/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music with Quran

جوري
04-30-2007, 02:14 AM
I was riding in a taxi the other day and the driver was playing Music, I don't know the name of the group.. actually it was a female singer, I think it is a new age type album, she incorporated Quranic verses in the song... it infuriated me... what is upsetting me more, is I really don't know the name of the Album or the singer... it is new age type of music... it sounds like Sarah McLachlan but I know it wasn't one of her albums

I don't know how to compose the Question, but can someone help me locate this album or the name of the singer I am not sure how to refine my search to find it?... I don't think anyone is really even aware of this band? and if we can locate it, is it possible that we file a complain for them to take it off the market? is there some Muslim group that deals with this sort of thing? This is after all copy right infringements... and an outrage on so many different levels that I can't even begin to describe...
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yahia12
04-30-2007, 02:15 AM
Sami yusuf?

جوري
04-30-2007, 02:19 AM
No no NO NO nothing of the sort it is like Buddha bar type music with Quran recitation in its background... to give it eastern mystique? I don't know her (the singers) purpose for doing, but this isn't a nasheed or a hymn and even if it were it would be a disgrace... we need to find it and take it off the market... sue this woman ... something, I really don't know how to handle it or even begin to find it?

yahia12
04-30-2007, 02:23 AM
wallah i dont know. inshalla we find him/her. i thought it was sami yusuf but he dont use quran verses i think.

you tried to know wich radio station it was?then you can send them email what music they taped on air that time. Inshalla you find it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
04-30-2007, 02:25 AM
i have no idea what the answer to your question is because i never listen to either new age or popular music.
i am curious as to what angered you. was it the fact that qur'anic verses were used or was it what the rest of the song was promoting? or was it just that qur'anic verses were combined with music and you see that as a desecration in itself?
do you think the motivation was to slander islam?
did she sing the verses in arabic or from a specific translation? (if in arabic, i don't think copyright laws would apply).

جوري
04-30-2007, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serdar
wallah i dont know. inshalla we find him/her. i thought it was sami yusuf but he dont use quran verses i think.

you tried to know wich radio station it was?then you can send them email what music they taped on air that time. Inshalla you find it.
he was playing a CD.. I asked him who the singer was and he said it was a medley new age that he got from his friend.... I didn't extend the conversation beyond that...

yahia12
04-30-2007, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
he was playing a CD.. I asked him who the singer was and he said it was a medley new age that he got from his friend.... I didn't extend the conversation beyond that...
http://www.newagemusic.com/

:rollseyes there are so many many artists.. Maybe she might be found on that website inshalla.

جوري
04-30-2007, 02:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i have no idea what the answer to your question is because i never listen to either new age or popular music.
i am curious as to what angered you. was it the fact that qur'anic verses were used or was it what the rest of the song was promoting? or was it just that qur'anic verses were combined with music and you see that as a desecration in itself?
do you think the motivation was to slander islam?
did she sing the verses in arabic or from a specific translation? (if in arabic, i don't think copyright laws would apply).
She was singing, then she'd pause and Quran would come on in Arabic while her music is still in the background-- yes basically stolen the Quran to put in her song... I don't care for the song at all, I don't know her motivation?... to me it felt she was giving it some eastern mystique, The whole album had a new age feel to it-- and since her words had nothing to do with the Quranic verses, I don't believe it is meant as an insult... there was a total disconnect between her lyrics and the Quran anyhow, but it isn't the point.... I can't find an example to assimilate to you how horrible this is... Why wouldn't copy right laws apply?

snakelegs
04-30-2007, 02:34 AM
oh, ok - it was like turning the qur'an in to a commodity.(which we do with just about anything), using it for commercial purposes.
i am no legal expert, but i'm pretty sure the qur'an would be in the public domain.
hope you manage to track it down.

جوري
04-30-2007, 02:38 AM
I don't think I will... I don't even know how to begin looking?... I typed on google and got some untoward links as usual... nothing to do with her or her lyrics... I don't know how to combat all the ills of the world?... but singing the Quran is a very bad thing... It is just really bad!.. I pray to Allah someone manages to do something about it...
this is the poorest form of Iman, that I only write about it... but it is all I can do!

Abdul Fattah
04-30-2007, 02:41 AM
I realise this is to late now, and doesn't really help you, but why didn't you just ask the cabbie which song was playing, or was it on the radio? If it was on the radio, which channel? Maybe you can contact them to find out?

Oh copy rights don't apply because no human has ever gone to a patent office to request copyrights for it. And bureaucracy probably wouldn't accept Allah subhana wa ta'ala as author. Furthermore, copyrights only apply for a limited period of times, so like the copyrights on a book written last century have expired and it's free for everyone to use.

yahia12
04-30-2007, 02:41 AM
it was on CD !!! :D

جوري
04-30-2007, 02:42 AM
I did... see my above reply...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.