/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "wipe of the map" - Wrong translation???

j4763
04-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Came across this:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...articleId=4527

Is it a wrong translation? Some Farsi-speakers could help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
04-18-2007, 09:00 PM
There seems to be something wrong with the link tags. Hmm. Try posting the full link, and I or another moderator will sort out the tags.

Edit: thanks.

j4763
04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
should be fixed now :thumbs_up

mahdisoldier19
04-19-2007, 12:35 AM
It was a wrong translation, i speak farsi, very wrong translation, he meant the current goverment, not the entire people. He said the current government which is oppressing the Palestinians should be taken out.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Chechnya
04-19-2007, 12:40 AM
It was a wrong translation, i speak farsi, very wrong translation, he meant the current goverment, not the entire people. He said the current government which is oppressing the Palestinians should be taken out.
mmm thats interesting

what do the non-muslims say to that?

wilberhum
04-19-2007, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19
When I heard "wipe of the map", I thought he wanted to destroy Israel. When I see your translation I think he wants to destroy Israel.

Wow, that makes a lot of difference. :skeleton:
:? (As he beats his head against the wall)

MTAFFI
04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
So all Ahmadinjehad wants is a change in leadership? Or does he want the middle east to be as it was "70 years ago", this still implicates he does not want the people of Israel to be where they are, and it still seems as though he is calling for Israel to be removed. I think Iran intentionally does these things so they can put a certain message out and then deny it was said and blame it on false interpretation and dance around themselves to try to look a certain way. The article even shows where it was the Iranian news which official first used these words, and since all news in Iran is basically controlled by Ahmadinejad and his regime, what does this say?

Cognescenti
04-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Let's look at how the Middle East Media Research Institute translated it:

"[T]his regime that is occupying Qods [Jerusalem] must be eliminated from the pages of history"

Oh..that makes me feel a lot better. Look...the English expression ("wipe off the map") doesn't really mean that the present topography of the State of Israel be literally scraped clean with an army of bulldozers. It means that it would cease to exist. Amadinajad seems not merely content with eliminating the "regime" in Israel....he seems to want to remove all historical references. If that doesn't mean "cease to exist" I dont know what does. What "regime" do you imagine he is talking about? Does he want Netanyahu back? Maybe he wants Sharon to come out of his coma? After all...it is a Labour government now, right?

Also note he doesnt even call "Jerusalem", Jerusalem. Add the fact that he hosted a Holocost deniers conference and sensible people are going to start to wonder what the chap is up to.

This "wrong translation" campaign is damage control. How much after the utterance are we? Several months? Amadenijad needs one of those guys with a broom and a dustpan that you see at the end of an equestrian parade to deal with the accidental road apples he drops on the international stage.

Trumble
04-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Even allowing for the correct translation, 'regime' in this context clearly means the State of Israel itself, not just the current administration.

Pk_#2
04-19-2007, 10:14 PM
:offended: wrong vocab?

noodles
04-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Alright let just assume that he was talking about taking out the current government that is in control in Israel. Would people still have a problem with that?

(I hope no one bashes me for this) I mean US went into Iraq to take out it's dictator and his regime. What's so wrong about Iran going into Israel to take out its government? For all I see is that the government in Isreal is making no effort to stop the bloodshed within the country.

(Once again, Don't you dare bash me. All I have stated is an comparison. So if you have something evil to say, I hope you don't post it here)

wilberhum
04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
I mean US went into Iraq to take out it's dictator and his regime
So you conclude that what the US did was right?
:? (after hitting head against the wall)

Philosopher
04-19-2007, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Even allowing for the correct translation, 'regime' in this context clearly means the State of Israel itself, not just the current administration.
What is wrong with desire for regime change? The US does it all the time and wages war to meet these desires.

wilberhum
04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
What is wrong with desire for regime change? The US does it all the time and wages war to meet these desires.
So you also think what the US has done is right.
Interesting.
:? (beates head against wall)

Philosopher
04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
So you conclude that what the US did was right?
:? (after hitting head against the wall)
If starting a war based on lies that led to the death of 100,000 people is "good" to you, then you must consult a doctor.

wilberhum
04-19-2007, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
If starting a war based on lies that led to the death of 100,000 people is "good" to you, then you must consult a doctor.
your implication.
What is wrong with desire for regime change?
Looks like you are the one that needs a doc. :skeleton:

Joe98
04-19-2007, 10:37 PM
At the time the Iranians never denied what was said.

The "misinterpretation" came much later.

In other words he meant what he said at the start.

Cognescenti
04-19-2007, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
Alright let just assume that he was talking about taking out the current government that is in control in Israel. Would people still have a problem with that?

(I hope no one bashes me for this) I mean US went into Iraq to take out it's dictator and his regime. What's so wrong about Iran going into Israel to take out its government? For all I see is that the government in Isreal is making no effort to stop the bloodshed within the country.

(Once again, Don't you dare bash me. All I have stated is an comparison. So if you have something evil to say, I hope you don't post it here)
There can be little doubt that many in the ME would prefer that the State of Israel cease to exist. I suspect many in Iran are among them.

What gives me pause is the coupling of that publicly expressed wish with a drive to build a nuke. Iranian nukes on missiles with imperfect guidance systems could only be used for city killing. Do you believe for a second that if the IDF were utterly anihilated in battle, the surrounding 100's of millions of Arabs would simply shake hands and greet the surviving radioactive Jews?

As for Israel...they gave up the Gaza settlements...a lot of bloody good it did them. Whatever your feelings about Israel you can't possibly argue it is a dictatorship. It is the only true, functioning democracy in the ME (not perfect, of course) :)

Chechnya
04-19-2007, 11:01 PM
At the time the Iranians never denied what was said.

The "misinterpretation" came much later.

In other words he meant what he said at the start.
most muslims want israel to be wiped off the map - so his comments wouldnt have come as a surprise to his target audience

Cognescenti
04-19-2007, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya
most muslims want israel to be wiped off the map - so his comments wouldnt have come as a surprise to his target audience
Exactly!

The only problem is the rest of the world is listening. And now, someone is trying to repair the PR damage.

wilberhum
04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya
I think that is common knowledge.
So why is it trying to be passed off as a "Wrong translation"? :skeleton:

Khan-Ghalgha
04-19-2007, 11:14 PM
What does it matter what he says anyway? Israel is there and kicking, he can talk but not do anything, israel's nuclear arsenal is enough to "wipe off" iran 100 times over and more, why are we even talking about it? it's so absolutely doesn't change anything what Ahmadinejad says, any current leader of Iran is evil per se, no matter what he says and PR wouldn't change a thing on their part.

Chechnya
04-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Exactly!

The only problem is the rest of the world is listening. And now, someone is trying to repair the PR damage.
I think that is common knowledge.
So why is it trying to be passed off as a "Wrong translation"?
Most Muslims dont really care that the whole world knows - as for ahmedinijad, he needs to stop his country being invaded so i guess this PR mission might have something to do with that

Only a complete and utter idiot would say such words about Israel publicly knowing that the Israeli-mericans would use them to justify war against Iran - so step foward Dr Ahmedinijad!
He has quite competently proven himself to be the complete and utter idiot the pro-war camp in America needed

Not a bright chap

Muezzin
04-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Doncha just love it when a seeming paradigm shift fails to change anything?

Pygoscelis
04-20-2007, 06:26 PM
I was under the impression that when he said that he was predicting the fall of the regime and its abuse of palestinians (as he saw it). I thought it was a call for and prediction of social change, rather than war or nuclear attack.

One translator put it like this

"I have no doubt that the new movement taking place in our dear Palestine is a spiritual movement which is spanning the entire Islamic world and which will soon remove this stain of disgrace from the Islamic world"

Is that a mistranslation? Is that the twisting of it by the Iranian PR machine?

Cognescenti
04-20-2007, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I was under the impression that when he said that he was predicting the fall of the regime and its abuse of palestinians (as he saw it). I thought it was a call for and prediction of social change, rather than war or nuclear attack.

One translator put it like this

"I have no doubt that the new movement taking place in our dear Palestine is a spiritual movement which is spanning the entire Islamic world and which will soon remove this stain of disgrace from the Islamic world"

Is that a mistranslation? Is that the twisting of it by the Iranian PR machine?
The translation you report and the one described above don't even sound like the same passage? Where is the mention of Jerusalem?

If these are two translations of the same Farsi text....then someone is taking a major "poetic" liberty.

mahdisoldier19
04-21-2007, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
The translation you report and the one described above don't even sound like the same passage? Where is the mention of Jerusalem?

If these are two translations of the same Farsi text....then someone is taking a major "poetic" liberty.
Farsi is very poetic

Idris
04-21-2007, 09:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mScWWtRfGQ

Barely a day goes by that one can avoid reading or hearing yet another Israeli, American or British warhawk regurgitate the broken record that Iran's President Ahmadinejad threatened to "wipe Israel off the map," framed in the ridiculous context that Israelis are being targeted for a second holocaust. This baseless rallying call for conflict holds about as much credibility as Dick Cheney's assertion that Saddam Hussein was planning to light up American skies with mushroom clouds.
You can read more on
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...7offthemap.htm

But there are some people like Republican presidential contender John McCain that did sing a song about bombing Iran. Wait for the adv on the vid.

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...ran.wbtw&wm=10

Cognescenti
04-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Farsi is very poetic
:) You know, mahdisoldier, when not on the topic of the Taliban you can be downright entertaining.

If a Farsi phrase can be interpreted in so many ways, how do they ever negotiate a landlord/tenant contract?

...you said there was a washing machine on the premises.

No I didn't.

Yes you did. Right here.

No, no, no. That means there could be a washing machine there in the future.

No there couldn't. There is a wall there.

Yes, now there is, but what if the wall ceased to exist.

Wait, do you really mean ceased to exist or do you mean simply changing the wall, such as painting it, for example?

It says what it says.

Is there to be a wall or not?

Yes and no.

Bah! And then there is this. It says here there is parking for two cars.

Yes, there is parking for two cars.

No there isn't.

How big are your cars....................

Cognescenti
04-21-2007, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Idris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mScWWtRfGQ

You can read more on
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...7offthemap.htm

But there are some people like Republican presidential contender John McCain that did sing a song about bombing Iran. Wait for the adv on the vid.

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...ran.wbtw&wm=10

McCain was clearly joking. Though Amedinajad often appears the buffoon, I don't think it is intentional. Maybe we just don't get his jokes, eh?

You tell us, what exactly did the disputed phrase mean? You might also comment on why Iran is developing missiles with range sufficient to hit Israel. Weather satellites?

Muezzin
04-21-2007, 06:18 PM
:) You know, mahdisoldier, when not on the topic of the Taliban you can be downright entertaining.

If a Farsi phrase can be interpreted in so many ways, how do they ever negotiate a landlord/tenant contract?

...you said there was a washing machine on the premises.

No I didn't.

Yes you did. Right here.

No, no, no. That means there could be a washing machine there in the future.
[And so on, and so forth, with nary a punchline in sight]
I'm sorry, I missed the part where making fun of a language you don't speak is a part of this thread. Posts like that fit the stereotypical arrogant American to a T. Please don't reduce yourself to that.

Cognescenti
04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I'm sorry, I missed the part where making fun of a language you don't speak a part of this thread.
I don't know about that. It seems the crux of the argument is precisely about what was said in a language most of us don't speak. Even so, I hereby foreswear any further Farsi gags.

Muezzin
04-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't know about that. It seems the crux of the argument is precisely about what was said in a language most of us don't speak.
Yes, but it's not the comedy corner. And at least make them funnier than that rambling list of nothingness.

Even so, I hereby foreswear any further Farsi gags.
Thank you, back to to the topic.

Cognescenti
04-21-2007, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Yes, but it's not the comedy corner. And at least make them funnier than that rambling list of nothingness.
Ouch

Muezzin
04-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Ouch
Sorry for the snappiness, I've just been involved in lugging a bathtub to the dump.

I wish I could say that was a joke.

Anyway, have any of our Farsi speakers actually seen the video (rather than read the transcript) in the original language and tried translating that segment word for word?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.