/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Combining Salaah

Ummah
08-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Asalaamualaikum

Apologies if this is a duplicate topic, didnt have time to search.

Quick question

I understand that you can combine Zuhr with Asr, and Maghrib with Isha. However at what time should i combine them?

Should i combine Asr at Zuhr time? or Zuhr at Asr time? Do you get what i mean??

Also, when is it acceptable to do such a thing?

Last but not least, please provide saheeh hadith on the matter, JazakhAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
08-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Wa alaikom assalam wa rahmatu allahi wa barakatuh,

Bismillah wal alhamdulilah...

1) Allah has given a traveler the permission to shorten his/her prayer while travelling.

“And when you (Muslims) travel in the land, there is no sin on you if you shorten As‑Salaah (the prayer) if you fear that the disbelievers may put you in trial (attack you), verily, the disbelievers are ever unto you open enemies”

[al-Nisa 4:101]

There are several things I would like for you to keep in mind while you are on the journey Inshaa Allah. First, all the prayers must be fulfilled. The obligation of prayer doesnt drop on a traveler in any circumstance. Secondly, you have gotten permission to shorten your prayer from 4 rak'ah to 2 rak'ah (Dhur, Asr, 'isha), Maghrib remains 3 rak'ah, and Fajr two. As soon as you leave your house intending for travel you fall under the category of a person who is on a journey. So, you begin by shortening your prayers from 4 to 2. Moreover, to shorten prays is even recommended act while travelling.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has waived half the prayer for the traveller.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 2275; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i.

You have to calculate your praying schedule and find out how many prayers you will be able to catch on time during the travel. If you feel that you will be missing any of the obligatory prayer, you can combine the prayers (Dhur/asr - Maghrib/Ishaa). You can either do a jami3 taqdeem (combining the two in Dhur) or Jami3 takhir (combining them at Asr). This goes for the latter prayers of maghrib/Ishaa too. With shortening the prayer as a recommended act and combining the prayer is a solution to catch the prayers on time, the traveler should pray all of his/her prayer on time.

One should try to pray the prayers before he/she gets on the aircraft or train. Remember, we said combining the prayer if one is not sure that he/she will make it on time. For example, if one knows he is going to travel for 8 hours and he will miss Asr and Maghrib and it is Dhur time before he travels then he should shorten his prayers and combine Dhur/Asr together. When He arrives at the city it will be Ishaa then he combines Maghrib (the one he missed) and Ishaa together as a jami3 takhir.

If for any reason one is in travel and he/she needs to fulfill an obligatory duty but doesnt know where the qiblah is, then he/must must do their absolute best to figure out the qiblah before entering prayer. This is done by asking, calculating through directions, and other viable ways. Then a person faces the qiblah and prays. The obligation of qiblah as a rukun in salat is not waived except for a person who is praying nafil prayer then he/she can pray where ever the road is facing.

2) There is a difference between the scholars with regards to this issue. Each of the madhab have giving a certain time period for a traveler to shorten his prayer. In Madhabah Ahmad, they say that a travel is one staying for 4 days and a prayer (21 prayers), anything after the four days, he/should pray the fulfill prayers without shortening (see 'umdat al Fiqh by Ibn Qudamah). Other madhabs such as the Hanafi's have said 15 days (see Islamqa.com). However, Shaikh bin 'uthaymeen, rahimahu allah, is of the opinion that a traveler can shorten his prayers as long as he retains the intention of being a traveler no matter how long that is. For example, students going to study abroad are not travelers so they should complete their full prayers because they are considered residents of the country. However, a person going travelling on a journey that might last a day, week, or a month is considered a journeyman/traveler and thus he shortens his prayer. If a traveler is unaware of when his return will be, he should continue shortening his prayers until he finds out that he will either reside, continue on his journey, or return home ('umdat al fiqh by Ibn Qudamah).

However, if the person prayers behind an a resident Imam then he should complete the prayer with the imam and not walk away with the two traveler prayer. If a traveler fulfills all 4 rak'ah of his prayers than that is permissible but it is better for any traveler to shorten his prayers throughout his travels as Allah likes the ones who take what He has permitted and made easy. To combine prayers is a way to ensure that one doesnt miss any of the obligatory prayers to the extremities of travel and its delays.

Allah Knows Best.

I got this off another forum.

source: http://www.uponsunnah.com/forum/show...hlight=combine.

I hope it answers your question.

:w:

Ummu Amatullah
08-02-2005, 11:11 PM
:sl:
:brother: mashallah nice answer. :applaud:.Can't the female combine her prayers when she has her.. more then 9 days approximately a month?Though Prophet Muhammad told Faduma to cleanse her self after each prayer or two prayers.She also combined some prayers.Is there another reason that you could combine prayers besides the two already mentioned?
:w:

- Qatada -
08-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Asalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuhu.

I hold the opinion that this last saying is the best. It is permissible to combine prayers in case of need, but this should not be taken as a habit. This is also the opinion of Ibn Taymiyah, who said:

Ibn `Abbâs was not traveling nor was there any rain, but he mentioned this narration as justification for combining his prayers. He knew that there was no rain, but Ibn `Abbâs was involved in something important for the Muslims as he was teaching the people what they needed to know about their religion and he believed that if he stopped at that time and came down from the pulpit, the opportunity would be lost. He deemed that the activity he was engaged in permitted him to combine prayers as the Prophet (peace be upon him) combined prayers in Madinah without there being fear or rain but for some other necessity… All the hadîth indicate that he combined prayers to make things easy for his people. Therefore, combining prayers is permissible if otherwise there would be some hardship that Allah had lifted from His nation. Combining prayers due to debilitating illness is all the more permissible. The same applies to the one who cannot maintain his purity for two prayers, like the woman whose bleeding continues past her menstrual cycle and the like. At the same time, we have a saying from `Umar b. al-Khattâb that combining of two prayers without an excuse is one the grievous sins." [Ibn Taymiyah, Majmû` al-Fatâwâ]

The saying of Ibn Taymiyyah on this issue is correct in my opinion. It is permissible to combine between prayers for a valid reason, but this should not be taken as a habit. Whoever combines prayers without a valid reason and continues to do on the basis of Ibn `Abbâs' hadîth has violated the Sunnah of our Prophet (peace be upon him) and gone against his guidance.

source: http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cf...sub_cat_id=530

So yeh sis. insh Allah it is permissible.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummnoura
08-04-2005, 06:05 AM
What if i work in a place where i am not allowed to stop and pray or take lunch etc. Is it permissible to pray zhur/asr at 2 pm before work and maghrin/isha after work at midnight?

Ummu Amatullah
08-06-2005, 04:50 AM
sis if they won't let you pray then don't think you could work there.Where do you work?Don't have to say it out here with learky brothers say all you have to say in the sis's sect.Salams

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.