/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Student-Teacher Relationship.

Taqiyah
04-28-2007, 06:10 AM
salaam.

I am working on a paper for my AP English class...it is an I-Search Paper actually and not a Research paper and I choose Student-Teacher relationship in America and in other countries like my own ,as my topic. I have a month to interview 50 people including Teachers, parents, Students, Principals and read loads of books, articles, magazines and whatnot.. But I was hopping I could get your opinions before I start my research. Here is some of the things I am planning to discuss in my paper....
  • Why American students don't have the kinda respect that most students in other countries have for their teachers? Why do they challenge their teacher's authority? Could the country's over-exaggerated believe in "freedom Of Speech" be part of the problem? Could their parents' raising skills be part of the problem? Is anyone doing anything about this immoral behavior?

If you live in America and went to or are going to high school/middle school/elementary, then you definitely know what I am talking about! It was extremely hard for me to tolerate this when i first came to America, having known and practiced a culture that viewed teachers as a symbol of light, knowledge, righteousness and most of all as faithful "parents". I have never imagined a student-not talking back to his/her teacher as bad as that would be- but actually flat-out insulting him right in front of his face...that was too much for me to bear+o( ...I was so disgusted :enough!: n that is one of the reasons I choose to discuss this topic...coz I am dying to find out more...
How about you guys, are the student-teacher relationships in your countries this way or is it more like my country's?:? :?
Do teachers beat their students in your countries or are they carefree and disrespected like in America? :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
04-28-2007, 10:35 AM
:wasalamex

In the UK, the people only talk back if the teacher is either too soft, or trying to be too strict.

But if the teacher has a strong reputation of being really strict and making them stay after the school/college time etc. then the people usually listen.

Or if the teacher is okay and abit more relaxed with the students - then they might listen and do the work because the teacher might let them out if they finish the work early etc.

I think it's linked to reward and punishment alot, that's when students usually listen to their teachers. And Allaah knows best.

Uthman
04-28-2007, 11:41 AM
:sl:

My personal observation is that students tend to abuse teachers when the teacher attempts to demand authority. The autocratic/authoritarian style causes resentment on the part of the pupils and lack of motivation.

Likewise, abuse from students tends to take place when the teacher is too lenient and literally allows the students to take over.

Abuse happens the least when there is a healthy balance between the two types that I mentioned above. The teacher is kind and humorous and engages with the students, making the lesson fun whilst making it clear where the proverbial line is drawn.

:w:

Taqiyah
04-28-2007, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:wasalamex

But if the teacher has a strong reputation of being really strict and making them stay after the school/college time etc. then the people usually listen.

Or if the teacher is okay and abit more relaxed with the students - then they might listen and do the work because the teacher might let them out if they finish the work early etc.

I think it's linked to reward and punishment alot, that's when students usually listen to their teachers. And Allaah knows best.

salaam.

That is just the thing I am confused about...I used to believe if the teacher is too strict then the students might actually get little scared and do what they are suppose to do...but on the contrary in America some students get even more violent and no matter what kinda punishment they are given they tend to stick with this twisted attitude.. believe me I have seen far too many students like this....and I still don't know what is causing them to act like that..it is definitely not the "strictness" or the "softness" of the teacher, that I know for sure.:X

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
04-28-2007, 10:54 PM
If the teacher is snobby you don't listen if the teacher is nice you listen cause u know u will go home early yipee

Teachers in UK don't beat the kids up.///

Peace.

chacha_jalebi
04-28-2007, 11:02 PM
from experience, i neva respectd my teachas who were rude to me! if you wan a student to respect u, then you gotta be on their level, lik make jokes, b friendly and the students will respect you

strider
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Give respect and you'll get respect. It's pretty simple, imo not to mention it works a treat. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.