/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam for Muslim Women

Takumi
08-07-2005, 04:46 AM
:sl:

I've been to many masajids and one common thing that I found is either the women area is so small as if saying, "you can come but you're not really welcomed" or there are not enough program for muslim women to educate themselves.

Education is fardh for both muslim men and women. Here and there, I here brothers complaining about muslim women not covering themselves properly. Maybe they don't know because no one's teaching them!

We should make the masajid more women friendly and better equipped for mothers who want to learn Islam. In the USA, it's not really a secret that some immigrants married local Americans for green card purposes and then left these sisters behind with their handiwork (children) and then marry their own people. How shameful!

So, these single mothers have no place to learn their deen and how frustrating it is to find out that masjid are built mainly for the men to hand out.

If I had my way, I would make the women area double the size of the men's area or same size. Muslim men must realize that muslim women are their partners in Islam NOT subordinates.

No, I'm not talking about muslim women leading jum'ah or that progressive muslim trash, I'm talking about giving muslim women their rigth to be educated and welcomed to the masjid.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SalafiFemaleJih
08-07-2005, 05:00 AM
Asalamualaikum wr wb,

well I agree with you there, but Akhi I live in a place where masha'Allah they have good sister area at the mosque...and they have lot of activities for them....and they tryna educated muslim sisters. I'm glad to live in a place where our mosque play important role in our lives Allahmdulillah.

yeah, I know dat there are places where we have really small room for prayers and girls don really get islamic education cuz few mens who are muslim themselves think dat education for girls iz not important...but they know not. They think all we gotta do is look after kids, cook food, do they laundry....blah blah.

I have seen sooooooooo many muslim youth camps for GUYS ONLY. Like a week ago i was lookin for a youth came for me and my cousins....I can't find a single one....all I see is muslim youth camp for guys....not girls.

well insha'Allah I hope it gets better.

wasalamualaikum wr wb.

Takumi
08-07-2005, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SalafiFemaleJih
Asalamualaikum wr wb,

well insha'Allah I hope it gets better.

wasalamualaikum wr wb.
come on, you sincerely think so? things will not get better unless the sisters talk to the administrator of the masjid and tell them that they should fear Allah!!

All these decisions to build masajid with tiny places for women are cultural garbage brought by the immigrants. Sadly, these treatment of women are witnessed by younger generation who wil then perpetuate the vicious cycle.

Muslim women who are working as professionals who earn a lot of money must keep their money for this purpose. Come together and make a center for women where they can learn about the deen. Do you know that your husband MAY NOT touch a dime of your hard earned money? You're only sharing your wealth because you love him and you want to help him but you may keep your income.

I've had enough of these muslim women being treated like 2nd class citizens. The worse part is, some women DO BELIEVE that they're second class. The hijab clad servant of Allah has the same right to education as the bearded guy!

If women are educated in the deen, the household will be peaceful and filled with tarbiyya. Instead of letting the TV to babysit, she wil be creative in bringing up the child rather than watching TV or shopping at the mall.

These men have no idea how to raise their kids and they let their women rot in darkness.

SalafiFemaleJih
08-07-2005, 05:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by takumi
come on, you sincerely think so? things will not get better unless the sisters talk to the administrator of the masjid and tell them that they should fear Allah!!

All these decisions to build masajid with tiny places for women are cultural garbage brought by the immigrants. Sadly, these treatment of women are witnessed by younger generation who wil then perpetuate the vicious cycle.

Muslim women who are working as professionals who earn a lot of money must keep their money for this purpose. Come together and make a center for women where they can learn about the deen. Do you know that your husband MAY NOT touch a dime of your hard earned money? You're only sharing your wealth because you love him and you want to help him but you may keep your income.

I've had enough of these muslim women being treated like 2nd class citizens. The worse part is, some women DO BELIEVE that they're second class. The hijab clad servant of Allah has the same right to education as the bearded guy!

If women are educated in the deen, the household will be peaceful and filled with tarbiyya. Instead of letting the TV to babysit, she wil be creative in bringing up the child rather than watching TV or shopping at the mall.

These men have no idea how to raise their kids and they let their women rot in darkness.
akhi, not everyone thinks like you : ) I can raise my voice....but I can't change peoples thinking...their attitudes.

well jazakAllah kher for reminding me...I should really talk to administrator of the masjid...about few things. Problem is dat they don really listen to us. Its just waste of time.

ahh im in hurry have to pray witr. brb.

waslamualaikum wr wb.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Takumi
08-07-2005, 05:36 AM
I would like to call all brothers who have the conscience that sisters are our partners in Islam to voice our opinion to masajid builders who waste money on calligraphy and chandeliers instead of education of women and young people.

These masajid builders shoud fear Allah and take down those wasted calligraphy and chandeliers and sell them so that they can build an extension to the masjid. The sisters deserve more than a tiny, stinky place to worship Allah.

Invest money on a good qualified ustazaah or the teacher of the Quran so that the women will not miss out on the ajr of reading Al Quran.

when ramadhan comes, stop asking your wives to cook fancy food and encourage her to increase her worship. You spoiled baby, why do you always want your wife to pamper you with her cooking? do you think this fancy food's gonna save you from the hell fire??

NO, the dua and worship in the first 10 days of Ramadan will!! Sigh..

Ummu Amatullah
08-07-2005, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by takumi
come on, you sincerely think so? things will not get better unless the sisters talk to the administrator of the masjid and tell them that they should fear Allah!
:brother:Thanks for caring about us sisters.You said,"Unless we talk to the administrator." ;D ;D that's how we sisters in the Abu Bakr Youth Division somehow convinced the big sheiks to train us that way we could teach other females and not get the males to teach mostly because some sisters are really shy :-[ .Plus males teaching sisters that are the same in age as them.Well, any thing could happen from there so,inshallah before that happens let's just pray that more sisters start teaching.Sisters i'll tell you right now it's not really easy learning almost everything in less then a month ,but if you dedicate your self to it no doubt you'll succeed. ;).Thanks :brother: for everything and welcome to LI.Hope you enjoy your stay here.At least I know I wil.Looking forward to reading more of your posts.So,chop..chop get posting.
:w:

Takumi
08-07-2005, 12:33 PM
:sl: :D

Don't praise me yet. The easiest thing to do in this life is to be extreme in any divisions of Islam. The hardest is to be balanced in everything that we do.

We have some brothers who are totally against sisters learning or even coming to the masjid, on the other hand we have some brothers who enjoy having the sisters coming to the masjid, until the masjid becomes a social club! These brothers are worse. They don't have any respect at all. They go around and chit chat with a sister for no apparent or shareeatic reason. Some "religious" brothers, lower down their gaze when they're talking to a full hijab sister but laugh and smile and crack jokes and far from lowering down their gazes to the women vendor at the mall or their colleagues at their work places. That's totally messed up.

The crux of the issue is two folds. #1, the brothers must change. They must look at the prophet as true example. Forget dwelling upon the beard man, you think if you keep the beard, you're halfway to jannah already? I've seen unbearded christians who are more considerate to their women than my own muslim brothers. Imagine this, one brother, left his wife in his car while he's in the masjid praying Zohr, in the SUMMER TIME. Wassup with that? With all those education program that the brothers are pigging out in the masjid and camps, they still think sisters are 2nd class? What are they teaching in these so called programs?

#2 the sisters have to change. The gotta stand up for their rights and look at Rosa Park, how she stood up for her rights for one lousy seat on a bus that we all take for granted. The wives of the prophet did not do what Rosa Park did because they didn't have to do it. The prophet and the companions gave them their rights VOLUNTARILY because that's the right thing to do. The hadeeth of solah, "salloo kama raitumooni usallee" was said in front of the men and women, hence we don't have special way for women to pray. We all pray the same way. That shows that the prophet was educating both men and women, with the propher seating arrangement, of course.

But some sisters want their rights so bad, that they trangress Allah's boundaries. See what I mean? going to the extreme. Keep your hijab, preserve your adab and look for knowledge everywhere. One thing we can learn from Amina Wadud is that SHE STOOD FOR HER RIGHTS, even though what she believed was her rights, was messed up.

If we can't have Umm Salamah or Aishah, that's fine (why not??), but at least we must have muslim women who are knowledgable and will continue the process of tarbiya of this ummah.

Peace.

Ummu Amatullah
08-07-2005, 01:05 PM
mashallah :brother: nicely done :thumbs_up .They teach the norm.like 1) hadiths then tell us to differentiate between which one is Saheeh and which one is Daqeef by giving some daleel to why we think this and that2.)Learning the Quran it's translation.Learning when it was revealed and why it was reveiled and on which person's words or actions was a verse reveiled for ex.In verses 1-4 in suratul Mujadilah it's talking about Allah hearing the argument between Prophet Muhammad(S.W.S) and Khawlah bint Tha'labah when she was complaining about her husband Aws ibn Al-Samit.
5.)Learn biographies of prominent Islamic figures.Alhamdullilah this forum helps me with that part.Including some prophets.and many more things I only named the main ones which we will be tested on.I have to agree with you on the religious guys acting like Mr.goody goody and yet when he sees a women.Faster then a blink of an eye he's by her side.Subhannalh.I never thought that a man that's associated and very attached to the masjid would hit on a sis.Especially some sheiks in the U.S.If a sheik does that just imagine what other men would do. :omg: :omg:

um mohamed
09-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Salam

I live in an area that is largley asian the area in the mosque for sisters is very small and at times does not have a good enough sound system so on Jumah you rarely hear the hutbah and then there is the negotiating of getting out of the mosque as all the bothers are hanging around the area talking and you want to try and get through without having to speak to them they should be encouraged that the sisters want to come and learn after all who is it who looks after the children if the mother has no knowledge how will she teach her chilkdre about Islam and prayer and everything else taht a Muslim should know it is too late when that child has grown up and then does not want to learn or cannot learn the best years for a child to learn is the first 5 years of there lives and as muslims this is our duty as parents and servents of Allah (SWT).

Zuko
09-03-2005, 03:29 PM
salaam,

has anyone besides me realized, that brother takumi is the only brother on this site posting on this subject? shame....

salaam

um mohamed
09-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Salam

Alhumdullah that the brother is speaking for us sisters but we need them to get it across to the committies in the Mosque if you look at some of the muslims who were born muslim and been brought up muslim there children now are not practising why because there women were not encouraged to participate in Islamic teachings there are some who are MachAllah but they are few and far between I look at this as a revert learning about Islam was learnt Al humdullah from my husband and books as I found going to the local Mosque a complete let down if you wanted information or sisters circles you have to go to main city mosques which is not easy sometimes. As a revert and a mother of 5 for me it is very important for the children to have all the teachings they need especially in this society that encourages you to be unislamic I look at Muslims who are born Muslim and see there children who have no idea about there Religion and I think it a great shame on them that because there mothers have not been educated enough the child grows up unIslamic and then this trend will continue for generations to come it is up to the Mosques to educate their community. Alhumdullah I have had many sisters tell me and other reverts that we practice Islam better than those born into Islam. As Muslims it is our responsability to educate ourselves and then we are able to educate the non Muslims to respect us a human beings not just "fundmentalists" or "terrorists" and prove to the world that we are educated people who respect ourselves as well as others. :wasalaam:

saf
09-03-2005, 04:30 PM
i see every ones point of view but cn i just ask where bouts is every one from who is posting ?

im frm lesta n allhumdullih great aulams in our city and there is loads going on for women in my area alone ie there tajweed clas for those older women who would like to correct ther quraan , we have monthly byaans for all women which takes place in urdu but there sum who trasalates it too plus we have byaans for the youth n not forgettingthe the 5 -14 yr olds too
allhumdullih alone in lesta there is bout 5 madrasa for alim/ alimah class out of which 2 are girls (5 is the only ones ive heard of dnt knw if there is more) only allah knows hw many madras there must be for girls n boys to pray and get a good knowlege of islam frm 5-7 in the evening as many are privet as well!

for those who live in lesta or who have cum to lesta would knw that nearly every street u turn here ther is madras/masjid. i walk to madras and the only thing i hear on the way is childer praying

my allah accept all the aulmas hard work all around the world and may islam strive to victory

i hope u all under stand my point there are things happing for women and other ages for the muslim community but its hard wen there is small minortys
or wen there ppl who have drifted away frm islam it takes tym to bring them bk on the right tracks

um mohamed
09-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Salam

I am from east London and the asian community seem to follow there culture rather than their religion which is a great shame as Muslims we should follow the Qur'an and teachings of the Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) Yes I agree it depends upon where you live or if there is a large conmmunit or not here there is a large Muslim community but as I said the majority follow their culture :wasalaam:

saf
09-03-2005, 05:02 PM
yeh i guess sumit should be done bout it a shame n lost of value of islam that they follow there culture
i hope sumit soon is done bout it my allah help all those who are trying to make a difference

what sorts of thingd have youor ppl in area tryed
doing??

um mohamed
09-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Salam

Not much done about it in this area cause no one can be bothered when you suggest something they look at you like you are from another plnaet or the fact that you are not asian you are an outsider so you try and find sisters who want to make adifference and you get together and do something for those who want to better themselves :wasalaam:

saf_musa
10-14-2005, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by saf
i see every ones point of view but cn i just ask where bouts is every one from who is posting ?

im frm lesta n allhumdullih great aulams in our city and there is loads going on for women in my area alone ie there tajweed clas for those older women who would like to correct ther quraan , we have monthly byaans for all women which takes place in urdu but there sum who trasalates it too plus we have byaans for the youth n not forgettingthe the 5 -14 yr olds too
allhumdullih alone in lesta there is bout 5 madrasa for alim/ alimah class out of which 2 are girls (5 is the only ones ive heard of dnt knw if there is more) only allah knows hw many madras there must be for girls n boys to pray and get a good knowlege of islam frm 5-7 in the evening as many are privet as well!

for those who live in lesta or who have cum to lesta would knw that nearly every street u turn here ther is madras/masjid. i walk to madras and the only thing i hear on the way is childer praying

my allah accept all the aulmas hard work all around the world and may islam strive to victory

i hope u all under stand my point there are things happing for women and other ages for the muslim community but its hard wen there is small minortys
or wen there ppl who have drifted away frm islam it takes tym to bring them bk on the right tracks

Masha allah i can say dat dis is tru 4 my area in lesta as well. we have a separate mosque 4 males nd females. there r chilsdren classes frm 5-7 where girls r taught to pray the quraan with full tajweed nd r taught hadiths nd other islamic facts dat shud b known. der r adult women classes where women r taught quraan. dey also teach u 2 pray da quraan wid meaning. masha allah the community is progressing very well

onemuslima
12-08-2005, 08:55 AM
salam
the problem with small masjed area for women is not only in the west it's also here in the gulf.actually in my neighbourhood they just started working on a womens prayer room! thank god they finally realized we need one.

Takumi
12-26-2005, 07:53 PM

Just the other day I was inspecting the new area of the masjid that I frequent to and I boldly asked the brother who was in charge, "why is the women's area so small?". Of course, being unpolitical he just does what he's instructed to.

I sympathize with my sisters in Islam. If I had the money, I'd construct an Islamic Center for Women Only. They will have nice classrooms, big prayer hall and a library for the women. MEN ARE NOT ALLOWED, except the imam or the muazzin of course and let me built a small prayer section behind the imam enough for maybe 10 brothers to pray so that the imam won't be all by himself. :)

Other than that, I believe, women should take control of their rights. Now these rights are foreign to women because they never really had the chance to LEARN! Because masajids never seem to cater khutbah for women or classes about women's right in Islam. Why should a WOMAN deliver classes on Muslim Women's Rights? Well, don't give me that SHE UNDERSTANDS women better psychobabble, we don't have WOMEN scholars because of MUSLIM MEN dominating academia in this injust so called ISLAMIC REVIVALISM.

This year's local Islamic School's fund raising dinner is a perfect example of why SELFISH men MUST NOT dominate the masjid. Since the dinner was held in a hotel, guess how many rooms they have reserved for prayers. ONE! yeah, numero uno!

And guess what, the sisters were left praying in the hallway! Man, I was so mad! Why were they treated that they had an infectious disease?

Look at the topics of national islamic conferences? Mostly, WOmen's rights workshops are attended by WOMEN. Hello???? Men must attend these lectures so that they will not abuse their women and will understand their rights.

I've been attending conferences for many years now, sadly to say, that male-chauvenistic-pig-ism still exists in this so called ISLAMIC conferences.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.