/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What if someone is married to a non-Muslim and then they convert?

engawa
04-29-2007, 04:13 AM
What if two non-Muslims are married and then one of them converts to Islam? I know that in some religions (Islam, Catholicism, etc.) it is not permissible to marry outside of the faith, but what if the person converts after marriage?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
04-29-2007, 06:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by engawa
What if two non-Muslims are married and then one of them converts to Islam? I know that in some religions (Islam, Catholicism, etc.) it is not permissible to marry outside of the faith, but what if the person converts after marriage?
If It is the man that converts, there is no problem. Provided the woman was one of the "People of the Book" Christian, Jewish or Sabian.

If it is a woman there can be a problem as a muslim woman can not marry a Non-Muslim.

Actually this is not a very likely thing to occur as in most cases when one partner in a amarriage converts, they both do.

the chances are that if only one converts there had been so many other differences before that the odds are they will have divorced before the conversion.

although on rare occasion a woman will convert and her husband doesn't she is supposed to give him encouragement to convert and if he doesn't she is to divorce him. That rarely happens.

siFilam
04-29-2007, 11:58 AM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

peace,

it is permissible in Islam for Muslim man to marry woman from the "People of the Book" meaning the Jews and the Christian.
I hope this answers your question.

-SI-

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-29-2007, 05:03 PM
:sl:

I actually got a question relating to this. What if a Muslim woman marries a non Muslim, does she still remain a Muslim? I've been told she isn't, whether or not she claims herself to be one. Anyone?

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
04-30-2007, 07:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy

I actually got a question relating to this. What if a Muslim woman marries a non Muslim, does she still remain a Muslim? I've been told she isn't, whether or not she claims herself to be one. Anyone?

I would see it as very difficult for her to remain Muslim. To be a good Islamic wife she would need to follow her Husband. So that means she would have to become the religion of her husband. However, if she tries to remain Muslim, that means she can not be a good wife as she would not be able to support her husbands religion. Just my opinion Astagfirullah

Muslim Woman
04-30-2007, 09:58 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&

format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy

i m almost 100 % sure that she is still a Muslim .

committing a sin does not automatically make anyone a non-Muslim. But surely for breaking a major command in Quran , she will become a sinner & most probably (not sure ) her married life will be considered as illegal.

Nawal89
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
To the best of my knowledge she would still be a muslim, but would be committing a major sin - zina, because her marriage isnt valid in the first place.

Muslim Woman
04-30-2007, 03:44 PM

Salaam/peace;

If a man reverts to Islam & his wife is a Jew or Christian , then it's ok.

If woman reverts , then s ome say that marriage breaks immediately ...it's not true. Time ( not sure how many days ) will be given to husband to study about Islam.

If there is no chance that her husband will accept Islam i.e. he refueses to accept Islam after studying , then most probably marriage will be broken.

I suggest that u ask any learned Imam as this is a very sensative issue.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-30-2007, 05:39 PM
JazakAllah Khair. Any like hadeeths or verses supporting it? Just incase i'd need to explain it.

Muslim Woman
05-02-2007, 02:46 AM

Salaam/peace ,

here is a related thread , u will find a fatwa there.

women staying married to their non-muslim husbands

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...-husbands.html

here is few lines from fatwa:

1) You can stay with your husband until you can decide for something more appropriate and convenient for your psychological and Islamic life.
2) Your priority should be the betterment of Islam in your life and in your family. Who knows maybe your husband could accept Islam.

3) Everything of your marriage and children is legitimate. You are not committing adultery as you are staying with him for the time being.

4) I want you, after some three months, to write to us about any development or growth of your story. We want to be helpful and cooperative. You should not listen to any non-sense ignorant appeal.

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=v1fc55

Kashnowe
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
if a catholic marries a muslim or a jew it is just not permissable to be married in the church. they can still marry tho.

i think the conundrum is the same for all religions when one marries outside of the religion...........makes sense but in a strange way i find it wonderful that some people can just fall in love and religion or politics per-say don't mean a thing. love is powerful.

tresbien
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
peace,

it is permissible in Islam for Muslim man to marry woman from the "People of the Book" meaning the Jews and the Christian. yes but stipulates that they should be chate
I hope this answers your question

engawa
05-04-2007, 01:09 AM
I understand and thank everyone for their advice. What is a marriage is totally happy though. For example, I can not imagine leaving my husband for any reason. It would devastate both of us. Also, I do not believe in ending a happy marriage. So, does this mean I could never convert to Islam (because he never will. his background is Christian but he is an athiest).

Woodrow
05-04-2007, 02:08 AM
I understand and thank everyone for their advice. What is a marriage is totally happy though. For example, I can not imagine leaving my husband for any reason. It would devastate both of us. Also, I do not believe in ending a happy marriage. So, does this mean I could never convert to Islam (because he never will. his background is Christian but he is an athiest).
Only you can answer that. to be Muslim means a total surrender to Allah(swt) our only need is to worship Allah(swt). We need to do our best to serve only Allah(swt). I can not measure or tell any person if they are doing their best.

August
05-04-2007, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
If it is a woman there can be a problem as a muslim woman can not marry a Non-Muslim.
Could you explain why this is? In Catholicism, a marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic is permited if you recieve permision from the bishop, but it doesn't matter if it is the man or the woman who is non-Catholic. Why is it only men who are permitted to mary outside of Islam?

Woodrow
05-04-2007, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
Could you explain why this is? In Catholicism, a marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic is permited if you recieve permision from the bishop, but it doesn't matter if it is the man or the woman who is non-Catholic. Why is it only men who are permitted to mary outside of Islam?
That is to protect the woman. It would be very difficult for a Muslim Wife to live as a Muslim with a Husband that does not know how to support her religious beliefs.

The woman would also loose many rights afforded a woman in marriage one of them being her right to be free from paying household expenses.

There are other factors involved also. Perhaps other members who have had to face the issue can explain more in detail.

MeMama
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
This subject is very clse to me right now. I am currently considering reversion to Islam (not sure yet, as I am still agnostic) but I am married to an agnostic. He has already said that he will not revert, even if I do. He refuses to read the Qur'an as well. We have a small baby and I would not want to divorce him, even if staying with him would be a major sin in Islam. I already have all the rights afforded me in the Qur'an and I know he is a good man and will never take them away from me. My money that I earn doesn't go towards household expenses anyway -- it is mine to do with as I please. He also has no problem with my practice of faith, whatever faith that will turn out to be (because I am still searching).

But if I decided to recite the Shehada, what would I do? I would stay married to him because I love him, and he loves me, and we have a beautiful, healthy son together. But if it's still a major sin, I guess I would have to live with that. :?

Umar001
05-09-2007, 10:12 PM
This is kind of amazing for me, just a question, if you believe in a creator who has nurtured you and so forth, whether the person is Christian or Muslim, how can that person then love someone who rejects this Creator. That's always puzzled me personally, just curious.

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is to protect the woman. It would be very difficult for a Muslim Wife to live as a Muslim with a Husband that does not know how to support her religious beliefs.

The woman would also loose many rights afforded a woman in marriage one of them being her right to be free from paying household expenses.

There are other factors involved also. Perhaps other members who have had to face the issue can explain more in detail.
I don't think that is correct brother, the above are some of the wisdom which we can see, but not the reason or part of the reason unless its revealed to us.

I mean, for example, if someone then comes and removes all the above obsticles the ruling would not change, because the reason is that God has commanded it.

I hope that makes sense.

So the wisdom behind it might be shown to us as the above, thats cool, but thats not the reason.

Well I don't know the ruling, but there are muslim fornicators and adulterors, nonetheless still muslim and I rather be a Muslim fornicator then a Non Muslim fornicator, but better yet I'd rather TRY love my creator and stick to the right way, as much as humanly possible.

August
05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I don't think that is correct brother, the above are some of the wisdom which we can see, but not the reason or part of the reason unless its revealed to us.

I mean, for example, if someone then comes and removes all the above obsticles the ruling would not change, because the reason is that God has commanded it.

I hope that makes sense.

So the wisdom behind it might be shown to us as the above, thats cool, but thats not the reason.
But do you believe that God commands people to do things for no reason? I don't think that God arbitrarily hands down moral laws. I think those laws are given for good reason.

Woodrow
05-09-2007, 11:59 PM

I hope that makes sense.

It is a fine line to distinguish between the reasons and the benefits. It seems that everything Allah(swt) commands even when we do not know the reason, there seems to be benefits in it for us. But, you are correct, even if we can not see any benefits it is our duty to obey.

MeMama
05-10-2007, 01:15 AM
This is kind of amazing for me, just a question, if you believe in a creator who has nurtured you and so forth, whether the person is Christian or Muslim, how can that person then love someone who rejects this Creator. That's always puzzled me personally, just curious.
Peace Al-Habeshi,

I know this question wasn't directed to me, but I can weigh in with my thoughts and feelings on the subject (if that's OK).

I think people fall in love with more than just something like what religion another person is. Personality, humor, mannerisms all play a huge role in love. Also, two people of differing faiths can hold to the same core values even if their beliefs differ.

When my husband and I met, I was a practicing pagan (I have since seen the error in that belief, though). He was, and still is, an agnostic. We fell in love regardless of our differing beliefs because our core values were the same, and because of our personalities, mannerisms, and senses of humor were also very similar.

So, just because someone is of a different faith does not mean they can't love each other very deeply and have profound respect for each other. Love goes much deeper, and is more complex, than that.

Peace to you. I hope that helped you understand. :statisfie

Muslim Woman
05-11-2007, 01:16 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&

format_quote Originally Posted by MeMama
...He refuses to read the Qur'an as well.

why he is refusing to read the Quran ? If he does not like reading , u may gift him audio CD :)

if CD is expensive , free audio Quran reciatation with English translation is avaiable . Download & play it ' accidently ' :p when he is around .....at least he will hear few verses of Quran & God Willing , will be interested to listen more.

Don't forget to pray for him daily. God is kind , Insha Allah , He will accept ur prayer.

Umar001
05-12-2007, 11:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
But do you believe that God commands people to do things for no reason? I don't think that God arbitrarily hands down moral laws. I think those laws are given for good reason.
Howdy August,

One of the fundamental principles is that God does not make something halal, unless there is pure good or that the good overides any bad in it.

So of course I believe that there is good in everything single thing that Almighty God has prescribed for us.

At the same time, I do not think that the wisdom or the good behind everything is given to us, for example, the physical benefits on the body for fasting a month, i.e. the month of ramadan, was not known at the time of the Prophet, so they would not be able to say 'scientifically this fasting is good for our body' but this being a wisdom behind it was there at that time but they did not know of it, similarly, there are some things which I believe have good behind them but we do not know of them, maybe in the future we will maybe not.

I hope that's clear.

Peace Al-Habeshi,

I know this question wasn't directed to me, but I can weigh in with my thoughts and feelings on the subject (if that's OK).

I think people fall in love with more than just something like what religion another person is. Personality, humor, mannerisms all play a huge role in love. Also, two people of differing faiths can hold to the same core values even if their beliefs differ.

When my husband and I met, I was a practicing pagan (I have since seen the error in that belief, though). He was, and still is, an agnostic. We fell in love regardless of our differing beliefs because our core values were the same, and because of our personalities, mannerisms, and senses of humor were also very similar.

So, just because someone is of a different faith does not mean they can't love each other very deeply and have profound respect for each other. Love goes much deeper, and is more complex, than that.

Peace to you. I hope that helped you understand. :statisfie
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I am glad you did,

And I could not agree more!

The gentleness, charitable, forgiving, simple, attractive side of someone might not dissapear or appear just because someone says I believe in God, my whole family is non muslim and of course I care for my mum, she gave everything up for me, left alot of her own life behind to raise me up, and many other things, but at the same time, no matter how much someone loves a person, I think that loving the One who gave you that person is more important and the love for Him takes presindence, just like if my mum buys me a games console, I really wil love that games console but I love my mum more because she gave me it, in a way I think thats the same, I love my mum but my love for my creator is more thus when my creator wants something and my mum wants another I will please the one I love more.

Hope that sheds light on my thinking.

Eesa.

MeMama
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
... why he is refusing to read the Quran ? ...
Peace Muslim Woman,

He says he's just not interested in it. I can understand that, so I'm not upset about it, maybe just a little annoyed.

Don't forget to pray for him daily. God is kind , Insha Allah , He will accept ur prayer.
I appreciate the advice, but I don't pray. Ever. I'm still an agnostic -- I don't know if I believe in a god or not. That's really the only thing holding me back from converting to Islam. I don't feel it's right to convert unless I'm convinced in god's existence, but I think that if god did exist the Qur'an would be his testimony to mankind.

eh, it's complex. Sorry if I make no sense. :-[

Peace and thank you. :statisfie

MeMama
05-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I am glad you did,

And I could not agree more!

The gentleness, charitable, forgiving, simple, attractive side of someone might not dissapear or appear just because someone says I believe in God, my whole family is non muslim and of course I care for my mum, she gave everything up for me, left alot of her own life behind to raise me up, and many other things, but at the same time, no matter how much someone loves a person, I think that loving the One who gave you that person is more important and the love for Him takes presindence, just like if my mum buys me a games console, I really wil love that games console but I love my mum more because she gave me it, in a way I think thats the same, I love my mum but my love for my creator is more thus when my creator wants something and my mum wants another I will please the one I love more.

Hope that sheds light on my thinking.

Eesa.
Peace and thanks, Al Habeshi. :)

I see your point, and I would agree that for a devout believer as yourself it would be difficult to be with a person who rejected god. However, lots of people who don't believe aren't actively rejecting god -- they just don't feel there is reason enough to believe. That's a lot different than an active rejection out of anger or spite.

So, I see your point, but I think it is more complex than whether or not someone believes. Their reasoning why or why not is more important, in my opinion, than just whether they believe or not. A person who is angry and spiteful is not a good person, whether they're Muslim or Christian or atheist. A person who is full of love and joy is usually a very good person, no matter their faith as well.

At least, that's my point of view. Peace to you and enjoy your day. :statisfie

Muslim Woman
05-17-2007, 09:22 AM

Salaam/peace

I'm still an agnostic -- I don't know if I believe in a god or not.
--what's the differnce between an athiest & agnostic ?

BTW , There is only one God , so no question of a god as there is no more God.

eh, it's complex. Sorry if I make no sense. :-[
--no problem , u will be in my prayer ....i do pray daily :)

Just curious...when u r in trouble , very sick ( ur self or ur near dear ones ...what u do ? Try to pray at that time , u will feel peace :statisfie

Peace and thank you. :statisfie
[/QUOTE]

welcome

MeMama
05-31-2007, 05:26 PM
--what's the differnce between an athiest & agnostic ?
Atheism and agnosticism are two different philosophies. One can be both atheist and agnostic. Atheists do not think there are any gods, and agnostics think that no one can know if there is a god or not.
An atheistic agnostic thinks that no one can know, and further, that there probably isn't one anyway.

BTW , There is only one God , so no question of a god as there is no more God.
We don't know that. you only believe it, and while I commend your belief in the face of a lack of evidence, it doesn't convince me.

--no problem , u will be in my prayer ....i do pray daily :)
Thank you. I'm touched that I'm in your thoughts.

Just curious...when u r in trouble , very sick ( ur self or ur near dear ones ...what u do ? Try to pray at that time , u will feel peace :statisfie
I did try that, a few years back I was very, very sick and in hospital. I just felt like I was talking to the ceiling. I felt silly and stopped. Haven't tried since, I think it's pointless.

Thank you for you help. :)

`**sAbA**`
08-07-2007, 02:15 PM
according to me she will be a muslim becoz thier is faith in her heart that she is muslim n if she is praying namaz n doing every thing whatever she use to do before wedding about islam like reading quran,praying namaz etc
THEN SHE SHOULD BE CALLED AS MUSLIM

Woodrow
08-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Atheism and agnosticism are two different philosophies. One can be both atheist and agnostic. Atheists do not think there are any gods, and agnostics think that no one can know if there is a god or not.
An atheistic agnostic thinks that no one can know, and further, that there probably isn't one anyway.

We don't know that. you only believe it, and while I commend your belief in the face of a lack of evidence, it doesn't convince me.

Thank you. I'm touched that I'm in your thoughts.

I did try that, a few years back I was very, very sick and in hospital. I just felt like I was talking to the ceiling. I felt silly and stopped. Haven't tried since, I think it's pointless.

Thank you for you help. :)
This part of your comment strikes very close to me.

I was in a very similar situation when I was 23 years old. I was very near death and in fact had been pronounced dead at least twice. I slipped in and out of a coma several times in a period of nearly a year. My prognosis was very poor. It was very doubtful I would survive and if I did survive it was most certain I would be a quadriplegic. I too prayed strongly during my lucid moments. However, I was praying for death and a release from the mortal bond that I had grown to fear and despise.

I was very bitter and angry man when I saw my prayer was not answered. I felt I was forced to live a life that I did not want and had begged to be freed from. For a long time I felt my life was a cruel joke and if Allah(swt) existed he must be laughing at my pain and expense. I was a very angry, disillusioned at the concept Allah(swt) existed or even cared about my prayers.

That was a long time ago. In contradiction to my prayers and wishes. I recovered to a large degree. In fact sufficiently to return to 4 more years of active military duty, before I did have to take a medical discharge.

I survived long enough to explore many religious concepts and to finally be brought face-to-face with Islam. It is true my prayers were not answered in the way I desired. But, the final result is I discovered what I truly wanted and that was the unknown prayer that was answered and all else is of no concern or importance. Allah(swt) is the best of planners. Mashallah.

ZOREENA
08-10-2007, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cooloonka
if a catholic marries a muslim or a jew it is just not permissable to be married in the church. they can still marry tho.

i think the conundrum is the same for all religions when one marries outside of the religion...........makes sense but in a strange way i find it wonderful that some people can just fall in love and religion or politics per-say don't mean a thing. love is powerful.

Actualli my mum waz a catholic and married my father in the church...however both reverted to Islam somewhat later...but they were married here in Belfast...but allhumdillah...that Islam got a hold of them!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.