/* */

PDA

View Full Version : People at Jummah dont like me

michaelconvert
05-01-2007, 04:09 AM
So ive been going to Friday prayer as much as possible. Like on senior skip day and every other time i can get out of school.........which isnt often. Last time i went i felt really uncomfortable. Most times i looked back someone would be starring at me. When i was leaving the prayer room and i had to pass in between people they looked totally mad at me. It didnt help that i accidentally walking in front of a guy doing Ruku. I know a few people at the Mosque now and i love to go there on like Friday nights when there are a lot less people. I dont know if im just imagining the Jummah anger at me ........... or if a lot of the brothers there just dont like me. Maybe its because im the only white person in the room? I know very well that Islam denounces racism but i think that could be it. Its just hard to go to Jummah now.................however i know i should. Girls are lucky.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by michaelconvert
So ive been going to Friday prayer as much as possible. Like on senior skip day and every other time i can get out of school.........which isnt often. Last time i went i felt really uncomfortable. Most times i looked back someone would be starring at me. When i was leaving the prayer room and i had to pass in between people they looked totally mad at me. It didnt help that i accidentally walking in front of a guy doing Ruku. I know a few people at the Mosque now and i love to go there on like Friday nights when there are a lot less people. I dont know if im just imagining the Jummah anger at me ........... or if a lot of the brothers there just dont like me. Maybe its because im the only white person in the room? I know very well that Islam denounces racism but i think that could be it. Its just hard to go to Jummah now.................however i know i should. Girls are lucky.
I know the feeling kind of, but the thing is that one or two people maybe upset at something but then we, like me and u, end up thinking everyone is.

For example, you ever been on a bus or something and just had loads on your mind and you stare in a direction just thinking, then the bus stops at a red light or maybe someone gets on and they happen to sit where you are looking and they think 'Whats this guy looking at' lol. I think alot of the time when we have a bad experience, we end up looking negitevly at things. so for example, you nearly walked through someone doing ruku, one or two brothers may end up think 'Whats this guy doing' and instead of being patient with you they might get angry, then whenever u see anyone for example lookin in a direction u happen to be and they stare, although they might just be thinking about the sins they done or something, you think 'Oh man he dont like me, I can tell by his eyes ' see what I mean?

Don't give up bro, trust, as long as you keep trying then your aite with Allah. Insha'Allah.

siFilam
05-01-2007, 12:53 PM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

:salamext:

Brother, May Allah make it easy for you, you’re up against a severe disease that weakened our Ummah. But don't stop going to the Jummah b/c of the people. There will be more difficult moments in your life as a Muslim. You must learn to deal with these accordingly for the sake of pleasing Allah. Every obstacle, regardless of its gravity, is a way to improve our self.
Represent your self with the Sunnah of Beloved Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him), the way he interacted with his companions, his noble manners etc. and be patient. everything takes time. Insha-Allah the people will eventually love you. make Du'a cause Allah is our only Helper.
If all fails, change Masjid. But that should be the last option since attending the Friday prayer is a must.

Wasalam
-SI-

skhalid
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Girls are lucky.
it depends...just because we don't always pray Jumaah at mosque...but others do...if its a matter of racism then I would probably say it depends what type of mosque you attend to..by this I mean if its an asian, black , both ...it takes time for many muslims to accept or get use to muslims who are white....but they should be proud that other ethinicities are muslims...I mean to tell you the truth I am a black/arabian muslim...and not to be mean or racist or anything but many other asian muslims say that black people should be christians not muslims...and I was like :raging: I know that many black people are christians but Islam did get all around the world ...so muslims are of different ethnicity...I suppose you have to look up at them and hold your head up high...you have nothing to be ashamed of...your a muslim..what more do they want??!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tomtomsmom
05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Perhaps it isn't so much they don't like you as they don't trust you. If you are the only "white" person there they might not think your intentions are good. You said you have a few friends there. You should have them introduce you to the other brothers and tell them your story. Let them know that your heart is in the right place. They will start to warm up to you after they know that. Good luck to you in all that you do brother!

Abdul Fattah
05-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Selam aleykum Michael,
I remember the first mosque I went to there were two or three guys staring to. And I felt really uncomfortable due to that. But afterwards I thought maybe they were just curious. You know, a lot of people appear to have an angry face when it's really their default face. And shaytan is quick to whisper feelings of distrust among each other, but I would advise you to just smile at them and say selam aleykum. InshaAllah they shall reply wa aleykum selam.
If you keep that up for a while, inshaAllah they will recognize you next time as "that friendly stranger" and smile when they see you. At least, I found that this worked for me. Who knows, maybe these guys think the exact same thing off you, and mistakenly interpreted your discomfort as being agitation. so brother be patient inshaAllah, and always respond with a smile to your brothers in Islam.

Snowflake
05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I dunno if this will help you see things from a different perspective, but if I (asian muslim) were to see a white muslim amongst asians, I'd be looking at them out of awe and wonder. I'd be thinking, I wonder what lead them to believe, what inspired them etc etc.. And most of all I'd be wanting to talk to them and ask how they came to revert. I dunno if it's good or bad, but I find white muslims fascinating. So hopefully, like me some people simply stare in awe. :)

P.S. Another reason is that in times when so many born muslims are 'lost' I can't help but stare at white muslims and think, "SubhanAllah, you came to the right Path when you wasn't even born a muslim." It's wicked!

Hemoo
05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
and always remember that you get a reward from Allah when you smile in the face of your brothers in islam as it is mentioned in the hadith in Sunan Tirmidhi.

and also read this hadith :

in Sahih Muslim in the book of Faith:

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessing be upon him) observed: You shall not enter Paradise so long as you do not affirm belief (in all those things which are the articles of faith) and you will not believe as long as you do not love one another. Should I not direct you to a thing which, if you do, will foster love amongst you: (i.e.) give currency to (the practice of paying salutation to one another by saying) as-salamu alaikum.

Al-Zaara
05-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Asselamu aleykum,

I've been through that too, and I'm born Muslim. I'm Albanian and in my mosque most Muslims are Somalians, Arabs and Kurds. Hehe. We Albanians and some Bosnians are "white" compared to them.
I've had especially Somalian women, older women, stare at me all the time whenever I entered the mosque, not just Jummah. They looked at me as I had just killed someone or as if they've never seen a human being before, subhanAllah! :-[

After a while I didn't care much and became more social with the other Muslims, so in the end it's all cool, alhamdulillah. I guess they were curious... But Somalian women still don't talk to me much. loq :D I've tried my best to talk, but those in there find most Albanians annoying I've been told. Just my luck. :exhausted But the younger generation, like 5 year-olds, accept me happily. :D:D

You just gotta take it in, inshaAllah, things will change to the better with time.

Umar001
05-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Yea I forgot the white revert look,
I do admit sometimes I do just look at white reverts and think WOW MashaAllah.

I think its just being so happy sometimes.

Al-Zaara
05-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh! I too look at white reverts and think "MashaAllah! I wanna talk to them..." and when I do so I go and speak to them or say Selam. Usually the sisters jump in surprise, loq. :D I think they I'm scary... But at least I'm doing an action of my thoughts. :D Sometimes "born Muslims" come to me and ask "What was her name??". Hehe.

InToTheRain
05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
:sl:

I feel for you bro, and Insha-allah may your resolve be strengthend at the face of difficulty.

This may not comfort you, but some of the best people were hated the most. For example a brother was telling me this a companion of Imam Abu Hanifa(RA) saw him in a dream once after he passed away, so he asked him something to this affect:

comapnion: "where are you"
Hanifa(RA)L "I am in the highest Jannah"
Companion: "It must be because of how you helped educate the Ummah"
Hanifah(RA): "No it is not because of that, as you know giving Fatwa has many dangers."
Companion: "So how did you get there?"
Hanifah(RA): "Its is because of all the people who have backbited me"

When someone backbites you, Allah(SWT) will take their good deeds and give it to you as compensation, and if they have none Allah(SWT) will take your bad deeds and give it to them instead.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
I dunno if this will help you see things from a different perspective, but if I (asian muslim) were to see a white muslim amongst asians, I'd be looking at them out of awe and wonder. I'd be thinking, I wonder what lead them to believe, what inspired them etc etc.. And most of all I'd be wanting to talk to them and ask how they came to revert. I dunno if it's good or bad, but I find white muslims fascinating. So hopefully, like me some people simply stare in awe. :)

P.S. Another reason is that in times when so many born muslims are 'lost' I can't help but stare at white muslims and think, "SubhanAllah, you came to the right Path when you wasn't even born a muslim." It's wicked!
Yeah I agree, when I see a white revert I'm alway like Masha'Allah, makes me really happy how the bro has accepted Islam as a way of life even though there is soo much negativity towards Islam. I still haven't made a friend with a revert :(

People will always stare, if some stare at you just make eye contact, smile :) and give salam...dont do this :raging: or :rollseyes , try not to walk in front of anyone whilst they're reading namaaz.

I dont know if this is true but reverts maybe able to answer, do you feel as if 'some' born Muslims act superior jus becuse they're born as Muslims?

Abdul Fattah
05-01-2007, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
I dont know if this is true but reverts maybe able to answer, do you feel as if 'some' born Muslims act superior jus becuse they're born as Muslims?
Well sadly sometimes, when I give advice to brothers that they dislike I get this: "you're-only-muslim-for-two-years-so-don't-explain-Islam-to-me-attitude"
Luckely such things occur only rarely

aadil77
05-01-2007, 09:07 PM
:sl:

Hope this helps, when ever I see a white or black revert I feel happy for them because its great to see that that mosque doesn't just consist of asians, there should be a multicultural tolerance in your mosque.

Also just as a suggestion try to avoid wearing distinctive clothes, such as t-shirts with e.g. 2pac on the back, and avoid having 'funky' hairstyles or peircings, these may not look good in a mosque.

Aadil:thumbs_up

Md Mashud
05-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Truthfully, I don't know why anyone would be angry. When I see other races in the jummah, I am happy - it shows the message is spreading. Somtimes, it can be paranoia though making that happen - Did you consider that? Or are you firm that they have somthing against you?

Rhubarb Tart
05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I've had especially Somalian women, older women, stare at me all the time whenever I entered the mosque, not just Jummah. They looked at me as I had just killed someone or as if they've never seen a human being before, subhanAllah!
LOL somalian older women r often like that, forget towards you but also to their own youth. lol truth me dont take it to heart. Dont ask me why? Cos i dnt really know but its a culture thing i guess, to stare at people lol.

noahs_arc
05-02-2007, 09:22 AM
ignore them. you going there to pray not to please them. wasalam

michaelconvert
05-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Good ideas thanks............
They certainly wernt happy with me.
But i do remember my second visit to the masjid when my friend and I wernt taken in front of all the brothers after Isha and one brother introduced us and all the brothers came up and were shaking our hands, hugging, and kissing us(kinda on the cheek which i totally wasnt use to). I understand that people are sometimes just conditioned to racism and to an extent its not their fault. Im kinda sad ...........when i wear my kufi out people just ask me if im Jewish.lol. Totally not a yarmulke.

michaelconvert
05-03-2007, 04:30 AM
i mean were taken not wernt sry

Hashim_507
05-03-2007, 04:44 AM
Be patience; patience is the key to overcome those problem. Start comunicating to the muslim brothers. No matter what; never give up going to the masjid. Your Going to the masjid for the sake of Allah only. If this is a big problem thats bothering you, please addressed it. Do not be silance or isolating yourself.

ibrarfaiz
05-03-2007, 05:48 AM
I live in east london, my local mosque is busy on Jummah

And beleive me there are many white and black converts coming into the mosque i find people treat them with more respect for converting although they receive one or two glances from others probably not because they are angry but because they look up to you converting into Islam. However, yes converts do receive more attention whether it be negative or positive but it is down to the acceptance of others, i personally love converts but no more than muslims themselves everyone is equal. After some time our mosques will be half filled with converts then gradually it may be you looking at us in a strange way :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.