/* */

PDA

View Full Version : BSL (British Sign Language)

FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 08:17 PM
:sl:

What is Sign Language? <<Home

Sign Language is a visual means of communicating using gestures, facial expression, and body language. Sign Language is used mainly by Deaf people and people with hearing difficulties.

British Sign Language
Within Britain the most common form of Sign Language is called British Sign Language (BSL). BSL has it's own grammatical structure and syntax, as a language it is not dependant nor is it strongly related to spoken English. BSL is the preferred language of between 50,000 - 70,000 people within the UK.

Sign Supported English
Another form of sign language used in Britain is known as Sign Supported English (SSE). SSE is not a language in itself. SSE uses the same signs as BSL but they are used in the same order as spoken English. SSE is a less efficient form of communication than BSL but is useful when used within schools where Deaf children are having to learn English grammar along side their signing, or by people who mix mainly with hearing people.

Is Sign Language Universal?
Many hearing people have the false impression that Sign Language is a worldwide universal language, but this however is far from the truth. Because of the isolated nature of Sign Language there is even significant variation from city to city within Britain, this is known as regional variation and can be thought of as being similar to regional accents found in spoken languages. Other countries have their own sign language, many of which are completely unrelated to BSL.

BSL - A Recognised Language
After a big campaign BSL was finally recognised by the UK government as an official minority language in 2003. This has lead to increased funding for the needs of Deaf people's communication, and an increased awareness of the language which now has a similar status to that of Gaelic and Welsh.

I just wonder if you can take to look what BSL look like! :)

http://www.british-sign.co.uk/learnb...2handedbsl.htm

http://www.british-sign.co.uk/learnb...inggamebsl.htm

http://www.british-sign.co.uk/learnb...ellmachine.htm

http://www.british-sign.co.uk/learnb...gnlanguage.htm

:w:

Fi amani Allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
05-02-2007, 08:24 PM
salamualikum.
:cry:

subhnallah!, i got a friend of mine who signs and it's very hard for me to understand but alhmdulillah am used to it now but it's very hard for him to participate because at times he can't get the message across us and we get the wrong idea and so does he. He gets offeded really quickly because he struggles :(

Ya Allah help him && everyone who have disability issues! :cry: amin thumma amin ya rabbil alameen

Ma'assalama

FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 08:28 PM

The link as I have posted..it can bit help you to communicate to him, InshAllah!

As well, I think you don't know about my personality..that I am deaf person..

If any problems, InshAllah I can help you about signing..
:)

Fi Amani Allah

Kittygyal
05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady

The link as I have posted..it can bit help you to communicate to him, InshAllah!

As well, I think you don't know about my personality..that I am deaf person..

If any problems, InshAllah I can help you about signing..

Fi Amani Allah
slaamualikum.
Walahi! i am sooo proud of you ya ukthi!! subhnallah!!

i know you are deaf but you need to realise i love you loads!! subhnallah i am crying now sat here because i am just soo... :cry: :)

ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I know the (British) sign langauge alphabet! :D

Good done..Bro! Do you know any of signs? :)

FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
slaamualikum.
Walahi! i am sooo proud of you ya ukthi!! subhnallah!!

i know you are deaf but you need to realise i love you loads!! subhnallah i am crying now sat here because i am just soo... :cry: :)

ma'assalama

Aww, sister! Same as back to you! :D

Here your tissues! :-[

Love you loads too...for sake of Allah Ta'ala! :)

Kittygyal
05-02-2007, 08:40 PM

Aww, sister! Same as back to you! :D

Here your tissues! :-[

Love you loads too...for sake of Allah Ta'ala! :)

salamualikum.
chin up hun be proud of what you are. Keep strong and just keep on striving for Taqwa :)
Ma'assalama

psst: i'll stick with me own pink tissues thank you anyway lol

FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
chin up hun be proud of what you are. Keep strong and just keep on striving for Taqwa :)
Ma'assalama

psst: i'll stick with me own pink tissues thank you anyway lol

Ok, hun! I am willing to do it and you do as well! :D

Is it nice pinkie tissues? :okay:

Fi Amani Allah

FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I learnt the alphabet because I went to a primary school which mainly focused on children with special needs. I did know some of the signs, but it's been such a long time since then that I've forgotten them now :X

Alhumdilillah! Tut tut..you need to back to learning it again! :p

Learning BSL is not that hard!

Fi Amani Allah

Kittygyal
05-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Ok, hun! I am willing to do it and you do as well! :D

Is it nice pinkie tissues? :okay:

Fi Amani Allah
salamualikum.
Yap indeed ma pink napkins are nice
ma'assalama

Woodrow
05-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I will agree that BSL is not a Universal Language, However I have found that there are many common signs between various languages and that the letters for finger spelling are close to being universal. I have found that deaf people from around the world tend to communicate better, than people with verbal language differences. Here we use ASL My cousins went to ASD in Hartford Connecticut. There were many students from around the world there. Back in the 1940s there were very few Schools for the Deaf. What was interesting was seeing the differences in signing, what was more remarkable was how rapid the kids picked up each other's signs. At that time the ones most difficult to understand were the students from France.

Perhaps we may be able to impose on you to start a signing thread in the Languages section.

FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I will agree that BSL is not a Universal Language, However I have found that there are many common signs between various languages and that the letters for finger spelling are close to being universal. I have found that deaf people from around the world tend to communicate better, than people with verbal language differences. Here we use ASL My cousins went to ASD in Hartford Connecticut. There were many students from around the world there. Back in the 1940s there were very few Schools for the Deaf. What was interesting was seeing the differences in signing, what was more remarkable was how rapid the kids picked up each other's signs. At that time the ones most difficult to understand were the students from France.

Perhaps we may be able to impose on you to start a signing thread in the Languages section.

You are right, Bro Wood!

You can take to look this link:
http://members.aol.com/deafcultureinfo/deaf_history.htm

Fi Amani Allah

Eric H
05-02-2007, 09:18 PM
greetings and peace be with you RighteousLady;

It must be a very strange world being deaf; but I am sure you cope very well with life, can you hear anything at all.

I have a friend who has been both deaf and mute from birth, he is now 72. I have been going on holiday with him for the past five years and next week we are both going to Germany for a week. We use Makaton as a sign language, we were never taught BSL.

Take care

Eric

FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 09:23 PM

Greeting to you Eric..

I can hear something too loud like bang or trains passing by..too loud music thats what I can only hear!

You can take look some of links as I have been posted..

Peace and greetings..

FatimaAsSideqah
05-02-2007, 09:31 PM

Some of links that I will post..it can help you to learning of signs by pictures.

http://www.deafbooks.co.uk/downloads...vocabulary.pdf

http://www.deafbooks.co.uk/downloads...odeafbooks.pdf

http://www.deafbooks.co.uk/downloads...rdeafbooks.pdf

http://www.deafbooks.co.uk/downloads...2deafbooks.pdf

Fi Amani Allah

Eric H
05-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Greetings and peace be with you RighteousLady; and thanks for the links.

Have you always been deaf, can you hear people speaking at all, and do you use a hearing aid? How did you learn to read and write so well? Sorry about all the questions but I am also trying to understand a little more of what my friend is going through, he uses a fairly small range of signs and only writes some key words.

Take care

Eric

FatimaAsSideqah
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you RighteousLady; and thanks for the links.

Have you always been deaf, can you hear people speaking at all, and do you use a hearing aid? How did you learn to read and write so well? Sorry about all the questions but I am also trying to understand a little more of what my friend is going through, he uses a fairly small range of signs and only writes some key words.

Take care

Eric
Greetings Eric,

Yes I've always deaf since when I am born, I cannot hear any people to speaking at all but when use the hearing aids yes I can hearing them to talk..

My school by all my childhood did taught me how to read and write and also I've always loving to read and been all times to writing..

No problem, Eric! I don't mind about your questions because I have do it for deaf peoples! :)

Peace.

'Abd al-Baari
05-04-2007, 10:11 AM

Jazakallah for the links sis RighteousLady
i've always wanted to learn sign language because my cousin has down's syndrome and she can't talk/hear properly and uses sign language
Inshallah i'm gonna give it a go now :)

FatimaAsSideqah
05-04-2007, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907

Jazakallah for the links sis RighteousLady
i've always wanted to learn sign language because my cousin has down's syndrome and she can't talk/hear properly and uses sign language
Inshallah i'm gonna give it a go now :)

MashAllah! No problem, bro..you will be enjoying it to learning new things for you, InshAllah!

Fi Amani Allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.