/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How should a Muslim deal with racism?

milestones
04-21-2007, 02:06 PM
My dear brothers and sisters

As salaam alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakaatuh

I am new to this forum and found it by searching for the book of manners by Abu Eesa Niamatullah whose talk I saw on Islam channel.

Alhumdulillah I have been practising Islam for a while now and as I am writing this I realise that I actually know the answer to my question. I think the reason why I had forgotten is because of the fluctuating of my Iman. I have faced racism all my life, when I was a child I would retaliate in an argumentative way, but when I began to read the Qu'ran with translation and saw how much support that Allah SWT has given to Muhammad (SAW) through the Qur'an the insults boiled down to nothing and I could smile and walk on.

When my Iman goes down Shaytaan's attacks are more effective and I felt my pride was hurt when I was insulted, this and I felt angry that when we are outside we should have to put up with this. These situations are so important in building the islamic character Shaytaan works so fast that before I could stop myself I replied to them and immediately remembered how the Prophet SAW walked away form Abu Bakr RA when he retaliate. I imagined how the angels must have turned away, this left me feeling worse than how I felt after being called a paki. Most of all I realised what a strong and beautiful character our prophet Muhammad (SAW) had :cry: .

The reality is that when someone insults you it is degrading and very hurtful, whether you know the person or not. The prophet SAW faced this everyday, a few which include the woman who would throw (is it her toilet?) at the prophet SAW when he walked passed her house. I can imagine myself becoming hot with anger and planning revenge, because it is a nuisance and somethinig we shouldn't have to put up with. But Subhanallah, the Prophet SAW would say nothing and the day that she did not throw anything he went to ask how she was. As a result she became Muslim. I can imagine how she was feeling, being so abusive to someone and then realising how wrong she was and the humility of no retaliation from him but just pure humane love :-[ .
Another story is of the old lady that the Prophet SAW helped with her luggage and she insulted him throughout the whole journey, but he stayed quiet and listened, he didn't even say I am the Messenger of Allah, so that maybe she would stop insulting him so that he would not have to listen to it, or say you can't speak to me like that. At the end of the journey when she found out who he was she became a Muslim.

Subhanallah, I can see that the Prophet SAW did not retaliate because he had the firm assurance from Allah, in his heart that he was truthful and on the path of good and he was a wise man who did not bring himself down to their level. May Allah guide us all to be as wise and patient as Muhammad ([S][SAW) Ameen.

I heard somewhere that wherever the sahaabah went they would keave a mark of Islam. I have been working for a while at at place now and will be leaving in a few weeks. I have not given any dawah to anyone and feel ashamed, please can you give advice on how I could leave a mark of Islam with these people and also any advice, maybe from experience or theory on how to deal with racism an if you think there is a different way a muslimah dealing with racist men or muslim dealing with racist women should handle the situation.

Jazakallahkhair

wasalaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FBI
04-21-2007, 03:19 PM
I've also experienced racism, I ignore it the first time and tell them to stop but if they repeat it and try and taunt me with such comments I'll get physical with them.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-21-2007, 03:44 PM
:w:

Welcome to LI sis.
And why should u feel insulted being called a Paki? Are you Paki? If they call you that trying to make fun of you, then they dont even know what it means. Pak itself means pure. So take it like a compliment.

Just ignore them sis. They're embarassing themselves when they make fun of others, not you. InshaAllah, everything will be alright :)

:sl:

'Abd al-Baari
04-21-2007, 09:41 PM

Welcome to the forums...Inshallah you'll have a good and beneficial stay
about the racism the best advice i can give you is ignore them and do Dua...:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummAbdillah
04-21-2007, 09:51 PM
salaam
great intro :) and weclome
wa salaam

~*~Serene~*~
04-24-2007, 03:19 AM
salam welcome to the forum

Rufaidah
04-27-2007, 11:27 PM
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته
Welcome 2 the Forum sis .. :)

سبحانك اللهم وبحمدك اشهد ان لا اله الا انت استغفرك واتوب اليك

snakelegs
04-27-2007, 11:31 PM
[MOUSE]welcome![/MOUSE]

YusufNoor
04-27-2007, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by milestones
My dear brothers and sisters

As salaam alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakaatuh

I am new to this forum and found it by searching for the book of manners by Abu Eesa Niamatullah whose talk I saw on Islam channel.

Alhumdulillah I have been practising Islam for a while now and as I am writing this I realise that I actually know the answer to my question. I think the reason why I had forgotten is because of the fluctuating of my Iman. I have faced racism all my life, when I was a child I would retaliate in an argumentative way, but when I began to read the Qu'ran with translation and saw how much support that Allah SWT has given to Muhammad (SAW) through the Qur'an the insults boiled down to nothing and I could smile and walk on.

When my Iman goes down Shaytaan's attacks are more effective and I felt my pride was hurt when I was insulted, this and I felt angry that when we are outside we should have to put up with this. These situations are so important in building the islamic character Shaytaan works so fast that before I could stop myself I replied to them and immediately remembered how the Prophet SAW walked away form Abu Bakr RA when he retaliate. I imagined how the angels must have turned away, this left me feeling worse than how I felt after being called a paki. Most of all I realised what a strong and beautiful character our prophet Muhammad (SAW) had :cry: .

The reality is that when someone insults you it is degrading and very hurtful, whether you know the person or not. The prophet SAW faced this everyday, a few which include the woman who would throw (is it her toilet?) at the prophet SAW when he walked passed her house. I can imagine myself becoming hot with anger and planning revenge, because it is a nuisance and somethinig we shouldn't have to put up with. But Subhanallah, the Prophet SAW would say nothing and the day that she did not throw anything he went to ask how she was. As a result she became Muslim. I can imagine how she was feeling, being so abusive to someone and then realising how wrong she was and the humility of no retaliation from him but just pure humane love :-[ .
Another story is of the old lady that the Prophet SAW helped with her luggage and she insulted him throughout the whole journey, but he stayed quiet and listened, he didn't even say I am the Messenger of Allah, so that maybe she would stop insulting him so that he would not have to listen to it, or say you can't speak to me like that. At the end of the journey when she found out who he was she became a Muslim.

Subhanallah, I can see that the Prophet SAW did not retaliate because he had the firm assurance from Allah, in his heart that he was truthful and on the path of good and he was a wise man who did not bring himself down to their level. May Allah guide us all to be as wise and patient as Muhammad ([S][SAW) Ameen.

I heard somewhere that wherever the sahaabah went they would keave a mark of Islam. I have been working for a while at at place now and will be leaving in a few weeks. I have not given any dawah to anyone and feel ashamed, please can you give advice on how I could leave a mark of Islam with these people and also any advice, maybe from experience or theory on how to deal with racism an if you think there is a different way a muslimah dealing with racist men or muslim dealing with racist women should handle the situation.

Jazakallahkhair

wasalaam
A`udhu Billahi mina Shaytanir Rajeem,

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu,

You know sister, one of the reasons that we have all of those stories about the Rasulullah is so that we can earn how to deal with situations we face. Mufti Ismail Menk comments that when you are attacked because of your Islam that it means that you have found acceptance by Allah(SWT)! He(SWT), in fact HAS noticed YOU! NOW, He(SWT) is giving just a taste of some of the insults that the Messnger of Allah(SAWS) had to put up with. by remembering Sabr(patience), which is an act of Ibadah in itself, you are passing tests given to you by Allah(SWT) that help raise your "rank" in Islam!
the more tests that you pass, the higher your rank and it also means that Allah(SWT) LOVES you PERSONALLY!

and Insha'Allah, you will one day be able to relate these stories to the Messenger of Allah(SWT) and thank him for setting the examples that you used in remembering how to deal with these situations!

so think of them more as golden opportunities than bad situations!

snakelegs
04-28-2007, 12:33 AM
if the racists are non-muslim, you could just smile smugly and say "that's what i love about islam - we don't go in for that crap". :statisfie

AHMED_GUREY
04-28-2007, 01:25 AM

Welcome to the forum sister:D , keep your head up, people that degrade another person's background by projecting ad hominems only use that method as a way to cover up their own obvious inferiority complex with an artificial superiority complex. In most cases these individuals don't realise it themselves but deep down something great about you intimidates them, it could be your great people(?) your great culture(?) and last but not least your great religion(?) (or simply your achievements in your personal life)

Those who insulted you do not deserve your attention as they do not represent whatever background they claim there representing, that is why it would be wise if you focused on the majority of sane individuals you encounter daily in your life who do respect you and your background

enjoy your stay on the forum sister!

:w: :)

Uthman
04-28-2007, 11:54 AM

I think my signature will have to speak more than me on this one. :)

Al_Imaan
04-28-2007, 07:09 PM
:welcome: to the forum.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.