/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fast-growing Islam winning converts in Western world by CNN

FatimaAsSideqah
04-17-2007, 07:57 PM
:salamext:

April 14, 1997
Web posted at: 11:41 p.m. EDT (0341 GMT)
From Correspondent Gayle Young

CAIRO (CNN) -- In the port city of Suez -- and across the Islamic world -- they are celebrating the Hajj, the pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca.

"This is a joyous day and the best day in the life of a man," said pilgrim Hussein Suleiman Hussein. "It is as if I am being born anew."

Millions of Muslims across the world will trek to Mecca this week for the annual religious event. They circle the Kaaba, a shrine that contains a black stone sacred to the Prophet Mohammed.

Mohammed decreed that every Muslim who can afford it make the Hajj at least once. It is one of five holy duties required in Islam.

A Muslim's first duty is to proclaim that there is only one God and that Mohammed is his prophet. Muslims also must pray five times a day, give charity to the poor and fast during the daylight hours of the holy month of Ramadan.

When a cannon signals that the sun has set during Ramadan, Muslims in Cairo break their fast with friends and family, often inviting the poor to share their meals.

Fastest-growing religion

The second-largest religion in the world after Christianity, Islam is also the fastest-growing religion. In the United States, for example, nearly 80 percent of the more than 1,200 mosques have been built in the past 12 years.

Some scholars see an emerging Muslim renaissance as Islam takes root in many traditionally Christian communities.

Islam has drawn converts from all walks of life, most notably African-Americans. Former NAACP President Benjamin Chavis, who joined the Nation of Islam recently, personifies the trend.

"In societies where you have minorities that are discriminated against, I think they may find an appeal in Islam," said Waleed Kazziha of American University in Cairo.

Many moderate Islamic countries such as Turkey and Egypt are becoming more conservative.

Two decades ago, few middle-class Egyptian women wore scarves or veils on their heads. Now they crowd into special emporiums that advertise Islamic clothing.

The shift toward Islamic fundamentalism worries many in the secular world, a fear underscored when splinter groups target Westerners with violent attacks.

Islam vs. the West

But most scholars argue that the extremists are a very small minority and that most Muslims adhere to principles in the Koran that teach peace and tolerance.

"The Islamic world is like any other society we have known in history," said Kazziha. "You might say it has the good, the bad and the ugly."

Founded in 622 A.D., Islam is among the newer major religions. But to the non-Muslim world, it sometimes appears inflexible. Clashes between Islamic tradition and Western influence are sweeping the globe.

In Islam, contrary to Western beliefs, the rights of the community are considered more important than the rights of the individual. Women are seen primarily as caretakers of the home, and religion strongly influences schools, government and courts.

Many Muslims today are trying to find a balance between being members of a global society and maintaining ties to a religion that calls for strict adherence to the Koran.

A case in point is 35-year-old Hisham Hussein, a wealthy playboy who turned to religion and swore off alcohol after an automobile accident.

He is going to Mecca this spring. "The most important thing is to maintain the purity of the Hajj, to lead a pure life," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9704/14/egypt.islam/

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FatimaAsSideqah
04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
:sl:

What are your options?

:w:

- Qatada -
04-17-2007, 08:51 PM
:salamext:

Maasha Allaah thats interesting :)

wilberhum
04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
I thought CNN was one of those evil American propaganda machines.

I always like the concept of “If I like what they say, they are right, if I don’t like what they say, they are wrong”.

Interesting.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
04-17-2007, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum

I always like the concept of “If I like what they say, they are right, if I don’t like what they say, they are wrong”.

Interesting.
It's not like that actually.

It's pretty simple, people think that if they have something which they might gain in then they might give out wrong info knowingly or unknowingly, but what would they have to gain out of saying Islam is the fastes thing.

Anyhow, in reality for all those who like conspiracy stuff, then we could say, maybe they just lied to make people become more scared that Muslims are brainwashing.

Philosopher
04-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Interesting.
Seriously dude, get a job! Nobody had bad opinions about CNN. All news stations have bias, and people agree with news stations that appeal to their views. Conservatives dislike BBC while liberals hate FOX. I dunno if you were sarcastic, but most of your posts reflect scarcity of critical thinking.

Philosopher
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Also, does anyone have real statistics regarding the conversion rate of Islam in the West?

wilberhum
04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
Also, does anyone have real statistics regarding the conversion rate of Islam in the West?
Of course not.
Seriously dude, get a job!
Many have had bad opinions about CNN. All news stations have bias, even IslamOnline and people agree with news stations that appeal to their views. Conservatives dislike BBC while liberals hate FOX. Also those that like really bias news love Fox. I dunno if you were sarcastic, but obviously I was. That would explain you think most of my posts reflect scarcity of critical thinking.
But then a Philosopher should know better. :skeleton:

nurul3eyn
04-17-2007, 10:09 PM
"The most important thing is to maintain the purity of the Hajj, to lead a pure life,"
True :)

Philosopher
04-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Of course not.
Seriously dude, get a job!
Many have had bad opinions about CNN. All news stations have bias, even IslamOnline and people agree with news stations that appeal to their views. Conservatives dislike BBC while liberals hate FOX. Also those that like really bias news love Fox. I dunno if you were sarcastic, but obviously I was. That would explain you think most of my posts reflect scarcity of critical thinking.
But then a Philosopher should know better. :skeleton:
Is making silly posts your full time occupation?

Muezzin
04-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Deleting posts is my part time occupation.

Actually, it's more of a bad habit.

Seriously folks, let's just discuss the first post and not get sidetracked.

mas
04-18-2007, 04:37 AM
i heard nation of islam is not apart of islam
i heard they got another prophet
dont know . they say its made up!!!
any info about it guys!

shible
04-18-2007, 04:51 AM

A message for BOth sides

In case if you think CNN as Bad go for another new channel which you hope delivers the real news and you will surely find out some info on this news. or provide proper source for your argument

if you think CNN is good then dig more about this news and provide more info such that those who think your post is not accurate will settle down after seeing that

NoName55
04-18-2007, 06:14 AM

Interesting.
CNN is not doing anything against its nature/type, their message can also serve to frighten non-Muslims or cause alarm at the very least. [stir people to start a culling drive (as if it has not already begun)]

does anyone have real statistics regarding the conversion rate of Islam in the West?
The growth rate of Islam, according to the U.S. Center for World Mission, at 2.9% is higher than the 2.6% growth rate of the world's population. Thus, the percentage of Muslims in the world is growing on the order of 0.6% per year.

Barrett & Johnson's estimated in an article in the International Bulletin of Missionary Research that the number of Muslims would grow from 1.22 billion in the year 2000 to 1.89 billion by 2025.

Author Samuel Huntington predicts that "Muslims in the world will continue to increase dramatically, amounting to 20 percent of the world's population about the turn of the [21st] century, surpassing the number of Christians some years later

'Abd al-Baari
04-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Mashallah an interesting article
Jazakallah Khair for sharing

north_malaysian
04-18-2007, 07:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady
Two decades ago, few middle-class Egyptian women wore scarves or veils on their heads. Now they crowd into special emporiums that advertise Islamic clothing.
In Malaysia, in the early 1980s, only religious teachers wears hijab, now more than 90% of the Malaysian Muslim women wears hijab. Even our queen wears hijab.

The best thing of it, the more educated the woman, the higher the possibility that she'll be wearing the hijab. Many of them are professors, engineers, lawyers, scientists and current Hijab clad Malaysian girls conquering between 60% - 75% of the whole universities' students..

guyabano
04-18-2007, 07:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Deleting posts is my part time occupation.

Actually, it's more of a bad habit.

Seriously folks, let's just discuss the first post and not get sidetracked.
C'mon man, I'm so tired of this. Last time in a similar thread, I posted a text, where I copy paste dozens of links prooving the opposite, that islam loose much people, and guess what : I got 20 points warning from our copy/paste hero for spamming and blasphemy.

So where is the sense of discussing, or running a forum, when we must be all the same opinion.

Now you can warn me also and delete my post (again) !

snakelegs
04-18-2007, 08:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mas
i heard nation of islam is not apart of islam
i heard they got another prophet
dont know . they say its made up!!!
any info about it guys!
you are correct - nation of islam is not a part of islam, mainly because they have their own prophet.
malcolm x realized this toward the end of his life and left them and embraced islam.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-18-2007, 08:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
C'mon man, I'm so tired of this. Last time in a similar thread, I posted a text, where I copy paste dozens of links prooving the opposite, that islam loose much people, and guess what : I got 20 points warning from our copy/paste hero for spamming and blasphemy. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/boese/a025.gif
So where is the sense of discussing, or running a forum, when we must be all the same opinion.

Dude, it's an Islamic forum for G-ds sake! No Muslim wants to read about someone leaving Islam. Especially when most of us are here to get closer to our faith. And we are well aware of it. And most of them end up bashing, so uh yea, common sense helps :X

Muezzin
04-18-2007, 08:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
C'mon man, I'm so tired of this. Last time in a similar thread, I posted a text, where I copy paste dozens of links prooving the opposite, that islam loose much people, and guess what : I got 20 points warning from our copy/paste hero for spamming and blasphemy. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/boese/a025.gif

I'm not saying you have to agree with the first post, just don't get sidetracked as some people here have when they started discussing the veracity of the media, which is a discussion that belongs in another thread.

If you have any further queries, please PM me.

guyabano
04-18-2007, 09:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy

Dude, it's an Islamic forum for G-ds sake! No Muslim wants to read about someone leaving Islam. Especially when most of us are here to get closer to our faith. And we are well aware of it. And most of them end up bashing, so uh yea, common sense helps :X
Well thank you! Anyway, you are right, when you go to a christian forum, they exactly say the opposite.

AvarAllahNoor
04-18-2007, 10:55 AM
What are the stats?

Woodrow
04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
What are the stats?
Here in the US it is just about impossible to obtain full stats about religion. Any answers about religious affiliation are strictly voluntary. It is illegal to require anybody to divulge religious affiliation.

Some estimates can be made by the number of Religious facilities that request tax exempt status for being a place of worship. However, there are many Mosques that are simply a person's home and Tax exemption has not been made. So In my opinion, the calculated estimates are less than the actual number of Muslims in the US.

Current official Government estimates are:

Religion

The Bureau of the Census collected information in the Census of Religious Bodies from 1906-1936. This information was obtained from religious organizations.

Public Law 94-521 prohibits us from asking a question on religious affiliation on a mandatory basis; therefore, the Bureau of the Census is not the source for information on religion.

Some statistics on religion can be found in the Statistical Abstract of the United States, the section on Population.

Please contact one of the following for further assistance regarding religious information:
Some guesses by assorted groups:

For 2001 and projected estimate for 2004

Islam 527,000 1,104,000 1,558,068 0.5% +109%

Shows a projected increase from 527,000 Muslims in the US in 2001 to a projected number of 1,558,068 in 2004

Source: http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

this next link shows the 2006 estimate of Muslims as being 1.55% of the total population. In the First Site above the 2004 Estimate was 0.5% of the Total Population so that is an estimated 300% increase in 5 years.

Source: http://www.thearda.com/international..._233_234_1.asp

Amadeus85
04-19-2007, 08:32 AM
I know this forum for quite a while, and i understand that this i an islamic site..And i know that many posts here are bin deleted :) .But i will tell you something..I visit everyday one christian site from my country. It is very good website, just like islamic board :D . But i see one big difference among these sites..In this christian site there are exposed also threads showing bad sides of world church and failures of christian community, not only succeses and victories. For xample i read there many times that many westerners leave Church and become atheists and sometimes muslims. i think that it would be also good for this forum to become more crytical and realistic for nowadays islamic world.You should show not only triumphs of modern islam ( like for example winning converts in West) but also failures and things which must be improved (i know that nowadays more muslims beome christans than ever before).I just propose You more realism.It will be better for this site ( that will be seen as more honest ) and for muslims who will be aware of what is really happening in the world.:) It is just my own opinion.

north_malaysian
04-19-2007, 08:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
I know this forum for quite a while, and i understand that this i an islamic site..And i know that many posts here are bin deleted :) .But i will tell you something..I visit everyday one christian site from my country. It is very good website, just like islamic board :D . But i see one big difference among these sites..In this christian site there are exposed also threads showing bad sides of world church and failures of christian community, not only succeses and victories. For xample i read there many times that many westerners leave Church and become atheists and sometimes muslims. i think that it would be also good for this forum to become more crytical and realistic for nowadays islamic world.You should show not only triumphs of modern islam ( like for example winning converts in West) but also failures and things which must be improved (i know that nowadays more muslims beome christans than ever before).I just propose You more realism.It will be better for this site ( that will be seen as more honest ) and for muslims who will be aware of what is really happening in the world.:) It is just my own opinion.
Muslims have to learn about why ex-Muslims left Islam. We dont want to be in a comfort zone forever.....

We are totally happy with praises when people reverting back to us, but SILENT when some of us left Islam.

As long as those stories are not degrading Islam too much, we should allow it here ... in this forum.

I believe that those people left Islam because of Muslims' behaviours not because of Islam.

Nablus
04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
In the United States, for example, nearly 80 percent of the more than 1,200 mosques have been built in the past 12 years.
Thanx to every muslim who participates in spreading Islam.May Allah bless him

thanx

Chiteng
04-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Question:

I am NOT Islamic, so please forgive my ignorance.

If I lived ten thousand miles away, but had saved up enough money to
attend the Hajj......

What if I owed other men money where I live?
Do I pay them, and not go? Or do I go, and pay them next year?

I have no idea, what the answer is.

Woodrow
04-19-2007, 11:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chiteng
Question:

I am NOT Islamic, so please forgive my ignorance.

If I lived ten thousand miles away, but had saved up enough money to
attend the Hajj......

What if I owed other men money where I live?
Do I pay them, and not go? Or do I go, and pay them next year?

I have no idea, what the answer is.
All things in Islam take into consideration a person's abilities or inabilities. A person is not expected to do that which they are not physicaly or financialy able to do.

In the case you mention, I see many factors involved. What is the nature of the debts? Specificaly what were they for and who are they owed to. If they are owed to Muslim friends the first thing to do would be to contact the friends and explain the situation. If they are Muslim and could afford to wait on repayment I am certain they would encourage him to go on the Hajj and pay the debts at a later date.

Woodrow
04-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Interesting post. There actually is a pretty good balance of posts dipicting the good and bad events in the Islamic world. This forum is very much dependent on input from members. There are section for nearly any type of thread.

The problem as I see it , it is not an attempt to hide anything negative. All of the negative things I have seen posted where posted in a manner that I saw as Bashing Islam and attacks against Muslims. Not as unbiased reports from verifiable sources. Constructive honest criticism is always welcome, but a lot is dependant on the manner the poster presents it.

If memory serves me right there have been several fairly recent threads discussing Muslims leaving Islam in Africa.

Members do post threads such as you mention. A search for some may bring them up. The problem is often they either generate no response and fall to the back pages, or they end up being vicious uncalled for attacks and then they get deleted.

Amadeus85
04-19-2007, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Interesting post. There actually is a pretty good balance of posts dipicting the good and bad events in the Islamic world. This forum is very much dependent on input from members. There are section for nearly any type of thread.

The problem as I see it , it is not an attempt to hide anything negative. All of the negative things I have seen posted where posted in a manner that I saw as Bashing Islam and attacks against Muslims. Not as unbiased reports from verifiable sources. Constructive honest criticism is always welcome, but a lot is dependant on the manner the poster presents it.

If memory serves me right there have been several fairly recent threads discussing Muslims leaving Islam in Africa.

Members do post threads such as you mention. A search for some may bring them up. The problem is often they either generate no response and fall to the back pages, or they end up being vicious uncalled for attacks and then they get deleted.
Im glad that you see my point. Actually in World Affairs there were no threads about latest attacks in Algeria.I really dont know why.Websites like islamonline ( which i respect and visit also every day) brought much attention to those tragic events.

Woodrow
04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Im glad that you see my point. Actually in World Affairs there were no threads about latest attacks in Algeria.I really dont know why.Websites like islamonline ( which i respect and visit also every day) brought much attention to those tragic events.
No member has submitted a thread about them yet. Although us mods do sometimes start threads. It is best for the members to start threads in matters that are of concern to them.

I think one thing that changes the types of threads submitted is the diversity of the membership.

There are times when the majority of the people posting are non-Muslim and at those times the submitted posts will reflect what is of interest to them. Some days it seems that that of the posters are the pre-teens and younger. On those times the submitted threads will be what they submit. And so it goes.

Please feel free to submit a thread about anything that is of concern to you. But, remember the threads in World affairs are only approved once per day between 9 and 11 PM GMT. They may be submitted at any hour, but that is the time they will be reviewed.

I am really surprised nobody has submitted anything about Algeria. I thought many members would be submitting that story.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-19-2007, 01:32 PM

23 Killed, 160 Injured in Bomb Attacks in Algeria's Capital

ALGIERS, Algeria — Bombs heavily damaged the prime minister's office and a police station Wednesday, killing at least 23 people and wounding about 160, the country's official news agency said. Al Qaeda's wing in North Africa claimed responsibility.

Prime Minister Abdelaziz Belkhadem, who was unhurt, called the attack a "cowardly, criminal terrorist act" as he spoke to reporters outside his wrecked offices.

Click here for more news from Africa.

The attacks were a devastating setback for the North African nation's efforts to close the chapter on its Islamic insurgency that has killed 200,000 people. After years of relative calm, the Al Qaeda affiliate recently has recently waged several smaller attacks in the oil- and gas-rich nation.

According to Arab broadcaster Al-Jazeera, a spokesman for Al Qaeda in Islamic North Africa claimed responsibility for the attacks, saying they were carried out by three homicide bombers in trucks packed with explosives.

Belkhadem declined to say how many had been killed or wounded. The official APS agency said at least 23 people were killed and 160 wounded in the two attacks but gave no breakdown. The other bombing targeted the police station of Bab Ezzouar, east of the capital, Algiers, on the road to its airport.

Witnesses said at least one of the attacks appeared to have been a car bomb.

A charred, wrecked car lay on the pavement about 98 feet from the gates of the government building — a modern white, block-like high-rise that also houses the Interior Ministry.

On Tuesday in neighboring Morocco, police surrounded a building in Casablanca where four terrorism suspects were holed up, causing three to flee and blow themselves up with explosives. The fourth was shot to death by a police sharpshooter as he apparently tried to detonate his bomb. A police officer was killed and 10 people, including a young child and a policeman, suffered injuries.

Since five suicide bombings that killed 45 people in Morocco in May 2003, police have pursued an unprecedented crackdown on suspected militants, arresting thousands of people, including some accused of working with Al Qaeda and its affiliates to plot attacks in Morocco and abroad.

Algeria's insurgency broke out in 1992, after the army canceled legislative elections that an Islamic party appeared set to win.

Since then, violence related to the insurgency has left an estimated 200,000 dead — civilians, soldiers and Islamic fighters — according to the government.

Military crackdowns and amnesty offers had turned them into a ragtag assembly of fighters in rural hideouts, and for several years, the government appeared to have them basically under control.

Algeria's main militant group recently changed its name to Al Qaeda in Islamic North Africa and began targeting foreigners — signs that the country's dwindling ranks of Islamic fighters were regrouping.

The latest attacks, especially on Belkhadem's office, showed that the militants are far from beaten, even though experts say that they number perhaps no more than several hundred people.

Belkhadem expressed bitterness at insurgents who refused the amnesty offers.

"The Algerian people stretched out a hand to them, and they respond with a terrorist act," he said.

Al-Jazeera said it received a telephone call from a spokesman for Al Qaeda in Islamic North Africa, identified as Abu Mohammed Salah, who claimed responsibility for the attacks.

The caller said that the explosions were carried out by three al-Qaeda members in trucks "filled" with explosives. His claims could not be independently confirmed.

"We won't rest until every inch of Islamic land is liberated from foreign forces," the spokesman said in a recording of the phone call played on Al-Jazeera.

Fayza Kebdi, a lawyer who works in an office opposite the government building, said the blast, about 10:45 a.m. local time, shattered her windows and blew her husband clear across the room.

"We thought the years of terrorism were over," she said. "We thought that everything was back to normal. But now, the fear is coming back."

The attacks were the deadliest to hit the Algiers region since 2002, when a bomb in a market in a suburb killed 38 people and injured 80.

Police cordoned off stairs leading up to the government building with orange police tape, and paramedics raced up the steps with stretchers. Paramedics escorted a man with blood on his head into an ambulance. Another woman, looking dazed and in tears, was checked for head injuries.

A March 3 bombing of a bus carrying workers for a Russian company killed a Russian engineer and three Algerians. A December attack near Algiers and targeting a bus carrying foreign employees of an affiliate of Halliburton killed an Algerian and a Lebanese citizen.

Al Qaeda in Islamic North Africa — the new name for the Salafist Group for Call and Combat, known by its French abbreviation GSPC — claimed responsibility for both attacks.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265240,00.html

Woodrow
04-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Thank you RightousLady,

If anyone desires to copy that as a thread and post it as a seperate thread, please do so.

However, if any replies are made in this thread and take this thread off-topic the replies will be deleted. That is a separate topic and needs to be discussed in it's own thread.

AvarAllahNoor
04-19-2007, 02:51 PM
My understanding is if you can afford to go then do, if you can't no point in taking out bank loans and put yourself in debt. God can see all, you won't need to make a trip to Makka just to show your appreciation.

Woodrow
04-19-2007, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
My understanding is if you can afford to go then do, if you can't no point in taking out bank loans and put yourself in debt. God can see all, you won't need to make a trip to Makka just to show your appreciation.
that is correct. However if we are in sufficient health and financial able, it is an obligation and no excuses allowed. It is to be done at least once in our lifetime. That is the required. So if we have a year we can do it and don't, then get in an accident and can never travel agin. we have failed in our obligation.

Muezzin
04-19-2007, 11:58 PM
And with that, we all get back to the topic at hand. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Contemporary figures for Islam are usually between 900 million and 1.4 billion, with 1 billion being a figure frequently given in comparative religion texts, probably because it's such a nice, round number. The largest and best known branches of Islam are Sunni and Shi'ite. More.
Many Muslims (and some non-Muslim) observers claim that there are more practicing Muslims than practicing Christians in the world. Adherents.com has no reason to dispute this. It seems likely, but we would point out that there are different opinions on the matter, and a Muslim may define "practicing" differently than a Christian. In any case, the primary criterion for the rankings on this page is self-identification, which has nothing to do with practice.

Smaller groups within Islam include Sufis (although some Sufis regard their practice of Sufism as pan-denominational or non-denominational), Druze, the U.S.-based Nation of Islam (previously known as "Black Muslims"), and Ahmadiyya. As is true with all major religions, there are adherents within all branches of Islam who consider some of or all of the other branches heterodox or not actually part of their religion. But these classifications are based primarily on historical lineage and self-identification. Protestations and disagreements based on exclusivistic internal concepts of belief or practice are normal, but are largely immaterial with regards to historical, taxonomic and statistical classification.

Branch Number of Adherents
  • Sunni - 940,000,000
  • Shiite - 120,000,000
  • Ahmadiyya - 10,000,000 *
  • Druze - 450,000

Note: As with all other religions listed on this page (including Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism and Hinduism), not all historical branches of Islam consider each other acceptably orthodox. The numerically largest branch of Islam, Sunnis, believe that adherence to the five pillars of Islam and acceptance of certain key doctrinal positions are requisite for an individual's classification as a Muslim. Statistical data collection and secular/academic classification, however, are primarily based on self-identification and historical considerations.
The Druze, for example, are not considered part of the numerically dominant (i.e. "mainstream") Muslim grouping. But Druze are classified from a secular/historical perspective as a branch of Islam because they are derived from a branch of Shi'ite Islam. Having developed independently for hundreds of years, their cultural and religious self-concept is primarily Druze, without regard to how outside groups perceive or classify them. Nevertheless, they retain some self-concept as Muslims in addition to their clear historical ties.

This is merely a list of major branches of Islam. There are other groups which fall outside of the groups listed here. In the United States the Nation of Islam has varied widely in numerical and ideological prominence among American Muslims. It has variously been considered both heretical and acceptable by other Muslims. Sufism has been variously classified as a separate branch, a pan-Muslim movement, an order, a discipline, and as heretical or acceptable, as viewed by other groups. Movements such as the Moorish Science Temple and the Five Percenters have arisen from time to time, but have remained numerically minor. On balance, of course, Islam has exhibited far less division into different branches than other large religions.

World's Most Muslim Nations
The populations of the following countries are almost entirely Muslim (About 99.5% or more of the native populations, and nearly all of the foreign workers, are Muslim.) Listed alphabetically.

• Bahrain
  • Comoros
  • Kuwait
  • Maldives
  • Mauritania
  • Mayotte
  • Morocco
  • Oman
  • Qatar
  • Somalia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Tunisia
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Western Sahara
  • Yemen

Top 10 Largest National Muslim Populations
Country Number
of Muslims

• Indonesia 170,310,000
  • Pakistan 136,000,000
  • Bangladesh 106,050,000
  • India 103,000,000
  • Turkey 62,410,000
  • Iran 60,790,000
  • Egypt 53,730,000
  • Nigeria 47,720,000
  • China 37,108,000

China should clearly be included among the top 10 largest national Muslim communities, although it was not on the list in Russell Ash's book, which is the main source of information for this list. Reliable religious statistics are difficult to obtain from this Communist nation, and the actual number of Muslims in China may be greater than the figure presented above. Mojtaba Shabani wrote to Adherents.com with the following comments:

The Muslim population in China is 11% by Muslim sources. This is based on the fact the ethnic "Hui" group are predominantly Muslim, and 9% of the population belong to this group. And then there are Uigurs and other Turkic people in addition to that, mostly in northwestern China, who constitute the remaining 2%... 11% would be around 120 million.

Adherents.com has no argument with Mr. Shabani's calculations, but as we currently have no published references supporting the higher figure we are using the CIA figure in the list above, with the caveat that it is probably too low and, according to Mr. Shabani, the CIA is biased against Muslims.

U.S. States With Highest Proportion
of Muslims in the Population
State Percent

• New York 0.80%
  • California 0.60
  • New Jersey 0.60
  • Washington, D.C. 0.60
  • Illinois 0.40
  • Massachusetts 0.40
  • Ohio 0.40
  • Rhode Island 0.40

This data set is from the 1990 National Survey of Religious Identification, conducted by the City University of New York, based on self-identification, as collected through a nationwide phone survey of 113,000 people.

http://www.adherents.com/

:wasalamex

Philosopher
04-20-2007, 01:49 AM
I know Islam is growing, but that is largely due to the birth rates.

Does anybody know specifically the conversion rate to Islam, particularly in the West?

Thanks!

Umm Yoosuf
04-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum

There are couple of threads on this subject.

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...-religion.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...-official.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...-religion.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ion-earth.html

Woodrow
04-20-2007, 08:18 AM

Does anybody know specifically the conversion rate to Islam, particularly in the West?

Thanks!
It is rather difficult to calculate the numbers of new Muslims in the US as to by birth or conversion. However, if you agree with the figures I quoted a few posts back the number of Muslims in the US tripled from the Years 2001 to 2006.

I would suspect that rate of growth would have to be primarily from conversion increases rather than birth rate.

to get that type of growth from births alone there would have had to been 2 babies born for each US Muslim (Male and Female) here in 2001
that seems a to be a nearly impossible rate. Most logical would be that it is about an equal number of reverts as births.

KAding
04-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Thanks!
I think we simply don't know for the US or worldwide, at least I could not find any research on the subject. However, in Holland in 2005 the National Statistics Bureau estimated that out of the 1 million Muslims there were about 5 to 10 thousand Dutch converts. Most of the converts were women who married a Muslim man.

north_malaysian
04-28-2007, 04:34 AM

Thanks!
For Malaysia:

Conversions to Islam all over Malaysia:

1990 - 3,826
1991 - 3,753
1992 - 4,512
1993 - 5,130
1994 - 5,470
1995 - 5,401
1996 - 5,924
1997 - 6,628
1998 - 5,598
1999 - 4,924
2000 - 5,445
2001 - 4,900
2002 - 6,891
2003 - 6,751
2004 - 7,377

Source: Laman Informasi Islam (Islam Information Site)

http://www.islam.gov.my/informasi/

Philosopher
04-28-2007, 06:40 AM
I dont care even if Islam is indeed the largest religion in the world. I care about the quality of the Ummah, not the size. That is why I consider Christians to be losers even if theyr are the largest.

guyabano
04-28-2007, 04:02 PM
... even if theyr are the largest.
and it will always be

bro_ali1
04-28-2007, 04:17 PM

Interesting.
Alhumdulillah, those were my exact thoughts when i read the title of this thread. The mere mention of media cooperations like CNN, FOX, BBC etc.. bring feelings of immense hatred. Information from such media sources i just regard as rubbish, as it has been proven to be in the past many a times.

NobleMuslimUK
04-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Media COVER-age, of whats true has always been the case, its nothing new. If you sit in front of the tv and watch something repeatedly over and over it comes across as a fact and all the rest of the propaganda along them lines.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.