/* */

PDA

View Full Version : uni...dropping out..

Confucius
04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
salamunalikum..

has anyone here dropped out of university?? i rly want to do so, im in my first yr of uni, doing pharmacy...but i have NO idea what ill do after...maybe im just being lazy...

i hate exams, i hate working, i hate the lectures...i dont even turn upto them and im the laziest person in academic work among my m8s....but my parents dnt understand!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
04-19-2007, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nuj
salamunalikum..

has anyone here dropped out of university?? i rly want to do so, im in my first yr of uni, doing pharmacy...but i have NO idea what ill do after...maybe im just being lazy...

i hate exams, i hate working, i hate the lectures...i dont even turn upto them and im the laziest person in academic work among my m8s....but my parents dnt understand!!
When I became Muslim I found college very difficult, I wish I had been stronger, I dont see how I could have but when I think back now, I see so much benefit if I had stayed.

Let me give you an example, if I had stayed at college then I'd have some sort of evidence that I'll be able to cope with an Islamic course, now I dont have that, although my reasons for leaving, in my view were important, I still thinking staying at college would have had a good side, though the bad would outweigh it.

Id reccomend you stay, unless of course the bad is outweighing the good, i.e. you fear mixing with guys or something serious not just you dont like lectures.

Confucius
04-19-2007, 11:02 PM
LOL....nah the guys are okay...large portion of my yr are muslims and its good cos u can just ignore the brothers and they dnt get offended...so nope there isnt mixing with the girls i stay with...

but seriously...i think its bad for my err...imaan because i be lazyyy allllll year and then i have to do like 2 weeks of intense revision b4 the exams...and then the lazy bit comes back in...and when i cum home i cant be botherd to do much...but alhamdulilah i never miss my prayers or nething thats the good thing...u can skip lectures and pray if u fear the time mite pass

but on the otherhand laziness is evil for this life and the hereafter...and i use uni as an excuse to be lazy... also the work is boring-ish...i think...

and despite us not mixing with the guys...theres still fitnah..there always is....

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
04-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Dont quite you'll regret it later, you need a challenge in life but if you do decide to leave make sure you have something planned to replace uni.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Confucius
04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
oh yeah...btw theres the debt thing..

il be in err...12k debt...and il be paying them back about 13k. i did the calculations....but nobody in my family seem to be too worried about this...they go i can pay it back when i start working...but wat if i die in my fourth yr..whos gonna pay back my debt for me??

my parents dnt want me to be a drop out because i think they'l feel ashamed of me...lol....stupid customs.

Umar001
04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
LOL....nah the guys are okay...large portion of my yr are muslims and its good cos u can just ignore the brothers and they dnt get offended...so nope there isnt mixing with the girls i stay with...

but seriously...i think its bad for my err...imaan because i be lazyyy allllll year and then i have to do like 2 weeks of intense revision b4 the exams...and then the lazy bit comes back in...and when i cum home i cant be botherd to do much...but alhamdulilah i never miss my prayers or nething thats the good thing...u can skip lectures and pray if u fear the time mite pass

but on the otherhand laziness is evil for this life and the hereafter...and i use uni as an excuse to be lazy... also the work is boring-ish...i think...

and despite us not mixing with the guys...theres still fitnah..there always is....

Do you think laziness will go when you dont have a routine? You get up to pray am guessing then you stay up or go sleep then wake up to go uni, imagine u didnt have to go uni ud jus end up in bed.

I think shaytan is just confusing you, logically having uni will keep you in more of a routine than if you dont have uni. The rest is hard work.

- Qatada -
04-19-2007, 11:09 PM
:salamext:

Before you do anything - remember to also do istikhaarah inshaa Allaah.

http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...-guidance.html

Confucius
04-19-2007, 11:09 PM
i get upto pray .... yes...but i go sleep and end up missing my lectures...i kinda just attend the err...afternoon ones...ish....somedays.

my attendace is v.bad...(my parents dont know!)

Confucius
04-19-2007, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Before you do anything - remember to also do istikhaarah inshaa Allaah.

http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...-guidance.html
oh yes...istikharaa...i keep meaning to do it..insha'allah i will...but FIRST i need to convince my paaarents to lemi drop out....

the thing is...a yr ago i wasnt practising so when i got my A-level results....and the uni accepted me..mum told me not to go uni....and me being an idiot insisted i wanted to go (i did this out of err...i was being rebelious)..

and NOW i cnt convince her to let me drop out...after what feels like embracing islam, uni and stuff like that seem so trivial to me..

and my dad...err....i avoid him. lol

- Qatada -
04-20-2007, 09:29 AM

How about doing the istikhaarah to decide whether you should really drop out or not?

lolwatever
04-20-2007, 09:42 AM
salamunalikum..

is it coz u hate the course ur doing? u must hav gotten a good mark to get in2 pharm in first place, so im sure u got the capacity to do well at uni if u like ur course insh :)

take care
all the best
:w:

Confucius
04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
jazakallah for your comments.

ive been getting negative feedback from everyone i talk to this about...meaning my family and friends...

the course is v.boring atm. i only like ONE class and that morley dispensery...its a bit interesting cos its about pharmacy...but now ive lost intrest in even that....cnt imagine my self doing this for another 4 years!!! *gulps*

i think il give it another year...plus my parents refuse point blank to let me drop the course....

*sigh*

insha'allah i will benefit people if and when i graduate.

Re.TiReD
04-20-2007, 02:43 PM
:sl: Why don't you change from pharmacy to somethng else? sure it might be a waste of all you've done so far but it might get you to where you wanna be...(Working to pay of the debt?)

Anyway all the best with whatever you plan to do....laziness is a curse, wallahi itz really difficult to overcome it but just try :D lol not good advice but best I can do :okay: :w:

IbnAbdulHakim
04-20-2007, 02:44 PM

istikharah :D

yigiter187
04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
salamunalikum..

ı think you should thank allah for your situatıon..do you know how many students study for years and years to be a university student ın TURKEY?LET ME SAY , ABOUT 1.500.000 PEOPLE..THEİR ONLY DREAM İS TO BE IN UNİVERSİTY...THEY SPENT HUGE SUMS OF MONEY...5 BİLLİON DOLARS IN A YEAR OVERALL...YOU SHOULD GO ON I THINK
Fİİ AMANİLLAH

Confucius
04-20-2007, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yigiter187
ı think you should thank allah for your situatıon..do you know how many students study for years and years to be a university student ın TURKEY?LET ME SAY , ABOUT 1.500.000 PEOPLE..THEİR ONLY DREAM İS TO BE IN UNİVERSİTY...THEY SPENT HUGE SUMS OF MONEY...5 BİLLİON DOLARS IN A YEAR OVERALL...YOU SHOULD GO ON I THINK
Fİİ AMANİLLAH
whoops, i probably sound ungrateful with all the 'hate' lol, but actually i dont hate it just...it doesnt intrest me...
i dont think its worth spending huge sums of money to get educated...and to get a good paying job isnt my ambition ... its an ambition others have for me...
the only reason im carrying on with it is to make my parents happy...but ive come up with more cons to uni life than pros..

i.e. arrogance, ambition, icreased love for worldly life, mixing, debt, less fear of death...and much more.
btw these are all personal cons...im not implying this applies to everyone.

M.I.A.
04-20-2007, 04:46 PM
i know exactly how you feel, guess the best way is to find a way to break it to your parents...very gently:exhausted
im doin pharmacy an i sort of started losing interest in it about the second year in..in the final year now an kinda wishing id done somethin about it earlier. anyway i probably wont graduate an my parents al have to find out less gently. which is the only thing that worries me at all.
so yeah if you have decided and your sure...make em aware of what you want, better now than later.

yigiter187
04-20-2007, 05:50 PM
whoops, i probably sound ungrateful with all the 'hate' lol, but actually i dont hate it just...it doesnt intrest me...
i dont think its worth spending huge sums of money to get educated...and to get a good paying job isnt my ambition ... its an ambition others have for me...
the only reason im carrying on with it is to make my parents happy...but ive come up with more cons to uni life than pros..

i.e. arrogance, ambition, icreased love for worldly life, mixing, debt, less fear of death...and much more.
btw these are all personal cons...im not implying this applies to everyone.
ı just said the situatıon ın turkey...ı meant that we should thank allah considering other people having harsh conditions..excuse me!:cry:

Confucius
04-20-2007, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
i know exactly how you feel, guess the best way is to find a way to break it to your parents...very gently:exhausted
im doin pharmacy an i sort of started losing interest in it about the second year in..in the final year now an kinda wishing id done somethin about it earlier. anyway i probably wont graduate an my parents al have to find out less gently. which is the only thing that worries me at all.
so yeah if you have decided and your sure...make em aware of what you want, better now than later.
aaah, so it doesnt get better in the second year??? uh-oh...i was hoping maybe things wud perk up then...

Ghira
04-20-2007, 09:41 PM
My advise is to talk to a counselor SOON!! It is only your FIRST year. It gives you motivated or deters you from your goal. This semester is almost done I am sure so just go to the career center and see what will motivate you to be less lazy and do the work required. In the end you need that piece of paper that says you completed the courses and have graduated. A lot of good jobs see if you completed your bachelors degree...it looks good on your resume. Talk to some of your friends and see what their goals are...That can motivate you as well or they might help you in the direction of a good major that you may enjoy. The last, last final thing you should do is quit and decrease your education. If you fear going out and doing something to jeapordize your deen start looking to get married and tell parents that you are interested in marriage...even while your in school. I know many people who do the nikkah and manange school I am sure you can do it as well. Finally, I ask you to get advise from the experienced folk like seniors/juniors in college because they have a lot of advise.

Pharmacy is a well respected field, good work hours, less stress than doctor, and make good money. I say you continue and motivate yourself by doing the above...Or just change the major by going to a career center in school (most have it). All high schools have it....Get info. about what you may want to pursue...Don't forget to make dua and istikhara before you chose...
Hope that helps and update us what you plan to do.

*charisma*
04-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Hun, the first few years are of course going to be a bore, but eventually you will start to take classes that are going towards your profession and you're going to like to be in school. If its to the point where khalas its just getting super on your nerves and you feel like you have ADD cause you can't concentrate lol, then try your best to finish this year and take a break next year from uni until you want to go back. If you are blessed with entering uni, take advantage of that as much as you can.

If you are planning to work later on, which I think you do, then realize that even people with bachelor's degrees are having trouble finding jobs, think of how hard its going to be when you don't have a degree or you get a job but its not a job that you can see yourself working at in 20 or more years.

You have to think about it in all different aspects, because once you drop out and yous ee everyone talking about uni, or even complaining or graduating, its going to feel really sucky that you dropped out lol.

Just giving you another insight inshallah. If you have high potentials, work toward exceeding or at least reaching them.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

gladTidings
04-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Assalamualaikum..

Hope your well inshAllah. I just wanted to say that I completely understand your situation...I'm a first year Pharmacy student too and was having serious thoughts about dropping out. I still do sometimes...I feel like were studying unnecessary subjects (physical chemistry:raging:) and sometimes I think why oh why am i studying this degree.

First year hasn't gone too well so far for me, because I wasn’t mentally prepared to start uni this year, and was definitely not prepared to move away from home and other pressures which have made it all too difficult. And I really know what you mean by the laziness lol. I think its just part of student life. When you’re away from home and are forced into responsibilities and are no longer spoon fed, you really learn a lot about yourself. I sure have, it’s all good though...because it helps you discipline yourself, and become a better person inshAllah.

Anyway think of it this way sis, the year is nearly over, just do as much as you can and then think about whether you want to drop out or not. Sometimes it’s just the pressure of exams that makes you want to give up and you try to justifying giving up with all sorts of reasons like this is not benefiting my deen etc. But inshAllah just make your intention of studying part of your deen, and inshAllah it will help you in this world and the hereafter.

If you honestly feel that this subject is not for you. Then I suggest you complete your exams (you paid good money for studying) try your best and have faith in Allaah, inshAllah you will pass (Make dua’a for me too please ;)).
Then do your istikhara and see what happens from there. (Btw i heard second year is most difficult, but it gets better from there..and seriously look into pharmacy as a career, because a lot of the stuff your learning now, you wont be using as part of your job. You might just find the job to be alot more enjoyable).

Some good advice given by other sisters and brothers. JazakAllahu Khair.

SirZubair
04-21-2007, 12:01 AM
As Homer Simpson said once...

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter?

Confucius
04-21-2007, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
Assalamualaikum..

I still do sometimes...I feel like were studying unnecessary subjects (physical chemistry:raging:) and sometimes I think why oh why am i studying this degree.

LOL....i rly hate doing physics....its so stupid somtimes....but when i actually do my work i find it interesting..but when i hear the lecturers talk i think 'why am i here?'
nwy lemi tell u how ive done this second semester....i havnt even printed out my physics lecture notes, the lectures i attend i dont take ne notes or make ne notes.....and ive missed more lectures than i have attended....and im on week 10 of semester 2...have 2 more weeks till i finish.

im doing a rush job now..trying to revise...but i just cnt concentrate...

and im not bothered to work after i marry....when i marry i want to be a house wife!! lol....call me mad but i wanna bring up my kids to be good muslims and i want to please my husband by being there for him when he wants rather than be preoccupied with my work...

oh well...i think il just see how it goes....maybe il fail my exams, that wud be good....and a shock for my family...hehe

jazakallah everyone for all ur comments...insha'allah il do whats best (err i think i better talk to my sheik aswell .... maybe he can advice me)

gladTidings
04-21-2007, 06:15 PM
:sl:

nuj

LOL....i rly hate doing physics....its so stupid somtimes....but when i actually do my work i find it interesting..but when i hear the lecturers talk i think 'why am i here?'
nwy lemi tell u how ive done this second semester....i havnt even printed out my physics lecture notes, the lectures i attend i dont take ne notes or make ne notes.....and ive missed more lectures than i have attended....and im on week 10 of semester 2...have 2 more weeks till i finish.

im doing a rush job now..trying to revise...but i just cnt concentrate...

and im not bothered to work after i marry....when i marry i want to be a house wife!! lol....call me mad but i wanna bring up my kids to be good muslims and i want to please my husband by being there for him when he wants rather than be preoccupied with my work...

oh well...i think il just see how it goes....maybe il fail my exams, that wud be good....and a shock for my family...hehe
Hope your well. Yeah i feel a little rushed too, and my concentration span is probably worse than yours. But i still think you should give it a go. Do as much as you can from now and then if you fail, atleast you know you sort of tried and maybe it wasnt meant to be.

And also sis, dont let marriage put you of your education, it is the easy way out because Alhamdullilah being a woman you dont have to provide for your family. But the education will benefit you and your children.. And if ever in the future you need to work, atleast you will have a respectable job. I dont want you to give up so easy sis:). Love you loads for the sake of Allaah. xx

anonymous
04-21-2007, 06:29 PM
salaams, jus wanted to give my 2 cents to the uni thread the sis opened in the education section- I think it would have been more appropraite in this section actually. Anyawsy since I cant post there heres what I have to say- Im doin a 4 year course and at the end of my first year i was 100% sure that this course wasnt right for me, I suppose tho it was the pressure of it all, theres so much 2 it and when its time for the crunch I jus get so stressed. Anyawsy regardless of these feelings I carried on, I enjoyed the academic aspect of the course but when it came to the practical goin oit and actually WORKIN in the profession as a trainee, I just hated it and couldnt stand the thought of it. Anyways at the end of my second year jus days before my placement I was totally unprepared and was draedin it. So I did what I wanted to do for the past year. Jus SPUR OF THE MOMENT- altho I had these feelins I wasnt intendin on actin upon them- anyways one day I went in2 uni wa soooooooooo stressed had 3 assgnmnts to hand in the same day one of which I still hadnt started and had work experience stuff to hand in too and I was so stressed I jus quit. And that was that. I was so relieved- I arranged to transfer to another course thought I was SORTED! I was free for two whole months to jus CHILL whilst every1 else was workin hard on placement. BUT I TELL YA... IT WAS A DECISION THAT I REGRETTED BIG TYM!!!! And luki 4 me I had the chance to go bak- nd now ALHAMDULILLAH Im cumin towards the end of my third year, successfully completed a placement got another 1 cumin up and inshaAllah got one more year to go. And altho I am STRESSED OUTTA MA BRAINS ryt now wat with asgnmnts to do and placement to prepare 4 quittin was ONE BIG REGRET OF MYN, I have gta make up 4 wat I missed out on now, so payin the price but HONESTLY I AM SOOOOOO GLAD I MADE THE DECISION TO COME BAK. So plaese ma darlin sis, learn a lesson from me. Dont give up. It will get better and dont do ANYTHIN without thinkin things thru gud and proper :)

Dats my 2 cents, wasalaams people PEACE

anonymous
04-21-2007, 06:31 PM
excuse ma spellin Im only a trainee teacher lol :p

anonymous
04-21-2007, 06:36 PM
jus noticed theres 2 threads reagradin droppin outta uni one from a trainee teacher like maself :O

Sis noahs arc teachin is a gud profession DONT QUIT!! Its a challenging yet rewardin profession- when i quit i explored other possible options and to be honest they all suked!! teachins hard but worth it! stuff the money aspect- so we underpaid, so wat! its not al about the dosh :p

Confucius
04-21-2007, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl

Hope your well. Yeah i feel a little rushed too, and my concentration span is probably worse than yours. But i still think you should give it a go. Do as much as you can from now and then if you fail, atleast you know you sort of tried and maybe it wasnt meant to be.

And also sis, dont let marriage put you of your education, it is the easy way out because Alhamdullilah being a woman you dont have to provide for your family. But the education will benefit you and your children.. And if ever in the future you need to work, atleast you will have a respectable job. I dont want you to give up so easy sis:). Love you loads for the sake of Allaah. xx
salamunalikum sister....
out of curiosity which uni do u attend...? and im guessing ur carrying on with ur course..?

- Qatada -
04-21-2007, 08:45 PM

Sister nuj, some brother/sister gave some advice on the cyber counselling section:

http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...ni-thread.html

So i think i'll move the thread there to make things easier inshaa Allaah.

gladTidings
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
salamunalikum sister....
out of curiosity which uni do u attend...? and im guessing ur carrying on with ur course..?
walaikum asalaam. I think it would be better to exchange email addresses via the moderators (if thats possible) rather than discuss here inshAllah. Look forward to speaking to you. :)

tears_of_hope
04-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Being a student myself, perhaps I can understand what you are going through, sister. All through the first year, I too was wondering why I was at college and why I was learning seemingly unimportant and unrelated stuff. But now I see things differently. I see how science and technology can improve the world we are living in.

I don't know much about pharmacy, but I believe it is a well respected and important field of study. I suggest you look up a few articles on the scope and importance of the field (if you haven't already), before you make any decision. Inshallah, you will be well equipped to help people when you graduate.

If you have got the course, it means that you are capable of completing it. And well, atleast in India, it is easy to drop out of the university, but very difficult to enroll again. So I feel that you should make your decision with a lot of care.

Assalamu alaikum.

Confucius
04-22-2007, 04:22 PM
jazakallah sis for the advice..

i like the profession, it intrests me..its just the course isnt all that...and the idea of another 5 yrs of this just rly repells me. lol

insha'allah il do whats best..and whats in my destiny!

Thanaa
04-22-2007, 04:26 PM
salamunalikum..

I flunked college...:-[
If you hate the environment of uni, for example, why not study with the Open University at home?
Thats what Im gonna do.
They do a lot of courses too. Molecular science, Business Studies, Maths and Statistics...:statisfie

Confucius
04-22-2007, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thanaa
I flunked college...:-[
If you hate the environment of uni, for example, why not study with the Open University at home?
Thats what Im gonna do.
They do a lot of courses too. Molecular science, Business Studies, Maths and Statistics...:statisfie
heeey...well THATS an idea....*thinks*

jazakallah sis

tears_of_hope
04-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Sis, if you are interested in the profession, I don't see any reason why you should drop out. The "training" that is the course you are attending is essential for the profession you are interested in. Look at it this way, all the people who are into the profession have undergone the 5 long years in the uni:)

I too am not too fond of what I study. But I try to find out why I need to learn it, that is what importance the topic or subject has in today's world and it often gets me interested in the topic. Maybe, you too can try that.

Take care sis. Inshallah, everything will work out.

Khalisah
05-19-2007, 09:33 AM
oh yeah...btw theres the debt thing..

il be in err...12k debt...and il be paying them back about 13k. i did the calculations....but nobody in my family seem to be too worried about this...they go i can pay it back when i start working...but wat if i die in my fourth yr..whos gonna pay back my debt for me??

my parents dnt want me to be a drop out because i think they'l feel ashamed of me...lol....stupid customs.
wow, thats a large number... but I thought if it was a student loan you had taken out, then if you die, you wouldnt have to pay it back, and also you don't pay them untill your earning over a certain amount £15,000?.. I'm not too sure though..
InshaAllah its just another few years not long sis... Since you've been little you have been attending some sort of educational institute right?.. so whats another two/three years?
lol, I'm sayin all this maybe I should tell myself that occasionaly too.. cos I totally understand how u feel.:-[

Prisca
05-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Why drop out when you've worked so hard to get there?

The only reason I'd drop out is if I was forced to study something I didn't like but other than that heck no.

jannat
05-19-2007, 08:39 PM

i hope ur well inshallah. i kinda understand what ur goin through. me and my friends are studying ICT and at times we really find it difficult and tedious. we also leave our revision to last week and reali stress abt it.:exhausted which is not best Practice!

My advice is make ishtikhara , ask allah for help inshallah and he will guide you, i personally feel that u shouldnt leave- keep striving!! it m8 be just a lack of motivation - we all go through it seriously , May Allah tala protect us from laziness inshallah.:D
Also if you dont like the course, i suggest u speak to a careers adviser at the uni and they may be able to help.

May allah help us all suceed in our chosen fields !

Best wishes :statisfie

ScoobyGurl
05-20-2007, 12:34 PM

You should make istikharaah. Allah (swt) will give you signs as to what is the right path for you. As far as marriage is concerned, you don't have to drop out of school to be married. I'm married and attending college (or uni as you say :) ). It's not hard if you don't have children and have an understanding husband.

If pharmacy is really what you want to do then you should consider sticking it out. However, I think you should search deep down and really ask yourself if you want to pharmacy and then ask yourself why you want to do pharmacy. I don't know if they have it where you are but perhaps you should take the Briggs Myers test or some other type of major/career test. You answer a bunch of questions like "would you like to work alone or with a team." From the answer you give to these types of questions, the test gives you an idea of what career and major would best suit your interests. May Allah (swt) guide you to the right decision. Ameen.

SG

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 07:03 AM
salamunalikum..

TBH i think you are crazy. University was a special time for me in that i expanded my mind tremendously and learnt allot of new tricks :).

The problem is that most people do their A-levels etc and go straight into uni. It's all very exciting but it's not for everyone. Sometimes taking a year off to relax & focus does a world of good. Infact i seem to remember someone saying to me the people who do this normally achieve a better grade at the end.

TBH i think this is the way to go for you. Talk to your parents and your tutor. There is no point you drifting through the course not giving it your full potential. Always stay positive. Uni can be a stessful place.

My Allah :arabic4: make it easy for you. :thumbs_up

Salma13
05-28-2007, 06:31 PM
i agree with the one above, and i also want to say make sure you do something you enjoy, if you dont enjoy pharmacy do something else!

Asalmaleikum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.