/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Heat and cold - from hell.

Abu Zakariya
08-02-2005, 12:07 AM
:sl:

I came across this hadith:

Two Sahihs that the Messenger of Allah said,

«اشْتَكَتِ النَّارُ إِلَى رَبِّهَا فَقَالَتْ: يَا رَبِّ أَكَلَ بَعْضِي بَعْضًا، فَأَذِنَ لَهَا بِنَفَسَيْنِ: نَفَسٍ فِي الشِّتَاءِ، وَنَفَسٍ فِي الصَّيْفِ، فَأَشَدُّ مَا تَجِدُونَ فِي الشِّتَاءِ مِنْ بَرْدِهَا، وَأَشَدُّ مَا تَجِدُونَ فِي الصَّيْفِ مِنْ حَرِّهَا»

(The Hellfire complained to its Lord and said, "O Lord! Some parts of me devour other parts of me.'' So He (Allah) permitted it to take two breaths: one breath in the winter and one breath in the summer. Thus, the most severe cold that you experience in the winter is from its cold, and the most severe heat that you experience in the summer is from its heat. ) In the Two Sahihs it is recorded that he said,

«إِذَا اشْتَدَّ الْحَرُّ فَأَبْرِدُوا عَنِ الصَّلَاةِ، فَإِنَّ شِدَّةَ الْحَرِّ مِنْ فَيْحِ جَهَنَّم»

(When the heat becomes intense pray the prayer when it cools down, for indeed the intense heat is from the breath of Hell.)

It is clear that we don't have all the answers. So we shouldn't doubt that this, indeed, is the reason for worm and cold weather. But I was wondering if anyone has an article concerning this hadith? Or maybe someone has some thoughts that could explain this hadith so we could understand it better insha'Allah?
Maybe the breath from Hell causes the earth to move and thus, the weather changes when the earth spins as a result of breading/blow from Hell. Allahu 'alam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
08-02-2005, 12:36 AM
:sl:
I don't know of any articles off the top of my head, but I'll just give my comments.

Its quite obvious why the Prophet saws forbade people to pray in extreme temperatures. When its very hot you can't concentrate on your prayer and your just sweating and feeling feeble, so your communication to God in your salaah is degraded. Thus, the Prophet saws metaphorically likened the temperatures to a breath from Hell. We know that a breath could mean either inhalation or exhalation, but here it is most likely inhalation, as the Hell fire pulls on you with the affliction of extreme temperatures during your worship of God.

We must keep in mind that intepreting the hadith is not like interpreting the word of God, since we know that the word of God can have several different meanings, while with the hadith its most likely that the Prophet saws meant a specific thing by the words he spoke.

I don't see any need to interpret the Prophet saws's statements in the light of science, since he wasn't trying to be a science teacher. Nevertheless, I believe that because the Prophet was inspired by God, he would not make a statement conflicting with science.

:w:

Abu Zakariya
08-02-2005, 12:57 AM
As-salaamu 'alaykum

Okay. Do you know of any ahadith that are interpreted metaphorically by the scholars?

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered something. The Prophet salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam made a very, very similar statement about feber. I don't have the actual hadith right now, but I remember it said that feber is from the heat of Hell, so drink water and it will cure you. And that could be metaphorical. So this, which is also a hadith about heat and it being from Hell, could be interpreted metaphorically, wa Allahu 'alam.

Abunaaila
08-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Narrated Aishah (radhiallahu anha) The Prophet (salla lahu alaihe wa salaam) said, "Fever is from the heat of the Hell, so abate fever with water."

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7 Hadith 5725

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abu Zakariya
08-02-2005, 11:46 PM
BarakAllah feek akhi =)

Abu Zakariya
08-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I thought of another similar thing.

The salaf used to say that the prayer was from the Akhirah, so you should leave Dunya while performing it.
Of course, this isn't supposed to be literal. So, I see your point brother ansar al-Haqq.

Abunaaila
08-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Wa Feek Barak Allah

Mahir
12-08-2008, 01:28 PM
This is what a scholar wrote:

". from the 'Fai`h' or the 'Fauj' of Hell, which means, 'from its radiation and heat.' There is a difference of opinion regarding its relation to Hell. It was said that the relation is literal. Therefore, the heat felt by one who suffers from a fever is a part of Hell, which Allah made to appear through means that He has measured so that the slaves heed to this lesson. Similarly, types of delight and elation are parts of Paradise's delight and Allah made these to appear in this life as a lesson and a reminder. It was also said that this Hadeeth (Khabar) is a figure of speech. Thus, in this case, it would mean that the heat of fever is similar to the heat of Hell to alert one's inner self to the intensity of the heat of the Fire and that the heat of fever is similar to the Fire's Fai`h' in that it touches those near it." (Fathul Baari)

^[AnKaBooT]^
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
ive read that one of the hells is 'Cold Hell' meaning it is so cold that people ask to be rather put in the 'Hot Hell'.

جوري
06-26-2010, 03:38 AM
nice thread I am subscribing..

:w:

brotherubaid
06-26-2010, 10:20 AM
http://www.subulassalaam.com/article...article_id=111

The Coldness of Zamhareer
Reference: Tafseer Asmaa Allaah al Husnaa See article http://www.subulassalaam.com/referen....cfm?ref_id=40
Author: Number of scholars

Ibnul Qayyim stated:
Allaah’s statement:

{ Nothing cool shall they taste therein, nor any drink. Except boiling water, and Ghasaaqaa”} [Al Naba: 24-25]
It is Zamhareer, it burns them with its extreme cold just as it burns them with its heat. It was also stated by Mujaahid and Muqaatil that it is the peak of coldness.

[Badaa’i al Fawaa-id: 2/244]

Al Haafidh ibn Rajab stated:

Allaah the Elevated rendered what is in this world, in terms of heat and cold, related to the heat and cold of the Hell fire, and an evidence for it, and this is why it is recommend to seek refuge from the Hell fire when one experiences this [i.e. the heat and cold].

As was narrated by ‘Uthmaan ad Daarimee and others, the Hadeeth of Daraaj, on the authority of Abu Haytham…that Abu Hurayrah narrated to him that the Prophet- صلى الله عليه وسلم - said:

If a man says on a hot day; ‘There is no deity worthy of worship in truth but Allaah, how hot it is today! O Allaah! Save me from the heat of Jahannam [the Hell fire].’

Allaah would say to Jahannam; “Indeed a servant of Mine has asked Me for salvation from your heat, indeed I hold you as a witness that I have granted him salvation.”

And if a servant says on an extremely cold day; ‘There is no deity worthy of worship in truth but Allaah, how cold it is today! O Allaah! Save me from the Zamhareer of Jahannam.’

Allaah would say to Jahannam; “Indeed a servant of Mine has sought refuge with me from your Zamhareer, indeed I hold you as a witness that I have granted him refuge.”

The companions asked: “What is the Zamhareer of Jahannam?

He replied: “It is an abode where the disbeliever is thrown, he would be torn apart by its extreme cold.” [1]

[Fat-h al Baaree: 3/71]

Al ‘Aynee stated:

There is nothing to prevent Zamhareer from emitting from the same Hell fire, because what is meant by ‘the Hell fire’ is its place, which is Jahannam, and there is a level of Zamhareer in it.

It was said that there is no contradiction here in combing between heat and cold in the Hell fire, because the Hell fire is Jahannam, and it has been narrated that parts of it are fire and other parts are Zamhareer, and they are not in the same place, it is impossible that they are combined in one place.

I say [Al ‘Aynee]: The One who created the dominion including ice and fire, is able to combine two opposites in one place. In addition, the Hell fire is from the affairs of the unseen, and the affairs of the unseen are not to be compared to the affairs of this world.

[‘Umdat al Qaaree: 7350]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] The Hadeeth was declared as inauthentic by al Albaanee.

muslimahhhh
06-27-2010, 03:13 AM
^JazakAllahu khair Brother Ubaid.

Wonderful thread, MashaAllah.

ayesha.ansari
07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
But i was listened that the heat of Hell is far more than the heat of a sun. Isn't it true? May ALLAH save all of us from the heat of Hell. Ameen

__follower
07-21-2010, 10:48 AM
very good thread
thanks

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.