PDA

View Full Version : I have been summoned



جوري
04-22-2007, 02:25 AM
For jury duty, I have no more allowances for postponement.. can someone walk me through the process... I have a ballot here, with a date in which to appear, and a fine to pay if I fail to comply... What questions do they ask? and how can I make myself as useless to them as possible? other than admitting to far right views, like capital punishment which though I digress, am in fact in very strong favor of.. Pls anyone who has done this before... walk me through it.
thanks
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
04-22-2007, 02:34 AM
I've been summoned for jury duty before. It does have a financial impact, but I see it as an important civic duty. That is how the justice system functions.
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 02:41 AM
What do you mean by financial impact-- is it other than missing days of work? --I don't believe it to be an effective way to run a system personally.. I won't get into the dynamics of that right now-- but I think that is why we have judges and lawyers, who have dedicated themselves to studying the law--what do lay men know about the law? Anyhow, what will happen if I don't go on assigned date? Also if I go this time and serve do I have to do this again? I can't think of a worst way to inconvenience a private citizen!
Reply

Woodrow
04-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Actually I'm surprised to hear that you would want to get out of it. It is almost as much fun as reading through WA threads.

I only got selected for Jury Duty twice in my life. I could not come up with anything wild enough to get kicked off the jury.

You have to remember that both the Defense and the prosecution will question. They each get to select 6 primary Jurors and 6 back up ones each. The less people that show up the greater your chances become to be selected. Remember if you say something that one of them see's a reason not to choose you, the other will see as a strong reason to select you. The best bet is to just be as close to average as possible and at least the odds be greater that you will be one who is passed over. anything that you do or say to make you "different" will draw the attention of the attorneys and increase your chance of being selected.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
جوري
04-22-2007, 02:52 AM
lol akhi you are funny.. how long does this last? I mean is it more than a week?-- basically I have to pick answers that make myself less desirable to both defense and prosecution... like a wishy washy opinion?...
sure I am in support of capital punishment and then say something really racist... like capital punishment toward people only from the canary islands? that would work right?
I have as much interest in the law as I do in economics and finance -- There isn't a number negative enough to describe my disdain... least of which to a trial by jury.
.. thanks for replies.. will let you know how it goes.
Reply

Woodrow
04-22-2007, 03:21 AM
Keltoi said it best, it is our duty . the purpose of us peons being the jury is to keep convictions out of the hands of politicians, judges and lawyers. we are the only ones that can help keep the rights of a defendant from being overrun. It is true too many people do not take take it seriously and sometimes a judgment is bought through the lawyers.

the jury selection is the most boring part of the ordeal jury selection can take anywhere from a few days in a country town to over a month in a large city. It is usually by alphabetical order. If you are interviewed on the first day chances are you will not have to return until the last day of the selection portion.

Once the trial begins be prepared from the first day that the Attorneys might call for the jury to be sequestered, which means locked up in a hotel room each night and no contact with anybody until the trial is over. that does not happen often but it is always a possibility.

Most jury trials last about a week, but that does not always mean the jury has to be there every day. as a rule the jury is in the court room for about 4 hours per day.
Reply

Woodrow
04-22-2007, 03:25 AM
If it looks like it will be a long trial, the judge will ask right from the start if anybody has any reasons to be excluded such as School age children, illness, aged themselve or caring for an aged parent. Things that will not be considered reason for being excused are:

Lack of transportation
Financial burdan
loss of income
Conflict with school
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 03:30 AM
During my IM rotation, I met with an "oriental" doc so to speak, who had to fork over $900,000 for a woman who sued him, simply because the jurors wouldn't have wanted a woman like that go home empty handed. if I gave you the details of the case you'd have thought it absurd, as she had no case and was a heroin addict.. not to mention her actual Doctor had died and he simply inherited her two days before she delivered her twins... I didn't think that sort of system was fair, and I thought anyone familiar with the law and has justice in his heart would see that a great injustice has been dealt this man, simply because he wouldn't fit so well with a down town jury due to both his profession and his "oriental status"Than say a trial by a judge, who with any hope can put his ethics above his feelings.. they were in fact jury of her peers not his... but I don't want to turn this into a moral dilemma.. and I use that example as it is more innocuous than others which I have seen on "court TV" which are actually worst... Anyhow, if that is how the system works, then that is how the system works... I'll give it my best shot!

thanks all
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
If it looks like it will be a long trial, the judge will ask right from the start if anybody has any reasons to be excluded such as School age children, illness, aged themselve or caring for an aged parent. Things that will not be considered reason for being excused are:

Lack of transportation
Financial burdan
loss of income
Conflict with school
I wonder if people have ever been fired because of jury duty... it really is an inconvenience now that I have reread how long it might take... sigh :'(
Reply

*Hana*
04-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Salam Alaikum Sister:

I was called to Jury Duty twice. The first time as a Non-Muslim and I was actually the Jury Forewoman :D lol It was very interesting and I didn't mind it at all. Then, shortly after I reverted I was again called for Jury Duty. I had quite a few people tell me I could not be on the Jury. I honestly can't remember why though. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the Islamic ruling of this could help. However, it didn't matter anyway, as I was unable to serve due to the fact there was a good chance we would be sequestered and I have a son to care for.

But, sis, I recommend doing it. It's an amazing experience. :) Really, there are so many people called for duty that the chance of you actually having to sit is slim. In my case it was a very basic trial where some guy tried to rob a McDonald's with a plastic knife :rollseyes . (He was as sharp as the knife. lol) So, only a few of us were called and they basically accepted the first 12 names that were called. lol However, there was another trial that same month that was going to last for weeks and there were hundreds of us called. My name didn't get chosen for that one though.

Ok, babbling now, but I did enjoy my experience very much :D

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 03:43 AM
lol sis.. you have made me ROFL --- I didn't think the process would take more than a week.. since I have postponed before, and this particular date isn't bad... but if there is sequestration and, it takes place further down the line than the assigned date in may.. then it won't do at all.. I'd be so grateful, if they would just not pick me.. Anyhow one last Q I have.. do I have to call anyone to let them know I'll be showing up? or do I just stroll there on assigned date?
Reply

Woodrow
04-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
During my IM rotation, I met with an "oriental" doc so to speak, who had to fork over $900,000 for a woman who sued him, simply because the jurors wouldn't have wanted a woman like that go home empty handed. if I gave you the details of the case you'd have thought it absurd, as she had no case and was a heroin addict.. not to mention her actual Doctor had died and he simply inherited her two days before she delivered her twins... I didn't think that sort of system was fair, and I thought anyone familiar with the law and has justice in his heart would see that a great injustice has been dealt this man, simply because he wouldn't fit so well with a down town jury due to both his profession and his "oriental status"Than say a trial by a judge, who with any hope can put his ethics above his feelings.. they were in fact jury of her peers not his... but I don't want to turn this into a moral dilemma.. and I use that example as it is more innocuous than others which I have seen on "court TV" which are actually worst... Anyhow, if that is how the system works, then that is how the system works... I'll give it my best shot!

thanks all
Civil suits are the nastiest and dirtiest. They operate under a different set of rules and all that needs to be shown is a preponderance of eveidence and not proof. Juries are not even required for civil suits but either attorney has the right to request it, and when a civil suit is before a jury you can be certain it is because an attorney wants to manipulate the jury.

Criminal cases are a bit more in the hands of the jury. But, sadly people are gullible and can be used by a good attorney (Now that is an oxymoron) but overall they have proven to be the fairest system available in most countries.
Reply

*Hana*
04-22-2007, 03:47 AM
Salam sis:

Hmmm, in Canada you just show up and "sign in" using the number they assigned you in the notice. They had people there with the names of all the people called for jury duty. When we showed up, we went over and registered with them. If we don't show, there could be a warrant issued for our arrest. Not sure how far they would carry that....but I prefered to be on the jury rather than needing the jury, so I just showed up. :D lol

Wasalam,
Hana
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 03:52 AM
lol.... Yes I know what you mean... I don't want to be arrested or pay a fine either... I won't assume the worst.. but you can never tell here in NY.. can be a trial for john gotti junior.. or some Columbian drug lord who ended up with a tongue tie :phew .... G-D have mercy..:-[
Reply

Woodrow
04-22-2007, 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
lol sis.. you have made me ROFL --- I didn't think the process would take more than a week.. since I have postponed before, and this particular date isn't bad... but if there is sequestration and, it takes place further down the line than the assigned date in may.. then it won't do at all.. I'd be so grateful, if they would just not pick me.. Anyhow one last Q I have.. do I have to call anyone to let them know I'll be showing up? or do I just stroll there on assigned date?
Here in Texas there is a phone number on the summons you are to call the day before. Actually it can help. If you get a sympathetic court clerk you may be able to say enough to be excused with no need to show. Also you want to call, because often a trial can be canceled or postponed and then you would be making a wasted trip.
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Shokran akhi... I really appreciate what you have all written.. doesn't seem as bad as my mind made it out to be....
Reply

Woodrow
04-22-2007, 04:03 AM
I was going to suggest that you show up wearing a colander and rabbit ear antenna on your head and keep mumbling "Not so loud, they might hear you"

But I notice you are in NY so that would just be considered normal.
Reply

Tania
04-22-2007, 09:52 AM
We don't have here the jury system but the employers what are they saying when their worker just vanish for x days for a trial. He is forced to pay you for this days :?
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
I was going to suggest that you show up wearing a colander and rabbit ear antenna on your head and keep mumbling "Not so loud, they might hear you"

But I notice you are in NY so that would just be considered normal.
ROFL.. that is brilliant. I can see me doing that too... and You are absolutely right... as I was strolling through central park yesterday, I saw something grossly similar to what you have just described.....
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tania
We don't have here the jury system but the employers what are they saying when their worker just vanish for x days for a trial. He is forced to pay you for this days :?
I have no idea... where are you located though?
Reply

Woodrow
04-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I should have answered about jobs. The law is that an employer can not fire a person because they are on jury duty. I know it is done tho at times, but a person can file a grievance and if found wrongfully fired it can be a very expensive loss for the employer.
Reply

FBI
04-22-2007, 02:38 PM
I could not come up with anything wild enough to get kicked off the jury.
You should've told them your prejudiced to all races.
Reply

جوري
04-22-2007, 04:04 PM
lol... Yeah really... the old--(I hate all people indiscriminately) ...
Reply

Woodrow
04-22-2007, 06:42 PM
HOW TO GET OUT OF JURY DUTY
Ways To (Honestly) Avoid Juror Service

Scroll down to see information on the following topics:
Instant Excuses - People Who Get Eliminated Just For Asking
Temporary Excuses - How To Easily Postpone Service
Hardship Excuses - Get Excused Through The Mail
The BEST Way To Get Excused Honestly
Getting Excused During Jury Selection
Your Last Chance For An Excuse
Outrageous Statements To "Throw" The Process

If you have received a jury summons and feel you can not serve, you have options. While court rules vary around the country, these principals generally apply everywhere.
Note: This site is for general information purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be accepted as such. Any court summons should be responded to in a prompt and honest manner.

INSTANT EXCUSE
If you have a compelling reason why you can't serve, you can ask for an excuse by writing the court. Excuses are generally given for the following reasons:
You are over 70 years old.
You are a volunteer firefighter, rescue squad member or ambulance crew member.
You must care for young children or elderly adults, if your absence will put them at risk.
You are so important to the operation of a business that your absence will cause that business to fail.
You are an attorney, physician, dentist or registered nurse.
You do not have a car and are unable to use public transportation.
Excuses are usually not given through the mail for general work or family care responsibilities. These problems will be considered during the jury selection process (after you actually report to the courthouse on the first day.)


POSTPONEMENTS - DEFERMENTS - "TEMPORARY EXCUSE"
Instead of being excused, you can request (by writing the court) that your jury service be postponed. Deferments are common. You shouldn't feel bad about asking for one if jury duty conflicts with your work load, personal obligations or travel schedule. My work travel schedule required me to ask for two deferments. Of course the court didn't forget about me. After each temporary excuse was granted, I was summoned again three months later.

With your summons will be a questionnaire. It must be filled out truthfully and returned right away. These questions will weigh into whether you have to serve as a juror. Questions may include:

Are you a U.S. citizen?
What is your age and birth date?
Have you live in this county for the past year?
Do you speak English?
Are you charged with or been convicted of a felony?
Do you have an disability that would interfere with your service as a juror?
Do you hold elected public office?
Are you a police officer or firefighter?
Are you a member of the armed forces?
What is your gender, education level and occupation?

TIP--The questionnaire may include a space for you to write comments. Use it. Write-in any commitments you have that would conflict with jury service such as work/family responsibilities or conflicts of interest.


HARDSHIP EXCUSE - GET EXCUSED THROUGH THE MAIL
If you have a legitimate hardship that prevents you from serving, write a letter to the court. Do so even if the court doesn't specify your situation as "excusable." You may be let go through the mail.
Remember that the court may empathize with your situation, but may not let you off the hook easily through the mail. If your request for excuse is rejected, don't worry. You will generally find the court more reasonable when you appear for your first day of service.


THE BEST WAY TO BE EXCUSED - DURING JURY ASSEMBLY
If you have been unsuccessful getting excused through the mail, the next step is to get and excuse when you report to court.
Shortly after reporting for service, a court employee may ask if anyone has a compelling problem that will keep them from serving. THIS IS THE BEST TIME FOR YOU TO REQUEST TO BE EXCUSED. If you have a legitimate reason (such as work, travel, medical or family care responsibilities), you may very well be excused at this time.
People wanting excuses will be asked to come to the front. You will be questioned by the court employee. You will then either be excused or told to return to your seat. If you are excused, you will have to continue to phone-in for the remainder of the jury duty call-in period. You may be required to report again for jury selection. If you are not excused, you may still have a chance to get out of service during the jury selection process.


LAST CHANCE FOR EXCUSE - JURY SELECTION
Once the initial jury assembly is complete, the remaining group ("panel") is eligible for the jury selection process. You will be asked to line up in a specific order. You will be taken as a group to the courtroom and guided to a specific seat. A seating chart has been created so everyone in the courtroom will know who you are.
The judge will then offer a greeting and general instructions on what is about to happen. The judge's instructions may take 30-45 minutes. Following the judge's initial welcome and instructions, questioning of jurors will begin. You may hear this process called "Voir Dire" (pronounced 'voy dare'.) Voir Dire means "to speak the truth."
You will be sworn to tell the truth and answer questions in open court. The questions are designed to reveal any conflicts of interest you may have in judging a specific case. For instance, if the case is about bank fraud, the court wants to make sure you're not a banker who is too biased to judge the case fairly. Expect questions about your employment, friendships and family relationships. You may also be asked if you have friends/family members in law enforcement. You will be asked standard questions about your belief in the jury system and if you can judge the case fairly. Questions may be asked by attorneys or from a list of prepared questions presented to you by the judge.
You will likely be asked at this time if you have any scheduling or personal conflicts that will prevent you from serving as a juror. Regardless of whether the question is asked, at this time you must make it clear that you have a conflict with jury service. Be prepared to state why you can serve (work, family, philosophical difference.) If you are passionate enough you will shouldn't be asked to serve (though you won't immediately know the court's decision.) The court only wants to select jurors how want to serve. If you make it clear that you do not want to serve, chances are you will not be asked.
During questioning you will be asked if you believe in the jury system and if you can judge the case fairly. Answering with a simple "no" is a sure way to get dismissed. However, you should tell the truth... you are under oath at this time. Expect the judge to ask you why you feel as you do.
Following questioning, the group of potential jurors will be excused for a break. During the break the judge will decide which jurors will be excused "for cause" (meaning they have a legitimate conflict in fairly hearing the case.) Attorneys will also reject potential jurors using a limited number of "peremptory challenges." Peremptory challenges can be used against you for any reason. They are mostly used to eliminate jurors that either the defense of prosecution thinks will be too detrimental to their side. Once the final list of jurors is determined, you will be asked to return to the courtroom. The names of the chosen will be called by the judge. The people who were not selected as a juror or an alternate will be excused for the day (though they'll have to continue calling in each day for the remainder of the phone-in period.)


ONE MORE "LAST CHANCE" TO BE EXCUSED
If for some reason the improbable has happened and you've been seated against your will, there is still "one more last chance." Send a note to the judge requesting a meeting. After the first break in proceedings, the judge will see you the courtroom with both the defense and prosecution there to watch. You can then restate your objection to serving and ask to be excused.


OUTRAGEOUS STATEMENTS TO "THROW" THE PROCESS
Once your friends find out that you've been summonsed for jury duty, they will tell you their favorite "get out of jury duty excuses." These generally are humorous or advocate that you make some kind of outrageous statement to the court. Of course you can always pretend to be an idiot, a bigot or a radical. However, this is unnecessary. As you can see from the techniques above, the court leaves plenty of opportunities for you to honestly get out of jury duty.



NEXT
MORE JURY DUTY INFORMATION:

Source: http://www.pagerealm.com/jury/jury-d...t-service.html
Reply

Tania
04-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I have no idea... where are you located though?
Romania

Are so many options to avoid the jury and i find the instant excuses very efficient. They can't force you to sit there if you don't want to.
Reply

Muezzin
04-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by FBI
You should've told them your prejudiced to all races.
Nah, misanthropes would be welcomed by the legal system.
Reply

Grace Seeker
04-24-2007, 01:12 AM
What day do you have to report?

In Illinois, the system actually varies from county to county. The only time I was called, all I had to do was call a phone number to get a recorded message. I was in the pool for about 2 weeks. During that time they never listed my name as one who had to report for the screening process, so I have no more to share with you.

More recently a man at my church shared with me about his jury duty. He at first thought about getting out of it with a work related excuse, but decided to go ahead and show. He got selected and was on a civil suit for a person who claimed to have fallen and wanted to get money from the property owner. It took less than 4 hours to figure that he had made it all up and give him nothing.

I would be interested in hearing what your experience is like.
Reply

جوري
04-24-2007, 01:21 AM
my brother told me he was a juror just last year.. for some reason he didn't make as much a fuss of it as I am lol... he got a case of petty theft, that trial lasted one week... to be honest with you... it is my personal feeling that unless you actually have some knowledge of the law and the court system, you have no business sitting there and "judging" somebody ... anyhow, be that as it may.. my date is for May 21st... well see how it works.

I pray to G-D it is nothing complicated like a murder case or a juvenile case... I have no trust in lawyers what so ever that a case wouldn't be presented truthfully, or that some terrible mistake would be made one way or the other that would fall on my conscious and haunt me later down the line... Eh anyhow we'll see...I am just jumping the gun right now hopefully they will just not select me and I can put this behind me and not think about it for a while......
Reply

smoothstn
04-24-2007, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
my brother told me he was a juror just last year.. for some reason he didn't make as much a fuss of it as I am lol... he got a case of petty theft, that trial lasted one week... to be honest with you... it is my personal feeling that unless you actually have some knowledge of the law and the court system, you have no business sitting there and "judging" somebody ... anyhow, be that as it may.. my date is for May 21st... well see how it works.

I pray to G-D it is nothing complicated like a murder case or a juvenile case... I have no trust in lawyers what so ever that a case wouldn't be presented truthfully, or that some terrible mistake would be made one way or the other that would fall on my conscious and haunt me later down the line... Eh anyhow we'll see...I am just jumping the gun right now hopefully they will just not select me and I can put this behind me and not think about it for a while......
You dont need any knowledge of law to be a juror. Rather you dont need any kind of knowledge for that, I tell you. Just sit down and see how the lawyers explain the case and the relevant law very simple and clear to you. It is not your duty to know something before hand about the case and law. It is their duty to explain. A lawyer failing to convince you would lose the case. So just relax and listen carefully. Then make your judgment honestly. Honesty and impartiality is all they need from you.
Reply

Grace Seeker
05-04-2007, 02:14 PM
"Please, Your Honor, I'd like to be excused from jury duty,"
pleaded an anxious-looking man.

"Why should I excuse you?" asked the judge.

"You see, I owe a man fifty dollars, and he's leaving in a
few hours for a post abroad. He'll be there for years and I
want to catch him before he leaves, for it may be my last
chance to repay him."

"Excused," stated the judge coldly. "We don't want anyone on
the jury who can lie like that."
Thought you might like the story.

What's the rest of your story look like?
Reply

جوري
05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Thought you might like the story.

What's the rest of your story look like?
^^:haha: :haha: -- that is a good one totally forgot about this-- juror ticket sitting in front of me collecting coffee stains from various cups...
I am pretty sure they will disqualify me... I have spoken to a couple of colleagues who told me I am exactly the sort of person they don't want on a jury... So for now I am taking comfort in that until such a time when things become more apparent...
thanks for the advise though.. it was exactly what I needed to :thumbs_up :D
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!