/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Importance Of Keeping Promises

chacha_jalebi
04-16-2007, 06:12 PM
salaam

Bismillah Ir Rahman Nir Raheem :D

now now now, when we say we will all meet up at 12.00 that means 12:p not 12.30, so the same way when we make a promise or give our word to someone we should always try to keep it :D

i remember from reading a seerah of RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam) that once a man asked RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam) to wait for him at a place and he will come back and meet RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam) there, and RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam) said "ok i will wait for you", the man went away and he forgot he had given a meeting time to RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam), so the next day when he passed past that place he found RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam), waiting for him :D subhanAllah

so we should always keep our word no matter what because Allah (swt) says in surah al Isra v34

"And fulfill (every) covenant. Verily! The covenant will be questioned about.

a promise can be to people but by calling our self muslims, we have a promise to Allah (swt) aswell, and that promise is to fulfill our islamic duties, like pray, fast. be goodys, Allah (swt) says about this in surah an Nahl v91:

"And fulfill the Covenant of Allah (Bai`ah: pledge for Islam) when you have covenanted.''

and again Allah (swt) says in surah al Maidah v 5

"O you who believe! Fulfill (your) obligations.''

and when you dont keep promises, Allah (swt) says...

in surah as saff v2-3

"O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do? Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do.''

now il just like to remind them people that run out of reps and say il rep you next time and they never do lol this is your chance :p lol naa jokin :D

some hadiths :shade:

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Three are the signs of a hypocrite: When he speaks, he lies; when he makes a promise, he breaks it; and when he is trusted, he betrays his trust.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Another narration adds the words: "Even if he observes Saum (fasts), performs Salat (prayer) and claims to be a Muslim.''

Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`as (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Four are the qualities which, when found in a person, make him a sheer hypocrite, and one who possesses one of them, possesses one characteristic of hypocrisy until he abandons it. These are: When he is entrusted with something, he betrays trust; when he speaks, he lies; when he promises, he acts treacherously; and when he argues, he behaves in a very imprudent, insulting manner.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

now if some one has died and you know that they have made some promises to people, you should fulfill it for them as the followin hadiths shows

Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said to me, "When the revenues of Bahrain will arrive, I shall give you such and such and such.'' He passed away before the revenues were received. When they arrive during the caliphate of Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him), he ordered to be announced: "Anyone whom Messenger of Allah (PBUH) promised or owed anything, should come to him.'' I went to him and said: "Messenger of Allah (PBUH) had said to me such and such.'' He took a double handful out of the money and gave it to me. I counted it and found that it was five hundred dirham. Then Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) said to me: "Take twice as much more of that amount.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

when we say something we should be really careful, because as soon as we say somethin its written, as Allah (swt) says in surah Qaf v18

"Not a word does he utter, but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)"

so before we make a promise we should think can we fulfill it and we should always keep promises :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
04-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Wa Alaikumussalaam Wa Rahmatulaah

Masha Allah nice post!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.