS may contain pork.

2. What is the gelatin source in Centrum Products?
The gelatin used in Centrum comes from different animals, which might include pork gelatin sometimes. However, the gelatin undergoes a rigorous chemical heat processing. We have spoken to a number of Imams regarding their religious concerns. They felt that because the gelatin goes through a chemical processing which changes the nature of the gelatin and because of the anticipated benefit to individual health, it is reasonable to use this product. In the end, it is the consumer's decision to accept this point of view or not based on personal convictions.

http://www.centrumvitamins.ca/content/faq/default.asp

These tablets r widely used and prescribed in Muslim countries as well, including Kuwait.

For those of us using vitamins need to be very careful abt their ingredients.

Take Care

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
:sl:

SubhanAllah...almost everything we eat nowadays is becoming geletinified! Even Muller Vitality :(

:w:

SirZubair
04-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Thank you for the reminder :)

http://www.islamicboard.com/692545-post50.html

SirZubair
04-15-2007, 06:37 PM
I emailed them 3 weeks ago asking them who the Imams are who have approved the use of Centrum Pills,... i am still waiting for a response.

Others should email them too, insha'allah they will respond to atleast one email.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AmarFaisal
04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Assalamoalaikum Brother,

I am sorry for repeating the same information, I searched for centrum before posting this thread and as I didn't find any thread with this name I posted it.

But anyway, mayb it will get across more after this re-posting and shall be merged into that thread later.

SirZubair
04-15-2007, 06:43 PM
No, it shouldn't be merged, it deserves a thread of its own :)

Like i said, Jazakallah for the reminder :)

Muezzin
04-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Are there no alternatives to these tablets? As in, the same medicine in syrup form, or from a different manufacturer which does not use gelatine?

Philosopher
04-15-2007, 09:08 PM
How do you know its a Jewish site?

SirZubair
04-16-2007, 07:55 AM
I didn't know Jews owned Centrum.... :blind:

That website belongs to Centrum itself.

Centrum has told no lies, they have been open and honest about the ingredients of their products.

AmarFaisal
04-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Assalamoalikum Brother,

I was sent this email by a friend who was using centrum n found out the truth through another doctor. She mentioned in the mail that the site was Jewish, and I copied it here. I shall ask her how she came to know abt the site being Jewish and shall let u know.

As for an alternative for these tablets, there r many. I have been on multi-vitamin tablets for years due to anemia, though I don't take them regularly. I have never used centrum. I am sure there r many others that u can find as a substitute to these tablets provided the others also do not contain pork gelatin.

Wa'salam

SirZubair
04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmarFaisal
Assalamoalikum Brother,

I was sent this email by a friend who was using centrum n found out the truth through another doctor. She mentioned in the mail that the site was Jewish, and I copied it here. I shall ask her how she came to know abt the site being Jewish and shall let u know.
Yes please, do that. Because i've got a feeling that this is a case of "Make sure you use the word "Jewish" or "Bush" in the email, in order to capture the attention of all muslims...."

:p

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
04-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Some tablets are also made from vegetable gelatine.

Woodrow
04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Centrum is manufactured by Wyeth Laboratories. The company was founded by the Wyeth brothers in the 1800s. It is an international stock company with stockholders world wide and manufacturing plants world wide. The holder of the controlling interest of the company is Harvard University.
1900–1929

John Wyeth died in 1907 and his only son, Stuart, became the company's president. American Home Products, the holding company now known as Wyeth, was incorporated on February 4th, 1926. The Whitehall building in downtown Manhattan became the corporation's first headquarters. Global sales became stronger due to the sales of Wyeth's Kolynos brand of toothpaste. In 1929, Stuart Wyeth died and left controlling interest to Harvard University.
Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/wyeth

to find out the specific gelatin used for Centrum, you would have to know the name of the Manufacturing plant that made it and the country of origin, for any particular batch.
I believe it would be safe to say that Centrum sold in Islamic countries is manufactured in them and are Halal. I would be suspicious of batches manufactured in Western Countries as I doubt the gelatin would be from a halal source.

AmarFaisal
04-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I am sorry but my friend says her friend told her it was a jewish site...it's that kind of women talk where the cain of "she told me...." never ends.

May God forgive us for conveying wrong information, if any, we have

Anyway,The basic msg is not abt it being jewish, or islamic..but the use of pork gelatin in medicines.

Woodrow
04-16-2007, 07:47 PM
I am sorry but my friend says her friend told her it was a jewish site...it's that kind of women talk where the cain of "she told me...." never ends.

May God forgive us for conveying wrong information, if any, we have

Anyway,The basic msg is not abt it being jewish, or islamic..but the use of pork gelatin in medicines.
True the issue is the geletine. Most companies that have manufacturing plants in an Islamic country will produce halal goods at least for that market. It is only recently that it has become cost effective to produce halal stuff for sale in non-Islamic countries.

As the Muslim population becomes a viable economic factor more halal items will become available in the Western World.

Musaafirah
04-16-2007, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
:sl:

SubhanAllah...almost everything we eat nowadays is becoming geletinified! Even Muller Vitality :(

:w:
I KNEW IT WAS HALAL BEFORE! (referring to the muller vitality that is)
My dad used to always buy it for me, and about 2 months ago, dad bought a few packs, and I dunno why, but I was checking the ingredients ,when I saw it had gelatine!
Anyways, I have cod liver oil... orange flavoured, and a separate dose of vitamin D..

AmarFaisal
04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Assalamoalaikum Brothers,

I still don't understand why the centrum website would not mention that it is producing special batches of it's medicine to be sold in Muslim countries...:?

Woodrow
04-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Assalamoalaikum Brothers,

I still don't understand why the centrum website would not mention that it is producing special batches of it's medicine to be sold in Muslim countries...:?
Because corporate headquarters seldom have any concept as to what the subsidiaries are doing. Corporations especialy international ones are strange beasts, there is no one person responsible for the total operation. It goes like this at a board meeting.

CEO says "Our Branch in Saudi Arabia is making more money then our branch in Singapore"

Board Member "Shut down Singapore direct the Assests to Saudi"

Board Member 2 "Send a fact finding committee to each and see what is going ong"

Board Member 2 "Change product distribution in Singapore to the same Products the are generating profits in Saudi"

CEO "Somebody write up a proposal on suggestions and have it on my desk in 3 hours, Meeting adjourned"

They are not producing special batches the manufacturing plants in those countries are operated and owned by stock holders in those countries. They produce in accordance to local market. Like soft drinks, Coca-cola uses a different recipe in every country it is bottled it, The local owners determine the product. The corporation determines the distribution of investment money and share of profits.

International companies are just that international, no alliance with any country, but with investments in factories in many different countries. Which often carry the name of the Corporation.

I used to work(short length of time) for a gigantic Corporation. I was just a peon on the corporate ladder, but I was flabbergasted and the number of companies that were under the corporate umbrella. there was not a single person in the corporation that knew the names of all of the companies that were part of the corporation. I was in the petro chemical division. The company owned oil refineries in nearly every country in the world. An off shoot of that was our food addative branch where we had plants manufacturing things like artificial flavors world wide (Many artificial flavorings are from petroleum)

My poit is you will get little information as to what a corporation produces from their corporate headquarters. You need to check the particular manufacturer which can usually be found through the batch # on the label.

AmarFaisal
04-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Mashallah Brother Woodrow u always have a lot of information on many diverse subjects, I guess it all comes from ur life long versatile careers and experiences.

When I meet ppl like u (and Mashallah many others on this forum), I feel I want to drain out all the information I can abt all the subjects possible.:) :)

We r so unaware abt so much...:(

Woodrow
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Mashallah Brother Woodrow u always have a lot of information on many diverse subjects, I guess it all comes from ur life long versatile careers and experiences.

When I meet ppl like u (and Mashallah many others on this forum), I feel I want to drain out all the information I can abt all the subjects possible.:) :)

We r so unaware abt so much...:(
I am more impressed by the knowledge I see in the members here. It is no great challenge to learn something if you live long enough. I get overwhelmed at seeing how diverse and so knowledgeable My Muslim Brothers and sisters are about Islam. I just hope that I can pick up a fraction of the knowledge.

Trivia knowledge comes simply by living, the important knowledge comes from hard work.

SirZubair
04-19-2007, 07:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am more impressed by the knowledge I see in the members here. It is no great challenge to learn something if you live long enough. I get overwhelmed at seeing how diverse and so knowledgeable My Muslim Brothers and sisters are about Islam. I just hope that I can pick up a fraction of the knowledge.
joker.... :p

Talibatul Ilm
04-20-2007, 10:34 PM
i think the best thing sometimes is to just use vegetarian suppliments. they use no animal products so everything in it is good. except theyre a little more costly ...

AmarFaisal
04-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Good Advice Sister Talibatul Ilm!

England
04-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Just eat loads of fruit and vegetables to get your vitamins. I drink 4 PKU Coolers a day to get all of my vitamins and calcium. They have everything in it. My dietician prescribes me with them every month for free as I cannot eat meat although if you were to buy them they would cost £246 :D

Buy from: http://store.vitaflo.co.uk/catalogue...ategory_id=166

They are the best vitamin supplements you can get. One hundred thousand times better than these tablets you lot take. In fact I'm going to have one now :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.