/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Pharmacology" anyone?

Al-Hanbali
04-26-2007, 09:06 PM
:salamext:

I was just wondering if anyone here studies or knows anything about "Pharmacology".

I just had a few queries like what does the subject involve studying?, how long is the course?, what career options are there?, is the profession of Pharmacist linked which this subject? etc.

I would be really greatful if someone could shed some light on this.

Jazak'ALLAH Khair. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Musaafirah
04-26-2007, 10:06 PM
:sl:
In the course I'm studying, we did one pharmacology module last year. Basically it's about drug interaction with the drug target. I think you'll need to do a "Pharamacy" degree to actually become a registered pharamcist, but I'm not too sure..
Oh, I hope I haven't confused you or anything!
:w:

akhan
04-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Well I know that tot become a pharmacist you need to do 4 years of school after your Bachelors..this is in the USA. Pharmacology is the study of all aspects of drugs....their chemistry, molecular structure, interactions, distribution within the body, etc......Pharmacists here make a good living.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-27-2007, 04:05 AM
:w:

It's the study of how substances interact with living organisms. Pharmacologists are responsible for the discovery of hundreds of chemicals used in the treatment of disease and the relief of human and animal suffering.

A wide variety of career options are open to those with pharmacology qualifications:

Drug hunting in the pharmaceutical industry involves research at the cutting edge of many aspects of biology using the most modern techniques and facilities.

Basic or applied biology research in Universities and other institutions covers areas as diverse as AIDS, cancer and Alzheimer's dementia.

Clinical research takes drugs from the laboratory into the clinic and establishes the effectiveness of medicines in patients.

Product registration, pharmaceutical sales and information science also provide fascinating career options for pharmacologists.

Pharmacology provides a broad scientific training and pharmacologists also work in legal environments (e.g. patents), regulatory bodies, the financial sector, teaching, general management and general science.

biochemist, biomedical scientist, doctor, food scientist, forensic scientist, microbiologist, pharmacist or research biologist/chemist.
Err I got this from here lol. I'm also going into the field.

http://www.ca.courses-careers.com/pharmacology.htm

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-27-2007, 04:09 AM
pharmacy school is 6 yrs in the U.S. and you graduate with a pharmD.
which is to say a (Doctor of pharmacology) you don't need an undergraduate as you would in medicine.. but you do the same basic sciences as medical school (bio, chemistry, physiology, calculus etc etc) in medicine you'd finish an undergraduate in the field of your choice, most people opt for biology, some do English, it really doesn't matter so long as you do your basic science.. and then apply to graduate school, whereas pharmacy you go straight once you have been accepted there is no "transitional phase" so to speak!

I don't know what it is in other part of the world.. it used to be 5 yrs here but now they have implemented the pharmD program.. most old pharmacists went back to school to "up" their degree...
I believe it to be an excellent career choice...
fi aman illah and may G-D grant you success insha'Allah

muzna
04-27-2007, 05:13 AM
we do a year of pharmacology in med school..sooooooooooooo tough..

Al-Hanbali
04-27-2007, 07:22 PM
:salamext:

Jazak'ALLAH for all ur replies.

Takumi
05-26-2007, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
pharmacy school is 6 yrs in the U.S. and you graduate with a pharmD.
which is to say a (Doctor of pharmacology) you don't need an undergraduate as you would in medicine.. but you do the same basic sciences as medical school (bio, chemistry, physiology, calculus etc etc) in medicine you'd finish an undergraduate in the field of your choice, most people opt for biology, some do English, it really doesn't matter so long as you do your basic science.. and then apply to graduate school, whereas pharmacy you go straight once you have been accepted there is no "transitional phase" so to speak!

I don't know what it is in other part of the world.. it used to be 5 yrs here but now they have implemented the pharmD program.. most old pharmacists went back to school to "up" their degree...
I believe it to be an excellent career choice...
fi aman illah and may G-D grant you success insha'Allah

Pharm.D is actually a professional degree abbreviated from Doctor of Pharmacy (not Pharmacology). Pharmacology is a discipline within Pharmacy and it involves the study, research, and practice of how drugs work in the body. Pharm.D, however, involves clinical practice of pharmacy that embodies, drug use, patient counseling, and effective therapeutic regimen. Pharm.D's work closely with all health professionals in deciding patients' medication profile.

You may get a Bachelors of Pharmacology if you wish in many universities or you may specialize it in graduate school after attending College of Pharmacy or any other disciplines.

After MBBS or M.D you may opt to do Clinical Pharmacology where you will actively participate in the deciding on which therapeutic regimen is the best for a given patient based on real-time clinical data or observations, unlike Ph.D in Pharmacology, where you work will almost always be based on laboratory work; conducting prospective studies on a new entity or effects of drugs on animals.

Pharmacy is a great career choice. You're an integral part in the health sciences community and pharmacists with Pharm.D are gaining worldwide recognition for their expertise in drugs, their usage, interactions, and practical patient-based therapeutic modalities. With a Pharm.D you may also become professors at universities.

Thanks.

Ahmed_Asad
05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
salam alaykum! pharmocology is very interesting subject if your interested in chemestry! im going to do a module in my psychology degree called psychopharmacology it involves drugs and the human brain and treatments! anyways Thers a pharmacy school within University of London called London school of Pharmacy check there website out http://www.pharmacy.ac.uk/our_courses.html

also try out University College London -UCL pharmacology website there Rated one of the best in the world!

Ahmed_Asad
05-29-2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Pharmacology/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.