/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The need for oil is slowly disappearing

MTAFFI
04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Everyday it seems like there is a new article on enviroment friendly vehicles, I read somewhere else the other day that within 15 years time we wont even need oil to get around anymore (in cars at least). What is the middle east going to do when the world doesnt have to pay for their oil anymore? Just curious if anyone knows if the countries over there have some sort of backup plan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070422/...ghai_auto_show

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
Everyday it seems like there is a new article on enviroment friendly vehicles, I read somewhere else the other day that within 15 years time we wont even need oil to get around anymore (in cars at least). What is the middle east going to do when the world doesnt have to pay for their oil anymore? Just curious if anyone knows if the countries over there have some sort of backup plan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070422/...ghai_auto_show
China, India, and many others will still remain addicted to oil. The U.S. and other Western countries might lower their oil use to a certain degree, but the need for oil will remain high for quite some time.

Khan-Ghalgha
04-23-2007, 10:11 PM
First off all 15 years sounds unbelievable, oil not only used for powering transport vehicles, the range of stuff made of oil is huge, the world is gonna be in need for oil for many decades to come, unless a scientifical breakthrough occurs, like cold fusion or something of that sort, but that's unlikely, and provide a link about "...in 15 years" article.

Majority of muslims around the world ain't living in particular oil-rich countries and countries which are oil-rich are equally "rich"- corrupted. Nothing would change much for absolute majority of muslims, unless for the better. For the rich ones - they would have to poop in regular toilets rather than golden.

Keltoi
04-23-2007, 10:15 PM
If oil stopped being in wide demand on the global market, it would Saudi Arabia and Kuwait who would suffer most. They have no economic alternatives.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Khan-Ghalgha
04-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Not only Saudi and Kuwait, a few more arab countries like Libya for instance.

Norway is the country which became rich due to oil, they have invested great deal of their income into devoloping non-oil dependant industries. At the moment Norway can keep pretty much the same high living standards if you take oil completely out of equation.
SA on other hand is completely useless without oil, investments in developing
economy and science are negligible, take oil away from them and they are just one more poor muslim country on the block.

AHMED_GUREY
04-24-2007, 12:07 AM
maybe in 50/60 years time

MTAFFI
04-24-2007, 02:08 PM
I went out and tried to find a link for the 15 year deal and I cannot seem to remember where I found it at, I will do a little more looking when I have more time today. In any case, dont count it out, 15 years is actually a long time and since cars are already running on hydrogen fuel cells, ethanol based fuel and clean deisel I definitely wouldnt count it out in the next 15 years. Think of the technological leaps and bounds made since 1990. It really isnt realistic, since billions are being dumped into this by government and private organizations. I think even that link I posted made a reference to the Chinese investing in it. Dont get me wrong, oil is definitely going to be needed for things for a long time to come, but I think from what I have seen and what I have been reading that within 20 years the US will use more eco friendly cars than the same old combustion cars we use today. I am not saying it will dessimate any nation, the article is more directed for those who think that the US is trying to steal oil and such, when we are actually trying to find a cleaner, more efficient way to run our vehicles without any dependance on other countries.

Anyways I will find you the link that shows the 15 year thing (I may have saw it on television though)

Keltoi
04-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I've heard the fifteen year theory myself, but I have to say it does seem a little too optimistic.

MTAFFI
04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I've heard the fifteen year theory myself, but I have to say it does seem a little too optimistic.
People said the same about computers in 1990 when Bill Gates said the 386/486 processor and a meg of ram was all the people of the world would ever need. When people establish a goal, that has the potential for revolution and large sums of money anything can happen. No one would have thought in 1990 that a car could parallel park itself (lexus)

Idris
04-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Well that's a good thing they do not have to worry about bombs.

Keltoi
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Idris
Not making the connection..care to elaborate?

Noor
04-25-2007, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Idris
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Keltoi, don't act like you dont know what the brother is implying. If you really don't know, then maybe you should lift the rock you live under a little more.

MTAFFI
04-25-2007, 02:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noor
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Keltoi, don't act like you dont know what the brother is implying. If you really don't know, then maybe you should lift the rock you live under a little more.

Perhaps I am under a rock then as well, because I dont get this shady comment either?? This thread is about the use of new fuels not really bombs... but since you are so enlightened how about you elaborate.. :D

Khan-Ghalgha
04-26-2007, 12:39 AM
I think he was implying that US wouldn't need to care as much to "bomb" oil out of oil rich countries if they won't need it as badly as of now, might be wrong though:P

MTAFFI
04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khan-Ghalgha
I think he was implying that US wouldn't need to care as much to "bomb" oil out of oil rich countries if they won't need it as badly as of now, might be wrong though:P
If what you are saying is correct than the original poster of that comment is as ignorant and blind as that post

Erundur
04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
yay eco-evironmentally friendly alternatives

MTAFFI
04-26-2007, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Erundur
yay eco-evironmentally friendly alternatives
:D :statisfie :)

Woodrow
04-26-2007, 04:58 PM
What will bring about the fastest end to the petroleum industry as we know it, is where the profits are. When alternatives can be seen to be potentially more profitable than petroleum, the industry will make a masive switch. Profits attract investors, investors determine what will be made, what is made determines what we will use.

The Gasoline guys are beginning to look at other more profitable products to sell.

Fuel Blend News

Major U.S. Oil Company to Develop Alternative Fuels

Posted: 04/17/2007

ConocoPhillips and Tyson Foods, Inc. have announced a strategic alliance to produce and market the next generation of renewable diesel fuel. The alliance plans to use beef, pork and poultry by-products to create a transportation fuel. The finished product will be renewable diesel fuel mixtures that meet all federal standards for ultra-low-sulfur diesel. Production is expected to eventually reach 175 million gallons per year of renewable diesel. ConocoPhillips is the first major U.S. oil company to implement programs to develop alternative fuels.

The company also plans to fund a $22 million project at Iowa State University to develop biofuels over the next eight years. Overseas oil giants, including Chevron, BP, and Royal Dutch Shell, have already begun alternative fuel development programs. Only Exxon-Mobil, of the big five, remains strictly focused on petroleum.
Source: http://www.eere.energy.gov/cleanciti...TS_NEW/700/1/0

Keltoi
04-26-2007, 05:04 PM
If a country like Brazil can function fine using ethanol, why can't the U.S.? I realize our consumption is larger, but surely ethanol can be used to drastically limit the amount of oil the U.S. needs to refine. I know there is some concern now that ethanol may be worse for humans than gas fumes, but its a start.

Woodrow
04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
If a country like Brazil can function fine using ethanol, why can't the U.S.? I realize our consumption is larger, but surely ethanol can be used to drastically limit the amount of oil the U.S. needs to refine. I know there is some concern now that ethanol may be worse for humans than gas fumes, but its a start.
Once the energy guys are forced to look outside the box, there are choices. Methanol can also be economically produced and that can be cracked into into methane and afew other usable products. Methane is the usable portion of natural gas. With a little switching of carborators todays automobile engines can be made to run on propane, butane, methane, ethane etc. Which ever is the most cost effective. The only reason we are stuck with petroleum is because at the moment it produces the highest profit

Uthman
04-26-2007, 05:25 PM
:sl:

The need for oil is disappearing. Well, that's good news seeing as it was going to run out soon anyway.

Alhamdulillah, his blessings are many. :)

:w:

MTAFFI
04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
What is crazy is that many cars that have been built since 2001 can already run on ethanol based fuel, all we need are the gas stations to use it

Woodrow
04-26-2007, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
What is crazy is that many cars that have been built since 2001 can already run on ethanol based fuel, all we need are the gas stations to use it
True, that would not happen unless the gasoline boys were not already diverting their attention to non-petroleum energy. that should be an indication as to what areas the investors are putting their money.

MTAFFI
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
True, that would not happen unless the gasoline boys were not already diverting their attention to non-petroleum energy. that should be an indication as to what areas the investors are putting their money.
It most definitely is a very good indicator. Personally I am hoping for a hydrogen break thru to make it cheaper. Seems like the best alternative to me, they say it is not only extremely quiet but it also doesnt lose very much power compared to todays gas powered. It is going to be a while I am sure, but the major car companies are already having prototypes put out. I just hope in 15 or 20 years they can get the price down and we wont have to pay $3 a gallon for gas and maybe san francisco and los angles ever looming cloud will clear up

AHMED_GUREY
04-26-2007, 08:04 PM
A teacher of mine once said he and his fellow classmates as children were given books illustrating the future and one of the pages had a city with flying cars and the date was 1988

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool:D

so be carefull with these ''to good to be true'' dates and estimations:)

Woodrow
04-26-2007, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=AHMED_GUREY;723711]A teacher of mine once said he and his fellow classmates as children were given books illustrating the future and one of the pages had a city with flying cars and the date was 1988

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool:D

I found that the best indicators are what developments the major companies are putting the greatest emphasis on. Typically from the time an idea has gone from the planning stage to actual production is about 5 years. So if a company has begun diverting resources into an area it is something they have decided was feasible a few years ago and now it is time to make the physical changes.

Car manufacturers and gasoline producers work very close together.

some of you may remember when the change was made from leaded to unleaded gasoline. For the unleaded cars to sell there had to be an adequate supply of unleaded gasoline.

so it is with the ethanol production, right now it looks like the gasoline people are diverting sufficient investment from gasoline production to ethanol production to make purely ethanol powered cars marketable.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.