/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Russia & Us Good Or Bad Relations?

MTAFFI
04-27-2007, 08:05 PM
For a while now I have been watching and listening to Pres. Putin of Russia. I have also done a little research on the man. From what I have read I dont find him to really be a great man. In fact the more I hear from him and the more I see of his policies, ethics and leadership the more I become concerned that he is wanting to bring back tension with the US. Really this article is just one of the most recent, but I think it demonstrates and represents the type of feelings he has towards the US. It is well known that the US does not harbor ill will towards Russia, but I am not so sure about vice versa, the more I see the more I think of how Pres. Putin was a part of the communist party of the soviet union at one time, among other political and military affiliations and how he could possibly be hiding his intentions and feelings about the US until the right time for mother russia to get her revenge. Someone let me know if I am being paranoid or crazy here. :D

Russia will counter U.S. missile shield: Putin By Oleg Shchedrov
1 hour, 47 minutes ago

MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin on Friday renewed criticism of U.S. plans to deploy a missile shield in Eastern Europe, saying Russia would take "appropriate measures" to counter the system.

Putin told Czech President Vaclav Klaus at a Kremlin meeting that the proposed missile shield would be used to track Russian military activities.

"These systems will monitor Russian territory as far as the Ural mountains if we don't come out with a response," Putin told Klaus. "And we will indeed do this. Anyone would."

"We will not get hysterical about this. We will just take appropriate measures," he said, without elaborating.

Russia views the U.S. plan to base 10 missile interceptors in Poland and radar in the Czech Republic from 2012 as a major threat to its national security.

Washington says the system is needed to defend Europe and U.S. forces there against what it calls "rogue states" such as Iran and North Korea. But top Russian politicians say the U.S. plan could disrupt European stability and fuel a new Cold War-style arms race.

Moscow's top brass say the missile shield does not pose any immediate military threat for Russia, but warn that Russia will have to develop new anti-missile technology to counter it.

Speaking at a news conference with Klaus, Putin compared the missile shield plan with the deployment of U.S. Pershing-2 missiles in Western Europe in the early 1980s, which triggered a bitter diplomatic crisis in the final years of the Cold War.

In Washington, U.S. State Department Deputy Spokesman Tom H. Casey said the defense shield should not be seen as "altering the strategic balance or changing the fundamental nature of the relationship between Russia and the West."

"I think there's a tremendous difference between the situation in 2007 versus the situation in, say, 1987," Casey told a daily briefing.

But the dispute over missile defense has strained already stormy relations between Moscow and Washington, with some officials talking of a new Cold War.

In a sign of growing tensions, Putin announced in a speech on Thursday that Russia was freezing its commitments under the Conventional Forces in Europe treaty, a deal hammered out at the end of the Cold War to maintain the regional strategic balance.

"For the first time, elements of the U.S. strategic nuclear system are appearing on the European continent," Putin said on Friday. "This element dramatically changes the security situation in Europe.

"We do not understand ... what is happening in Europe now that requires such aggressive actions," Putin said. "We see no arguments for deploying the missile shield in Europe."

(Additional reporting by Washington bureau and Guy Faulconbridge in Moscow)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070427/...ussia_putin_dc

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
04-28-2007, 04:42 PM
It comes down to Putin and Bush mainly. They don't like each other. They made a show of being "friends" a few years ago, but that fell apart pretty quick. What I hope for is a new Russian president and a new American president that can mend relations between us. Unfortunately, it looks like Putin's successor will more than likely be of his ilk. Democracy in Russia is a fragile thing at the moment.

NobleMuslimUK
04-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Last I heard was the US gives aid to Russia, I didnt know the ex-soviet country was in such a bad state of decay. As long as Russia doesnt try to be a sore in the backside for America then relations will be normal. The Russians will pay favours back when they are asked to do so.
The US has made the Middle East a very fragile and volatile place, Russia has vested business interests to develop its economy by meeting the demand of energy for it. I dont understand, Russia can flood the market with oil, or it could be part of the oil monoply to sit on it as it is too expensive the extract oil in that region. On top of that Russian oil needs a lot of expensive processing to make it usable for various purposes. Middle Eastern oil very easy to extract, and is in the form of crude, easy to work with.
So relations could turn very sour with America's continuing blood shed in the Middle East. Especially when Israel will be taking a large part of the pie.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.