/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Three killed at Turkish Bible publishers

yigiter187
04-20-2007, 01:21 PM
By Seyhmus Cakan

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey, April 18 (Reuters) - Attackers slit the throats of three people, including a German, at a Turkish Bible publisher's on Wednesday, officials said, the latest attack on minorities in mainly Muslim Turkey.

The victims were found with their hands and feet bound, said Halil Ibrahim Dasoz, governor of the southeastern province of Malatya where the attack occurred.

Four people were detained in connection with the attack and one person, who fell from the building and was considered a suspect, was taken to hospital with head trauma, he said.

German Ambassador Eckart ****z said a German was among the dead.

The killings come as political tensions rise between the powerful secular elite, including army generals and judges, and the religious-minded AK Party government over next month's presidential elections.

Television pictures showed police wrestling one man to the ground and leading several men -- apparently in their teens -- out of the building.

A wave of nationalism has swept the secular but predominantly Sunni Muslim country over the past year.

This year Armenian-Turkish editor Hrant Dink was shot dead by an ultranationalist youth. Dink was also from Malatya.

A historic visit to Turkey by Pope Benedict last year was prefaced by protests in Istanbul and followed a rise in violence against Christian clergy.

THREATS

For many Turkish nationalists, Christian missionaries are seen as enemies of Turkey working to undermine its political and religious institutions.

The government and other officials in Turkey have criticised Christian missionary work while the European Union, which Turkey hopes to join, has called for more freedom for the tiny Christian minority.

"We would like a government campaign to get rid of the myths, such as that missionaries are trying to divide the country, these are the things which feed such acts," said Carlos Madrigal, an evangelical pastor who knew the victims and said they were also evangelical protestants.

"In some ways the situation has improved because we have got legal rights ... but there are parts of society which have become radicalised," Madrigal, whose Istanbul church has police protection since the Dink murder, told Reuters.

An official from the publishing house told local television that they had received threats over its publications.

"It's too early to say but the attack appears to be the work of Islamists," said Gareth Jenkins, an Istanbul-based expert on Turkish security matters.

"There are generally a lot of threats against Christians in Turkey, primarily against Turkish converts."

He said one of the last serious attack against Turkish Christians was in 1997 when the then-active Islamist Vasat movement bombed a bible book stand in the southeast, killing one child and injuring dozens.

Early last year an Italian priest was shot dead -- also by a youth -- in the Black Sea port of Trabzon which coincided with worldwide protests over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad. (Additional reporting by Daren Butler, Mustafa Yukselbaba, Paul de Bendern, Emma Ross-Thomas)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
04-21-2007, 01:18 PM
When posting articles in World Affairs, please provide the source, preferably in a link.

Pk_#2
04-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Peace! :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041801259.html

Dunno if its a valid source dou!

yigiter187
04-21-2007, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
When posting articles in World Affairs, please provide the source, preferably in a link.
ı took this from reuters...and this happened my neıghbour city malatya...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amadeus85
04-21-2007, 08:15 PM
First of all, when i see threads like this one , i clearly see the pluralism on this forum :) Keep on guys !

And to this post.. What can i say, these kind of things give islam a bad name.Those murderers should be caught as soon as possible, otherwise those who are against Turkish accesion to EU will have another arguement to stay against.

Grace Seeker
04-24-2007, 01:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
First of all, when i see threads like this one , i clearly see the pluralism on this forum :) Keep on guys !

And to this post.. What can i say, these kind of things give islam a bad name.Those murderers should be caught as soon as possible, otherwise those who are against Turkish accesion to EU will have another arguement to stay against.

It wouldn't surpise me if that latter point was the whole motive to begin with.

Khan-Ghalgha
04-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Why should some mentally sick people give a name to anything? Did the south corean shooter give a bad name to all coreans or christians or whatever his religion was/wasn't?

Philosopher
04-24-2007, 02:30 AM
The killers of the Bible publishers should be executed accordingly.

yigiter187
04-24-2007, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85

they were arrested immediately....the killers do not represent islam....they represent only devil...because it is strictly forbidden ın ıslam to kill anything alive...even a plant or an ant ...

abdil han
04-26-2007, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
The killers of the Bible publishers should be executed accordingly.

maybe we should..but even Ocalan(terrorist leader) was nt executed,its not allowed in Turkiye,,,

but we need to check it out more n more.and the government must control those publishers too,we need to think why they have been killed,,,

no need to rush...

wassalam

Grace Seeker
04-26-2007, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdil han
maybe we should..but even Ocalan(terrorist leader) was nt executed,its not allowed in Turkiye,,,

but we need to check it out more n more.and the government must control those publishers too,we need to think why they have been killed,,,

no need to rush...

wassalam
What do you mean, "we need to think why they have been killed"? Are you thinking that there might be justification for their murders?

I thought this statement summed it up pretty well: "For many Turkish nationalists, Christian missionaries are seen as enemies of Turkey working to undermine its political and religious institutions." Yet, even still, is that justification to murder someone? Certainly there are people in my country (the USA) who are working to undermine its political and religious institutions. In my opinion, that would not even be reason enough to have them arrested, let alone to justify their murder.

Now if they went beyond working to undermine, to actually plotting violence or terrorist action, that would be another story, but I haven't heard that this is what those that were killed were involved in. And then, it would be the responsibility of the Turkish government to arrest, try, and punish them, not some self-appointed viligante-style thugs.

abdil han
05-14-2007, 05:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
What do you mean, "we need to think why they have been killed"? Are you thinking that there might be justification for their murders?
u got me wrong as i see it,
i meant;there may be some others reasons to murder them,there are thousands of missioners here in turkiye but why they ve been killed??

we saw many missioners who supports PKK terrorist by giving money.and also there may be somethng more..

peace on you grace seeker

Grace Seeker
05-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Thank-you. And thank-you for the clarification. I find it always good to ask rather than assuming. Glad you were able to help me understand what you meant better.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.