/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Reverts...

Umu 'Isa
04-29-2007, 07:47 AM
:salamext:
A few sisters and I want to get together once a week and have an islamic discussion where we can alll learn new things about the deen.

The sisters that will be most likely to come are reverts and maybe some born cultural muslims, that don't know much about the deen.

We don't want the discussion to be an organized class, but we do want it do have some structure insha Allah.

We were thinking of starting off with the different categories of tawheed, and shirk and then the pillars of islam, pillars of iman etc.
We also want to help them with memorization of salah in arabic and english, and also short surahs and duas etc.

We want everyone to be involved, either by bringing in some piece of information they have found or ayat or ahadith on the topic insha Allah.

The sisters that are organizing this, are reverts themselves and do not have any formal qualifications.

I would like to get peoples opinions and suggestions so that we can work on this a bit more and so that it may be beneficial for the girls insha Allah.

Jazakum Allah khairan in advance.

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SirZubair
04-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Get in touch with someone like Shaykh Afroz Ali of the Al Ghazzali Centre, he might be able to give you a tip or two.

Umu 'Isa
04-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Yeah, we are going get advice from GIYC (Global Islamic Youth Centre), they have a very basic curriculum which Sheikh Feiz compiled :)

SirZubair
04-29-2007, 08:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rahmah
Yeah, we are going get advice from GIYC (Global Islamic Youth Centre), they have a very basic curriculum which Sheikh Feiz compiled :)
Ahhh... Shaykh Feiz...

Allhumdulilah, good on you sis.

Keep up the good work.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umu 'Isa
04-30-2007, 02:52 AM
*bump*

anyone else?

Abdul Fattah
04-30-2007, 03:15 AM
may allah subhana wa ta'ala reward you for your efforts, as for tips, given they do not have qualifications, I would advice them to look up everything. And to always look for ayath and hadeeth when they read an opinion.
A good way to avoid giving a wrongfull answer by mistake is the following:
they could write down all questions and refuse to answer them immediately (unlessof course it's soemthing really basic and obvious that they are certain off). Then they could look it up on their spare time and answer thenext lesson. It might also be helpfull to have a computer with hadeethsoftware and qur'an software nearby
that way when they want to explain something, but don't know the hadeeth by heart to back something up, they can always look it up.

Umu 'Isa
04-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Jazakum Allah khair for your input brothers. It is much appreciated.

In regards to getting someone with qualifications, I wouldn't even know where to look?

We know we can't answer any questions without any proof, so if we can't answer straight away we will come back with the answer the next week... or we'll have a computer nearby that is connected to the internet so we can look up a fatwa or something...

I like the idea about having a computer with quran and hadith software - I will definately take that advice.

Barak Allah feekum.

SirZubair
04-30-2007, 05:58 PM
In regards to getting someone with qualifications, I wouldn't even know where to look?
Yes you do. I pointed out a very well known man in Sydney, which, correct me if i am wrong, is where you are from. :)

:salamext:We know we can't answer any questions without any proof, so if we can't answer straight away we will come back with the answer the next week... or we'll have a computer nearby that is connected to the internet so we can look up a fatwa or something...
I would recommend having an actual teacher infront of you or even Closeby who you can ask questions, instead of hunting around for cyber fatwas.

- Qatada -
04-30-2007, 06:04 PM

Sis, how about listening to lectures together? I know it might seem abit.. but you would have a knowledgable person giving the lecture so you wouldn't be afraid that what you're saying is wrong.

Or are there any sisters who are students of knowledge and know arabic? Maybe you could try to contact some and see if they could join in and help you all inshaa Allaah.

Umu 'Isa
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Yes you do. I pointed out a very well known man in Sydney, which, correct me if i am wrong, is where you are from. :)
Okay..... we want someone from ahlus sunnah.. so please tell me where Afroz Ali got his qualifications? jazak Allah khair

SirZubair
05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Okay..... we want someone from ahlus sunnah.. so please tell me where Afroz Ali got his qualifications? jazak Allah khair
Why don't you contact him and find out for yourself? ;)

He is from Ahlus Sunnah. What makes you think he is not?

General Enquiries: info@alghazzali.org
Event Enquiries: event@alghazzali.org
Academy Enquiries: academydirector@alghazzali.org

He is a student of both Shaykh Abdullah bin Bayyah and Shaykh Hamza Yusuf.

And they are also of Ahlus Sunnah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.