/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Crying

HIJABI***
05-01-2007, 09:45 AM
:sl:
i just wanted to ask when a close family member passes away is it haraam to cry???????
coz i thowt it was just wailing and sum1 told me that u shudnt really cry coz its haraam but at such a time u cant help bt cry!!!
jazakhallah:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
05-01-2007, 09:46 AM
assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

there are many examples where the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam cried, when his sons died, when his daughters died, when his uncle died, when his wife died. he mourned them.

it is allowed, but wailing/ripping shirts and beating yourself as was the custom and still is in some parts is indeed haram.

i hope this helped

HIJABI***
05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
jazakhallah brother so i take it crying is not haraam!!!!!
yeh i knew that wailing is:D

mizan_aliashraf
05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Salam
No, it is not haraam to cry when a close family member (or even a distant family member or any other muslim) passes away. It is only natural that one will feel sorrow and grief that their beloved has passed away and will no longer be with them. However, one should remember that death is from Allah and death comes to a person at an appointed time. We will all die. It is forbidden to wail loudly (cry loudly attracting attention) as this is seen as a act of jahiliyya. The prophet (saw) said "My Ummah will not leave 3 things: Astrology, Boasting of one's geneology and wailing".
And Allah knows best.
Wassalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.