/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Milad-un-Nabi...

*~Sofia~*
05-03-2007, 08:11 PM
:sl: to all bros and sisters..

i was just wondering what all ur views are on celebrating milad-un-nabi. i personally dnt celebrate it but i know many ppl that do... :?
so I jus wanted to know if it's correct or not? if anyone has any hadiths etc that are related to this topic, i wud b grateful :D

Jazakallah in advance :statisfie

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-04-2007, 02:03 AM
:sl:

I never heard of any such celebration. But, there are many things I have never heard of.

Here in Austin the only thing we celebrate is Eid

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-04-2007, 02:19 AM
:sl: Sister,

Firstly, the statement of Imaam al-Barbahaaree (d.329H) - rahimahullaah who said,
"Beware of small innovations, because they grow and become large. This was the case with every innovation introduced into this Ummah. It started as something small, bearing a resemblance to the truth, which is why those who entered into it were misled, and then were unable to leave it. So it grew and it became the religion which, they followed, so they deviated from the Straight Path and thus left Islaam. May Allaah have mercy upon you! Examine carefully the speech of everyone you hear from, in your time particularly. So do not act in haste, nor enter into anything from it, until you ask and see: Did any of the Companions of the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) speak about it, or any of the (early) Scholars? So if you find a narration from them about it, cling to it and do not go beyond it for anything, nor give precedence to anything over it and thus fall into the Fire.’’
Sharhus-Sunnah (no. 8)

Secondly in regards to the Milad Shaykh Al Islam Ibn Taymiyyah summed it up the best, he said:

"…because the Eeds are legislated laws from amongst the laws, so it is necessary to follow them, and not to innovate them, and the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) had many lectures, treaties, and great events that happened on a number of (documented) days such as the Day of Badr, Hunain, al-Khandaq, the Conquest of Mecca, the occurrence of his hijrah, his entry to Madeenah…and none of this necessitated that these days be taken as days of Eed. Rather this sort of thing was done by the Christians who took the days in which great events happened to Jesus as eeds, or by the Jews. Indeed the Eed is a legislated law, so what Allaah legislates is followed, otherwise do not innovate in this religion that which is not part of it.

And like this is what some of the people have innovated, either in opposition to the Christian celebration of the birthday of Jesus, or out of love for the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) and in honour of him. And Allaah will reward them for this love and ijtihaad, but NOT FOR THE BID’AH of taking the day of the birth of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) as an eed - this along with the difference of the people as to when he was born. For indeed this (celebration) was not done by the salaf, despite the existence of factors that would necessitate it and the lack of any factors that would prevent them from doing so if it were indeed good. And if this was genuinely good or preferable then the salaf, may Allaah be pleased with them, would have more right to doing so then us, for they had more severe love and honour of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) in following him, obeying him, and following his command, and reviving his sunnah inwardly and outwardly, and spreading that which he was sent with, and performing jihaad for this in the heart, with the hand and upon the tongue. So indeed this was the way of the Saabiqeen al-Awwaleen from the Muhajiroon and the Ansaar, and those that followed them in good.

And you will find the majority of these (who celebrate the birthday) in ardent desire of these sort of innovations - alongwith what they have of good intention and ijtihaad for which reward is hoped for - but you would find them feeble in following the command of the Messenger, that which they have been commanded to be eager and vigorous in, indeed they are of the position of one who adorns the Mushaf but does not read what is in it or reads what is in it but does not follow it. Or the position of one who decorates the mosques but does not pray in them, or prays in them rarely…

And know that from the actions are those that have some good in them, due to their including types of good actions and including evil actions such as innovation etc. So this action would be good with respect to what it includes of good and evil with respect to what it contains of turning away from the religion in it’s totality, as is the state of the hypocrites and faasiqeen. This has what has afflicted the majority of the ummah in the later times. So upon you is two manners (of rectification):
  1. that your desire be to follow the sunnah inwardly and outwardly, with respect to yourself specifically and those that follow you, and you enjoin the good and forbid the evil.
  2. that you call the people to the sunnah in accordance to ability, so if you were to see someone doing this (celebration) and he were to not leave it except for an evil greater than it, then do not call him to leaving the evil so that he may perform something more evil than this….[a page omitted in which he explains this principle]
So honouring the mawlid, and taking it as a festive season (mawsam) which some of the people have done, there is a great reward in it due to the good intention and the honouring of the Messenger (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) because of what I have previously stated to you - that it is possible that something be good for some of the people and be denounced/considered to be ugly by the strict believer. This is why it was said to Imaam Ahmad about some of the leaders, that he spent 1000 dirhams upon the mushaf or similar to this. So he replied, ‘leave them, for this is better than them spending it on gold (jewellery).’ This despite the fact that the madhhab of Imaam Ahmad was that it is abhorrent to decorate the mushafs, and some of the companions (of Ahmad) interpreted this to mean that the money was spent in renewing the pages and writing. But this is not the intent of Ahmad here, his intention here was that this action had a benefit in it, and it also contained corruption due to which it became abhorrent. But these people, if they did not do this, would have substituted this for a corruption that contained no good whatsoever, for example spending upon one of the books of evil…"
[Iqtidaa Siraat al-Mustaqeem 2/618]
Also see:
http://www.islamicboard.com/691247-post4.html

I hope that clears up the matter Insha'Allaah and Allaah knows best :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Milad un Nabi means Birth of the Prophet(saw). It's usually celebrated in Pakistan.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
05-04-2007, 02:51 AM

I know it is celebrated in Pakistan, but it is unheard of as a celebration among any of the Muslims I know here in Austin. We simply do not celebrate it.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-04-2007, 02:57 AM
They read and complete the Qur'an during this time. So it's not allowed at all right? Astaghfirullah wow. My aunt was tellin me some days ago that she heard a scholar talking about it saying its ok to celebrate as long as its not extreme like music and stuff. Basically they called it another "Eid." And thats what you just posted Bro Fi...:X. So are they wrong for saying it??

north_malaysian
05-04-2007, 03:07 AM
I dont celebrate it... but it's a public holiday in Malaysia. I think most Muslims in Malaysia dont celebrate it.... we utilise the day as the day for picnic, shopping, or being lazy at home (eg. watching tv, sleeping) ... generally it just a public holiday.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-04-2007, 03:12 AM

I found this too. I hope the website is acceptable:

Sharee Status of Milad-un-Nabi
published by Jamiatul Ulama (Transvaal) - Azaadville branch

Many people repeatedly ask "What is the Sharée status of 'Éid-e-Meelad-un-Nabee'?" Moreover, "What s the ruling of the Shariáh with regard to standing up in reverence and reciting Salaat and salaam during the customary Meelad proceedings?"

Answer: The establishment of ceremonial gatherings under the banner of "Éid-un-Nabee" is prohibited according to the Shariáh. Attaching importance and significance to such functions is purely Bidáh and an innovation in Deen, because neither did Rasulullah himself indulge in it, nor did the illustrious Khulafaa-e-Raashideen (Radhiyallaahu-Ánhum) organise such functions. Similarly, neither did any of the other Sahaaba-e-Kiraam (Radhiyallaahu-Ánhum) participate in such gatherings, nor is there any incident on record during the blessed era of the taabi'een or tab'e taabi'een (Rahmatullaahi Álayhim) that can, in any way, substantiate this innovation. No proof whatsoever can be found, in spite of the fact that these were people who were best acquainted with the Sunnah of Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) and had total love for him. They were staunch followers of the Shariáh.

Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) has in no unclear terms, said: "Whoever introduces anything that is not part of Deen, into this Deen of ours, it shall be rejected." (Bukhari, Muslim)

In another Hadith he says: "Hold steadfast onto my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly-guided Khulafaa, after me. Hold steadfast onto it firmly, and beware of newly-introduced practices, for every new practice is an innovation and every innovation leads one astray." (Abu Dawood/Tirmizi)

Severe warnings have been sounded in the above-mentioned Ahaadith with regard to introducing and implementing innovations in Deen.

The holy Qur'an enjoins: "And whatsoever the messenger giveth you, take it. And whatsoever he forbiddeth, abstain (from it). And keep your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is stern in reprisal." (59:7)

"Verily in the messenger of Allah, ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the last day, and remembereth Allah much." (33:21)

"This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour unto you, and have chosen for you a religion, al-Islam." (5:3)

There are numerous other Aayaat and Ahaadith that can be quoted. But from no Aayat or Ahaadith can the current form of "Eid-e-Meelad-un-Nabee (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam)', be proved. In spite of this, the people that revel in establishing and participating in such functions, and regard the same as a form of reward, insist on forging ahead with their carnal ideals. This attitude of theirs causes some serious questions to be posed:

Did Allah Ta'ala not perfect Deen-e-Islam for this Ummah? Did Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) not disclose to us all the facets and aspects of Islam that required being put into practice?

The bitter truth for the exponents of Bid'a is that it was only many centuries after the righteous and golden era of Islam that people began to fabricate innovations under the hood of "Éid-e-Meelad-un-Nabee (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam)" and "Mahfeel-e-Meelad", which were practices not ordained by Allah Taãla to any of His Ambiyaa Álayhimus salaam.

Will such innovations grant proximity to Allah Taãla? Never! On the contrary, these innovations should be a cause of great concern and alarm for the Ummat-e-Muslimah! Na-oothu-billahi-min-thalika! We seek Allah Taãla's refuge from innovations that tantamount to levelling mind-boggling accusations against the pure and venerable personality of Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam). By innovating such practices, one is indirectly suggesting that Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) concealed from the Ummah, aspects of Deen that were of immense benefit to it. How can this be possible when Allah Ta'ala himself categorically declares that He perfected this religion for us and completed His favour upon us, which means that Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) conveyed every single aspect of Deen to the Ummah and that he left no stone unturned in showing us every road leads to Jannah and every road that takes one to Jahannam so that we may adopt the former and avoid the latter.

Hence, it is mentioned in one Hadith: "It was the incumbent duty of every Nabee Álayhis-salaam to guide his Ummah towards that which was beneficial for it and warn it against that which was detrimental for it." (Muslim)

http://www.beautifulislam.net/halalh..._sharee_p.html

siFilam
05-04-2007, 06:24 AM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

:salamext:

I never celebrated either. I only heard about recently. May protect us from innovations. Ameen.

did it originate from Pakistan?

wasalam
-SI-

- Qatada -
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM

It originated from a deviated sect among the Shi'a in the 4th century after Hijrah, and that was because their Khilafah was in Egypt where there were alot of christian coptics. The christians used to celebrate the "birthday" of Prophet Jesus son of Mary (peace be upon them.) on christmas - so these people imitated them in that and started celebrating Allaah's final Messenger, Muhammad (peace be upon him)'s birthday.

I dont think there are any narrations linked to the best 3 generations [the companions, their students and their students] who celebrated it, since we know the companions of Allaah's Messenger never either. And the best 3 generations are a criterion for us to see whether what the people after do is correct or not.

We also know that Allaah's Messenger said:

Narrated By Abu Sa’id Al-Khudri : The Prophet said, “You will follow the ways of those nations who were before you, span by span and cubit by cubit ( i.e., inch by inch) so much so that even if they entered a hole of a mastigure(a kind of lizard), you would follow them.” We said, “O Allah’s Apostle! (Do you mean) the Jews and the Christians ?” He said, “Whom else?” (Bukhari: Vol 009, Book 092, Hadith 422.)

IbnAbdulHakim
05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

ive read many articles in which if a group of muslims met up to talk about the seerat (life) of our prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam and to send peace and blessings upon him and praise Allah, this is not bad at all and is encouraged. However the modernday practise of milad contains so many innovations thus making it harmful.

if i find any of the articles i can post it inshaAllah.

Musalmaan
05-04-2007, 11:40 AM

unfortunately this celebration is getting worse ever passing year, the number of evil actions & biddah is increasing and last year they invented two rakaah nafil prayers with jamaah in that day. lahawla wala quwatta illa billah

Those who remain in biddah, they die not in the deen of prophet Muhammad sallallahu alaihi wa sallam,
they leave this world without emaan and kalmah.

may Allah save us from every biddah.

------
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM

Al Madnai Bro, innovations do not necessarily mean Milaad Un Nabi. We are celebrating the birth of the Prophet Sallallaahu Alaihi Wa Aalihi Wassalam, but reciting nasheeds and naats. How can that be considered wrong?

Am not attcking you btw, just wanted to know what your sources are for not 'celebrating' Milaad Un Nabi.

*~Sofia~*
05-04-2007, 12:04 PM
:sl: everyone,

Jazakallah LOADZ to all the people who responded to this thread.. I am no longer confused about the topic of Milad-un-Nabi, and i now know that it is an innovation and NOT to be celebrated. :statisfie

jazakallah again.. may Allah reward you all :D

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-04-2007, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Al Madnai Bro, innovations do not necessarily mean Milaad Un Nabi. We are celebrating the birth of the Prophet Sallallaahu Alaihi Wa Aalihi Wassalam, but reciting nasheeds and naats. How can that be considered wrong?

Am not attcking you btw, just wanted to know what your sources are for not 'celebrating' Milaad Un Nabi.
:w: Sister,

The innovation is when they seperate a day from the others and hold their gatherings and sing and dance and do their innovated group dhikrs. As Shaykh Yasir Qadhi said:
When you understand the meaning and psychology of 'ibaadah (love, hope and fear), you will find that practicioners of the mawlid demonstrate all of these emotions far more perfectly during these innovated acts than they do in their salat and du'aa to Allah, but unfortunately during their ceremonies these emotions are not being directed to Allah. And this one issue, in and of itself, is enough of an indication of the dangers of the mawlid.
Secondly, as a rule, no act of worship is acceptable in form or substance unless it conforms with the Sunnah. As the words of Imam Barbaharee advised us to ask whenever we see anything in the religion: 'Did any of the Companions of the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) speak about it, or any of the (early) Scholars?' And if we don't find anything from them regarding this, we do not do it. We stop where they stopped, and what sufficed them in the religion suffices us. We have been commanded by the Imams of the Sunnah to stick to the narrations and not to go beyond them.

Hudhayfah ibn al-Yamaan (R) said:
"Do not perform any act of worship that was not practiced by the Companions of the Messenger of Allah, for the earlier generation did not leave any room for the latter to add anything (to the religion). Fear Allah, O' readers, seekers of knowledge, and follow the patho of those who came before you."
Narrated by Ibn Battah in Al-Ibaanah.
And the fact that they did not celebrate the Milad is enough of an indication for us not to take it specifically as a day of I'd.

Our job is to simply follow the Salaf because it is as Ibn Mas'ud said:
"Follow and do not innovate, for everything has been taken care of, and you must follow the ancient way (i.e., of the Salaf)."
Ad-Daarimi in his Sunan.
So we go and see, did they take the day of Milad (and there is even a difference of opinion on the exact date of the Milad as Ibn Taymiyyah points out) as a day where they did extra deeds? So when they haven't done it, we should not either.

We love the Messenger, but what is the better form of loving him? To set out one day for him, singing nasheeds and naats and slack for the rest of the year? Or to try and implement the Sunnah everyday in every aspect of your life? Which is the greater form of honoring the Messenger? Indeed the latter is more closer to the truth. It is as Ibn Taymiyyah says as quoted before:
For indeed this (celebration) was not done by the salaf, despite the existence of factors that would necessitate it and the lack of any factors that would prevent them from doing so if it were indeed good. And if this was genuinely good or preferable then the salaf, may Allaah be pleased with them, would have more right to doing so then us, for they had more severe love and honour of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) in following him, obeying him, and following his command, and reviving his sunnah inwardly and outwardly, and spreading that which he was sent with, and performing jihaad for this in the heart, with the hand and upon the tongue. So indeed this was the way of the Saabiqeen al-Awwaleen from the Muhajiroon and the Ansaar, and those that followed them in good.
And some people claim that it is to increase their love for the Messenger, but the Messenger has told us how to increase our love for him:
“Whoever wants to to love Allah and His Messenger, then let him read the Mushaf.''
[’Sahih al-Jami”; # 6289]
So if we indeed want the love of the Messenger in our hearts, let us open the Qur'an and read that because that is what the Messenger has told us to do. He did not tell us that taking a day out for his birthday is the way to increase our love for him. There is one more Hadith that I want to show you, the Messenger said:
"I have not left anything which Allah ordered you with, except that I have ordered you with it, nor anything that Allah forbade you, except that I forbade you from it."
[Saheeh, al-Baihaqee 7:76]

And there are no narrations that tell us that the Messenger ordered us to take the day of his birth as an I'd.

And lastly the saying of Imam Malik:
He said: 'Whoever introduces an innovation into Islam thinking that it is good is implying that Muhammad betrayed his mission, because Allah (SWT) says:
{...This day, I have perfected your religion for you...} (Qur'an 5:3)

So, whatever was not part of the religion on that day, cannot be part of the religion today.'"

Al-I'tisaam by Imam Ash-Shaatibi.
Insha'Allaah that clears up the matter Sister :)

FatimaAsSideqah
05-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Wow..thankfully I am not celebrated that at all!

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: "Whoever brings forth an innovation into our religion which is not part of it, it is rejected".

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) also said: "Beware of inventive matters for every invention is an innovation and every innovation is evil".

Those who quote these two Ahadith claim that the word "Kul" which means "EVERY" or "ALL" which is mentioned in the above two Ahadith is used to include everything, i.e. all kinds of innovations or "Bid'ah" without any exception. They conclude therefore, that all innovations are "evil".

By stating such an ill-fated statement, they have in fact accused the scholars (Ulema) of the Muslim World of committing "evil" innovations, particularly Hadrat Umar (radi Allahu anhu). However, they quickly respond and say: No, we did not mean the Companions (Sahaba Ikraam). In reply to that we say, yes, indeed you did so, because you said "every" or "all" innovations are "evil".

And you have rejected what the Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) himself approved, i.e."Tarawih Prayers".

We will now quote before you many actions which were not carried out during the life of Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) but were in fact done following his demise by his Companions (ridwanullahi ta'ala ajma'in).

Fi Amani Allah

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Regarding the Tarawih and what Umar r.a. did:

Abu Yusuf said, "I asked Abu Hanifah about the Tarawih and what 'Umar did and he said,
'The Tarawih is a stressed Sunnah, and 'Umar did not do that from his own opinion, nor was there in his action any innovation, and he did not enjoin it except that there was a foundation for it with him and authorisation from the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam.'"
[Sharh Mukhtaar as quoted from him in al- Ibdaa of Shaykh Ali Mahfooz p80]

FatimaAsSideqah
05-04-2007, 02:17 PM

It is every Muslim's duty to show people the truth in anticipation that they would follow it clearly and evidently and certainly not blindly. For truth is as clear as the sun in broad daylight. This brief introduction is due to what we have been hearing recently, as far as the celebration of the birthday of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) is concerned.

Falsehood is regretabally attributed to such a noble event and mischief is stated as to the illegitimacy of celebrating such an esteemed occasion. Thus leaving ordinary people in a state of confusion not knowing whether they should partake in celebrating the event or otherwise. This is so, since the people who raise objection to the Meelad feel that they are at liberty to fabricate events in Islamic history and the traditions of our Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).

Imam Al-Hafiz Al-Suyuti (radi Allahu anhu) in his famous book "Al-Hawii Lil-Fatawii" allocated a special chapter on that topic and named it "The Excellence of Objective in Celebrating the Mawlid" where he said: The question under consideration is what the verdict of the Shari'ah on celebrating the Holy Birthday of the Noble Prophet during the month of Rabbi-ul-Awwal. From the point of view of Shari'ah is this a praiseworthy action or a blameworthy one? And do those who arrange such celebration receive blessings or not?

He said: "The reply to this question is that in my view the Meelad Shareef (Celebration of the Birthday of the Noble Prophet - sallal laahu alaihi wasallam - is in fact such an occasion of happiness on which people assemble and recite the Holy Qu'ran to the extent that is easy. Then they relate the prophecies concerning the appearance of the Noble Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) that have been transmitted in Ahadith and Athar, and the miraculous events and signs that took place on his birth. Then food is set before them and according to their desire they partake thereof to satisfaction. This festival of celebrating the birthday of the Noble Prophet is a Bid'ah Hasanah (good innovation) and those arranging it will get blessing, since in such a celebration is found the expression of joy and happiness at the greatness and eminence of the Noble Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) and his birth".

Even Ibn Tay'miah said in his book "Necessity of the Right Path", p. 266, 5th line from the bottom of that page, published by Dar Al-Hadith, the following: "As far as what people do during the Meelad, either as a rival celebration to that which the Christian do during the time of Christ's birthday or as an expression of their love and admiration and a sign of praise for the Noble Prophet, Allah will surely reward them for such Ij'tiha". He then said: "Although Meelad was not practised by (Salaf), they should have done so since there was no objection against it from the Shari'ah point of view".

Fi Amani Allah

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-04-2007, 02:45 PM

InshaAllah read this thread ukhti.:)

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...novations.html

By stating such an ill-fated statement, they have in fact accused the scholars (Ulema) of the Muslim World of committing "evil" innovations, particularly Hadrat Umar (radi Allahu anhu).
That was bid'ah in the linguistic sense, not the sharee'ah way. Allahu A'lam.

FatimaAsSideqah
05-04-2007, 02:47 PM

MashAllah, sister! This will be clear up by confused, InshAllah!

Thanks for post that!

Fi Amani Allah

NobleMuslimUK
05-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I have had this puzzle me a lot, and I have even attended a milad-e-nabi celebration in Karachi, Pakistan. I dont mind them celebrating as long as they dont call it part of Islam as there is no evidence for it in the Quran or Sunnah.
I hope this article helps.

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious the Most Merciful

Indispensable implication of Sunna and caution against innovation

All praise be to Allah who completed the religion for us, perfected the blessing on us and chose Islam as our religion. May the blessings and peace be upon His servant and Apostle, who called upon people to obey his Lord and cautioned against extravagance, innovation and disobedience; And may Allah bless his posterity, his companions and those who follow his footsteps till the Day of Judgement.

I have been acquainted with the article published in the first page of the weekly magazine "Edarat" of the Kanpur, Industrial city of Utter Pradesh in India. The writer alleges that the creed of the Salaf (Early adherents to Islam) does not agree with the Sunna. By this, the writer aims at creating division amongst the Ahl-as-Sunna and encouraging the innovations and superstitions. This attitude, no doubt, is most abominable and dangerous and aims at offending the Religion of Islam and spreading innovations and deviations from the truth. Furthermore, the article concentrates clearly on the subject of celebrating the Prophet's birthday as an excuse to discuss the creed of others. Therefore, I consider it necessary to enlighten the People on this subject. So seeking help of Allah, I say:

It is not permissible to celebrate the birthday of the Apostle (May the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), or somebody else. In fact, it must be stopped, as it is an innovation in the religion. The Apostle of Allah neither celebrated it, nor commanded others to do this for himself. or for any one who died before him amongst the Prophets, for his daughters his wives, or his other relatives. The rightly guided Caliphs the Companions of the Prophet or the successors who rightly followed them did not celebrate this event, nor did any one of the muslim scholars in the centuries before.

They knew the Sunnah of the Prophet best, they loved him more, and followed the Shari'a better than those who came after them. If celebrating his birthday was a good deed, they would have done it.

We are commanded to follow and forbidden to innovate. This is because of the perfection of the Islamic religion and the Sufficiency of what Allah and His Messenger have given us and are accepted by Ahl-al-Sunna wal-jama'at- The Muslim community of the companions and those who followed them in the best way.

It is related to the prophet that he said: He who innovates something in this matter of ours that is not of it, will have it rejected. (Transmitted by Al-Bukhari and Muslim). According to Muslim who reported: whoever does an act which is not in agreement with our matter, will have it rejected. In another tradition the Prophet said: You must keep to my Sunna and of the Sunna of the rightly-guided Caliphs, cling to it firmly... Beware of newly invented matters, for every new matter is an innovation and every innovation is misleading. He used to say in every Friday sermon: The best discourse is the Book of Allah and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad the Apostle of Allah, and the worst matter is that of innovation and every innovation is misleading. Thus, these traditions contain a strong caution against innovations and a warning that such an act is a deviation from the right course. The Prophet warned the people of the gravity of these innovations and of their bad consequences. There are many traditions adduced in this connection.

And the Almighty has said:

...And whatsoever the messenger (Muhammad, saws) gives you, yake it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain ( from it)...(S.59 A.7)

Allah, Most High said:

And let those who oppose the Messenger's (saws) commandment (i.e. his sunnah: legal way, orders, acts of worship, statements, etc.), (from among the sects) beware, lest some Fitnah (disbelief, trials, afflictions, earthquakes, killing, overpowered by a tyrant, etc.) befall them of a painful torment be inflicted on them. (S.24 A.63)

Allah, the Almighty said.

Indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad, saws) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much. (S.33 A.21)

And Allah the Almighty said:

And the first to embrace Islam of the Muhajiroon (those who migrated from Makka to al-Madina) and the Ansar (the citizens of al-Madina who helped and gave aid to the Muhajiroon) and also who followed them exactly (in Faith). Allah is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success. (S.9 A.100)

And Allah, the Almighty said:

This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion (S.5 A.3). This verse decisively indicates that the Almighty Allah has completed the religion for this Ummah, and has showered His blessings on them.

His Prophet passed away only after he had imparted the complete message of Allah to the Ummah as well as his legislations concerning sayings and deeds. He also stressed that all things invented by people and then attributed to the religion of Islam are innovations and to be rejected, even if their inventors did so in good faith.

It is established that the Companions of the Prophet and the righteous successors after them warned the people against innovations as they add to Islam and legislate what is not permitted by Allah, in line with the enemies of Allah such as the Jews and the Christians who added to their religion and innovated what was not allowed by Allah. Moreover, to admit innovation in Islam is incomplete and imperfect. Such a belief is not only an evil but contradicts the following verse: This day, I have perfected your religion for you.... And the sayings of the Prophet which warn us against innovations.

To celebrate the anniversary of the birth of Prophet and the others, means that the Religion is not perfected by Allah (the Glorious, the Almighty) for this Ummah, and the Apostle did not impart to the people what was necessary regarding their religious duties, till these late ones appeared and invented in the religion what is not permitted by Allah, thinking that this would bring them nearer to Allah.

Undoubtedly, this is a great danger and is tantamount to criticzing Allah the Almighty and the Prophet (Peace be upon him): whereas Allah the Almighty has already completed the religion and perfected His grace, and the Prophet (peace be upon him) has conveyed the message openly and informed the Ummah of all such ways that will lead them to the Paradise and save them from Hell-fire.

According to an authentic Hadith, on the authority of Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-As the Messenger of Allah said: Allah Ta'ala (the Almighty) did not send a Prophet but obliged him to lead his people to the best way which is known to him, and warn them against the worst which is known to him. (Transmitted by Muslim).

It is well-known that our Prophet is the best of all the prophets, the last and the most perfect of them regarding the way he conveyed the message and advised his people.

Had the celebration of Milaad been an act of Religion chosen by Allah for His servants, the Prophet would have either explained that to his people, would have celebrated it during his life, or his Companions would have done it. As these did not happen, it becomes clear that Islam has no concern with Milaad. On the contrary, it is one of the innovations against which the Prophet has warned his people as mentioned earlier.

A host of scholars have not only rejected the celebration of Milaad but have warned against it in view of the evidences given above.

According to the rule of the Islamic Shari'a all matters regarding legalization or prohibition and all disputes among the people, should be referred to the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (Peace be upon him) in line with the saying of Allah:

A. O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad ), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (and) if you differ in anything amoungst yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger (saws) if you believe in allah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination. (S.4 A.59)

And Allah The Almighty said:

B. And in whatsoever you differ, the decision thereof is with Allah (He is the Ruling Judge). (S.42 A.10)

Referring this issue back to the Book of Allah, we find it ordaining upon us to follow the Messenger of Allah in his Commandments and warns us against what ever he prohibits. Furthermore it tells us that Allah has perfected the religion for the people. So, as long as Milaad is not among the teachings of the Prophet , it cannot be a part of the religion which Allah has perfected for us and asked us to adhere to by following the Prophet.

Again when we refer this issue back to the Sunnah, of the Messenger of Allah , we do not find either the Prophet or the Companions doing it by themselves or asking others to do it, So it becomes evident that Milaad, is not a part of religion, rather one of innovations and blind immitation of the people of the book, i. e. the Jews and the Christians in their festivals. With this argument in mind, it becomes crystal clear for everyone having the least insight and inclination towards truth and justice, that celebrating any birthday has nothing to do with Islam. It is rather among the innovations which Allah and His Messenger warned against emphatically.

A wise man must not be deceived by seeing a large number of people doing it throughout the world because the truth is known and recognized by the evidences of Shari'a and not by the acts of a great number of people.

Allah Ta'ala (the Almighty) says regarding the Jews and the Christians:

And they say, "None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian." These are their own desires. Say (Muhammad, saws) "Produce your proof if you are truthful." (S.2 A.111).

And the Almighty also said:

And if you obey most of those on earth, they will mislead you far away from Allah's Path. They follow nothing but conjectures, and they do nothing but lie. (S.6 A.116)

Most of these innovations, in addition to their innovatory nature, also do not usually escape from a number of other evils, such as mixed gatherings of men and women, songs accompanied by musical instruments. drinking intoxicants, narcotics and the like. They may also involve the worst thing i. e. the greatest Shirk, through showing exaggeration in the Messenger of Allah and other saints and through praying to him, invoking his help or believing that he knows what is hidden and all similar claims which render a believer as an infidel. It is authentically reported that the Messenger of Allah has said: Beware of extravagance in the Religion: It has caused the people before you to perish. He also said: Do not lavish praise on me as the Christians did with the son of Maryam. I am just a bondman. So Simply say: The bondman of Allah and His Messenger (Transmitted by Bukhari).

It is curious to note that a great many people partcipate most actively in these celebrations and defend them vehemently, while they sit back from attending the obligatory forms of worship such as daily and friday prayers. They are not even ashamed of this, nor do they realize that they are committing a great evil.

Undoubtedly, this shows the weakness of their faith, their short-sightedness, and the deeply ingrained rust on their hearts because of sins and disobedience. We ask Allah's protection for us and for all the Muslims.

It is even more astonishing to note that some people believe that the Messenger of Allah is present at Milaad. Consequently they stand to greet and Welcome him. That is not only a sheer lie but a worst form of ignorance, as the Prophet shall niether come out of his grave before the Day of Resurrection, nor shall he meet the people or attend their meetings. Instead, he shall remain in his grave till the Day of Resurrection while his soul rests at the highest of the high with his Lord in the most exalted and highest place.

Allah Ta'ala (The Almighty) Says:

After tht, surely, you will die. Then (again), you will be ressurrected on the Day of Ressurection. (S.23 A.15 & A.16)

And the prophet said: I am the first one to rise from the grave on the Resurrection Day and I will be the first intercessor and the first one whose intercession is to be accepted.

The aforesaid evidences from the Quran and Hadith prove beyond doubt that the dead people will come out of their graves only on the Day of Resurrection. All the scholars of Islam agree upon this. A Muslim should be aware of these things and must not be easily misled by the innovations and the superstitions created by the ignorant people with no authority from Allah at all.

As for offering the blessings and greetings (Salat and Salam) to the prophet (peace be upon himl, they are among the most prefered and virtuous deeds in accordance with the saying of Allah:

Allah sends His Salat (Graces, Honours, Blessings, Mercy, etc.) on the Prophet (Muhammad, saws) and also His angels too (ask Allah to bless and forgive him). O you who Believe! Send you Salat on (ask Allah to bless) him (Muhammad, saws), and (you should) greet (salute) him with the Islamic way of greeting (salutation i.e. As-Salaamu-Alaikum). (S.33 A.56)

The Prophet has said: Whosoever sends blessings on me one time, Allah sends blessings on him ten times.

It is prescribed on all times, particularly at the end of each prayer. It is held obligatory at last Tashahud of each prayer by most of the scholars. It is strongly required at a number of occasions such as immediately after Adhaan, at the mention of the name of the Prophet , during the day of Friday and the night preceding it according to a host of Ahadith.

This is what I wanted to emphasize regarding this issue. I hope it will satisfy everyone whom Allah has shown the light.

How sad it is to see some devoted Muslims, known for their strength of faith and love for the Prophet organizing such innovatory celebrations.

Let us ask such people: "Tell us, if you belong to Ahl-as-Sunna and follow the Prophet , whether he himself or one of his Companions or their Successors did this or is it no more than a blind following of the enemies of Islam from among the jews and the Christians and the like?"

The love of the Prophet is not reflected by the celebration on his birthday, but by obeying him, believing in his teachings, keeping away from what he prohibited and by worshipping Allah in the way he prescribed for us.

It is also reflected through offering Salat and Salam to him from time to time, particularly at the mention of his name and during prayers.

The *******yya, as the writer tends to put it, are not new in rejecting all such innovations. Their creed is to hold fast to the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger : to follow his footsteps and those of his rightly guided successors: to believe and practice what was propounded by the virtuous predecessors and the Imams of learning and guidance who were capable to issue religious injunction concerning the knowledge of Allah, and His attributes of perfection and dignity as shown in the Glorious Book and the authentic traditions of the Prophet and as wholeheartedly accepted by his companions. The *******yya believe in them, the way they are reported without any alteration, personification, examplifying or negation of such attributes. They stick to the way of successors and their followers from among the people of learning, faith and piety. They believe that the foundation of the faith is to bear witness that there is none to be worshipped except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah. To them, this is the root of faith and one of its most exalted branches as well.

They know in accordance with the consensus of the muslims, that this root requires knowledge, acknowledgement and practice.

It implies that none is to be worshipped except Allah the Almighty. Who has no associates at all. It further implies the negation of worshipping any other except Him. It shows why jinn and mankind were created; why the Messengers were sent and why the Books were revealed.

In addition, Ibada (worship) is not only complete submission and love but also complete obedience and veneration as well. Islam is the only religion prescribed by Allah and disseminated by the prophets and nothing, save it, is acceptable to Allah whether in the past or the present. The one who submits his will to Allah as well as to someone else beside Him is a Mushrik (polytheist). The same is true for the one who prays to Allah and someone else beside Him. As for the one who does not submit to Him, he is arrogant concerning his duties towards his Creator.

Allah the Almighty Says:

And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): "Worship Allah (alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Taghut (all false deities etc., i.e. do not worship Taghuts beside Alah)." (S.16 A.36)

Thus the creed of the *******yya is based upon fulfillment of witnessing that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah and completely abandoning all innovations, superstitions and whatever goes against the Shari'a.

This is what Shaikh Muhammad bin Abdul Wahhab - may Allah have mercy upon him - believed and invited others to believe. Whoever accredits to him anything contrary to it, does not only lie but commits a great sin and claims what is totally unfounded. He will, no doubt, receive what Allah has promised to all the fabricators of lies.

The Shaikh has shown - through a series of his well-known treatises and scholarly books on the topic of the Declaration of Unity: La ilaha ill' Allah. - that no one deserves worship except Allah the Almighty and that this type of worship should be devoid of all sorts of SHIRK whether big or small. Anyone who is aware of these writings, his way of preaching and calling people to Allah and of the way of his pupils and disciples, can easily find out that his approach was not different from that of our virtuous predecessors, the great Imams of learning and guidance. Indeed, he has propounded what they did throughout their lives concerning the worship of Allah Alone and leaving all innovations and superstitions aside.

It is in no need of any addition after what Allah and His Prophet have ordained and what the Ahl-al-Sunnah Wal' Jama'at, from among the Companions, the Successors and their followers have already received. To forbid celebrating the birthday of the Prophet due to its innovative nature in addition to the signs of extravagance and Shirk normally associated with it, is not un-lslamic orderogatory to the Prophet . Instead, it is an act of obedience as the Prophet himself said: Beware of the extravagance in matters of religion. Those before you have perished because of extravagance in the matters of religion.

Again he said: Do not lavish praise on me as the Christians did with the son of Maryam. I am but a bondman. So simply say: "Slave of Allah and His Messenger".

This is what I wanted to point out regarding the aforesaid article.

May Allah help us and all the Muslims to understand His religion, to continually confirm us on it, stick to Sunnah and keep away from the innovation. Indeed He is Generous and Kind.

And May Allah Shower His blessings and mercy upon our prophet Muhammad, his posterity and his Companions.

ABDUL AZIZ BIN ABDULLAH BIN BAZ

GENERAL PRESIDENT,

THE PRESIDENCY OF ISLAMIC RESEARCH, IFTA, DAWA AND INSTRUCTION.

- Qatada -
05-05-2007, 06:26 PM

But brother nobleMuslim, what would be their intention when celebrating it then? Since Allaah's Messenger (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) represents Islaam. :) And an act of worship is something which should inwardly or outwardly draw one closer to Allaah, and it can only be according to the Sunnah of Allaah's Messenger and his companions.

Now if these people are celebrating his (peace be upon him)'s birthday, what really is their intention? Is it to draw closer to Allaah? If it is, it has to be accordace to the Sunnah. If not - then why are they doing this? Because without a doubt, one would say that the reason why they are doing it is because they are pleased with his birth, because that is the birth of this ummah. Yet every innovation is rejected, if it is in added into this religion. And Allaah knows best.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-05-2007, 06:29 PM
^ praising Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and sending peace and blessings upon the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam is indeed islamic and gains people reward.

this is voluntary 'ibada, done to please Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Allah knows best

wa alaikum ussalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Fishman
05-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Celebrating Milaad ul Nabi is something that most Muslims believe in, so it can't possibly be wrong:
Remembering the Prophet's birthday is an act that all `ulama of the Muslim world accept and still accept. This means that Allah accepts it, according to the saying of Ibn Mas`ud related in Imam Ahmad's Musnad with a sound chain: "Whatever the majority of Muslims see as right, then this is good to Allah, and whatever is seen by the majority of Muslims as wrong, it is wrong to Allah."
I won't post the source, since it will probably be deleted (aka censored) for being 'sectarian'.

S_87
05-05-2007, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Celebrating Milaad ul Nabi is something that most Muslims believe in, so it can't possibly be wrong:

I won't post the source, since it will probably be deleted (aka censored) for being 'sectarian'.

this is not a valid point for celebrating. for example -where birthdays came from. pagans right?
and Muhammed :arabic5: said as part of a hadith narrated in Bukhair 'do the opposite of the pagans'.

another hadith- noting the christians also celebrate what they believe to be the birth of Isa Alayhis salam

muhammed :arabic5 said: "You will follow the ways of those nations who were before you, span by span and cubit by cubit (i.e., inch by inch) so much so that even if they entered a hole of a mastigure (lizard), you would follow them." We said, "O Allah's Apostle! (Do you mean) the Jews and the Christians?" He said, "Whom else?"
bukhari

- Qatada -
05-05-2007, 08:10 PM

:wasalamex

Akhi, if we use that logic then refer to this:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) spoke about when he said, "Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings [ar. Tooba. This is a tree in Paradise. So the Prophet (peace be upon him) is giving the good news of Paradise to these strangers.] to the strangers." It was asked, "Who are those strangers, O Messenger of Allah?" He replied, "Those that correct the people when they become corrupt." [Reported by Abu Amr al-Dani, from the hadith of ibn Masoud. It is authentic according to al-Albani.

Another narration says, "Those that correct my sunnah which has been corrupted by the people after me."] In another narration he said in response to the same question, "They are a small group of people among a large evil population. Those who oppose them are more than those who follow them." [Reported by ibn Asaakir. It is authentic according to al-Albani.]

http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...-stranger.html

There is also a saying of Ibn Mas'ood, may Allaah be pleased with him when he said that being the jamaa'ah [group] can be you by yourself.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-05-2007, 08:49 PM

^ akhee does that mean you've deduced, or the scholars have deduced that we are in the time of innovation when the minority is sticking to the sunnah d the majority is astray?

hmm.... interesting bro...

MH-UK
05-05-2007, 09:57 PM

There is a hidden agenda behind it...

...and Allah knows best

IbnAbdulHakim
05-05-2007, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MH-UK

...and Allah knows best
wa alaikum ussalaam

whats that bro :?

Fishman
05-05-2007, 09:59 PM

...and Allah knows best
Behind what? Milaad? How can a festival have a hidden agenda?
:rollseyes

Umm Yoosuf
05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah

Mawlid is not a new practice either, it was celebrated as early as the seventh century (the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and the Salaf), and it is only today that it has become controversial.
Really? What is the evidence for this :?

Readring Ibn Tayymiyah:

He said:

And like this is what some of the people have innovated, either in opposition to the Christian celebration of the birthday of Jesus, or out of love for the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) and in honour of him. And Allaah will reward them for this love and ijtihaad, but NOT FOR THE BID’AH of taking the day of the birth of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) as an eed - this along with the difference of the people as to when he was born. For indeed this (celebration) was not done by the salaf, despite the existence of factors that would necessitate it and the lack of any factors that would prevent them from doing so if it were indeed good. And if this was genuinely good or preferable then the salaf, may Allaah be pleased with them, would have more right to doing so then us, for they had more severe love and honour of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) in following him, obeying him, and following his command, and reviving his sunnah inwardly and outwardly, and spreading that which he was sent with, and performing jihaad for this in the heart, with the hand and upon the tongue. So indeed this was the way of the Saabiqeen al-Awwaleen from the Muhajiroon and the Ansaar, and those that followed them in good.

Concerning the Mawlid (Prophet's Birthday Celebration)
Shaikh ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah on the Mawlid
Author: Shaikh ul-Islam

Ibn Taymiyyah says, "…because the Eeds are legislated laws from amongst the laws, so it is necessary to follow them, and not to innovate them, and the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) had many lectures, treaties, and great events that happened on a number of (documented) days such as the Day of Badr, Hunain, al-Khandaq, the Conquest of Mecca, the occurrence of his hijrah, his entry to Madeenah…and none of this necessitated that these days be taken as days of Eed. Rather this sort of thing was done by the Christians who took the days in which great events happened to Jesus as eeds, or by the Jews. Indeed the Eed is a legislated law, so what Allaah legislates is followed, otherwise do not innovate in this religion that which is not part of it.

And you will find the majority of these (who celebrate the birthday) in ardent desire of these sort of innovations - alongwith what they have of good intention and ijtihaad for which reward is hoped for - but you would find them feeble in following the command of the Messenger, that which they have been commanded to be eager and vigorous in, indeed they are of the position of one who adorns the Mushaf but does not read what is in it or reads what is in it but does not follow it. Or the position of one who decorates the mosques but does not pray in them, or prays in them rarely…

And know that from the actions are those that have some good in them, due to their including types of good actions and including evil actions such as innovation etc. So this action would be good with respect to what it includes of good and evil with respect to what it contains of turning away from the religion in it’s totality, as is the state of the hypocrites and faasiqeen. This has what has afflicted the majority of the ummah in the later times. So upon you is two manners (of rectification):

that your desire be to follow the sunnah inwardly and outwardly, with respect to yourself specifically and those that follow you, and you enjoin the good and forbid the evil.

that you call the people to the sunnah in accordance to ability, so if you were to see someone doing this (celebration) and he were to not leave it except for an evil greater than it, then do not call him to leaving the evil so that he may perform something more evil than this….[a page omitted in which he explains this principle]

So honouring the mawlid, and taking it as a festive season (mawsam) which some of the people have done, there is a great reward in it due to the good intention and the honouring of the Messenger (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) because of what I have previously stated to you - that it is possible that something be good for some of the people and be denounced/considered to be ugly by the strict believer. This is why it was said to Imaam Ahmad about some of the leaders, that he spent 1000 dirhams upon the mushaf or similar to this. So he replied, ‘leave them, for this is better than them spending it on gold (jewellery).’ This despite the fact that the madhhab of Imaam Ahmad was that it is abhorrent to decorate the mushafs, and some of the companions (of Ahmad) interpreted this to mean that the money was spent in renewing the pages and writing. But this is not the intent of Ahmad here, his intention here was that this action had a benefit in it, and it also contained corruption due to which it became abhorrent. But these people, if they did not do this, would have substituted this for a corruption that contained no good whatsoever, for example spending upon one of the books of evil…" [Iqtidaa Siraat al-Mustaqeem 2/618+ my copy has the tahqeeq of Shaykh Naasir al-Aql]

He says in another place of the same book, "there is no doubt that the one who practices these - i.e. the innovated festive seasons - either the mujtahid or muqallid will have the reward for his good intention and the what the action contains of legislated actions, and will be forgiven for what it contains of innovation if his ijtihaad or taqleed contains one of the excuses (that would lift this sin from him)…."

He continues:

"But this does not prevent one from detesting and prohibiting it and to replace it with a legislated action containing no bid'ah.... Just as the Jews and Christians may find benefit in their worship because it is possible that their worship includes an aspect of what is legislated but this does not necessitate that you perform their actions of worship or you report their words because all of the innovations contain evil that outweighs their good, this due to the fact that if their good outweighed the evil then why would the Sharee'ah have disregarded it? So we depend upon the fact that it's sin is greater than it's benefit and this necessitates forbiddance."

He continues:

"And I say: it's sin is removed from some of the people due to the reason of ijtihaad or other than it, as the sin of usury and alcohol (from dates) which has been differed about (by the salaf) is removed from the salaf (who allowed it), then despite this it is necessary to explain it's condition and not to follow those that considered it permissible.... So this is sufficient evidence in explaining that these innovations include corruptions of belief or condition contradicting what the Messenger (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) came with, and that what benefit they contain is marjooh (not to be relied upon) and it not correct to use for objection"

He continues:

"As for what they contain - i.e. these innovated festive seasons such as the Mawlid - of benefit then they are opposed by what they contain of the corruption of innovations that outweigh the benefit, alongwith with what has preceded of the corruptions of belief and state - that the hearts become content with it at the expense of a large number of Sunnahs to the extent that you find that the elite and the general masses preserve this in a way that they do not preserve the Taraaweeh's or the five prayers...." mentioning many more cases.[al-Qawl al-Fasl (pg. 102) of Shaykh Ismaa’eel al-Ansaaree]

A number of points can be seen here:

Ibn Taymiyyah regards the mawlid as a bid’ah which the strict believer is not allowed to follow.
he allows it only for those who would leave this bid’ah for a greater bid’ah.
he states that those practising this, either out of taqleed or ijtihaad, will get reward for their good intentions, but they will get no reward for their practising it.
that they will not get the burden of the sin of the innovation if their taqleed of ijtihaad contains the excuses that would lift this from them.

This topic has being discussed in detail here: http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...n-nabi-13.html

Umar001
05-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I just don't get it, specifing a day or time to an act can be bidah, yet people do specify that they will read the seerah and have a gathering for no other reason but that they think that it's the prophet's birthday.

Argh.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-05-2007, 11:01 PM
may Allah save us all from this confusion and soften our hearts and guide us.

Ameen

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

In the Holy Qur’an Allah Almighty gives a clear order to celebrate and rejoice the raising and coming of the Holy Prophet (saw). In Surah Yunus, (10:58) Allah Ta’ala states
“Say: Because of the( fadl) Blessings of Allah and His (rahma) Mercy you should celebrate (with happiness and pleasure). That is better than what (wealth) they amass.”

In Surah Al Imran, (3:164) Allah Almighty states:
“ Indeed Allah conferred a great favor on the believers when he sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad (saw)) from among themselves, reciting unto them His verses, and purifying them, and instructing them (in) the book and Al-Hikmah of the Prophet (saw) while before that they had been in manifest error”.

In Surah Al-Anbiya, (21:107) Allah Almighty describes the Holy Prophet (Saw) as rahma
“ And We have sent you (oh Muhammad (saw)) but as a Mercy for Mankind”.

“And send salaam on him the day he was born, and the day he dies and the day he wil be raised up to life (again)” (19:15)
If the celebration of birthdays is an innovation and prohibited then why would Allah Ta’ala single out the birthday of Hadhrat Yahyah (a.s)? It is to be remembered that these are the words of Allah (swt) and He is the one who is sending salaam on to His messenger and clearly signifying his birthday as a peculiar and significant day.. If Allah Almighty is ordering mankind to convey these salaams on to Sayyidina Yahya (as) how can one say it is prohibited to do the same for the Holy Prophet (saw) on his birthday who is the last and greatest of all Prophets? A birthday is significant in that a day is singled out for collective worship. One type of salaam is salaam ul-aam, a general one and the other type salaam ul qass which is sent together collectively. Although we are encouraged to send salaat and salaam on the Holy Prophet (saw) every day, having one day in particular means a collective act of worship takes place which is always superior. Indeed salaam can also be viewed as a gift from Allah to His Prophets just as we give gifts to each other on our birthdays. The same commandment has also been given in respect of Sayyinia Isa (a.s) in Surah Maryam.

“And send salaam on me the day I was born and the day I died and the day I shall be rasied alive” (19:33)

The Holy Prophet (saw) also specified his own birthday in the same way. In a Hadith narrated by Abu Qatada Ansari (Allah be pleased with him), he reports that Allah's Messenger (saw) was asked about fasting on Monday, whereupon he said: “It is (the day) when I was born and revelation was sent down to me.” Sahih Muslim, Bk 6, Number 2606.
This Hadith is also reported in by Imam Bahayqi in his “Susnan ul Kubra” (vol. 4, pg. 300 Hadith no 8182, 8259), in the “Sunan” of Imam Nisai and the “Musnad” of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal.
It is clear from this Hadith that the Holy Prophet (saw) was very happy about the day of his birth and so fasted out of gratitude. Fasting is a form of worship, so one can celebrate this day by any form of ibada. One can fast or hold gatherings or provide food to the poor, all being acts of worship.

Before the birth of the Holy Prophet (saw), his father, Hadrat Abdullah (rad) had already died, so a lady slave called Thwaiba was sent to Hadrat Aminah’s house for her help and service. Upon the birth of the Holy Prophet (saw) Thwaiba came running to Abu Lahab, the Prophet’s (saw) uncle, to give the good news of the birth of his nephew. Abu Lahab became extremely happy and raising two fingers pointed to Thwaiba saying “ I free you in thankfulness of the birth of my nephew”. That day was a Monday. When he died he came in the dream of Hadrat Abass (rad) who asked him how he was fairing in the life after death. Abu Lahab replied: “I am in the fire of hell day and night and have no escape except Monday. The punishment is reduced for me and from these two fingers of mine I receive water from which I drink (like a fountain) for I freed Thwaiba on the birth of the Holy Prophet (saw).
This Hadith is in the Sahih of Imam Bukhari, Kitab-ul-Nikah who quotes this from his own Shaykh, Imam Abdul Razzaq who was the student of Imam e Azaam, Abu Hanifah (ra). It is also quoted by Imam Ibn Asqalani in “Fath al bari”, Hafiz Ibn Kateer, Imam Bahaiqui, Imam Sohaili, Imam Baghawi, Imam Qurtubi, Imam Jawzi, Imam Mullah Ali Qari, and Imam Abdul Haq Muhaddith Delhvi (ra).

Abu Lahab was an infidel and one of the greatest enemies of Islam having been cursed in the Holy Qur’an too. Yet despite this he was still was given a favour and benefit from his act. It thus stands to reason that if a man such as Abu Lahab can be blessed then surely those Muslims who celebrate the Milad will receive manifold blessings too.

Unfortunately many people use different arguments to criticize this Hadith. Firstly some critics have argued that since it is an Islamic principle that a pious act done by a kafir is not rewarded in the Hearafter how can Abu Lahab benefit? Imam Razzaq discusses this subject in his “Musanaf” (vol 7 p. 478) as does Imam Abdul Haq Muhaddith Delhvi (ra). They state that this is the qisays of the Holy Prophet (saw) and an exception just reserved for him. Imam Ibn Kateer in “Seerat un Nabawiyyah” (vol. 1 pg 224) states this is because of the fadl and kirama of Holy Prophet (saw) who is given this exception and is reiterated by Imam Suyuti, Imam Shaybani, Ibn Hashim and Imam Baghawi too. Moreover in a Hadith of Sahih Bukhari the Holy Prophet (saw) states that his uncle, Abu Talib will benefit from his intercession which is again part of the ‘qisayse muhammadiyy’

A second criticism leveled at this Hadith is that the event has been narrated in the form of a dream and so loses some of its integrity. This again is not a valid point. This Hadith has been accepted by Imam Bukhari in his Sahih who is one of the greatest muhaddith of Hadith so we cannot object to it. If this dream was not to be accepted then why did he bother to accept it? Moreover this is a narration of Hadrat Abass (rad) and if had considered the dream as unimportant then he too would not have narrated it and rejected it as insignificant. Both of these great men as well as the other scholars mentioned earlier all considered the Hadith as authentic and used it in arguments pertaining to the legality of the Mawlid.

A third criticism is that Hadrat Abass had this dream when he was a not a Muslim and he is quoting something said by another non-Muslim thus querying its authenticity. Again this is not a valid critique. When we take this Hadith as evidence that celebrating the birth of the Prophet (saw) is rewarded , the base of this argument has no link with the aqueeda of Abu Lahab and the information he gives. The evidence is based on the narration of Hadrat Abass (rad). If he was not a Muslim at the time of the dream, he was a Muslim when he reported it! It is part of the Usool of Hadith, legal and juristic principles, that the narrator of Hadith must be a Muslim. Hadrat Abass narrated this dream in his capacity as a Companion of the Holy Prophet (saw) whilst living in Madinah.

The Holy Prophet himself celebrated his Milad. In a Hadith narrated by Hadrat Anas (rad) contained in the Sunan of Imam Bayhaqi, (v.9 p.300 no. 43), (also mentioned by Imam Tabrani, Imam Zahbi, Imam Asqalani in ‘fath ul bari’, and Imam Haythimi) states that the Holy Prophet (saw) sacrificed some animals and did an aqia for himself after the announcement of his Prophethood. Imam Suyuti, commenting on this Hadith states that this was not an aqia done in the traditional sense since his grandfather Abdul Muttalib had already done the aqia of the Holy Prophet (saw) seven days after his birth. Since it is not possible to repeat an act of shariah once it is already done, ie one cannot repeat their prayers once they have already been performed, Imam Suyuti states that the reason for the sacrifice of the animals was an act of thankfulness and a celebration done by the Holy Prophet (saw) for his birth. The Holy Prophet (saw) was thanking Allah for his status as rahmta li lalimeen. Imam Suyuti finally concludes it is mustahab (advisable) for us to celebrate the mawlid in ijtima (collectively) since the Holy Prophet (saw) sacrificed animals and distributed the food and thus we too should have a gathering and distribute food and rejoice in a good manner (‘Husn Maqsid fî `Amal-il mawlid by Imâm Jalâl ad-Dîn Suyûtî, pp. 64-6).
Some critics may argue that since the Holy Prophet’s orginal aiqa was done in the period of jahliyyah he wanted to repeat the aqia to ensure its proper performance. However this is not a valid argument since if acts those acts of shariah performed in the time of jahliyyah needed to be repeated then many why were other similar acts not repeated by the Holy Prophet (saw)? Why for example did he not repeat his nikah to Hadrat Khadija (rad) which was originally done 15 years prior to Prophethood? The nikah had been read by his unlce Abu Talib and the mahr was paid by him too.
Thus it is clearly evident that the mawlid of the Holy Prophet (saw) has its origins and roots in the Holy Qur’an and Sunnah and is a celebration that all Muslims should eagerly rejoice in.

Ma'Salaama

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:29 AM
The Sahaba celebrated Mawlid in a different way to the current way. However the current way it is celebrated by holding feasts etc. cannot be called Bid'ah. Read the below article full og evdiences

The issue of Bid`ah or innovations in religion is a hotly debated one in current times. It has been argued, sometimes with much vigour and polemic that practises in the religion of Islam that were not current at the time of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam or his companions and should be rejected and could even lead to kufr or disbelief. It has been the opinion of the vast majority of the Ulama throughout the ages that there is Bid’ah is of two types, that which is permissible, and that which is not. It is the purpose of this article to reiterate the correct position, that innovations or newly introduced practises in the Din of Islam can not only be permissible, but also rewarded, hopefully providing clarification to the many people who have been confused about the issue.

The Definition of the word Bid`ah

The word Bid`ah in Arabic is derived from the root word Bada`ah, literally meaning to create a new thing without precedence. It is synonymous with the word Khalk that means to create something out of something else. The attributive name Al Badi is also derived from the same root to denote Allah as the Creator of things that had no previous existence. In the Qur'an Allah is Badi ussamawaati wal ard i.e. the Creator of the Heavens and Earth (out of nothing). Therefore, in its literal sense, the word Bid`ah has no negative connotations, it plainly refers to anything that comes into existence that is novel or not previously known.

In the technical sense, in the way it is used in the Shariah it means an addition to the Din of Islam that was not known or practised at the time of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam or his companions.
The concept of Bid`ah in the Qur'an.

The Holy Qur’an, the primary source of Knowledge in Islam, has a most important proof of the permissibility of beneficial introductions into the Din. In surah Al-Hadid 57:16, Allah says:
As for monasticism, they invented it themselves, for we had not enjoined it on them, seeking thereby to please Allah; but they did not observe it faithfully. We rewarded only those who were truly faithful, but many of them were transgressors.

The word ‘invented’ used in the above passage is a translation of the Arabic word Ibtada’uha which literally means ‘they made a Bid’ah.’ The verse tells us that monasticism (Rahbaniyat) was instituted by the followers of the Prophet Isa alayhi salaam after him as a new act, as a Bid’ah, for the purpose of seeking the pleasure of Allah. Allah does not condemn this act but rather tells us that after its adoption it was not followed properly. It is clear that this verse contains an implied permission granted to them for this new act. If one reads the words carefully, it is apparent that if Allah were condemning the new act, then there would be no need to remark that they did not observe it faithfully. Having introduced this new act of monasticism, they should have fulfilled its conditions and requirements to achieve the purpose for which they had adopted in the first place. Instead Allah condemns those who, having adopted monasticism, did not perform it in the proper way: but many of them were transgressors. In fact not only was the new act permitted, but it was also rewarded, as the verse tells us: We rewarded only those who were truly faithful. In the context of the preceding part, this would refer to those who were true believers and fulfilled the conditions of the new act and thus achieving the target of seeking thereby to please Allah.

There is an important point to consider here. The practice of monasticism has been abrogated and cancelled in Islam, but the principle contained in this verse of the acceptability of a new act performed with the correct intention and fulfilling certain conditions is not abrogated, but remains. The new practice introduced for the pleasure of Allah, in the principles of Islamic jurisprudence becomes a Bid’ah of guidance; that which violates the laws of Shari’ah becomes a Bid’ah of misguidance (see later).

The concept of Bid’ah in the Hadith.

It is related from the route of Jarir Ibn Abdullah that the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said:
Whosoever introduced a beneficiary action in Islam will be rewarded for his practice as well as for the practice of the people who follow him, without lessening their reward. Whosoever introduced a bad practice in Islam will take the sin for it as well as the sin of the people who follow him, without lessening their sin. (Muslim).

This hadith which is of sound classification is very clear and unambiguous and is a foundation for proving the validity of good innovations in Islam. The criterion used as to whether or not a new action is accepted is that it should be hasanah, or beneficial. If the action is beneficial then there is an immense reward for it.. New introductions that are bad are punished severely. Scholars of Islam, as will be seen later have derived the conditions for a new act to be considered beneficial or bad.

Although the context of this hadith relates to a specific incident during the time of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam when some companions came forward to offer charity to some poverty-stricken new arrivals at Madinah, the meaning is general. It is not permissible to claim that this Hadith applies only to charity as a general term was used: Whosoever introduced a beneficiary action in Islam. The Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam did not restrict the reward to ‘He who spends in charity.’ It is the rule among the scholars of Islam that if an ayah of hadith was revealed for a specific incident or reason yet a general term were used in it then its application would be general and not restricted to that incident.

Some people translate the word sunnatan as the specific Sunnah of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam himself, instead the general word ‘action’ or ‘practice.’ In other words, whoever revived a Sunnah of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam will be rewarded etc. However this is a gross mistranslation of the Hadith. It is impossible to differentiate such a thing as a good Sunnah, as all the practices of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam were good, and the concept of a ‘bad Sunnah’ for obvious reasons cannot be entertained at all. Therefore it is impossible for this Hadith to apply to the Sunnah of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam.

The authentic Hadith of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam translated as:
Abstain from innovations, for every kind of innovation is a Bid’ah, and every Bid’ah is misguidance and all misguidance leads to hellfire is often used in an attempt to prove that all new things introduced in Islam are forbidden. This Hadith would apparently contradict with that given above, however one must study the whole Hadith of which this is only a portion, and thus read it in context to the rest. One must also interpret this Hadith according to the other evidence from either the Qur’an or Hadith instead of giving a meaning from our own (mis)understanding.

The whole Hadith is:
I command you to have Taqwa, and to be obedient to those appointed leader over you, even if it be an Abysinnian slave. O my companions, those who live after me will, very soon, see a lot of differences among you. Stick to my path and the path of the Rightly Guided Khalifas. Abstain from innovations, for every kind of innovation is a Bid’ah, and every Bid’ah is misguidance and all misguidance leads to hellfire.

This Hadith is a warning about events to come very soon after the Prophet’s sallallahu alayhi wa sallam passing on; events characterised by differences among the companions. The Prophet’s advice was to stick to his path and that of the Rightly Guided Khalifas, indicating that there will be differences of opinion against Hazrat Abu Bakr, Hazrat Umar, Hazrat Usman, and Hazrat Ali, and that when these arise, the people should follow them and also the Sunnah of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam. In fact, the time immediately after the death of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam was a time of great disruption and tribulation for the Muslims. There came several people claiming to be prophets after the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam who fought against Hazrat Abu Bakr Siddique. There were groups of Muslims who denied the paying of Zakat, and there were people who abandoned Islam and challenged the authority of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam, becoming apostates. Hazrat Abu Bakr said he would fight those people who claimed to be prophets, who did not pay Zakat or became apostates. After him came people who denied the Kkalifate of Hazrat Usman, and that of Hazrat Ali. The Khwarij sect came about which fought against Hazrat Ali. In all, it was an extremely volatile time. It is clear that the ‘innovations’ mentioned in this Hadith refer to major disruptions that occurred, including people declaring prophethood after the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam, people denying the paying of Zakat, and the distorted beliefs of the Khwarij. These were the kinds of ‘innovation’ referred to by the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam that were misguidance and therefore leading to Hellfire.

Further evidence for this comes from another sound Hadith related by Ibn Abbas. The word ‘innovation’ used in the Hadith quoted above is a translation of the word Muhdasa, which is derived from the word Ihdas, meaning disruption. The following Hadith gives us the Prophet’s interpretation of this word:
O people, you will be gathered on the Day of Judgement in the same way you were born (naked). The first person to be given the dress of the hereafter will be Hazrat Ibrahim. Some people from my ummah will be brought in front of me, and taken toward hell. I will recognise them and I will say, “These are my companions.” An angel will say, “Don’t you know what kinds of disruption (Ihdasa) they committed after you? Although they embraced Islam in your life, soon after your demise they became apostates and turned towards kufr.
This Hadith of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam therefore defines what sort of innovation in the Din of Islam is a misguidance, that is something major in the fundamentals or belief system of Islam, typical of those innovations that occurred not long after his time.

This argument enables us to understand the following Hadith:
He who innovates something in this matter of ours that is not of it will have it rejected. (Agreed)

The same word Ahdasa is used here which is translated as ‘innovates.’ Using the hadith about the companions sent to Hellfire who committed grave disruptions to interpret the word Ahdasa, the Hadith is also referring to major additions or alterations to the Din of Islam, that are not of it. Another variation of this Hadith related by Muslim is as follows:
He who does an act which our matter is not (in agreement) with, will have it rejected.
The same word Ahdasa is used here which is translated as ‘innovates.’ Using the hadith about the companions sent to Hellfire who committed grave disruptions to interpret the word Ahdasa, the Hadith is also referring to major additions or alterations to the Din of Islam, that are not of it. Another variation of this Hadith related by Muslim is as follows:
He who does an act which our matter is not (in agreement) with, will have it rejected.
This Hadith gives us a criterion by which every new act must be judged, namely that it should not go against the Shariah and be compatible with the Qur’an and Sunnah. Therefore every new act is not condemned but rather should be evaluated on its merits to see whether it is in agreement with the Qur’an and Sunnah.

A final point regarding the interpretation of Hadith needs to be mentioned.. If interpretation is attempted without proper knowledge, one may find apparent contradictions between various Hadith. If one interpreted the last few Hadith as meaning every new act in Islam is a misguidance, this would be in contradiction to the first hadith mentioned about the rewards of introducing beneficial practises into Islam and the punishments for introducing bad practises. All the Hadith mentioned above are of sound classification; in reality, there are no contradictions if the Hadiths are interpreted properly. This is what the great Scholars of Islam have done. By interpreting correctly and with proper knowledge, they have conformed and bridged the meanings between the Hadith. This concept is very well known in the science of Hadith exegesis, for example, takhsis al-amm is a frequent procedure of usul al-fiqh by which an apparently unqualified statement is qualified to avoid the contradiction of another necessary principle.

The concept of Bid’ah according to Scholars of Islam.

The vast majority of the classical Scholars of Islam make a distinction between innovations that are acceptable, that may be called innovations of guidance, and those that are not, that may be called innovations of misguidance. Imam ash-Shafiyy wrote, “There are two kinds of introduced matters. One is that which contradicts a text of the Qur’an, or the Sunnah, or a report from the early Muslims, or the consensus of the Muslims: this is an innovation of misguidance (bid’at dalala). The second kind is that which is in itself good and entails no contradiction of any of these authorities: this is a ‘non-reprehensible innovation’ (bid’a ghayr madhmuma).” (Ibn Asakir, Tabyin Khadib al-Muftari (Damascus, 1347), 97, tr. Abdul Hakim Murad. Similar definitions have been expounded by other great classical scholars, such as Imam al-Bayhaqiyy, Imam an-Nawwawiyy, and Izzudin Ibn Abdus-Salaam and Hafiz Ibn Hajar al-Asqalaniyy, among others. Izzudin Ibn Abdus-Salaam (one of the greatest mujtahids) categorised innovations into five types: the obligatory (wajib), the recommended (mandub), the permissible (mubah), the offensive (makruh), and the forbidden (haram). Quoted in Muhammad al-Jurdani, al-Jawahir al-lu’lu’iyyah fi sharh al-Arba’in al- Nawawiya (Damascus, 1328), 220-1. Among the obligatory innovations Ibn Abdus-Salaam cites the following examples: recording the Qur’an and the laws of Islam in writing at a time when it was feared they would be lost, studying Arabic Grammar in order to resolve controversies over the Qur’an, and developing philosophical theology (kalam) to refute the claims of the Mu’tazilites. Under recommended innovation come activities such as building madrassas, writing books on beneficial Islamic subjects, and in-depth studies of Arabic linguistics. Permissible innovations include worldly activities such as sifting flour, and constructing houses in various styles not known in Madinah. Reprehensible innovations include overdecorating mosques or the Qur’an. The category of forbidden innovations includes unlawful taxes, giving judgeships to those unqualified to hold them, and sectarian beliefs and practices that explicitly contravene the known principles of the Qur’an and Sunna.
Innovations of Guidance and Innovations of Misguidance.

With the concept of Bid’ah being clarified somewhat, the reader may want to know what practices fall with the domains of innovations of guidance, which are permissible and rewarded, and innovations of misguidance, which are forbidden and punishable. For innovations of guidance, it would be fair to say that every single Muslim practices these innovations, knowingly or otherwise, and the list is long. A few examples have been mentioned above.
For examples of innovations of misguidance it would be useful to look at the aforementioned Hadith about Bid’ah referring to the time soon after the death of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam when there came false prophets, apostates and people who did not pay Zakat. Therefore, if one were to declare or follow another prophet after the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam this would be an innovation of misguidance. Following on from this, any change in the major beliefs and tenets of Islam would be in the same category. This could include for example, denying the attributes of Allah, denying the existence of angels etc. Any change in the basic practises of Islam would also be an innovation of misguidance, such as reducing or increasing the number of salaats in a day or changing the number of rakaats, fasting on forbidden days. Decreeing those things that are Halaal as Haraam or vice versa would also be an innovation of misguidance as would be adding verses to the Qur’an or falsifying Hadith. As can be seen these are major sins and lead to Shirk and even Kufr. These things are not necessarily far-fetched as they seem as the history of Islam bears witness to a number of stray sects of Islam that adopted certain of these practices and beliefs.

Conclusion

There is an oft repeated concept held by some Muslims today, that any practice in religion that was not done by the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam or his companions should be rejected as it is a misguidance and therefore punishable in Hellfire. However one must go beyond slogans and oversimplifications and reach a correct opinion by examining the facts based upon the Qur’an and Sunnah. As we have seen, new practices are not rejected, but are accepted and even rewarded. However, the practice concerned should be compatible with the dictates of the Shari’ah, otherwise it will be rejected. The opinion of those who condemn any new act without qualification comes from a misunderstanding of the sources of the Qur’an and Hadith, for example by quoting passages out of context or without the true meaning. It is apparent that the classical scholars, who probably had a greater knowledge of Qur’anic or Hadith exegesis than any living person today decreed that newly introduced practices are allowed as long as they do not contradict the Qur’an or Sunnah. This stands in marked contrast to the opinion of many so-called learned people today. They should be careful of condemning an act as Haraam or prohibited if it is not specifically prohibited by the Qur’an or Sunnah, as judging a permissible act as Haraam may lead to Shirk. In fact, the introduction of new things into the deen ensures that Islam can apply itself to any given time and situation, and some new things have even been essential for its preservation and propagation.

By Dr. Zahid Iqbal

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 01:38 AM

...and Allah knows best
even i would like to know - what is the secret?

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Milad un Nabi means Birth of the Prophet(saw). It's usually celebrated in Pakistan.
Mawlid un Nabi (also known as Milad un Nabi in Pakistan), is celebrated in different parts of the world and is not a something that has begun or invented in Pakistan.

Mawlid is also celebrated in Syria, Iran and Yemen.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:49 AM

...and Allah knows best

Even I wonder what that is......:rolleyes:

The only agenda I can think of is for a chance to celebrate the birthday of the Mercy to all mankind.

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mushahida
Mawlid un Nabi (also known as Milad un Nabi in Pakistan), is celebrated in different parts of the world and is not a something that has begun or invented in Pakistan.

Mawlid is also celebrated in Syria, Iran and Yemen.
malaysia also.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-06-2007, 01:53 AM
Mawlid is not a new practice either, it was celebrated as early as the seventh century (the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and the Salaf), and it is only today that it has become controversial. Even Ibn Taymiyya approved of it:

This quote was from the same source as the one in my previous post, which will probably be censored if it is posted.
:sl: Brother Fishman,

I know which site you are taking this from and the fact that they grossly misquote Ibn Taymiyyah, taking one or two lines from an entire page of what he has written about this topic shows what kind of double standards those people have and I have no doubt that the other Scholars they quote are in fact gross misquotations as well. The entire quote from Ibn Taymiyyah, I already posted on this thread above:
http://www.islamicboard.com/729660-post3.html

:sl: Brother IbnAbdulHakim,

^ akhee does that mean you've deduced, or the scholars have deduced that we are in the time of innovation when the minority is sticking to the sunnah d the majority is astray?
According to Sufyaan ath-Thawri (may Allah have mercy on him) who said:
"If you hear that a man in the east is a follower of the Sunnah, then send salaams to him, for Ahl as-Sunnah are becoming very few."

Al-Laalkaa'i in Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahl as-Sunnah.
Bear in mind he died in 161 and at that time the Ahl as-Sunnah were becoming few, what of today over a millenium later? Those that came after him, for example like Ibn Qayyim also attested to the fact that the Ahl as-Sunnah were few, in fact he considered them as the strangers in his time.
Nay, indeed, rather the true Islam - that which the Prophet (peace be upon him) and his Companions were following has become even stranger to the people then when it initially appeared, even though its outward signs and external relics are well known and widespread.

al-Ghurbathu wa al-Ghuraba
This is what Ibn Qayyim wrote in the 8th Century of the Hijrah. We are six centuries after him.

Regarding the verses that were posted:

In Surah Yunus, (10:58) Allah Ta’ala states
“Say: Because of the( fadl) Blessings of Allah and His (rahma) Mercy you should celebrate (with happiness and pleasure). That is better than what (wealth) they amass.”
Ibn Kathir says in Tafsir about this verse: "Let them rejoice in the guidance and the religion of the truth."

“ Indeed Allah conferred a great favor on the believers when he sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad (saw)) from among themselves, reciting unto them His verses, and purifying them, and instructing them (in) the book and Al-Hikmah of the Prophet (saw) while before that they had been in manifest error”.
Ibn Kathir says regarding this verse: "Meaning, from their own kind, so that it is possible for them to speak with him, ask him questions, associate with him, and benefit from him. Just as Allah said: {And among His signs is that he created for them mates, that they may find rest in.}"

In Surah Al-Anbiya, (21:107) Allah Almighty describes the Holy Prophet (Saw) as rahma
Ibn Kathir in his Tafsir of this verse states:
Here Allah tells us that He has made Muhammad a mercy to the `Alamin, i.e., He sent him as a mercy for all of them peoples, so whoever accepts this mercy and gives thanks for this blessing, will be happy in this world and in the Hereafter. But whoever rejects it and denies it, will lose out in this world and in the Hereafter, as Allah says:
Have you not seen those who have changed the blessings of Allah into disbelief, and caused their people to dwell in the house of destruction Hell, in which they will burn, -- and what an evil place to settle in! 14: 28-29
[...]

Abu Ja`far bin Jarir recorded from Ibn `Abbas concerning the Ayah:

(And We have sent you not but as a mercy for the `Alamin. ) He said, "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, mercy will be decreed for him in this world and in the Hereafter; whoever does not believe in Allah and His Messenger, will be protected from that which happened to the nations of earthquakes and stoning.''
“And send salaam on him the day he was born, and the day he dies and the day he wil be raised up to life (again)” (19:15)
What is amazing is that, when those who want to use this verse as a 'proof' for the Milad they cannot see past the fact that Allaah mentioned the day of the birth of Yahya a.s. to the meaning of the entire verse. Ibn Kathir says regarding this verse:
This means that he had security and safety in these three circumstances.

Sufyan bin `Uyaynah said,
"The loneliest that a man will ever feel is in three situations. The first situation is on the day that he is born, when he sees himself coming out of what he was in. The second situation is on the day that he dies, when he sees people that he will not see anymore. The third situation is on the day when he is resurrected, when he sees himself in the great gathering. Allah has exclusively honored Yahya, the son of Zakariyya, by granting him peace in these situations."
This narration was reported by Ibn Jarir, from Ahmad bin Mansur Al-Marwazi, from Sadaqah bin Al-Fadl, from Sufyan bin `Uyaynah.
What I find very very amazing when verses are quoted to 'prove' the Milad is that while these people are quoting them, don't they even think for a second before they interpret the verses to suit their desires, what was the understanding of the Companions and the Salaf of this verse?! Did they understand it to mean the Milad? Or did they understand it to be something else? Allaahu Musta'an.

The advice of Hasan Al Basri who said:
"If a man who met the early Salaf were to be brought back to life today, he would not recognize anything of Islam" - and he put his hand on his cheek, then said, "apart from this prayer - By Allah, anyone who lives in these strange times and did not meet the righteous salaf, and sees the innovator promoting his bid'ah and the one whose main concern is wordly gains calling others to join him; but Allah protects him from that and causes him to long for the righteous salaf, asking about their path and following their footsteps, and he follows their path, he will be compensated with a great reward. Be like that, in sha' Allah."
Al-Bia'h wan-Nahy 'anha by Ibn Waddaah.
Let us indeed try to be like that Insha'Allaah.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-06-2007, 02:02 AM
:sl: Brother Mushahida,

The Sahaba celebrated Mawlid in a different way to the current way.
Before you show us that they celebrated it in a different way Brother, can you please bring us an authentic narration that shows that they celebrated it at all?

However the current way it is celebrated by holding feasts etc. cannot be called Bid'ah.
Brother, I remind you of the saying of Ibn Mas'ud when he saw a group of people doing dhikr with only a slight difference from the way of the Prophet: "Realize that, either you are more knowledgeable than Muhammad and his Companions, or else you are holding on to the tail of misguidance."

What then can be said to those that do something that the Messenger himself never did?!

NobleMuslimUK
05-06-2007, 05:03 AM
This confusion has deeply saddened me as we would have disrespected our beloved Prophet in too many ways and we are supposed to be from his ummah the guided ones.
No boasting but I dearly love the beloved Prophet Mohammad (may Allah's peace and blessing be upon him) and may Allah SWT raise him to the highest of status and may his noble and righteous name never be tarnished.
This celebration of the birthday in the manner it is done is clearly a sectarian thing, deriving from a certain school of thought among the 73 sects that exist.
Just imagine 72 of the 73 sects will be wrong. That is like only 2% of the muslims are on haq (right path). May Allah SWT guide and forgive us all. Ameen

Allah SWT knows best.

S_87
05-06-2007, 11:41 AM
The Sahaba celebrated Mawlid in a different way to the current way. However the current way it is celebrated by holding feasts etc. cannot be called Bid'ah.

had that been the case, as in the sahabahs actually celebrating the birthday of Muhammed :arabic5: there wouldnt have been difference of opinion as to exactly when this was. many say 12th rabiul awwal but they are not sure, theres a few dates given....

and what exactly is beneficial about thugs marching on 12th rabiul awwal shouting Ya Rasulullah? and tacky flags being stuck all over the place? how can this be right that the masjid is more packed than it is for jummah, so people can gather and sing?

yes yes we've all heard the malarky that celebrating the birthday will make us remember muhammed :arabic5: more and love him right? but we remember muhammed :arabic5: 5 times + a day in every single prayer, not just once a tear.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-06-2007, 12:27 PM
assalamu alaikum al-madani :)

According to Sufyaan ath-Thawri (may Allah have mercy on him) who said:
"If you hear that a man in the east is a follower of the Sunnah, then send salaams to him, for Ahl as-Sunnah are becoming very few."

Al-Laalkaa'i in Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahl as-Sunnah.
I read this exact same quote in one of my books, except it had commentary which stated that this was referring to the people of ahlus sunnah in the west and not the whole world as in that time there wasnt much occupation of islam in the west and Allah knows best.

Pk_#2
05-06-2007, 12:32 PM
:laugh:

*waiting for dhaleel*

The Sahaba celebrated Mawlid in a different way to the current way.
:-\

IbnAbdulHakim
05-06-2007, 12:33 PM

those who believe that ahlus sunnah wal jama'ah are few today and not the majority they must think about just what ahlus sunnah is, taqlid is something extremely clear and important yet so misunderstood as is bid'a. the one who thinks there is no bid'a hasanat has gone against many past scholars.

ya ikhwaan you must think!

may Allah guide us all

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Brother, I remind you of the saying of Ibn Mas'ud when he saw a group of people doing dhikr with only a slight difference from the way of the Prophet: "Realize that, either you are more knowledgeable than Muhammad and his Companions, or else you are holding on to the tail of misguidance."
Before writing a piece of evidence please read the above article regarding Bidah which is full of evidences. May Allah(swt) enlighten you.

Ibn Kathir says in Tafsir about this verse: "Let them rejoice in the guidance and the religion of the truth."
Before qutoing a scholar, use your common sense and look at the ayat and read its translation as the Quran is the primary source of knowledge in Islam.

In this particular ayah Allah Ta’ala is commanding that we should rejoice and celebrate His fadl and rahma as much as is possible. The question naturally to be asked is what exactly should we be rejoicing. What does Allah’s fadl and rahma refer to? According to other verses in the Qur’an
(tafseer bil Qur’an) and the explanations given by scholars through their tafseer works of this ayah, the fadl and rahma in this ayah is a direct reference to the Holy Prophet (saw). He was sent to this world and being raised for mankind is the greatest fadl and rahma of Almighty Allah, so we should all celebrate and rejoice this event.
Tafseer-bil-Qur’an:
There are many verses in the Holy Qur’an where Allah Almighty states that the Holy Prophet (saw) is Allah’s rahma and fadl.

In the Holy Qur’an Allah mentions the raising of the Holy Prophet (saw) as a favour, coming to mankind and providing humanity with the right path. His coming took people out of darkness and misguidance bringing them to the light of guidance and Haq. Allah Almighty describes this as a great blessing by Him onto His people. Allah Ta’ala states that if it had not been for His beloved Prophet (saw) we would all have been in a state of loss. In this verse Allah Ta’ala uses the words fadl and rahma in the same sequence as in the verse of Surah Yunus thus denoting Allah’s fadl and rahma are the Holy Prophet. (saw).

Here the Holy Prophet (saw) has been given the name of rahma, it being one of his attributes. Allama Alusi in his tafseer, ‘Ruhul Ma’ an’i states that one of the glorious names of the Holy Prophet is rahma even though his spriritual name is raheem.

It is stated in Surah Al-Jumu’ ah, (62:2)
“It is He who has sent among the unlettered ones a Messenger ( Muhammad (saw)) from among themselves, reciting to them His verse, purifying them, and teaching them the Book and Al-Hikama. And verily they had been in manifest error”.

Here Allah Almighty firstly gives a list of all the qualities of the Holy Prophet (saw) and how he has taken mankind out of darkness. It is through his raising that we received guidance since divine revelation was given through the Holy Prophet (saw) in the form of the Qur’an. He inculcated us with knowledge and belief, and through his Sunnah we learnt how to implant it in our hearts and how to purify our inner selves according the will and pleasure of Allah. If the Holy Prophet (saw) had not been sent to us by Allah Almighty then humanity would have remained misguided, in error and loss, and thus not be in position to receive anything from their Lord.

The first ayah addresses the people who lived in the time of the Holy Prophet (saw), being sent “from among themselves”. They were able to receive these great blessings direct from him sitting with him, conversing with him, observing and receiving much from him. However Allah almighty does not confine this blessing and mercy to those at the time of the Holy Prophet (saw) but states in the next ayah (62:3)

“And (He has sent him, Muhammad (saw) also to) others among them who have not yet joined them (but they will come). And He Allah is the Al-Mighty, the Wise.”

Allah Ta’ala confers his blessing not on only the Companions but on those who are yet to come. This is a reference to all future generations and is explicitly saying that the Holy Prophet (saw) was not just a fadl for those in his time but for all generations to come. Thus there is no limit on the time period of when to rejoice. One may ask how it is possible that those who never saw or heard the Prophet (saw) can still benefit from him? Yet that is up to Allah Ta’ala and His wish and desire since He completes the ayah by saying, “Allah is the Almighty and Wise”. He alone can do as He wishes and bestow what He wishes on whom He wants. There are no limits and boundaries on His power and if He wished for future generations to benefit from the fadl of the Holy Prophet (saw) then so be it. So Allah’s raising of the Holy Prophet is fadalalah.

After explaining the extent and nature of His beloved Prophet’s (saw) mercy, then Allah Almighty says in ayah 4 of surah Jumu’ah:
“That is the Grace of Allah, which He bestows on whom He wills. And Allah is the owner of Mighty Grace”.

“That is the Grace of Allah” is referring to the Holy Prophet (saw), for he is the ‘dhalika fadalulahi’ which has been described in ayah 2 and 3. His being sent to the unlettered peoples providing wisdom is the Grace of Allah. An important point to note here is that the words later on in the ayah, “Allah is the owner of Mighty Grace” are ‘walla dhul fadl’. This is a significant point since Allah is the lord of fadl but He Himself is not the fadl which some commentators incorrectly translate as. He is the Lord of the highest blessing, its owner, its bestowal, and its possessor. For instance if you are an author of a book you are not the book itself. Similarly Allah is sahibul fadl, its possessor. Allah is not the favor itself as that is separate from the bestower. Then who is fadl? The Holy Prophet (saw) is the fadl given in ayah 3 and 4. This is Allah’s bounty. The one who was raised by Him is the fadl. In Arabic grammar the compound nouns, muzaf and muzafilai are always different and can never be the same. For instance in the word rasoolalah, rasool is muzaf and Allah is the Muzafilai. So in the words Dhul fadl – fadl is muzaf and Allah is the muzafilai, thus there can be no doubt that the fadl referred to here is the Holy Prophet (saw).
In surah Al-A’raf, (7:156) it is stated:
“ ..My Mercy embraces all things. That (Mercy) I shall ordain for those who are Muttaqun, and give Zakat, and those who believe in Our evidences and signs”.

So Allah’s Rahma extends to all things, and he ordains this rahma on those who do right things, practice charity and follow the signs of Allah. So who are these people entitled to this rahama? Who will do these practices? Allah Ta’ala states in the next ayah it is those who follow My messenger, who have been sent to the unlettered people. He is the rahma sent to them.
Thus from the above discussion it can be seen that Allah Almighty has placed an ehsan, favour on us and in Surah Yunus we are expressly commanded to celebrate and rejoice this favour which is described as rahma and fadl. Other verses in the Holy Qur’an explicitly define this rahma and fadl as referring to the Holy Prophet (saw) thus celebrating his coming is a Divine command.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-06-2007, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maliha Misam
:laugh:

*waiting for dhaleel*

:-\
assalamu alaikum

sis lol im pretty sure the sahabi's never celebrated mawlid, and im pretty sure that the past scholars declared it a praiseworthy act when it was innovated.

research on it, btw the fatimi empire creating it is a big misconception. if you bros truelly research you will find that an extremely pious caliph was the first person to eva start mawlid.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
*waiting for dhaleel*
The Holy prophet (saw) used to fast every monday and the sahaba asked him wahy and he said because this was the day I was born and revelation was sent down upon me.

I have mentioned this in a previous post.

Pk_#2
05-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Nah i don't celebrate IbnAbdulHakim i was just saying bhai.

Erm Mushahida bro, you can tell me alot, alot of people tell me alot of things, i have read into this, i have never celebrated Milad un nabi for ONE SPECIFIC DAY! he is surely worth more than tht :p

:o|

The prophet (pbuh) died on this day also, what are you celebrating?

I have freinds who say that they just do dhikr and prayers on this day its not really celebrating...But you're meant to do that everyday anyway and remember him and give your salaams to him..etc

Allah (Swt) knows best.

May Allah (swt) guide us all

Peace.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Imam Alusi gives many authorities who quote this same tafsir of Hadrat ibn Abass, including Imam Katir Baghdadi and Ibn Sakir, all whom say rahma is the Holy Prophet (saw)
Imam Jalaludin Suyuti in “Adurul Mansur fil Tafseer” (vol. 4 pg. 330) also quotes Hadrat ibn Abass and says fadl is ilm, referring to the Holy Qur’an and rahma is the Holy Prophet (saw).

Imam Abi Hayan Andulusi in “Tafseer ul Bahrul Muheet” (vol. 5 pg. 171), a great scholar of the 7th and 8th century states the same tafseer of Hadrat ibn Abass (r.a.d) through his famous student Tabil as does Imam Bahaiqui.
Imam ibn Jawzi in “Zadul Maseer” (vol.4 pg. 40) gives various meanings for these two words and implications. He states that although they have different meanings we need to see what it refers to in the context of this verse when Allah has asked us to rejoice. He again gives the same reference of the tafsir of ibn Abass.

Imam Tabrasi, a great Imam of tafseer from the 6th Century in “Majamual Bayan” (vol. 5 pg. 177-178) gives an explanation of this ayah. He comments that in reality Allah is stating to His Prophet (saw) that tell those who rejoice of things of the dunya, if they want to rejoice something then they should rejoice in Allah’s fadl and rahma, that has been bestowed and sent upon them. He says there are two things to be celebrated, the revelation of the Holy Qur’an which is Allah’s fadl and the raising of the Holy Prophet (saw) who is the raama. He also quotes Qutada and Mujahid students of Hadrat ibn Abass (r.a.d) as well Imam Bakr who all state the same
Earlier in part one, in Surah al- Jumu’ua, it was shown how Allah Almighty, after praising the Holy Prophet (saw) and listing his qualities, addresses mankind and states had it not been for the raising of the Prophet (saw) man would have remained in error and it is this raising that is the rahma and grace of Allah.
“That is the Grace of Allah, which He bestows on whom He wills. And Allah is the owner of Mighty Grace”. (62:4)
“Dalika fadulal” the Grace of Allah has been taken to refer to the Holy Prophet (saw) by many scholars of Islam too. In the tafseer of Hadrat ibn Abass (Tanveer ul Miqbass pg 471), ibn Abass gives various meanings to this ayah and in one he includes the meaning of fadalil adheem as being the Holy Prophet (saw) since the Qur’an was revealed on to him.
In his tafseer work “Al – Jalalain”, Imam Suyuti says, regarding the words dhalika fadulal, Allah’s fadl means the Holy Prophet (saw) and whoever came with him.

In the tafseer of Imam Khazin, “lababal tawayl fee ma’anal thanzeel” (vol. 4 pg. 265) under Surah Al- Jumu’ua verse 4, Allah’s fadl is that He sent His beloved Prophet (saw) to us and that is a great favor upon us.
Imam Alusi in Roohul Ma’ani (juz 28, pg. 94 – 95) says dhalika fadalul azeem is an indication towards the Holy Prophet (saw) who came to the unlettered people of this world.

Imam Mahmood Nasafi in his tafseer “Madarak al thanzeel aw haqiaq al thawail” (vol. 4 pg 198) states the coming of the Holy Prophet (saw) in this world and being a prophet for all times and centuries is the fadlulah, the Grace of Allah. Even though future generations will not see him they are entitled to come under the blessing of falyafrahoo. This is reiterated in by Imam Zamakshari in his tafseer work “Al-Kashaf” (vol. 4 pg. 530)
Imam ibn Katheer in his “Tafseer al-Qur’an al-Adheem” (vol. 4 pg. 364) uses similar words, that the fadl referred to in the verse is the coming of the Holy Prophet (saw) to the ummah and whatever is revealed to him for his ummah is the fadl of Allah Almighty.

Imam ibn Jawzi in “Zad-al-Maseer” (vol. 8 pg. 260) says the Holy Prophet’s (saw) coming down to mankind and being raised is the fadl referred to in Surah Al-Jumu’uah. This is also reiterated by Abu Hayan Andulusi in his tafseer works (vol. 8 pg. 265) as well as Shaykh Thantavi Jawhari, a modern Egyptian scholar in his book “Al Jawahir fee Tafseer ul Qur’ an” ( juz 24 pg 174-175)

Shaykh Ahmed al Mustafa al Maraghi in his “Tafseer al Maraghi” (vol.10 pg. 96) states Allah’s great fadl upon mankind is the sending of His beloved Prophet (saw), who is the sanctifier and purifier of all, providing us with the light of guidance.

Imam Tabrasi in his tafseer work “Majmul Bayan” (vol.10 pg 429) also says Allah Almighty has said sending His Prophet (saw) for now and the future is Allah’s fadl upon us.

Thus it is clear from numerous works of great classical and modern scholars the fadl and rahma referred to in the Holy Qur’an is indeed a direct reference to our beloved Prophet (saw) and thus the commandment in Surah Yunus to celebrate the Mercy of the Holy Prophet (saw) is a direct divine commandment to celebrate the mawlid of the Holy Prophet (saw). Part three of this article will discuss different Hadiths that substantiate this view.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Moderators. Please delete the above post by mine as it has been repeated by accident.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Peace.
i dont celebrate it either but at the same time i do not think there is anything wrong with it due to the sayings of the past scholars.

may Allah save us from all this fitnah Ameen

Pk_#2
05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Ameen,

Nah we shouldn't limit a day to our prophet are you kidding me, also the so called milads of our society mostly are parties and dance festivals Astaghfirullah

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Erm Mushahida bro, you can tell me alot, alot of people tell me alot of things, i have read into this, i have never celebrated Milad un nabi for ONE SPECIFIC DAY! he is surely worth more than tht :p

:o|

The prophet (pbuh) died on this day also, what are you celebrating?

I have freinds who say that they just do dhikr and prayers on this day its not really celebrating...But you're meant to do that everyday anyway and remember him and give your salaams to him..etc

Allah (Swt) knows best.

Peace.
The holy Prophet (saw) was born on 12th rabi-ul-awwal and on a monday.

It is reported in Sahih Bukhari that the Holy prophet (saw) arrived in Madinah at 12th Rabi-ul-Awwal and on a monday.
And the people in Madinah sang on this day.

The Holy prophet (saw) had the first revelation sent down to him on a monday.

The Holy Prophet (saw) died on a monday and 12th rabi-ul-awwal and this is a mercy for the Holy Prophet(saw) as he became close to his Lord.

So 12th Rabi-ul-awwal and the day Monday has a huge signifiance so there are many reasons to celebrate this day.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-06-2007, 12:54 PM

It is reported in Sahih Bukhari that the Holy prophet (saw) arrived in Madinah at 12th Rabi-ul-Awwal and on a monday.

The Holy Prophet (saw) died on a monday and 12th rabi-ul-awwal and this is a mercy for the Holy Prophet(saw) as he became close to his Lord.

So 12th Rabi-ul-awwal and the day Monday has a huge signifiance so there are many reasons to celebrate this day.
bro people understand the virtues and beauties of this day however they dont wanna do it simply because the sahabi's never did it.

thats the only reason bro

assalamu alaikum

IbnAbdulHakim
05-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Ameen,

Nah we shouldn't limit a day to our prophet are you kidding me, also the so called milads of our society mostly are parties and dance festivals Astaghfirullah

most people do it on a random day sis, only a few people do it on that exact day, the main intention is to send peace and blessings upon our beloved sallallahi alaihi wasallaam.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Mawlid is of course not compulsory to celebrate and I am not saying it is neccessary.

However, to say that Mawlid is Bidah, Shirk or Kufr is a wrong thing and can only be said by people who lack knowledge and open-mindness.

Mawlid is a very significant day and The people of Ansar celebrated this day and sang with drums as it is a day that the Holy Prophet (saw) arrived in Madinah.

There are many blessings regarding this day and we should celebrate it as Allah(swt) sent salaam on the day hazrat Yahya (as) was born. We people are now living in modern times and it is dificult to always send salaam regurlaly on the Holy Prophet (saw). So Mawlid is a chance to rejoice and send salaams and remember the Holy Prophet (saw) and to take a holiday.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Ameen,

Whoever limits a day to the Holy Prophet (saw) is an ungrateful, misguided person.

Whoever celebrates the Mercy on the Holy Prophet (saw) on day on which many blessings happened is a blessing for that person.

Whoever celebrates Mawlid in an inappropiate way like dancing etc. is definently wrong and is a sin. We should pray nafl, fast, decorate our houses but never let a toe go out of the line of Shariah.

Umar001
05-06-2007, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
bro people understand the virtues and beauties of this day however they dont wanna do it simply because the sahabi's never did it.
Can you narrate please the virtues and beauties that the prophet peace be upon him ascribed to this day?

Mawlid is a very significant day and The people of Ansar celebrated this day and sang with drums as it is a day that the Holy Prophet (saw) arrived in Madinah.
If I do believe that the song was sang on that day, which I dont think it was but Allah knows best, then plesae plesae think about it, any chance that they could be singing because the prophet arrived and not to do with his bday?

There are many blessings regarding this day and we should celebrate it as Allah(swt) sent salaam on the day hazrat Yahya (as) was born. We people are now living in modern times and it is dificult to always send salaam regurlaly on the Holy Prophet (saw). So Mawlid is a chance to rejoice and send salaams and remember the Holy Prophet (saw) and to take a holiday.
But we are supposed to send salam on the Prophet more than 5 times a day brother!

Furthermore to specifically outline a time without reason except that you think there's a virtue or something to it then that's not wrong as the prophte would have told us.

Assalamu Alaikum
If the celebration of birthdays is an innovation and prohibited then why would Allah Ta’ala single out the birthday of Hadhrat Yahyah (a.s)? It is to be remembered that these are the words of Allah (swt) and He is the one who is sending salaam on to His messenger and clearly signifying his birthday as a peculiar and significant day.. If Allah Almighty is ordering mankind to convey these salaams on to Sayyidina Yahya (as) how can one say it is prohibited to do the same for the Holy Prophet (saw) on his birthday who is the last and greatest of all Prophets?
Wa Aleykum salam bro,

The verse doesn't just talk about his birth:

And peace on him on the day he was born, and on the day he dies, and on the day he is raised to life

According to that logic, are we going to send salaams when yahyaa died, let's have a dhikr circle?

What about when he is raised up, we are going to stand on the day of Judgement when we are raised up and have a celebration?

The same commandment has also been given in respect of Sayyinia Isa (a.s) in Surah Maryam.

“And send salaam on me the day I was born and the day I died and the day I shall be rasied alive” (19:33)
I dont know what translation you are using, but this single verse has put me off reading the rest, reason being that I have never ever ever seen verse 33 or the verse of Yahyaa say 'SEND' subhanAllah, furthremore it doesnt say died.

:enough!: :enough!:

siFilam
05-06-2007, 01:32 PM

many people think that only Salafi prohibit Milad-un-Nabi. actually, the mainstream Ulema are against this practice.
These are from different Ulema:
http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...cb855714202b88
http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/Fatwah-Milad.htm
http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...main_cat_id=13

another problem is that a simple innovation leads to further sins. for example in one country women sign naats or nasheeds about our Beloved Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) on TV.

wasalam
-SI-

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Can you narrate please the virtues and beauties that the prophet peace be upon him ascribed to this day?

If I do believe that the song was sang on that day, which I dont think it was but Allah knows best, then plesae plesae think about it, any chance that they could be singing because the prophet arrived and not to do with his bday?

But we are supposed to send salam on the Prophet more than 5 times a day brother!

Furthermore to specifically outline a time without reason except that you think there's a virtue or something to it then that's not wrong as the prophte would have told us.

Wa Aleykum salam bro,

The verse doesn't just talk about his birth:

And peace on him on the day he was born, and on the day he dies, and on the day he is raised to life

According to that logic, are we going to send salaams when yahyaa died, let's have a dhikr circle?

What about when he is raised up, we are going to stand on the day of Judgement when we are raised up and have a celebration?

I dont know what translation you are using, but this single verse has put me off reading the rest, reason being that I have never ever ever seen verse 33 or the verse of Yahyaa say 'SEND' subhanAllah, furthremore it doesnt say died.

:enough!: :enough!:
Point 1: Read my post before his

Point 2: All these things happened on the same day, it can't be just luck. Allah (swt) made all these things happen on one blessed day. They did sing and with drums if you read Sahih al Bukhari

Point 3: We are supposed to send salaam on the Holy Prophet (saw) regurlaly and it is a great nafl. It should be done more than five times a day but we aren't capable of that so Mawlid is a good oppurtunity

Point 4: Allah (swt) is sending salaam on the day he was born, died and ressurected. As in the Quran it says peace be upon the day he was born. The Quran is Allahs speech so it means his is sending peace by saying peace be upon him the day he was born.

If you look into it at depth then you will understand Insh'allah.

I hope I have relieved your doubts. If you don't want to celebrate it then don't, as it is not neccessary but to say it is wrong is a lack of knowledge.

05-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I haven't read all the replies but we should look at the prophet (saw) and the tabi3een and see what they did- Is there any proof to say that they celebrated the prophet's (saw) birthday?

We should "refrain from that which is harmless from fear of falling into that which is harmful", for bid3ah is a great evil

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by siFilam

many people think that only Salafi prohibit Milad-un-Nabi. actually, the mainstream Ulema are against this practice.
These are from different Ulema:
http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...cb855714202b88
http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/Fatwah-Milad.htm
http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...main_cat_id=13

another problem is that a simple innovation leads to further sins. for example in one country women sign naats or nasheeds about our Beloved Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) on TV.

wasalam
-SI-
Either Salafis or deobandis prevent it as you can see from the Urls.

The Grand Muft of Saudi Arabia is of course a salafi and the first url looks deobandi to me.

I totally agree with the point the sunni alaam says in the second url.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rose_Ice
for bid3ah is a great evil

I hope one of my posts which describes Bidah in depth will enlighten you.

05-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I cant remember the exact hadith but its something like this: =#
"Whoever invents a lie against Muhammad (saw) let him take his place in the fire"

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rose_Ice
I cant remember the exact hadith but its something like this: =#
"Whoever invents a lie against Muhammad (saw) let him take his place in the fire"
I know that hadith but if you look at the full hadith and in its proper context you will understand.

I have explained that hadith in that article.

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Articles supporting Mawlid

* The Religious and Legal status of the Birthday of the Holy Prophet (saw) In light of the Qur’an and Sunnah By Ghazalah Hassan Qadri ([http://www.minhajsisters.com/home/ar...haj?dir=&id=56 Part One]) ([http://www.minhajsisters.com/home/ar...haj?dir=&id=55 Part Two]) ([http://www.minhajsisters.com/home/ar...haj?dir=&id=54 Part Three])
*[http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543944 Al-Azhar Fatwa on validity of Mawlid]
*[http://islamicsupremecouncil.org/bin...mads_bday.html Mawlid an-Nabi: The Celebration of Prophet Muhammad's (s) Birthday By Professor [[Sulayman Nyang]], Ph.D. ]
*[http://www.abc.se/~m9783/n/tufm_e.html Rebuttal to Mufti Taqi Usmani's Fatwa by Shaikh GF Haddad]
*[http://web.mac.com/jawziyyah/iWeb/Th...les/Mawlid.pdf Shaikh Abdullah bin Bayyah's Fatwa on the Mawlid]
*[http://www.livingislam.org/n/mwld-qrd_e.html Shaikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi's Fatwa]
*[http://www.**************/resources/...A00000507.aspx Should we celebrate Mawlid? by Dr. `Isa al-Mani` al-Humairi]
*[http://www.mawlid.ca/Topics_questions_on_mawlid.htm Ten Proofs from Qur'an and Sunnah that Celebrating Mawlid is accepted in Shariah ]
*[http://www.************/seasonsjourn...nal_Mawlid.pdf The Blessed Mawlid by [[Imam Zaid Shakir]]]
*[http://www.wimnet.org/articles/eid-e-milaad.htm The Celebration of Eid-e-Milaad-un-Nabi by PROF. SHAH FARIDUL HAQUE]
*[http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.a...nID=q-20524212 Why do Some Sunni Ulema - like the Deobandis - Prohibit the Mawlid? by Shaikh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari]

------
05-06-2007, 01:57 PM
We should "refrain from that which is harmless from fear of falling into that which is harmful", for bid3ah is a great evil

Allaahu Aalim, this thread is falling into sectarian discussions. I vote it should be closed.

Umar001
05-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Point 1: Read my post before his
Your post doesnt have the prophet peace be upon him mentioning virtues, not like, fasting on this night will be the same as such and such, or this day is as good as 4 months or anything.

He according to you was born on Monday 12, according to Bukhari I have not seen the hadith, he got to Madinah on monday 12, and he died, though I dont know if thats a good thing. So two things which one according to you happend on the monday 12, the other I have yet to see bukhari mention it.

Yet out of all this the Prophet never clearly told us to have special meetings on Monday the 12?

Point 2: All these things happened on the same day, it can't be just luck. Allah (swt) made all these things happen on one blessed day. They did sing and with drums if you read Sahih al Bukhari
About two things happend, not hundreds. And I cant find it, please aid me in the search.

Point 3: We are supposed to send salaam on the Holy Prophet (saw) regurlaly and it is a great nafl. It should be done more than five times a day but we aren't capable of that so Mawlid is a good oppurtunity
The prophet said establish prayers, in the prayer we send salams on him, the prophet also made dhikr and taught advise people to pray nafl, but instead of that, we rather do something the prophet never advised us, and if it is claimed he did, then even if he did he stressed more the prayer, so we say 'We are not capable let us just set a side a day and instead of struggling to pray extra prayers which the prophet did and reccomended we rather should sit and single out a day which the prophet didnt do or reccomend'

Point 4: Allah (swt) is sending salaam on the day he was born, died and ressurected. As in the Quran it says peace be upon the day he was born. The Quran is Allahs speech so it means his is sending peace by saying peace be upon him the day he was born.
What translation were you using bro? Cos that had a command, it said 'Send' anyhow thers a difference between Allah sending salams and Allah telling us, i dont think any of us can send salam upon anyone on judgement day.

If you look into it at depth then you will understand Insh'allah.

I hope I have relieved your doubts. If you don't want to celebrate it then don't, as it is not neccessary but to say it is wrong is a lack of knowledge.
Please be patient with me. :)

Mushahida
05-06-2007, 02:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Your post doesnt have the prophet peace be upon him mentioning virtues, not like, fasting on this night will be the same as such and such, or this day is as good as 4 months or anything.

He according to you was born on Monday 12, according to Bukhari I have not seen the hadith, he got to Madinah on monday 12, and he died, though I dont know if thats a good thing. So two things which one according to you happend on the monday 12, the other I have yet to see bukhari mention it.

Yet out of all this the Prophet never clearly told us to have special meetings on Monday the 12?

About two things happend, not hundreds. And I cant find it, please aid me in the search.

The prophet said establish prayers, in the prayer we send salams on him, the prophet also made dhikr and taught advise people to pray nafl, but instead of that, we rather do something the prophet never advised us, and if it is claimed he did, then even if he did he stressed more the prayer, so we say 'We are not capable let us just set a side a day and instead of struggling to pray extra prayers which the prophet did and reccomended we rather should sit and single out a day which the prophet didnt do or reccomend'

What translation were you using bro? Cos that had a command, it said 'Send' anyhow thers a difference between Allah sending salams and Allah telling us, i dont think any of us can send salam upon anyone on judgement day.

Please be patient with me. :)
Three great, enormous things happened on this day.

Point I was trying to make: Allah does not command send but is sending so if Allah (swt) is sending then why don't you.

I can't find the hadith at the moment for the sake of an internet forum but I have read it in Sahih al Bukhari and Inah'allah if you read the whole of Bukhari shareef one day then you will see it.

I have given answers to all these things in the long posts before anyway.

I am posting this for your ease.

- Qatada -
05-06-2007, 02:14 PM

Akhi i dont think theres any authentic narration which states that the Prophet sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam was born on 12th of Rabbi ul Awwal, however there is an authentic hadith which states that he fasted on a Monday.

The reason why its accepted that he was born on 12th is the view of Ibn Isshaaq, and he states it in his famous Seerah. And the reason why many muslims accept that view is because of his authority, yet he hasn't mentioned no narration or sanad [chain of narration] to support that. And Allaah knows best.

- Qatada -
05-06-2007, 02:23 PM

I think the thread might turn sectarian, so we'll have to close it. Sorry.

We got other threads related to this which you can check out insha Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/recycle-...-nabi-s-w.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...d-un-nabi.html

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-08-2007, 10:43 AM

So if most Muslims start fornicating, it will become halaal?:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.