PDA

View Full Version : How many Gods do Hindus have?



Philosopher
04-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Can a Hindu tell me how many gods are there in hinduism? What are the holy texts for Hinduism?

Thanks.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
04-17-2007, 01:50 AM
i'm not sure if we have any active hindu members right now. as to the answer to your question, i think, strangely enough, many hindus would reply "one".
i think hinduism is fairly complex.
anyway, here are a couple of websites
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/
http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10003.html
Reply

Muslim Woman
04-17-2007, 02:01 AM


I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful


Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)


&&&
Originally Posted by snakelegs
i'm not sure if we have any active hindu members right now. as to the answer to your question, i think, strangely enough, many hindus would reply "one".
i think hinduism is fairly complex.
anyway, here are a couple of websites
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/
http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10003.html

a lady from Bhutan ( or Nepal ?? ) told me once that they believe 3 dieties protect their country . Later i asked a Bangladeshi hindu if they believe in 3 or 1 God . He said 3 gods.


yes , u r right. hinduism is complex. they believe in Trinity. 1 god created everything, 1 god is sustainer , other god is responsible for death.


i heard of Zakir NAIK. Hindus books tell them to worship 1 God only.




Reply

cali dude
04-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by snakelegs
i'm not sure if we have any active hindu members right now. as to the answer to your question, i think, strangely enough, many hindus would reply "one".
i think hinduism is fairly complex.
anyway, here are a couple of websites
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/
http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10003.html
I only know a little about Hinduism. Yes, from what I know, there is only one God and many devi devtas spelled as gods, with small 'g'
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
snakelegs
04-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful


Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)


&&&



a lady from Bhutan told me once that they believe 3 dieties protect their country . Later i asked a Bangladeshi hindu if they believe in 3 or 1 God . He said 3 gods.

yes , u r right. hinduism in complex. they believe in Trinity. 1 god created everything, 1 god is sustainer , other god is responsible for death.

i heard of Zakir NAIK. Hindus books tell them to worship 1 God only.
Concept of God
Hinduism is sometimes considered to be a polytheistic religion, but such a view tends to oversimplify a diverse system of thought with beliefs spanning monotheism, polytheism,[11] pantheism, monism and even atheism. For instance, the Advaita Vedanta school holds that there is only one causal entity (Brahman), which manifests itself to humans in multiple forms[12] while many scholars consider the Samkhya school of thought to have had atheistic leanings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism
Reply

shible
04-17-2007, 04:23 AM
i am from India and i could answer the question if you want me to
Reply

siFilam
04-17-2007, 04:24 AM
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

:salamext:


I took a world religion course in college, from what I remember, my professor said they have millions of deities. But these deities come from one deity, I think its name is Brahma or something.and each deity is a reincarnation of one another.

Recently I tried to give two Hindu Dawah and they kept saying "yes, yes, Hindu and Muslims are the same...". The concept of Tauhid or Oneness of Allah just flies right over their head.

wasalam
-SI-
Reply

shible
04-17-2007, 04:35 AM
:sl:

The Thought of One god may be achieved in specific

But as per the hinduism concept there are three main gods who take care of major tasks they are

1. Brahma - the Creator

2. Vishnu - The protector

3. Siva - The Destroyer


and these three are the source for all the other gods who are exsting. the total number crosses including all small and big gods in Hinduism is approximately 33,000,000


:w:
Reply

shible
04-17-2007, 04:57 AM
I forgot to provide one more information

these total number include not only gods in human form but also in various animals, birdsand many other life forms
Reply

north_malaysian
04-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by shible
I forgot to provide one more information

these total number include not only gods in human form but also in various animals, birdsand many other life forms
Is Lord Murugan famous in India? In Malaysia, millions perform pilgrimages for him during Thaipusam.
Reply

shible
04-17-2007, 05:01 AM
Sure he is one of the sons of Siva and the other son name is ganesh
Reply

------
04-17-2007, 08:55 AM
:salamext:

I studied this in College, there is one main God called Brahman-The Absolute.

The other 3 gods (Brahma-The Creator, Vishnu-The Protector, Shiva-The Sustainer) make up the Ultimate God (Brahman). It is kind of like the concept of Trinity, but a bit complicated....

This link might help:
http://www.religion-cults.com/Easter...ism/hindu4.htm

Oh, and I think there are...how many...oh yeh...33 Million Gods/gods all together.... :skeleton:
Reply

Muslim Woman
04-17-2007, 09:43 AM
:sl:


here is a good link

The Concept of God in Hinduism and Islam

In the light of sacred scriptures


Difference between the Hindus and the Muslims is just the apostrophe 's': Dr. Zakir Naik.


Dr. Zakir Naik speaks of his love for Sri Sri Ravi Shankar by choice.


Sri Sri Ravi Shankar accepts that his book had mistakes, but the intention was to bring the Hindus and Muslims closer.

Dr. Zakir Naik thanking Sri Sri Ravi Shankar for his noble decision.

Dr. Zakir Naik talks about the prophecy of Muhammad (pbuh) in the Hindu scriptures.



http://www.thetruecall.com/home/modu...rticle&sid=185
Reply

lavikor201
04-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Dr. Zakir Naik talks about the prophecy of Muhammad (pbuh) in the Hindu scriptures.
Why is that good! The fact that he is prophesized in the Hindu (pagan) scriptures only lead me to refer to the Torah which says false prophets and false gods will perform miracles to tempt you. Why on earth is being mentioned in the Pagan scriptures a good thing? :?
Reply

- Qatada -
04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
Why is that good! The fact that he is prophesized in the Hindu (pagan) scriptures only lead me to refer to the Torah which says false prophets and false gods will perform miracles to tempt you. Why on earth is being mentioned in the Pagan scriptures a good thing? :?

Prophet Moses did many miracles, infact that's one of the reasons how the children of Isra'eel escaped from Egypt, because Moses hit his staff to the river Nile. So it's not shocking if the other prophets of Allaah perform miracles either.


Regards.
Reply

lavikor201
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Prophet Moses did many miracles, infact that's one of the reasons how the children of Isra'eel escaped from Egypt, because Moses hit his staff to the river Nile. So it's not shocking if the other prophets of Allaah perform miracles either.


Regards.
Yes, but I am not speaking about Moses miracles. I am speaking of the miracles and prophecies of a book which supports worshiping many "gods" like "krishna".

Miracles performed by messangers that preach the eternal observance of Torah are of course prophets.
Reply

Muslim Woman
04-17-2007, 11:36 PM


Salaam/peace;

Originally Posted by lavikor201
... I am speaking of the miracles and prophecies of a book which supports worshiping many "gods" like "krishna".

Hindus holy books do tell them to worship one God only.

writing from memory.....God is only one, verily there is no other god , don't make statues etc.

krishna , Ganesh ( elephant god) , Ma kaali ( a naked goddess ) ...these dieties names are not mentioned in Veda ( hindus holiest book)

Reply

snakelegs
04-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:sl:


here is a good link

The Concept of God in Hinduism and Islam

In the light of sacred scriptures


Difference between the Hindus and the Muslims is just the apostrophe 's': Dr. Zakir Naik.


Dr. Zakir Naik speaks of his love for Sri Sri Ravi Shankar by choice.


Sri Sri Ravi Shankar accepts that his book had mistakes, but the intention was to bring the Hindus and Muslims closer.

Dr. Zakir Naik thanking Sri Sri Ravi Shankar for his noble decision.

Dr. Zakir Naik talks about the prophecy of Muhammad (pbuh) in the Hindu scriptures.



http://www.thetruecall.com/home/modu...rticle&sid=185
do you really think it makes any sense to go to a muslim source to learn about hinduism?
Reply

Muslim Woman
04-17-2007, 11:44 PM


Salaam/peace;

Originally Posted by snakelegs
do you really think it makes any sense to go to a muslim source to learn about hinduism?
Dr. Zakir studied comparitive religion. He did that debate with a Hindu religious leader. In India , his audiences are mainly hindus. when Zakir quoted from their holy scriptures , they could not protest .

If possible , try to watch his debates (at least 1 ) ; if not the whole lecture only Q & A parts , very interesting & informative.

I enjoyed his following debates.

1 with Dr. Campbell about Bible & Quran ; another was about veg food ; his lectures on similarities between Hinduism & Islam , concept of God in major religions are very informative.

Reply

snakelegs
04-17-2007, 11:49 PM
muslim woman,
dr. zakir may be a great scholar. still, if i wanted to explore hinduism, i would go to hindu sources.
if i want to explore islam, am i going to go to a christian scholar?
Reply

NoName55
04-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by snakelegs
do you really think it makes any sense to go to a muslim source to learn about hinduism?
At last a voice of reason.

BTW it is like screaming in the wilderness of a deserted island (none can hear you)
Reply

lavikor201
04-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

Salaam/peace;



Dr. Zakir studied comparitive religion. He did that debate with a Hindu religious leader. In India , his audiences are mainly hindus. when Zakir quoted from their holy scriptures , they could not protest .

If possible , try to watch his debates (at least 1 ) ; if not the whole lecture only Q & A parts , very interesting & informative.

I enjoyed his following debates.

1 with Dr. Campbell about Bible & Quran ; another was about veg food ; his lectures on similarities between Hinduism & Islam , concept of God in major religions are very informative.
He has a bias. Therefore he cannot be trusted because every word of Hinduism he preaches is to make Islam look better.
Reply

Muslim Woman
04-18-2007, 12:07 AM


Salaam/peace;

Originally Posted by snakelegs
muslim woman,
dr. zakir may be a great scholar. still, if i wanted to explore hinduism, i would go to hindu sources.
if i want to explore islam, am i going to go to a christian scholar?
-- I agree with u that to know about a religion , it's better to go its sources . But when u hear a debate , u can listen to both sides .Zakir had a hindu scholar with him :statisfie


look at the debate topic i posted :The Concept of God in Hinduism and Islam : In the light of sacred scriptures



when Zakir gave quote /mentioned verses from Hindus holy book , can they protest that no , it's not in my holy books ? They can't do that because indeed their holy books have these verses.


To know about Islam , if u hear a debate between Muslim & Christian scholars , surely it's not the best way to learn but ......we can know a little bit about other religion in an interesting way.

All don't have patience to read others holy book. I have hindus books ; can't make time to read the whole book :cry: sometimes find it hard , sometimes boring .
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Muslim Woman, he is obviously a bright man, although I view many of his opinion wrong, and I think his analysis of Judaism and "mohammad in the tanakh) is laughable, I think he has a great memmory and mind.

However, there are a ton of Christians who know a ton about Islam, and I can safely say that you would not point someone towards their site to learn about Islam.
Reply

Muslim Woman
04-18-2007, 12:24 AM


Salaam/peace;


Originally Posted by lavikor201
Muslim Woman, he is obviously a bright man, although I view many of his opinion wrong,
--pl. give examples


and I think his analysis of Judaism and "mohammad in the tanakh) is laughable,
--- i can understand u don't believe that Muhammed (p) is the Last Prophet ( that debate will be settled down on the Last Day ) but which analysis of Judaism is wrong ?

I think he has a great memmory

--yap , unbelievable . When Christians can't quote from Bible without seeing the book , Zakir utters verbatim from memory....Alhamdulillah.



However, there are a ton of Christians who know a ton about Islam, and I can safely say that you would not point someone towards their site to learn about Islam.
--if u refer me a debate site where i can find both Muslim & Christian , Insha Allah i will try to listen :statisfie

[/QUOTE]


Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 12:29 AM
--pl. give examples
I have in the refutations I have posted about all of his accusations on Mohammad being in the Tanakh.

--if u refer me a debate site where i can find both Muslim & Christian , Insha Allah i will try to listen
But you should not. The Christians when they speak about Islam have an agenda. As do the Muslims, and all other religions that claim you must be one of them to be saved.
Reply

Muslim Woman
04-18-2007, 12:37 AM


Salaam/peace;

Originally Posted by lavikor201
I have in the refutations I have posted about all of his accusations on Mohammad being in the Tanakh.

--i m not interested about this point....i told u .....God Willing , it will be settled down on the Last Day. What other topics about Judaism u find illogical/ wrong ?


But you should not. The Christians when they speak about Islam have an agenda. As do the Muslims, and all other religions that claim you must be one of them to be saved.
--of course , i won't explore any Chrsitian site to know about Islam. But what's wrong if i hear a debate ? I will be able to listen to the both sides .

If i believe my religion is true , then of course i must believe that for salvation it's the way....what's wrong with it ?
[/QUOTE]



Reply

snakelegs
04-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

Salaam/peace;



-- I agree with u that to know about a religion , it's better to go its sources . But when u hear a debate , u can listen to both sides .Zakir had a hindu scholar with him :statisfie


look at the debate topic i posted :The Concept of God in Hinduism and Islam : In the light of sacred scriptures



when Zakir gave quote /mentioned verses from Hindus holy book , can they protest that no , it's not in my holy books ? They can't do that because indeed their holy books have these verses.


To know about Islam , if u hear a debate between Muslim & Christian scholars , surely it's not the best way to learn but ......we can know a little bit about other religion in an interesting way.

All don't have patience to read others holy book. I have hindus books ; can't make time to read the whole book :cry: sometimes find it hard , sometimes boring .
if i want to learn more about islam - why would i listen to a debate between some great christian scholar and a muslim?
i also don't have patience (or motivation) to read a bunch of holy books, but if i were interested in hinduism, i would go to a hindu source and not a debate.
i don't consider a debate about which religion is the right one to be a good source of info about either religion unless i am plagued by this question myself.
there is plenty you can learn without reading the holy books. (hindusim has many and they're big, besides!)
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 12:46 AM
--of course , i won't explore any Chrsitian site to know about Islam. But what's wrong if i hear a debate ? I will be able to listen to the both sides .

If i believe my religion is true , then of course i must believe that for salvation it's the way....what's wrong with it ?
Nothing at all. I am just explaining my reasoning for why I would be cautious in believeing a scholor from one religion speak about another religion.
Reply

Laith Al-Doory
04-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Hinduism, like Budhism, is essentially a monist religion. The many gods are in fact all aspects of the One. The same principle exists in Judaic mysticism.
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Laith Al-Doory
Hinduism, like Budhism, is essentially a monist religion. The many gods are in fact all aspects of the One. The same principle exists in Judaic mysticism.
I think Buddhism believes in an "energy source" although correct me if I am wrong.
Reply

Laith Al-Doory
04-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Many monists do not use the term God as this implies an entity that is seperate from humanity. Monism is a belief that everything is One. This belief is universal amongst mystics: Sufis (Islamic) Kabbalists (Jewish) etc. According the the Qur'an, everything comes from God, which would imply a monist ideology.
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Laith Al-Doory
Many monists do not use the term God as this implies an entity that is seperate from humanity. Monism is a belief that everything is One. This belief is universal amongst mystics: Sufis (Islamic) Kabbalists (Jewish) etc. According the the Qur'an, everything comes from God, which would imply a monist ideology.
Kabbalists believe "everything" is one? :blind:
Reply

Laith Al-Doory
04-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
Kabbalists believe "everything" is one? :blind:
You're a Jew and you don't know that? There are ten God names on the Kabbalist's Tree of Life, which is essentially a basic map of the universal mind: Ahiah, Yah, Yahovah, Al etc. The third emanation encompasses the first 2, each being a successive oglomeration of the other, and again encompasses the remaining 7, they being a conscious reflection thereof.
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by Laith Al-Doory
You're a Jew and you don't know that? There are ten God names on the Kabbalist's Tree of Life, which is essentially a basic map of the universal mind: Ahiah, Yah, Yahovah, Al etc. The third emanation encompasses the first 2, each being a successive oglomeration of the other, and again encompasses the remaining 7, they being a conscious reflection thereof.
I have about ten names for a friend of mine that I call him once in a while as well. So your saying that Kabbalah teaches everything in the world is one? :X
Reply

shible
04-18-2007, 04:38 AM
:sl:

Come on guys this is not a post to fight on each ones viewif you wish to have a forum fight then take on a seperate thread.

This is about exploring about what u know about Hinduism....


And one more Request

Never point out any forum member by his/her religion

It is also like abusing the guys who wish to learn and Explore ISLAM.

We are here to help ourselves as well as others and not to start any kind of quarrel or fight

I hope everyone is clear





:w:
Reply

ranma1/2
04-18-2007, 04:56 AM
I think another good question if it hasnt been asked yet is.

What are the qualitites of a god in Hinduism.
How would you describe them in comparison to other concepts of gods?
Reply

King David
04-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
I have about ten names for a friend of mine that I call him once in a while as well. So your saying that Kabbalah teaches everything in the world is one? :X
I dont agree with what Laith Al-Doory said:

but:

No Tanach(Torah) Tells us everything is one!!!! (are you really jewish???)+o(

Deuteronomy 6:4


Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil Ad*nai El*heinu Ad*nai echad.
Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.

Come on Everything is from G*d!!!!
G*d is everywhere and in everything!!! (remember your pesach post)

PS: the hebrew is a link to a site so it cant be errased.
Reply

shible
04-18-2007, 05:13 AM
:sl:

There were three worlds created by the god .

the demon world

the human world

the heavenly world

but still there is a world of snakes where they live in all three worlds and some on a specific world that have powers


but there is no proper guidelines of the real one Brahman they said he was in the light form before he took the human form.


Mostly the other god i mean the godess where created from a part of god's power sharing

i mean siva gave a part of his life form and power to create godess shakti

likewise the children bron between gods where also treated as a god


if i start to answer more i will be dragged more into these stuffs it has tooooooooo many combinations and conspiracies

jus explore for more






:w:
Reply

King David
04-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by shible
:sl:

There were three worlds created by the god .
The three worlds are catually the same world(earth) in a different time: The world has three stages

the demon world
1)The world between the garden of eden and the Time of Noah.
the human world
2)The current world : Between Noah and Olam Habah(hereafter,world to come)
the heavenly world


:w:
3)The world of the Olam Habah(hereafter,world to come) that will be again like The Garden Of Eden(Paridise). Where the rightiousdead will be ressurected.
Reply

shible
04-18-2007, 06:43 AM
What i told is as per the hinduism concept they are different and all the three exist at the same time
Reply

north_malaysian
04-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Goku
Malaysia used to be hindu majority until Islam came and Malaysians embraced Islam. :)
It's true... we have ruins of old hindu temples in the northern part of Malaysia called "Lembah Bujang" (The Bachelor Valley).

Pre Islamic Malays practiced Hinduism mixing it with Buddhism and Animism. The King is the reincarnation of Gods. Malays were considered as high caste people, the descendants of Holy Mother Cow.

There were Muslims, Nestorian Christians and Jewish (Maimonides' son, reached Penang in 11th Century) traders having trades in Malaya, but the Muslim traders only managed to Islamised handful of Malays.

Then the kings were Islamised by Yemeni, Malabari and Chinese Muslim traders in the 13th Century, and the whole population became Muslims and left Hinduism-Buddhism-Animism.

After being Islamised, the Malays spread Islam to all over Indonesia, the Philippines, Borneo and Thailand.
Reply

north_malaysian
04-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
Kabbalists believe "everything" is one? :blind:
Are you referring to the religious group that Madonna joined with having red strings tied up on her hand?
Reply

King David
04-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by shible
What i told is as per the hinduism concept they are different and all the three exist at the same time
Oh ok
Reply

Malaikah
04-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
Why is that good! The fact that he is prophesized in the Hindu (pagan) scriptures only lead me to refer to the Torah which says false prophets and false gods will perform miracles to tempt you. Why on earth is being mentioned in the Pagan scriptures a good thing? :?
His theory is that Hinduism might have originally been based on the religion taught by a real prophet of God (one who God hasn't told us about. Muslims believe in about 25,000* prophets, although only about 25 have been mentioned by name). A religion of monotheism.

So, basically the idea is that the description of Muhammad (pbuh) would have been based on the original teachings of that prophet, however of the millennium the religion was change and moulded into the pagan religion it is today.

I have no idea how true this is, though. But that is the basic idea.

*If I got the number wrong can someone please correct me. :)
Reply

shible
04-18-2007, 07:53 AM
:sl:

Originally Posted by Malaikah
Muslims believe in about 25,000 prophets, although only about 25 have been mentioned by name). A religion of monotheism.
I feel like you are missing something in total number of prophets



:w:
Reply

Selising
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by shible
Sure he is one of the sons of Siva and the other son name is ganesh
hmmm their got get married and having children like a creature. Are they creatures or the creator?
Reply

shible
04-18-2007, 09:47 AM
they call them as heavenly beings and later on their seem to have the powers from either their parents or by meditating
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 10:12 AM
G*d is everywhere and in everything!!! (remember your pesach post)
I think you have no idea what I was getting at in my post. *Sigh*. :rollseyes
Reply

AvarAllahNoor
04-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Three hundred and sixty million I think.
Reply

Laith Al-Doory
04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
I have about ten names for a friend of mine that I call him once in a while as well. So your saying that Kabbalah teaches everything in the world is one? :X
Like all other mystical traditions (Sufism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc) Kabbalah is a monist doctrine with a belief in reincarnation.
Reply

King David
04-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Laith Al-Doory
Like all other mystical traditions (Sufism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc) Kabbalah is a monist doctrine with a belief in reincarnation.
But it isnt part of original judaisme.
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by King David
But it isnt part of original judaisme.
Your opinion is the same as a Muslim who rejects all the Hadiths. Ask any Muslim how valid a "quranists" opinion is. You have a right to an opinion but don't claim to speak for mainstream Judaism please.
Reply

Laith Al-Doory
04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by King David
But it isnt part of original judaisme.
The 'tree of life', a Kabbalistic symbol, is integral to an understanding of Judaism. Kabbalah has it's origins in Chaldean mysticism. Abraham was after all a Chaldean. Chaldea (Khalidiyah) in Southern Iraq corresponds to the site of the Garden of Eden and as it happens means 'land of imortality' in Arabic. Kabbalah is arguably older than Judaism.
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Laith Al-Doory
The 'tree of life', a Kabbalistic symbol, is integral to an understanding of Judaism. Kabbalah has it's origins in Chaldean mysticism. Abraham was after all a Chaldean. Chaldea (Khalidiyah) in Southern Iraq corresponds to the site of the Garden of Eden and as it happens means 'land of imortality' in Arabic. Kabbalah is arguably older than Judaism.
Well you view Judaism as a religion. We do not. The Torah which includes the Oral traditions of Kabbalah was created before the earth was according to many!
Reply

Laith Al-Doory
04-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
Well you view Judaism as a religion. We do not. The Torah which includes the Oral traditions of Kabbalah was created before the earth was according to many!
The Torah as we know it today was first written down in Babylon in approximately 300BC. The Hebrew alphabet is actually Aramaic in origin.

It could be argued that the Torah, like everything else, has always existed, if one considers time to be a subjective illusion. However, the Torah, for the most part, describes the past ie, the history of the Jews. Prophetic writings are very different in style from the historic. The Torah is very much fixed in the time in which it was written.
Reply

lavikor201
04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Laith Al-Doory
The Torah as we know it today was first written down in Babylon in approximately 300BC. The Hebrew alphabet is actually Aramaic in origin.

It could be argued that the Torah, like everything else, has always existed, if one considers time to be a subjective illusion. However, the Torah, for the most part, describes the past ie, the history of the Jews. Prophetic writings are very different in style from the historic. The Torah is very much fixed in the time in which it was written.
If you read the text just straight foward, then of course.
Reply

duskiness
04-18-2007, 10:05 PM
from Upanishad:
Then Vidagdha, the son of Sakala, asked him: "How many gods are there, Yajnavalkya?
Yajnavalky said, "As many as are indicated in the Nivid of the Visvadevas - 300 and 3003."
"Very well," said Sakalya. "How many gods exactly are there, Yajnavalkya?"
"Thirty-three."
"Very well," said Sakalya. "How many gods exactly are there, Yajnavalkya?"
"Six."
"Very well," said Sakalya. "How many gods exactly are there, Yajnavalkya?"
"Three."
"Very well," said Sakalya. "How many gods exactly are there, Yajnavalkya?"
"Two."
"Very well," said Sakalya. "How many gods exactly are there, Yajnavalkya?"
"One-and-a-half."
"Very well," said Sakalya. "How many gods exactly are there, Yajnavalkya?"
"One."
i think it sums up Hinduism well :D
Reply

Goku
04-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
It's true... we have ruins of old hindu temples in the northern part of Malaysia called "Lembah Bujang" (The Bachelor Valley).

Pre Islamic Malays practiced Hinduism mixing it with Buddhism and Animism. The King is the reincarnation of Gods. Malays were considered as high caste people, the descendants of Holy Mother Cow.

There were Muslims, Nestorian Christians and Jewish (Maimonides' son, reached Penang in 11th Century) traders having trades in Malaya, but the Muslim traders only managed to Islamised handful of Malays.

Then the kings were Islamised by Yemeni, Malabari and Chinese Muslim traders in the 13th Century, and the whole population became Muslims and left Hinduism-Buddhism-Animism.

After being Islamised, the Malays spread Islam to all over Indonesia, the Philippines, Borneo and Thailand.
Alhumdulillah how the true religion of God-Islam spread in the Malay-Indonesia areas. I did hear that it started with a few Arab traders.
Reply

north_malaysian
04-19-2007, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Goku
Alhumdulillah how the true religion of God-Islam spread in the Malay-Indonesia areas. I did hear that it started with a few Arab traders.
In the port of Malacca, it's started by Yemeni traders from Hadhramawt around 1400 CE, and according to Yemeni ambassador to Malaysia, there are 400,000 Malays of Hadrami Yemeni origin living all over the country. The King of the State of Perlis and our current Foreign Minister are Malays of Hadhrami ancestry.

But the first evidence of Islam started as early as 1303 in the eastern coastal area of Malaya. Thus, the Chinese Muslims might be the first Muslim missionaries coming to Malaysia.
Reply

north_malaysian
04-19-2007, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
Your opinion is the same as a Muslim who rejects all the Hadiths. Ask any Muslim how valid a "quranists" opinion is. You have a right to an opinion but don't claim to speak for mainstream Judaism please.
....you Jews also have the people like the "Quranist" too. In Malaysia, they're known as "Anti-Hadith" and formed an association called "Jemaah Al Qur'an Malaysia" (Malaysian Quranic Congregation). Very active in Penang led by Kasim Ahmad. They read the Quran in Malay Language only.
Reply

AvarAllahNoor
04-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Lavi, the Torah was written before the earth was created? and you know this how? does it state in the Torah? and when did the Jews get it if it's before the creation of the earth?
Reply

butterflylady
04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Hindus also say that Sanscrit letters danced before creation before God, and have the same sort of function that Hebrew letters do in the creation of the world. In the same thought they also believe that the Hindu scriptures are eternal and have existed before the beginning.
Reply

butterflylady
04-20-2007, 10:59 AM
As to how many Gods, there is one, period that is the theology which is readily explained in the Gita. I am supprised that is such a hard to understand concept. Every religion subdivides God, if not in the "physical" at least in the spiritual concept. For example when humans think of a God of judgement beings justice and condemnation, the mental picture is much different than the God who loves and brings healing, though of couse they are seen as complimentary sides of a coin.
Reply

shible
04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
:sl:

There is one more thing which i haven't discussed about hinduism

there is a belief that a normal human can obtain abnormal power in hinduism by meditating for a single god. and on seeing his dedication the specific god comes and grants him boons

this for with respect to any living being

and there is also one more thing that they believe that is there are 7 generations of life form for every human being born on earth and on those seven generation they may take any life form

for example

if he takes a lifeform of human on one gen then he will be transformed into an animal or bird or even human according to his good and bad deeds.


and i have more news but will discuss them later


:w:
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-19-2017, 11:33 PM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 07:44 PM
  3. Replies: 298
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 03:01 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2006, 06:46 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!