/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do we worship the same God?

August
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone! I've never posted here before, but I'm looking to settle a debate with some friends of mine. Do Muslims believe that Christians and Jews worship the same God you do? My friends say that Allah is not the same God we Christians worship, I say that he is. Who do you think is right?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-03-2007, 01:27 AM
we worship the monotheistic God(swt) who created the Heavens and the Earth and all that is within and without.

The God(swt) who has revealed Himself to Adam(PBUH, Moses(PBUH) JESUS(as) Muhammad(PBUH) and all of the Prophets(PBUH).

If that is the God(swt) Christians worship, then they do worship the same God(swt) we do.

Eric H
05-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Greetings and peace be with you August, and welcome to the forum.

Irrespective as to what any of us might believe the same God hears the prayers of Muslims, Christians, Hindu Sikh and Jews.

We may have tunnel vision, but I am confident that God has the ability to understand the intentions behind the prayers in all languages and from people of all faiths.

God has to be more just and forgiving than we are, he will know how we came by our faith and how we each live our lives.

In the spirit of praying to one God,

Eric

siFilam
05-03-2007, 01:56 AM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

:salamext:
and greetings

August, welcome to the forum.

To add to what brother Woodrow already posted:

Some of the biggest misconceptions that many non-Muslims have about Islam have to do with the word "Allah". Many people have come to believe that Muslims worship a different God than Christians and Jews.
This is totally false
Allah (God)

Islam is the complete submission and obedience to Allah (God). The name Allah (God) in Islam never refers to Muhammad (peace be upon him), as many Christians may think; Allah is the personal name of God.

What do Muslims believe about Allah?

1. He is the one God, Who has no partner.

2. Nothing is like Him. He is the Creator, not created, nor a part of His creation.

3. He is All-Powerful, absolutely Just.

4. There is no other entity in the entire universe worthy of worship besides Him.

5. He is First, Last, and Everlasting; He was when nothing was, and will be when nothing else remains.

6. He is the All-Knowing, and All-Merciful,the Supreme, the Sovereign.

7. It is only He Who is capable of granting life to anything.

8. He sent His Messengers (peace be upon them) to guide all of mankind.

9. He sent Muhammad (peace be upon him) as the last Prophet and Messenger for all mankind.

10. His book is the Holy Qur'an, the only authentic revealed book in the world that has been kept without change.

11. Allah knows what is in our hearts.

These are some of the basic guidelines Muslims follow in their knowledge of God:

1. Eliminate any anthropomorphism (human qualities) from their conception of Allah. His attributes are not like human attributes, despite similar labels or appellations.

2. Have unwavering faith in exactly what Allah and Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) described Allah to be, no more, no less.

3. Eradicate any hope or desire of learning or knowing the modality of His names and attributes.

4. Believe totally in all the names and attributes of Allah; one cannot believe in some and disbelieve the others.

5. One cannot accept the names of Allah without their associated attributes, i.e. one cannot say He is Al-Hayy - 'The Living' and then say that He is without life.

6. Similarity in names (or meanings) does not imply similarity in what is being described (referents). As a robotics arm differs from a human arm, so the "hand" of Allah is nothing like a human hand, His speech is nothing like human speech, etc.

7. Certain words are ambiguous or vague in their meanings, and thus may be susceptible to misinterpretation. Only those meanings that are in accordance with what is specified by Allah and His Prophet (peace be upon him) are acceptable.
http://www.beconvinced.com/en/articl...ted%20Articles

I hope this helps. feel free to ask more questions.

wasalam
-SI-

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ibrarfaiz
05-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Yes it is true Jewish and Christian people do worship the same god as muslims. However what changes us is this:

Allah sent the last prophet down to guide Christians and Jews to the right path because they mistook Jesus to be the son of god and Jews had changed the religion too much. Despite some facts of thinking Jesus is the son of god where we think he is a prophet and the new changed versions of the Taurah (jewish book) the god still remains the same. Which does have a strong connection with these three religions

Amadeus85
05-03-2007, 11:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
we worship the monotheistic God(swt) who created the Heavens and the Earth and all that is within and without.

The God(swt) who has revealed Himself to Adam(PBUH, Moses(PBUH) JESUS(as) Muhammad(PBUH) and all of the Prophets(PBUH).

If that is the God(swt) Christians worship, then they do worship the same God(swt) we do.
Christian God never revealed Himself to Muhammad, so i guess that we don't believe in the same God.

Keltoi
05-03-2007, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Christian God never revealed Himself to Muhammad, so i guess that we don't believe in the same God.
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. Jews, Christians, and Muslims worship the same God. That is why all three religions have such a hard time getting along, because all three believe they know the right way to worship or pray to God. If all three religions were completely different and focused on a different God than the other, I have a feeling we wouldn't be having these problems today in the religious sense.

Woodrow
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. Jews, Christians, and Muslims worship the same God. That is why all three religions have such a hard time getting along, because all three believe they know the right way to worship or pray to God. If all three religions were completely different and focused on a different God than the other, I have a feeling we wouldn't be having these problems today in the religious sense.
That is very true. It is because we do worship the same God(swt) and are so similar we have so much trouble understanding each other.

Because of our similarities when, any of us differ, we see that one as being blasphemous etc. the slight differences bring out major concerns and often anger.

All of us are guilty of that. It is a hard thing to control.

August
05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
That is very true. It is because we do worship the same God(swt) and are so similar we have so much trouble understanding each other.

Because of our similarities when, any of us differ, we see that one as being blasphemous etc. the slight differences bring out major concerns and often anger.

All of us are guilty of that. It is a hard thing to control.
True. It sometimes seems like the closer a religion is to your own, the more bitter the disputes are. I'm a Catholic Christian, and the most angry debates I have ever been involved in were between Protestants and Catholics. And we're in the same religion! And yet we can talk to a buddhist or an atheist quite civilly.

- Qatada -
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Hey August. :)

Maybe you'd like to check this link out to get a better answer to your question:

http://beconvinced.com/en/main.php

Peace.

Woodrow
05-03-2007, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
True. It sometimes seems like the closer a religion is to your own, the more bitter the disputes are. I'm a Catholic Christian, and the most angry debates I have ever been involved in were between Protestants and Catholics. And we're in the same religion! And yet we can talk to a buddhist or an atheist quite civilly.
I grew up as a Catholic and I do recognize the beauty of Catholochism. When I was growing up the Mass was still the old Gregorian style and in Latin. When the changes to english and the dropping of the Gregorian Chants took place in the 1950s I felt it was no longer the same Church.

I have found that although there were many problems in the past between Catholics and Muslims (Crusades, Inquisition etc) that on an individual basis Catholics and Muslims were and are mutually tolerant of each other. I also notice that the mainstream Protestants are also more tolerant of Islam. Like you, us Muslims catch the most flak from the Evangelical fundamentalists.

That is sad to hear. Perhaps one day you will find that there is one true monotheistic God(swt) and He(swt) is the one worshiped by true Christians, Jews and Muslims.

I can understand it is difficult to give up Pagan beliefs, but search and you will find God(swt) if you do not turn a blind eye to Him(swt)

August
05-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Like you, us Muslims catch the most flak from the Evangelical fundamentalists.
Also too true. In fact, many of them say that if I believe that Muslims and Catholics (they don't consider Catholics Christian) worship the same God, then I am really worshiping the devil. They would say that if a Muslim denies the divinity of Christ, then they can't be worshiping the same God. Any sign of respect granted Islam is, in their minds, respecting the devil. There just isn't any reasoning with some people. sigh...

- Qatada -
05-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey.

If someone worships the Messiah son of Mary, then i don't agree with that.

However, if we all worship our Creator and Sustainer Alone, and the God of Abraham - then i agree, we probably do. :) But we differ on the way He should be worshipped, and this is when we believe that we should worship the Most Compassionate Alone without any intermediarries, rather all worship should be for Him Alone directly. That was the way of all the Prophets of God, so we should follow their example.

The issue of Prophethood is a totally different subject though, so maybe that could be discussed later.

Regards. :)

Amadeus85
05-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Ok ok i understand your way of thinking, and i dont want to offend our muslim friends, but as you can see saying that christians and muslims worship the same God brings some difficulties.
- For example, in your opinion, if muslims believe in the same God as we, will muslims be saved ? (why not if they believe in the same God)?
- You know well that for christians God is One in Trinity, so in your opinion muslims worship Trinity, but they dont know it ?
-If muslims believe in the same God as we, could you pray to islamic Allah in mosque?, (just like you can pray easily to biblical God in Orthodox or Catholic or Protestant church)?
And last think, don't you think that Allah differs bit from biblical Yahwe? Allah is completely transcendental, without any human features, while biblical God created humans to his similarity, He feels love, compassion and anger.

Philosopher
05-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Well you're right to an good extent. Another reason why there is hostility between Christianity and Islam is because both religions are competing to get the most converts. Christians and Muslims want to "save" disbelievers from Hellfire.

- Qatada -
05-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey Aaron.

The issue of comparing God to the creation is at two extremes, some people went to the extreme where they said that God is actually like a human with similar human features etc. whereas there was the other extreme of the philosophers who said that God has no form whatsoever.

We as muslims are in the middle since Islaam is the middle way. If you've read the Qur'an, at the beginning of every chapter in the Qur'an, minus one - the Chapter starts off with: In the Name of Allaah. Most Gracious, Most Merciful. We don't need 'god' to die for us to show us His Mercy, rather we can repent to Him for our wrongdoings and be forgiven by Him. Nor is God in three parts - rather He is the One and Only God. Your Lord is One, and none is worthy of worship except Him.

The understanding in Islaam is that God is only similar in attributes in the linguistic sense, i.e. There is none like God, yet He is the All-Hearing, All Seeing. What does that mean? It doesn't mean that He has human features - rather it means that He also Sees and Hears - but these attributes are only similar in regard to language, yet His Eyes are not like human eyes since 'there is none like unto Him' [Qur'an Chapter (of sincerety) 112.] And Allaah knows best.

Regards.

Keltoi
05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Ok ok i understand your way of thinking, and i dont want to offend our muslim friends, but as you can see saying that christians and muslims worship the same God brings some difficulties.
- For example, in your opinion, if muslims believe in the same God as we, will muslims be saved ? (why not if they believe in the same God)?
- You know well that for christians God is One in Trinity, so in your opinion muslims worship Trinity, but they dont know it ?
-If muslims believe in the same God as we, could you pray to islamic Allah in mosque?, (just like you can pray easily to biblical God in Orthodox or Catholic or Protestant church)?
And last think, don't you think that Allah differs bit from biblical Yahwe? Allah is completely transcendental, without any human features, while biblical God created humans to his similarity, He feels love, compassion and anger.

Do I believe Muslims will be saved? I certainly hope so, but you are correct in that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal salvation from the Christian perspective. I have faith in the fairness and mercy of God, so of course I would never pretend to know the state of another's salvation. I worry about my own.

Do Muslims worship a Trinity and not know it? No, that is easily answered.

Would I pray in a mosque to Allah? Since Allah means "God", and the early Christians didn't see a significant problem with allowing Muslims to pray in a church, and vice versa, then I wouldn't see a problem with it.

As for the character of God from the Christian perspective as opposed to the Muslim one...yes I see a difference. However, I would by no means suggest that God in the Q'uran doesn't feel love, compassion, or anger. From what I've read of the Q'uran, God does seem to be a more distant and unreachable than He does in the Bible, but that could be just my mistaken understanding.

Woodrow
05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Have you ever read the KJV in Arabic? Word god is not used in it once. Allah(swt) is called Allah(swt) in it. there are Arabic Christians and many of them do use the KJV in Arabic.

Christians did not use the word god until about the 14th Century. It is an interesting word with some interesting roots. How and why the English changed Allah(swt) to God(swt) I do not understand.

It seems that if Allah(swt) was good enough for Jesus(as) it should have remained good enough for English speakers.

Amadeus85
05-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Do I believe Muslims will be saved? I certainly hope so, but you are correct in that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal salvation from the Christian perspective. I have faith in the fairness and mercy of God, so of course I would never pretend to know the state of another's salvation. I worry about my own.

Do Muslims worship a Trinity and not know it? No, that is easily answered.

Would I pray in a mosque to Allah? Since Allah means "God", and the early Christians didn't see a significant problem with allowing Muslims to pray in a church, and vice versa, then I wouldn't see a problem with it.

As for the character of God from the Christian perspective as opposed to the Muslim one...yes I see a difference. However, I would by no means suggest that God in the Q'uran doesn't feel love, compassion, or anger. From what I've read of the Q'uran, God does seem to be a more distant and unreachable than He does in the Bible, but that could be just my mistaken understanding.

Ok thanks for answer, but don't you see the danger of sayings that we all worship the same God? Isn't this close to saying that all people worship the same God, but in different ways? For example, buddhists, hindus,sikhs etc etc. Isnt this watering the christian belief? One could ask , if muslims believe in the same God as christians so why should i stay with christian faith??? If praying in mosque is as allright as praying in church, isn't this crossing the line too much? We know well that those two faiths contradicts each other completely.If islam is true, our faith is wrong, and vice versa.Maybe sometimes it's better to show the differences than to show how we are all the same.

Keltoi
05-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Have you ever read the KJV in Arabic? Word god is not used in it once. Allah(swt) is called Allah(swt) in it. there are Arabic Christians and many of them do use the KJV in Arabic.

Christians did not use the word god until about the 14th Century. It is an interesting word with some interesting roots. How and why the English changed Allah(swt) to God(swt) I do not understand.

It seems that if Allah(swt) was good enough for Jesus(as) it should have remained good enough for English speakers.
Absolutely. The early Christian church used the word "Allah" for God long before Muslims did. The word "God" is a fairly recent addition to the lexicon. Of course by "recent" I mean in historical terms.

Keltoi
05-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Ok thanks for answer, but don't you see the danger of sayings that we all worship the same God? Isn't this close to saying that all people worship the same God, but in different ways? For example, buddhists, hindus,sikhs etc etc. Isnt this watering the christian belief? One could ask , if muslims believe in the same God as christians so why should i stay with christian faith??? If praying in mosque is as allright as praying in church, isn't this crossing the line too much? We know well that those two faiths contradicts each other completely.If islam is true, our faith is wrong, and vice versa.Maybe sometimes it's better to show the differences than to show how we are all the same.
I understand your point. To be honest I'm so tired of the bickering and arguments over our faiths that I latch on to anything that doesn't require an argument.

Amadeus85
05-03-2007, 09:30 PM

My country was baptized in 966 and christians here used word "God" from the beggining, they didnt use "Allah" word :D .By the way why should i use arabic words for describing God, while i have good word in my own language :)

Keltoi
05-03-2007, 09:31 PM
My country was baptized in 966 and christians here used word "God" from the beggining, they didnt use "Allah" word :D .By the way why should i use arabic words for describing God, while i have good word in my own language :)
"Allah" was also an Aramaic word. Jesus more than likely used it. Or the word "Mara" for Lord.

I agree that it doesn't really matter in the end.

Philosopher
05-03-2007, 09:32 PM
"Allah" was also an Aramaic word. Jesus more than likely used it. Or the word "Mara" for Lord.
Yeah you're right. Allah is a semetic word.

btw, Jesus was not his name. His name was close to "Ishwa."

Keltoi
05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
Yeah you're right. Allah is a semetic word.

btw, Jesus was not his name. His name was close to "Ishwa."
Yes I know. Doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as "Jesus".

Woodrow
05-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Absolutely. The early Christian church used the word "Allah" for God long before Muslims did. The word "God" is a fairly recent addition to the lexicon. Of course by "recent" I mean in historical terms.
True the word God(swt) is a brand new baby in the world of lexicons. Then again English is a brand new language and is still in its formation state. the English alphabet in it's present form did not even exist until about 1600.

Actually the word Allah(swt) has existed since prior to the writing of the Jewish Torah. To understand that takes a little understanding of Hebrew, Arabic and Aramaic. Allah(swt) writen in Hebrew Charecters would be transliterated into the English pronunciation Elahom or the Aramaic Ali or Eli

To a non semetic speaker to hear them pronounced by a native speaker, they would all sound very similar.

Yes, it was only with the advent of the English Language that Christianity stopped using Allah(swt) but it is still used by Christians in languages that are of mid easter origin.

snakelegs
05-03-2007, 10:22 PM
If islam is true, our faith is wrong, and vice versa.
as an outsider, i find it sad that a religion must validate its truth by proving another false.

Keltoi
05-03-2007, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
as an outsider, i find it sad that a religion must validate its truth by proving another false.
I think in this instance it stems from that fact that we, Christians and Muslims, worship the same God. However we differ greatly on the messengers and certain aspects of the message. This obviously leads to each branch trying to prove to the other one that their particular messenger is wrong. I agree that it is sad, but it is sort of hard to avoid in this case.

snakelegs
05-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I think in this instance it stems from that fact that we, Christians and Muslims, worship the same God. However we differ greatly on the messengers and certain aspects of the message. This obviously leads to each branch trying to prove to the other one that their particular messenger is wrong. I agree that it is sad, but it is sort of hard to avoid in this case.
it is more than that - you both believe that your religion has a monopoly on truth so you both depend on the other one being wrong. sometimes i even wonder if ultimately co-existence will prove impossible.
it may not look this way from the inside, but that's how it appears from the outside.

Woodrow
05-03-2007, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
it is more than that - you both believe that your religion has a monopoly on truth so you both depend on the other one being wrong. sometimes i even wonder if ultimately co-existence will prove impossible.
it may not look this way from the inside, but that's how it appears from the outside.
The reality is if all of us practiced what we we believe, all disagreements would be very peacefull. But,we are human. i know that it is pointless to try to prove that another person is wrong. That is a waste of time. even if it were possible for me to prove anybody wrong, that does not prove I am right.

That you for reminding me that my goal is to prove Islam is the truth. I am limited just to express why I believe that to be true and if others accept what I say, Inshallah.

I can understand why a person wants to defend their own belief so strongly. I would have very little respect for any person who failed to defend what he/she believes to be true.

We all just need to know that when we start trying to show that the other guy is wrong we are just reinforcing the belief that we can not prove what we say.

I will be the first to admit, I do not always listen to my own words. but, I really do know that I should and do need to stop feeling I need to reply to every statement.

ibrarfaiz
05-04-2007, 07:57 AM
i like keltio's part of the argument

Eric H
05-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Greetings and peace be with you all,

Just suppose for a moment that there is only one religion in the world and we all believe in the same God, would that be a recipe for peace and harmony?

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth

Eric

Woodrow
05-05-2007, 06:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you all,

Just suppose for a moment that there is only one religion in the world and we all believe in the same God, would that be a recipe for peace and harmony?

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth

Eric
I believe their would be an improvement. but, unless human values become universal there would not be the change to the degree it should be.

People will always make their own choices. there would be peace and harmony if all people were willing to serve God(swt) but sadly some people do not make that choice. I think the main difference would be is that everybody would know when they were going against God(swt) and it would be easier for us all to accept the fact that they have signed their own doom and it was truly their own choice.

Remember. Cain and Abel believed in the same God(swt) and were of one religion.

Trumble
05-05-2007, 09:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Difficult to accept from a personal perspective as my own religion (and I'm more than happy to take on those who claim it isn't one) does not believe in any God at all, at least in that sense. Buddhists could certainly co-exist with such universal believers in peace and harmony, though, given the opportunity.

Other than that, the answer is probably, and sadly, no. There have been more than enough Christian v. Christian and muslim v. muslim wars, even when there was no significant religious differences between those involved. However devout they may be everybody always thinks God is on their 'side', whatever may define a side, and not on that of the enemy.

Yanal
08-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi August i think if you are a christian so far as my knowledge i think you believe in Jesus(which is a prophet in islam pbuh) but if you want to embace islam than you are certainly welcome just ask a member a senior one not a limited best thing is ask Alpha dude cuz his teachings (copying stuff about islam) made someone a muslim already i think forgive me if not ask anyone you want if you want to become a muslim

Snowbunny
08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone! I've never posted here before, but I'm looking to settle a debate with some friends of mine. Do Muslims believe that Christians and Jews worship the same God you do? My friends say that Allah is not the same God we Christians worship, I say that he is. Who do you think is right?
hola,

i think this question is like asking (muslims and christians) "do we honour the same Jesus?" there was only one historic Jesus... so naturally we could not be talking about different people, but we believe very different things about how he was... so much so that from a certain perspective they might be considered completely separate people...

and then there is the question of whether one is really honouring Christ, or if they are actually committing blasphemy.

que Dios te bendiga

islamic
08-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Do Muslims believe that Christians and Jews worship the same God you do? My friends say that Allah is not the same God we Christians worship, I say that he is. Who do you think is right?
When you ask a christian: "Who is God?", they will say: "It is Jesus".
When you ask a muslim: "Is Jesus God?", they will say: "NO he is not!"

Obviosly WE DON'T worship the same God, I mean WE muslims and TODAYS christians that as it is prooven, follow the Pauline christianity.

Now, if you look for what God did Jesus worshiped .. you will see that he is crying on the cross: "Elah Elah Lama Sabahtani" meaning "My God My God why have you forsaken me!".

I ask a Christian, does that sounds to you like: "JESUS JESUS why have you forsaken me?" does it?
I ask a Christian, does that sound to you like: "Yehova Yehova why have you forsaken me?" does it?
I ask a Christian, does that sound to you like: "AbBA AbBA why have you forsaken me?" does it?

the answer is NO, NO, NO!

The arabic and hebrew languages are sister languages and they are very similar. So, I ask a christian again, does it sound like :"ALLAH ALLAH?".
Please, try to say this ELAH ELAH and ALLAH ALLAH. Sound similar?

So, Jesus worshiped ALLAh, WE muslims worship ALLAH, and when you ask a christian whom do they worship, they will say: "JESUS"!

God forbide. In the Judgement day, there will be many who will say to Jesus: "Lord, Lord, doesn't we pray in your name, and in your name we cast out devils?". What Jesus will replay? he will say: "BE AWAY you adultres generation, I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU!".
Who is calling Jesus Lord? do muslims call Jesus lord? Do jews call Jesus Lord? NO! YOU call Jesus Lord, and because of that, because of worshiping him .. Jesus will cast you AWAY!

Keltoi
08-22-2007, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamic
When you ask a christian: "Who is God?", they will say: "It is Jesus".
When you ask a muslim: "Is Jesus God?", they will say: "NO he is not!"

Obviosly WE DON'T worship the same God, I mean WE muslims and TODAYS christians that as it is prooven, follow the Pauline christianity.

Now, if you look for what God did Jesus worshiped .. you will see that he is crying on the cross: "Elah Elah Lama Sabahtani" meaning "My God My God why have you forsaken me!".

I ask a Christian, does that sounds to you like: "JESUS JESUS why have you forsaken me?" does it?
I ask a Christian, does that sound to you like: "Yehova Yehova why have you forsaken me?" does it?
I ask a Christian, does that sound to you like: "AbBA AbBA why have you forsaken me?" does it?

the answer is NO, NO, NO!

The arabic and hebrew languages are sister languages and they are very similar. So, I ask a christian again, does it sound like :"ALLAH ALLAH?".
Please, try to say this ELAH ELAH and ALLAH ALLAH. Sound similar?

So, Jesus worshiped ALLAh, WE muslims worship ALLAH, and when you ask a christian whom do they worship, they will say: "JESUS"!

God forbide. In the Judgement day, there will be many who will say to Jesus: "Lord, Lord, doesn't we pray in your name, and in your name we cast out devils?". What Jesus will replay? he will say: "BE AWAY you adultres generation, I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU!".
Who is calling Jesus Lord? do muslims call Jesus lord? Do jews call Jesus Lord? NO! YOU call Jesus Lord, and because of that, because of worshiping him .. Jesus will cast you AWAY!

Nice little sermon. However, when you ask a Christian Who they worship, they will say God. The God of Moses. I don't expect Muslims or Jews to accept the Christian understanding of Jesus Christ as God Among Us. Back to the original question though, Jews, Christians, and Muslims worship the same God. If we didn't worship the same God we wouldn't have much to say to each other in the context of faith. As this forum shows, Jews, Christians, and Muslims can talk, argue, criticize, threaten, etc, amongst each other for eternity if given the time. We can't change each other, but our beliefs are so closely linked that the smallest difference can lead to endless argument.

wafa islam
08-22-2007, 03:38 PM
I agree with you August!!

The people of the Book worship the same God, the Most Exalted.

It is sad to hear that many Muslims confuse non-Muslims and say we have different God. But believe me and visit www.beconvinced.com and you will see that we worship the same Almighty God.

In fact arabic speaking Jews and Christians use the word Allah for God.

Allah means God in Arabic. The only difference is that the word God in English can be plural i.e you can say gods. But you can't say Allaahs (there is no plural form for the word Allah, it's a special word), you got me?

Muslims don't believe that Jesus is God, and Muslims don't believe in Trinity. Muslims do believe in the absolute monotheistic God, The Creator, The Sustainer, The Provider, The Exalted, The Most Beneficient, The One who has power of all things.

Among our people are some who only confuse and say that Islam forbids this Islam forbids that, God and Allah are different, we (i.e. Muslims) have a totally different view on life and the hereafter and etc.

Frankly, you would be amazed how much we have in common !!

We (Muslims, Jews and Christians) have so much things in common, and it would probably take dozens of years to summarize. Really.

For more information visit www.godallah.com

And listen to Yusuf Estes, he's really good in comparing the thre great religions, and there is a video he explains this matter.

Regards :)

NoName55
08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wafa islam
I agree with you August!!

The people of the Book worship the same God, the Most Exalted.

It is sad to hear that many Muslims confuse non-Muslims and say we have different God. But believe me and visit www.beconvinced.com and you will see that we worship the same Almighty God.

In fact arabic speaking Jews and Christians use the word Allah for God.

Allah means God in Arabic. The only difference is that the word God in English can be plural i.e you can say gods. But you can't say Allaahs (there is no plural form for the word Allah, it's a special word), you got me?

Muslims don't believe that Jesus is God, and Muslims don't believe in Trinity. Muslims do believe in the absolute monotheistic God, The Creator, The Sustainer, The Provider, The Exalted, The Most Beneficient, The One who has power of all things.

Among our people are some who only confuse and say that Islam forbids this Islam forbids that, God and Allah are different, we (i.e. Muslims) have a totally different view on life and the hereafter and etc.

Frankly, you would be amazed how much we have in common !!

We (Muslims, Jews and Christians) have so much things in common, and it would probably take dozens of years to summarize. Really.

For more information visit www.godallah.com

And listen to Yusuf Estes, he's really good in comparing the thre great religions, and there is a video he explains this matter.

Regards :)
do the following 2 statements look the same?
  1. " The people of the Book worship the same God"
  2. " Muslims don't believe that Jesus is God, and Muslims don't believe in Trinity."
Christians worship a god who can walk around on earth, eat food, deficate, get hurt, can be arrested by his creation and can get killed to see how being human feels.

Jews and Muslims worship a God who is above all that!

you should take your own advice and read more of Br. Estes works esp. most recent ones

wa salam

Keltoi
08-22-2007, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
do the following 2 statements look the same?
  1. " The people of the Book worship the same God"
  2. " Muslims don't believe that Jesus is God, and Muslims don't believe in Trinity."
Christians worship a god who can walk around on earth, eat food, deficate, get hurt, can be arrested by his creation and can get killed to see how being human feels.

Jews and Muslims worship a God who is above all that!

you should take your own advice and read more of Br. Estes works esp. most recent ones

wa salam
Perhaps a better way to put it is that we don't believe the same things about God, but the God in question is the same.

NoName55
08-22-2007, 06:27 PM
^^ I think I can understand that, and probably agree but as I am not very well today, so shant say anymore for now wa salam

August
08-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Wow. How did this thread get active again, five months later?

Perhaps a better way to put it is that we don't believe the same things about God, but the God in question is the same.
As I recall, this is what I was getting at with my original question. I obviously understand that Islam and Christianity don't have the same understanding of God, but I think we do worship the same one. What my friends (from my op, back in May!) were arguing was that Islam worships an Arab moon god.

zarhad
08-23-2007, 07:02 AM
you know thats something that really bothers me ive heard that alot latily in the media we dont worship the moon only Allah, the moon is merely a way in which we keep track of the date like the calender, except we are muslim so we dont go by the western calender because it applys to christianity only

- Qatada -
08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
:salamext:

Nah, the idea of the moon god's so boring. Because the message of Islam is so simple, so some krazy person decided to brainwash people into thinking that we worship something else. When it's the Lord of the Worlds who we worship, the Originator of all things.

But yeah, that person will be rewarded for his own evil on the Day of Judgement for lying to deceive others. And none will be dealt with unjustly on that Day.

NoName55
08-23-2007, 02:50 PM

a must listen
http://godallah.com/audio/allah_ez_terms.html

and a must see

Media Tags are no longer supported

a must read

Is Crescent Moon Symbol of Islam?

Question:

Hello and thank you for answering my question! While being not a Muslim, I find the Qur’an a very interesting work. I’m currently doing some research concerning various religious symbols and I hope that you could help me. I don’t know who else to ask. The symbol for Islam is the crescent moon and star, but, I can find no mention as to its symbolism and how it originated. I have asked a few of my Muslim friends and they didn’t know. Any info you could give me and any passages from the Qur’an concerning its symbolism/origin would be greatly appreciated and help with my continuing research. Thank you.

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

First of all, we’d like to voice our appreciation for the confidence you repose in us, and we hope our efforts come up to your expectation, and pray to Almighty Allah to help you in your study.

As for the issue you raised, we’d like to state that “the crescent moon and star symbol actually pre-dates Islam by several thousand years. Information on the origins of the symbol are difficult to ascertain, but most sources agree that these ancient celestial symbols were in use by the peoples of Central Asia and Siberia in their worship of sun, moon, and sky gods. There are also reports that the crescent moon and star were used to represent the Carthaginian goddess Tanit or the Greek goddess Diana.

The city of Byzantium (later known as Constantinople and Istanbul) adopted the crescent moon symbol. According to some reports, they chose it in honor of the goddess Diana. Others indicate that it dates back to a battle in which the Romans defeated the Goths on the first day of a lunar month. In any event, the crescent moon was featured on the city's flag even before the birth of Christ.

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) Islamic armies and caravans flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. In later generations, the Muslim leaders continued to use a simple black, white, or green flag with no markings, writing, or symbolism on it.

It wasn’t until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city’s existing flag and symbol. Legend holds that the founder of the Ottoman Empire, Othman, had a dream in which the crescent moon stretched from one end of the earth to the other. Taking this as a good omen, he chose to keep the crescent and make it the symbol of his dynasty. There is speculation that the five points on the star represent the five daily prayers, but this is pure conjecture. The five points were not standard on the Ottoman flags, and it is also not standard on flags used in the Muslim world today.

For hundreds of years, the Ottoman Empire ruled over the Muslim world. After centuries of battle with Christian Europe, it is understandable how the symbols of this empire became linked in people’s minds with the faith of Islam as a whole.

Based on this history, many Muslims reject using the crescent moon as a symbol of Islam. The faith of Islam has historically adopted no symbol, and many refuse to accept what is essentially an ancient pagan icon.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from:
http://islam.about.com/library/weekly/aa060401b.htm

^^ The American Muslim scholar, Sheikh Yusuf Estes, Director of islamtomorrow.com, and National Chaplain WAMY, adds:

“The symbol of Islam IS NOT the crescent moon and the star, but it was used by the last Islamic Dynasty, the Ottoman’s. The Ottoman Empire deemed it appropriate to use the star and crescent as their symbols, but not the symbols of Islam. I repeat, the star and the crescent moon are not a part of the religion of Islam. Because Islam is so strict on the concept of no other gods with Allah; and no images of any kind; it is a mistake to consider that Islam authorized the general use of such things. Additionally, Islam forbids the images (statues) of any kinds of humans, animals or any of Allah’s creations, so how about using a symbol for Islam?”

Allah Almighty knows best.

islamic
08-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Wow. How did this thread get active again, five months later?
Well, I was the one who posted 5 months after you opened the Thread.
People, brothers and sisters, muslims and others, I don't understand how do you keep posting that MUSLIMS and CHRISTIANS do worship the same God!
It is ilogical, it is not true! Is Jesus=Allah? NO he is NOT!
christians say JESUS is God, muslims say HE IS NOT. What is this telling you? that WE DO NOT WORSHIP the same God, even the concept of God is different from christian and muslim perspective.
You keep talking that Christians will say .. they worship God of Moses ... OKAY, maybe someone of them will say that, BUT the majorety WILL SAY that THEY WORSHIP JESUS, and HE IS THEIR God!
We muslims do worship ALLAH as God of Moses, God of Jesus, God of Muhammad, God of everyone. Even if a christian says that he Worship the God of Moses, in back of his mind The God Of Moses is JESUS!
You see...! The thing that we all say that WE WORSHIP God, the CREATOR of heavens and the earth doesn't mean that HE IS THE one worshiped by christians today and by muslims.
When muslim say that, we think of Allah. When christian say that, he thinks of Jesus, and these two are NOT ONE AND THE SAME.
Even JESUS was worshiping Allah, even he was teaching his disciples to worship the only God who is greater than him (Jesus), who is greater than ALL, God who have send him (Jesus) to the lost sheep of Israel.
Common, Allah in the Holy Quran is telling us to TALK and come in common terms with christians, that we worship none but Allah. Why he is asking from US that? why he ask from us to do that? because christians worship Allah??!!! NO! BECAUSE they do worship and make God someone who NEVER CLAIMED to be God, Jesus never said :"I am God" or "Worship Me", NEVER!

So, brothers and sisters, muslims and christians, we DO NOT worship the same God! Is it clear?

AB517
08-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Well, I was the one who posted 5 months after you opened the Thread.
People, brothers and sisters, muslims and others, I don't understand how do you keep posting that MUSLIMS and CHRISTIANS do worship the same God!
It is ilogical, it is not true! Is Jesus=Allah? NO he is NOT!
christians say JESUS is God, muslims say HE IS NOT. What is this telling you? that WE DO NOT WORSHIP the same God, even the concept of God is different from christian and muslim perspective.
You keep talking that Christians will say .. they worship God of Moses ... OKAY, maybe someone of them will say that, BUT the majorety WILL SAY that THEY WORSHIP JESUS, and HE IS THEIR God!
We muslims do worship ALLAH as God of Moses, God of Jesus, God of Muhammad, God of everyone. Even if a christian says that he Worship the God of Moses, in back of his mind The God Of Moses is JESUS!
You see...! The thing that we all say that WE WORSHIP God, the CREATOR of heavens and the earth doesn't mean that HE IS THE one worshiped by christians today and by muslims.
When muslim say that, we think of Allah. When christian say that, he thinks of Jesus, and these two are NOT ONE AND THE SAME.
Even JESUS was worshiping Allah, even he was teaching his disciples to worship the only God who is greater than him (Jesus), who is greater than ALL, God who have send him (Jesus) to the lost sheep of Israel.
Common, Allah in the Holy Quran is telling us to TALK and come in common terms with christians, that we worship none but Allah. Why he is asking from US that? why he ask from us to do that? because christians worship Allah??!!! NO! BECAUSE they do worship and make God someone who NEVER CLAIMED to be God, Jesus never said :"I am God" or "Worship Me", NEVER!

So, brothers and sisters, muslims and christians, we DO NOT worship the same God! Is it clear?

This is silly.

How many gods are there?

I have one God. Jews have one God. Islam has one God. There is only one God. They are the same. The religions are diffrent ... but religion is run by men. The men are diffrent.

islamic
08-23-2007, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AB517
This is silly.

How many gods are there?

I have one God. Jews have one God. Islam has one God. There is only one God. They are the same. The religions are diffrent ... but religion is run by men. The men are diffrent.
Even in your profile we can read this: "Way of Life: Undisclosed", from your answer I can see that you are a CHRISTIAN.
I have to ask you, how many Gods are there? You christians are telling me that Jesus is God, the Father is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, but there are not three gods but one God, you are telling me that Jesus is a person, the Father is a Person, and Holy Ghost is a person, but there are no three persons but one person ... I am asking you, What language do you speak? Is that english?!
You christians say Jesus is God, we muslims say HE IS NOT GOD! There is only ONE GOD, we muslims say, but YOU MAKE THEM MORE, you make one in three, three in one, you make someone who NEVER SAID he is God, God, you make JEsus God, we don't make.
Your statements are silly, not our statements, you think silly things and ask this kind of Questions, we muslims don't!
The God worshiped by Moses was Allah, Jesus worshiped Allah, Muhammed worshiped Allah, ALLAH is the one and only God, Jesus was one send by Allah.
I hope this is clear!

NoName55
08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AB517
This is silly.

How many gods are there?

any sillier than your post?
This is silly.
naughty!
I have one God. Jews have one God. Islam has one God. There is only one God. They are the same.
you mean God of Jews and Muslims is same as Christian god who needs to learn the pain of humanity by becoming one of them?

God of Abraham does not need to become a man to learn about pain of man just like a sports goods manufacturer does not need to become a tennis ball in order to see what it feels like to be one.

in any case they must have at least 3 gods in order to make the crucifiction to work or the universe would have collapsed 2000 years ago while the sustainer was being strung up (nahuzobillah).

Keltoi
08-23-2007, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
any sillier than your post?
naghty!
you mean God of Jews and Muslims is same as Christian god who needs to learn the pain of humanity by becoming one of them?

God of Abraham does not need to become a man to learn about pain of man just like a sports goods manufacturer does not need to become a tennis ball in order to see what it feels like to be one.

in any case they must have at least 3 gods in order to make the crucifiction to work or the universe would have collapsed 2000 years ago while the sustainer was being strung up (nahuzobillah).
No offense, but you are showing how little you truly understand about the Christian faith. God did not "become" a man in order to understand pain, but as an act of mercy for all men(and women of course). As this topic isn't about Christian theology I won't expound further, but I felt it necessary to correct that statement.

As for your final point about "3 gods" being necessary for the crucifixion, I'm not sure how you come to that rather strange conclusion. Only creatures that have a beginning have an end, and Christ did not end.

islamic
08-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Only creatures that have a beginning have an end, and Christ did not end.
Please, if you have to say something on the topic, do it.
You should read about the priest in the Bible who is described like a person without beginning, without end, without father, without mother, and this quality seems to be attributed only to God. If we take this BEGINNING AND END things and if that is a proof for someone being God, this priest is MORE GOD and Jesus is LES GOD from him!

Keltoi
08-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Please, if you have to say something on the topic, do it.
You should read about the priest in the Bible who is described like a person without beginning, without end, without father, without mother, and this quality seems to be attributed only to God. If we take this BEGINNING AND END things and if that is a proof for someone being God, this priest is MORE GOD and Jesus is LES GOD from him!
I'm afraid I have no idea what you are talking about. Care to explain yourself?

islamic
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Hebrews, in chapter 7 and verse 3, you will read about Melchizedek. Hope I will be clear now!

Keltoi
08-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Hebrews, in chapter 7 and verse 3, you will read about Melchizedek. Hope I will be clear now!
It isn't clear what is meant by the verse in question. I believe the most accepted theory among Jewish scholars is that Melchizedek was actually Shem, who lived 600 years and nobody could remember his lineage.

The Christian interpretation is that Melchizedek was an archetype of the Messiah. The pure Word of God, which had no connection to the Levites.

In any event, it doesn't really change the fact that only God has neither beginning nor end, which is why it is felt that Melchizedek was either a very old son of Noah(Jewish belief), or a foreshadowing of Jesus the Christ. All we know is that the Scripture isn't very clear on who or what this individual was.

islamic
08-26-2007, 02:20 PM
It isn't clear what is meant by the verse in question. I believe the most accepted theory among Jewish scholars is that Melchizedek was actually Shem, who lived 600 years and nobody could remember his lineage.

The Christian interpretation is that Melchizedek was an archetype of the Messiah. The pure Word of God, which had no connection to the Levites.

In any event, it doesn't really change the fact that only God has neither beginning nor end, which is why it is felt that Melchizedek was either a very old son of Noah(Jewish belief), or a foreshadowing of Jesus the Christ. All we know is that the Scripture isn't very clear on who or what this individual was.
Look brother, one say THIS, the other one says THAT ... he was either this or either that ... HM, I accept it when you say that what I've made in BOLD :sunny:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.