/* */

PDA

View Full Version : which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)

جوري
05-06-2007, 12:00 AM
which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)
From what you have learned on comparative-- which religion would you subscribe to, if you weren't already set in your ways...
what appeals to you the most about it? and why?
What is standing in your way from becoming a fully practicing member?

peace!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-06-2007, 12:32 AM
:sl:

I assume what you mean, a belief other than what they believe. In other words if they had to choose a believe other than what they believe today, which would they find to be the most compelling.

For example I am Muslim. I will die Muslim. but if for some reason Islam no longer existed and I had to choose a belief other than Islam which would it be?

Am I understanding you correctly?

جوري
05-06-2007, 12:39 AM
That is exactly what I mean-- yes.. I notice some of our dear members seem knowledgeable in various religions.... yet don't subscribe to any.. and so I wondered what religion would they subscribe to if they weren't set and comfortable in just being agnostics or theists and why it appeals to them over others.. BTW just for all members to see the poll results akhi would you mind adding one more stating (I just want to see the poll results)? lol

thank you

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
i honestly can't say because i can't imagine choosing any religion. i've never belonged to one and i basically don't care for organized religion, or see its neccessity.
having said that, there is much that i like in judaism and islam. i like the fact that they are monotheistic (because i am). i like the way there is constant awareness of god as you go about your daily activities. i like the fact that both religions speak to the spirit as well as to the intellect and both emphasize learning ove dumb obedience. i like the way both are very much an entire way of life.
since i have been on this forum, i have learned a lot about islam and the more i've learned the more interesting it is.
there are also many things i like about sikhism.
but i am reasonably sure that i will die what i have always been - an agnostic. i don't think you need to have a religion to worship god.
what keeps me from being a member?
mainly because i see no need to be. :statisfie
both use fear of punishment and promise of reward as motivation and i don't like that. also personally, i don't believe in an afterlife because nothing in my experience has indicated its existence. i base my beliefs on my own personal experience. if i did believe in it, i could not imagine that only if you belonged to a specific religion would you gain entrance in to paradise, as held by islam. (a well as christianity).
i also don't like the fact that islam, like christianity, claims to be The One and Only Truth and is a proselytizing religion. i find that rather arrogant and offensive in itself.
altho i must say that muslims are much, much less aggressive about it!
oh! and i could never join a religion that believed that music was sinful and evil, since music is one of the things that has brought me closer to god.
p.s. i also like a number of things about sikhism.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
I think for those of us who are reverts, our choice would be that we reverted from. As most of us were quite comfortable in our former beliefs and reverted only because we found the truth, not because our former belief was shown to be wrong.

Immediatly prior to reverting I was an Agnostic, who followed the basic life philosophy of Buddhism for almost 40 years. Prior to that for about 25 years I was Christian.

So to work backward I would say that if Islam had not found me I would be Buddhist.

جوري
05-06-2007, 01:13 AM
I think the difference between someone who believes in G-D and someone who believes in G-D but subscribes to a religion is really in the rituals preformed out of love for the creator and to give constant daily thanks... Many Agnostics I have no doubt and have known quite a few give to charity.. the difference I find is in whom you pledge it to. I am sure everyone gets some satisfaction and sense of fulfillment perhaps some do it to show off (Hollywood) crowd since they are constantly rubbing it in our face ... but to me there is a deeper connection and satisfaction knowing you have fulfilled an obligation as mandated by G-D... Anyhow that is my view given the many yrs I have spent not practicing-- then one day thinking... since I believe in G-D how am I showing it?

thanks everyone-- I appreciate the feedback

peace

barney
05-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Bhuddism. It's about the development of the self and dosn't need a deitey. It both teaches and practices peace. It's scriptures dont need to be followed, you have to understand yourself, not convoluted messages wrapped in ancient politics. You can leave when you want without getting stoned to death or excommunicated to "hell".
It dosnt have fiery brimstone or shirts of pitch, It's based on the teachings of a man who diddnt say he was talking for the creator of the universe, which to me is a streach. Theres literally no compulsion in it, it promotes freedom of beleif and dosnt claim its the best or that its followers are super-people and others misguided or "hell"bound. It's not even a religion.

Why dont i practice it? Well it's a lot of bother to try and learn a way of learning about myself and the world. I'm doing that just fine without dogma, doctrine or guidence that I dont seek myself. Plus , I know that at some point i'd find some ruddy great loophole in it and know i'd wasted years or decades of my life.

I dont have a personal relationship with a creator at the moment, i think he'd find me terribly boring and have a lot better things to do.

*charisma*
05-06-2007, 03:04 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I asked the athiests/agnostics I've known the same thing and some of them said buddhism and others have said wicca (sp?). Those who said buddhism liked the aspects of peace in its teachings.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

جوري
05-06-2007, 03:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Bhuddism. It's about the development of the self and dosn't need a deitey. It both teaches and practices peace. It's scriptures dont need to be followed,.
What is the point of practicing a religion if its scriptures don't need to be followed? We can all be bad at our respective religions by not following (we'll just be whatever by name and not practice)--lol--I am sorry... I shouldn't have included ideologies-- My bad!
thanks for your response though!

peace!

barney
05-06-2007, 03:11 AM
LOL. I put bhuddism because it's on the list. it isnt actually a religion, just a way of life. :D

I cant follow any scripture because they all claim to have been divinely guided.
Bhuddism is way ahead in the poll, so i imagine other agnostics feel the same too.

جوري
05-06-2007, 03:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

I asked the athiests/agnostics I've known the same thing and some of them said buddhism and others have said wicca (sp?). Those who said buddhism liked the aspects of peace in its teachings.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
wiccans --akh...the mother of all paganism and witchery-- yes I have known quite a few... was popular back in my teenage yrs to dye your hair purple and not subscribe yourself to anything lame like "organized religion"

جوري
05-06-2007, 03:13 AM
LOL. I put bhuddism because it's on the list. it isnt actually a religion, just a way of life. :D

I cant follow any scripture because they all claim to have been divinely guided.
And why is being divinely guided so bothersome to you? Where else could these (5) books have come from?
peace!

barney
05-06-2007, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
And why is being divinely guided so bothersome to you? Where else could these (5) books have come from?
peace!
People.

( of course that wont make any sense to a beleiver....but divine messages dont make any sense to me!)

It's bothersome because i've seen the damage religion can do. i know that it offers millions some comfort, but on balance it really isnt worth the cost.

Woodrow
05-06-2007, 03:24 AM
OOOps, I hate to bring this up. i just realised that by allowing theists to vote on this poll the poll is skewed to be against theists as we are in essence directing our votes against what we believe. I believe this would be more telling if the poll was limited to Agnostics and atheists and to kick us with a theistic belief off of the poll.

جوري
05-06-2007, 03:28 AM
prove that the books actually just the Quran for now since I don't want to make this too broad a topic... it is a sincere request... If someone told me Shakespeare's work wasn't really his but Bacon's.. I could buy it if they'd prove it to me... a great deal of why I am a Muslim is because of the Quran.. I simply can't explain it... I struggled with where it came from for years, and then finally had to concede my surrender given what I know of Arabic.

peace!

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 03:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
there is indeed much that is Sensible in buddhism and for most of my life, that would've been my pick for sure.

barney
05-06-2007, 03:36 AM
Woody..just add a "unspecified" option to the poll?

Ambrosia, For me the onus of proof for a religion lies with it's ability to prove it is divinely sent, not on the agnostic to prove it isnt! :D

To prove it's human-based is , (I beleive) possible but involves a discussion that would not be allowable on these forums as it requires explaination that would contradict forum rules. if you wanted to PM me , I would be happy to debate further, but I know from long discussions with people of many faiths that their Faith acts as a limiter on examination by rationalism.

Regards & peace

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 03:36 AM
I think the difference between someone who believes in G-D and someone who believes in G-D but subscribes to a religion is really in the rituals preformed out of love for the creator and to give constant daily thanks... Many Agnostics I have no doubt and have known quite a few give to charity.. the difference I find is in whom you pledge it to. I am sure everyone gets some satisfaction and sense of fulfillment perhaps some do it to show off (Hollywood) crowd since they are constantly rubbing it in our face ... but to me there is a deeper connection and satisfaction knowing you have fulfilled an obligation as mandated by G-D... Anyhow that is my view given the many yrs I have spent not practicing-- then one day thinking... since I believe in G-D how am I showing it?

thanks everyone-- I appreciate the feedback

peace
you are making an assumption here. an agnostic who believes in god, but not religion can indeed do things with intent, as well as give thanks to god.

جوري
05-06-2007, 03:40 AM

Ambrosia, For me the onus of proof for a religion lies with it's ability to prove it is divinely sent, not on the agnostic to prove it isnt! :D

To prove it's human-based is , (I beleive) possible but involves a discussion that would not be allowable on these forums as it requires explaination that would contradict forum rules. if you wanted to PM me , I would be happy to debate further, but I know from long discussions with people of many faiths that their Faith acts as a limiter on examination by rationalism.

Regards & peace
I actually would welcome a debate for all openly to see so long as it is your own work and not borrowed from some site... I might not be able to answer all your questions but we certainly have a scholar or two who are excellent with history and refutations...

Lastly since you attested that all religions are human written and man made, I think it would be incumbent upon you to prove it... you can't just make sweeping generalizations and expect them to take affect just because you said so?!

peace!

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 03:42 AM

Regards & peace
religion can neither be proved or disproved. it requires no "proof" tho i know many here disagree.

barney
05-06-2007, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
you are making an assumption here. an agnostic who believes in god, but not religion can indeed do things with intent, as well as give thanks to god.
It all comes down to the Theist Agnostic's relationship with the creator. Does the Agnostic beleive that their good intents will be noticed and rewarded here or in the hereafter? Are they acting to impress the deitey? Are they acting out of adherence to their own morals?

جوري
05-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Yes snake but under the name of what? when such charitable contributions and prayers and pilgrimage and fast were originally mandated by religion.. I mean these are the fundamental rituals of organized religion-- unless a person makes up their own rituals?

peace!

barney
05-06-2007, 03:52 AM
I actually would welcome a debate for all openly to see so long as it is your own work

Studies and research have to come from books or sites, otherwise they are just personal opinions.
Thanks but personally , I would not join a open debate for the reasons given above.

My attesting is based on my research. It's my findings, and it's of course not 100% provable, but it for me holds the balance of probability far in excess of any religion proving their divine inspiration.
I dont expect it to "take effect", people are obviously free to make their own minds up.

As I say, I am happy to debate through PM's , but if not then please accept my word that I am not in the habit of making "sweeping Generalisations" based upon nothing but prejudice. :)

peace

جوري
05-06-2007, 03:57 AM
Studies and research have to come from books or sites, otherwise they are just personal opinions.
Thanks but personally , I would not join a open debate for the reasons given above.

My attesting is based on my research. It's my findings, and it's of course not 100% provable, but it for me holds the balance of probability far in excess of any religion proving their divine inspiration.
I dont expect it to "take effect", people are obviously free to make their own minds up.

As I say, I am happy to debate through PM's , but if not then please accept my word that I am not in the habit of making "sweeping Generalisations" based upon nothing but prejudice. :)

peace
it is your word against what you have actually written... How can I accept something, that I know not to be true, also based on research and probability and at the same time accept that you are not making a sweeping generalization? if you are not in the mood to get into a long refutation I can understand and respect that... Sometimes you don't want to put an effort into something... not every project proves fruitful!

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Yes snake but under the name of what? when such charitable contributions and prayers and pilgrimage and fast were originally mandated by religion.. I mean these are the fundamental rituals of organized religion-- unless a person makes up their own rituals?

peace!
for example, there is nothing to prevent a person from lighting a candle and focusing on god. no religious dogma or rituals are necessary to turn one's thoughts to god. you can bow or prostrate to god without being muslim.
you can pray to god not because it says you have to in a book. you can give thanks to god without following any prescribed ritual.
you do not have to do these things in the name of a religion. you do not have to do these things at all. personally, i do not believe that god needs us or needs us to worship him - i think prayer is not for god's sake, but for the sake of the person praying.
of course as far as following certain laws - such as giving to charity or making haj are specifically religious acts, obeying religious commandments.
there is no law that compels me to give to charity for example and when i do give it is not because of hope for future reward or avoiding future punishment or because a book says i have to.

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 04:08 AM
It all comes down to the Theist Agnostic's relationship with the creator. Does the Agnostic beleive that their good intents will be noticed and rewarded here or in the hereafter? Are they acting to impress the deitey? Are they acting out of adherence to their own morals?
good point.

barney
05-06-2007, 04:11 AM
Oh I'm happy to put the work in! I'd rather debate that than endlessly trawing through webcomics.

Your knowlage that "Its not true" is cemented in faith. For a debate to occur then you would have to take a step into unbiased rationalism, and thats tricky, nay, near impossible for a faithful person. My reluctance for open debate is that it necessitates taking a path down areas that are uncomfortable. and almost certainly not within the grounds of forum rules.

As for the fruitfulness of it, meh...who knows! As I say, I'm very happy to continue it within these grounds. as for "how can you accept it", the easy answer is Dont!
Just file it away under misguided agnostic nonsense! :D

جوري
05-06-2007, 04:18 AM
the sole purpose of prayer in Islam and from whence comes the name salat (silah) as in connection.. it isn't mandated because G-D needs your prayer... it is that you have a relationship with him... the term (selat Ar rahem) denotes --to maintain a relationship with your family and even (rahem) which is a derivative of G-D's name Ar rahman comes from mercy... it is profound to me-- when I think of the terminology alone in Arabic... let alone the comfort from this act... I can't say every prayer I make is sincere or my best.. but just the fact that I do it makes me feel like I have a chance of renewal, that I can be better at it... that so long as there is life there is this connection.. there is mercy... there is a chance to make it stronger if I didn't do my best for maghrib... I can do my best for Ish'a and so on--it is spiritually and psychologically very satisfying to most who do it... and those who don't love it... it is a burden... hence Allah has descried the act of prayer as a big deal save for those who are humbled!

وَاسْتَعِينُواْ بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلاَةِ وَإِنَّهَا لَكَبِيرَةٌ إِلاَّ عَلَى الْخَاشِعِينَ {45}
[Yusufali 2:45] Nay, seek (Allah's) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit,-
[Pickthal 2:45] Seek help in patience and prayer; and truly it is hard save for the humble-minded,

peace!

Gator
05-06-2007, 04:19 AM
I'd pick Sikh. Out of all the major religions I find this one most interesting in its philosophical and cultural differences. Lack of belief in the existence of dieties is a large hurdle, plus some of the traditional aspects (I guess I'd be a reformed Sikh).

barney
05-06-2007, 04:26 AM
the sole purpose of prayer in Islam and from whence comes the name salat (silah) as in connection.. it isn't mandated because G-D needs your prayer... it is that you have a relationship with him... *****
peace!

But on his nights journey, Allah told Mohammed he ordained 50 prayers a day, then it was reduced several times to 40 then 30 and finally was reduced to 5.
Over a billion muslims are required to pray 5 times a day.
I would argue that God indeed DID tell muslims that he wanted their prayers.

جوري
05-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Oh I'm happy to put the work in! I'd rather debate that than endlessly trawing through webcomics.

Your knowlage that "Its not true" is cemented in faith. For a debate to occur then you would have to take a step into unbiased rationalism, and thats tricky, nay, near impossible for a faithful person. My reluctance for open debate is that it necessitates taking a path down areas that are uncomfortable. and almost certainly not within the grounds of forum rules.

As for the fruitfulness of it, meh...who knows! As I say, I'm very happy to continue it within these grounds. as for "how can you accept it", the easy answer is Dont!
Just file it away under misguided agnostic nonsense! :D
There is where you make a mistake.. you assume that since I speak Arabic, and am Muslim that I can't be unbiased... but I have actually been where you have been... obviously I can't distil my experience down to a post... I have lived quite a large chunk of my life in doubt and everything freely accessible to me ( as it is still) actually-- and just like any Muslim can-- it would be fairly easy for me to live any life style I choose for myself.

I know Muslims who are alot less conservative in every sense of the words than many westerners I know. I am where I am today not because of my parents or background.. but a product of 6 yrs worth of studying and reflection which honestly in my state of mind could have gone either way.

I don't have this fear that something untoward will happen to me if I don't pray or fast... I am actually happily doing them... And I think you'll find that most Muslims once they are mature enough and freely practicing will tell you that it is indeed a privilege not some difficult life sentence.

Anyhow-- it might be a bit miserable for me to admit, but I don't think of the forum or its cyber inhabitants the minute I turn it off my computer... to be perfectly frank how people practice or what they think doesn't affect me one way or the other --converting people is never a goal of mine --in fact admittedly some people I am actually rather glad they have nothing to do with religion. I wouldn't think of their conversion as a gain at all-- I am happy to see a conversion when it happens with sincere folks... but I am not foolish enough to think that change comes from what people tell you in a debate rather than deep refection and inner search!

peace!

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 04:34 AM
the sole purpose of prayer in Islam and from whence comes the name salat (silah) as in connection.. it isn't mandated because G-D needs your prayer... it is that you have a relationship with him... the term (selat Ar rahem) denotes --to maintain a relationship with your family and even (rahem) which is a derivative of G-D's name Ar rahman comes from mercy... it is profound to me-- when I think of the terminology alone in Arabic... let alone the comfort from this act... I can't say every prayer I make is sincere or my best.. but just the fact that I do it makes me feel like I have a chance of renewal, that I can be better at it... that so long as there is life there is this connection.. there is mercy... there is a chance to make it stronger if I didn't do my best for maghrib... I can do my best for Ish'a and so on--it is spiritually and psychologically very satisfying to most who do it... and those who don't love it... it is a burden... hence Allah has descried the act of prayer as a big deal save for those who are humbled!

وَاسْتَعِينُواْ بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلاَةِ وَإِنَّهَا لَكَبِيرَةٌ إِلاَّ عَلَى الْخَاشِعِينَ {45}
[Yusufali 2:45] Nay, seek (Allah's) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit,-
[Pickthal 2:45] Seek help in patience and prayer; and truly it is hard save for the humble-minded,

peace!
i never knew the word salat came from a word meaning "connection". guess it's the same root as silsila. that's really cool. you know and meditate on the profound meanings of the words in arabic, which would certainly add a whole deeper dimension.
but still, prayer is required in islam. in fact, some say that to deliberately not pray makes you an apostate. i would think that this would cause some people to pray out of fear. i would rather pray spontaneously because i feel moved to try to connect.

جوري
05-06-2007, 04:37 AM
But on his nights journey, Allah told Mohammed he ordained 50 prayers a day, then it was reduced several times to 40 then 30 and finally was reduced to 5.
Over a billion muslims are required to pray 5 times a day.
I would argue that God indeed DID tell muslims that he wanted their prayers.
I have already quoted you from the Quran what prayer is or means... why would I accept your analysis of it over what I believe to be the word of G-D?

peace..

P.S: look up what the word Salah and (selah) means in Arabic... I think in the meaning of the word is sufficient as a proof

barney
05-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Absolutley!

I'm personally not on a quest to convert people to agnosticism, but i definatly dont shy away from my beleifs and can back them up.

My point about faith acting as a block, is that , once you have true FAITH, rather than just saying "im a Muslim" or "Im Church of England", then with that comes certain acceptances. The acceptance that scriptures are divinely inspired is core to this and debates otherwise invariably spiral to "God-knows-best" or "It is written" and as I'm sure you will remember rom your pre-reversion to Islam, veiwed by agnostics and atheists as circular logic.

Anyway, please dont feel that i am insulting your personal intelligence or objectivity, and as i say, feel free to continue this off thread if you like.

regards

جوري
05-06-2007, 04:45 AM
i never knew the word salat came from a word meaning "connection". guess it's the same root as silsila. that's really cool. you know and meditate on the profound meanings of the words in arabic, which would certainly add a whole deeper dimension.
but still, prayer is required in islam. in fact, some say that to deliberately not pray makes you an apostate. i would think that this would cause some people to pray out of fear. i would rather pray spontaneously because i feel moved to try to connect.
Prayer is in fact what makes the difference between us and the kuffar-- it is true! a constant connection is needed (mandated)
I didn't pray for yrs... my parents tried everything... fear.. punishment .. the more they tried the more refractory I became... and that is why the verse states it is (kabeera) literally big (overwhelming) except for those who are humble... in fact You can always fake you are praying it isn't so difficult.. the same for fasting-- if you are not willingly doing it, do you think it matters? it has to come from the heart to be accepted anyway... when you are young you should get into the habit, sort of like washing your hands before dindin... but to actually perform it, the level you do for a deep connection with G-D is something achieved by so few do at that great a level of dedication... but like I said with every prayer is a chance to improve and ask forgiveness... G-D can be your friend. I don't think many people understand what that means... or how profound it is.

peace!

barney
05-06-2007, 04:50 AM
I have already quoted you from the Quran what prayer is or means... why would I accept your analysis of it over what I believe to be the word of G-D?

peace..

P.S: look up what the word Salah and (selah) means in Arabic... I think in the meaning of the word is sufficient as a proof
I wasnt debating that prayer is beleved to be a connection, just refering to the hadiths that tell of Mohammed explaining Gods requirements for prayer. Indicating that he needed prayer. If He diddnt need prayer...why set a obligation on it? Why not just reveal to Mohammed that prayer was good and would be well received.

جوري
05-06-2007, 05:03 AM
I wasnt debating that prayer is beleved to be a connection, just refering to the hadiths that tell of Mohammed explaining Gods requirements for prayer. Indicating that he needed prayer. If He diddnt need prayer...why set a obligation on it? Why not just reveal to Mohammed that prayer was good and would be well received.
G-D doesn't need our prayer... I am too tired to search for the verse now --I don't know all the chapters by heart as to readily search... however there is are many denoting if you perform rituals you are really doing it for yourself... prayer is meant as your means for communicating with G-D certainly not because G-D needs it!... G-D is above what you ascribe to him!

Think of the world around you... from the tiniest biochemical process going on in a cell, to the magistrate of all those twinkly stars in heaven you might take your kids out on a cool summer night exploring... to the beauty in a field of poppy or the incandescence of fireflies to the delicate movements of fragile tiny birds (My G-D if that doesn't move you)?... all created so you truly may reflect and give thanks and maintain a relationship to the one who bestowed all beauty on you... do you think he who created all this glory really cares what one petty human thinks?-- a hadith Qudsi states
will not encompass me all that is in my heaven or earth... but will encompass me the heart of one devout servant...The choice is yours....I don't know how to make it any more clear.. you want to see it from one stance... I see it from another.. Just as I see someone who studies diligently all year long to have an obvious better outcome from someone who slacks off all year long. Do you think it fair that they both should end up with the same grade at the end? or that murder and love are equal? or that prayer or non prayer are the same thing? Just the psychological impact from prayer is the equivalent of taking one SSRI minus the harmful side affects... I have posted the study from JAMA under health and science section... it is actually good for you on both ends... Why all these walks around the block to make it seem another nefarious religious obligation?

peace!

Trumble
05-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Bhuddism. It's about the development of the self and dosn't need a deitey. It both teaches and practices peace. It's scriptures dont need to be followed, you have to understand yourself, not convoluted messages wrapped in ancient politics. You can leave when you want without getting stoned to death or excommunicated to "hell".
It dosnt have fiery brimstone or shirts of pitch, It's based on the teachings of a man who diddnt say he was talking for the creator of the universe, which to me is a streach. Theres literally no compulsion in it, it promotes freedom of beleif and dosnt claim its the best or that its followers are super-people and others misguided or "hell"bound. It's not even a religion.
Mostly true, apart from the last sentence! Buddhism is as much a religion as the others; 'dictionary' definitions of 'religion' that insist on God or gods are considered unsatisfactory by all serious students of religious studies (and emerge from theist cultures anyway!)

Ninian Smart's definition is the best;

Experience - "Religious experience," very non-ordinary
Social - More than one person claiming Experience
Narrative - Story of Experience for later participants
Dogma - Beliefs, must be rational and logical within entire system
Ethical - Behaviours that correspond to beliefs
Ritual - Repeated access to Experience
Material - Material manifestation for participants.

Buddhism is a way of life AND a religion, as are all the others if actually followed. Anything else is just ticking a box on the census form, not practising a religion. "It's scriptures don't need to be followed" is true in that there is no compulsion, and the Buddha's own recommendation about his teaching were that people just 'try it and see if it works for you'. But if you do not accept the Four Noble Truths and try to follow the Eightfold Path you are not a Buddhist. There is immense variety in later Buddhist teachings, but all share that common core from Zen to Shingon, and everything in between.

To answer the question, 'none of the above' really. The mainstream monotheist options are out as as time goes on I just consider the concept of God as described in assorted scriptures to be less and less plausible. It bears no relation to the world I experience, and is clearly a human construction grasping, with limited success (it's still an awful lot better than nothing), to find that one Reality that must be there. I have much more sympathy towards naturalistic pantheism ideas and philosophical Daoism - which I would have chosen had it been on the list - and really some of each is already included in my own personal beliefs. Like Buddhism, those ideas make sense to me and reflect my personal experience of existence.

barney
05-06-2007, 05:21 AM
Tired here too. Night shifts are killers.

I'd like to skip past the description of the creators works, because I know that nature is fantastic, and i know that the world is an amazing place. If I prayed , then I would want it to be on the level you describe. That fits nicely with what I beleive connection with a deity could be...if I ever found it or indeed searched for it.

Simply put, Islam's teachings from the Hadiths demonstrate that Allah made prayer obligitory on beleivers. Its a piller of Islam! Hence, when he ordained it...he wanted prayer...and he wanted it 50 times/day later reduced to 5/day. This is orthodox teaching, and I'm struggeling to understand what the problem with that is? It can surely still be a deep spiritual connection even if God has stated that he wants it?

regards

جوري
05-06-2007, 05:26 AM
^^to put it to you in a nutshell. ..it is your religious duty whether 50 or 5.. but G-D certainly doesn't need it from you.. need being the operative word. G-D doesn't have needs or wants for anything from you or others ... ... Anymore than I have the need or the want to know how your night shift is a killer...it is sort of like you earning your keep in the hereafter.. this is the work you do for your permanent retirement so to speak..I need to sleep
gnight

peace!

barney
05-06-2007, 05:34 AM
I dont beleive a deitey needs it either.
Just that Islam stated he required/ordained it. just semantics really.

Sorry if i bored you with my level of fatigue. Your level of fatigue diddnt have that effect on me!

Anyway, g'night all.

جوري
05-06-2007, 05:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
OOOps, I hate to bring this up. i just realised that by allowing theists to vote on this poll the poll is skewed to be against theists as we are in essence directing our votes against what we believe. I believe this would be more telling if the poll was limited to Agnostics and atheists and to kick us with a theistic belief off of the poll.
lol so true... I have been so engrossed in the replies..I am sorry I missed yours akhi... it is always refreshing to read like a mellow iced peach smoothie in the midst of all those ulcer inducing tomato juices... I think the thread has served its purposes-- akhi if you don't mind go ahead and close it
thank you
:w:

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Prayer is in fact what makes the difference between us and the kuffar-- it is true! a constant connection is needed (mandated)
I didn't pray for yrs... my parents tried everything... fear.. punishment .. the more they tried the more refractory I became... and that is why the verse states it is (kabeera) literally big (overwhelming) except for those who are humble... in fact You can always fake you are praying it isn't so difficult.. the same for fasting-- if you are not willingly doing it, do you think it matters? it has to come from the heart to be accepted anyway... when you are young you should get into the habit, sort of like washing your hands before dindin... but to actually perform it, the level you do for a deep connection with G-D is something achieved by so few do at that great a level of dedication... but like I said with every prayer is a chance to improve and ask forgiveness... G-D can be your friend. I don't think many people understand what that means... or how profound it is.

peace!
this makes sense to me. being born and raised in a religion does not preclude you carrying it out with intent or worshipping from your heart, as you have shown.
i really like the meaning of salat!

جوري
05-06-2007, 06:25 AM
صِلَة from salat =
reinforcements , endowment , donation , granting , gift , grant , grace

liaison , bearing , relation , tie-in , tie , relationship , relevance , connectedness , linkage , linkup , link , pertinence , nexus , yoke , association , concern , contact , connection , conjunction , relation

I know if you just put the word prayer or salat you'd get the usual (litany or supplication)... but the meaning of the word not the act is as described above... I am really glad you learned something from me for a change lol
:-[

peace!

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 06:40 AM
is it the same root as silsila?

جوري
05-06-2007, 06:55 AM
is it the same root as silsila?
silsila means series...

سلسلة
silsilah

graded , concatenated , consecutive , continuous , concatenation , series ..

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 07:02 AM
a series is a group of connected items, isn't it? that's why i thought the words were related.
thanks!

جوري
05-06-2007, 07:06 AM
yes I suppose... it is just one is with a saad and the other with a seen hehe

ص
Saad

س
Seen

sort of like the difference between an S and a C.. Salat would start with S where is Silsilah would be with a c (cilcila) lol

But I can actually understand exactly where you are coming from when making that conclusion. !:)
peace!

snakelegs
05-06-2007, 07:12 AM
aha! yet another Brilliant Language Theory shattered!
thanks.

ranma1/2
05-06-2007, 12:53 PM
For me buddhism is fine and I have a reasonable interests in it.
What should a buddhists atheists pick? Or a shinto?

There are differences between spirits and a god i would think.

Vishnu
05-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Lol, I voted I want to see the poll results. I'm supirsed by the outcome though.

Woodrow
05-07-2007, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vishnu
Lol, I voted I want to see the poll results. I'm supirsed by the outcome though.
LOL not as big of a surprise as it would seem. since most members are Muslim and most of the ones who voted are Muslim, we had to vote for something other than Islam as the way the question is worded.

AmarFaisal
05-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Assalamoalaikum,

Alhamdulillah I am a Muslim.

But as a child as I studied in a christian school run by nuns and only for girls, I was fascinated by christianity, the one that the nuns practicised. Even today when I think abt them, they were excellent personalities, soft spoken, very delicate, I just loved them. :)

As a child, even though I grew up in a muslim country and had a Moulivi teach me Quran from an early age, my parents took it for granted that I'd know abt Allah. But some times at school and at home our elders don't emphasise that talking to ur children friendlily abt Allah is important. To tell them why we r Muslims, Who is Allah etc. Our education starts from Quran, prayers, fasting. learning sorahs..but lacks a genuine discussion abt Islam (in a child's context).

I often thought and asked my mother why we weren't christians, as the christians go to church in beautiful clothes and have dances, whereas we don't!

My mother would only scold me for saying that and threat me that if I say it again she's gonna smack me hard. But where is the explanation abt Islam???!!

Snowflake
05-07-2007, 09:09 AM
i don't believe in an afterlife because nothing in my experience has indicated its existence.
Hi Snake legs, I read your reply enthusiastically, but this part was interesting to me the most. Before you were conceived and perhaps even before you were born there was nothing that indicated to you that you will come into this world. But you did. Then similarly, although you find no indication of an after-life, don't you think there is a strong possibility that you will be resurrected again? :p

Vishnu
05-07-2007, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
LOL not as big of a surprise as it would seem. since most members are Muslim and most of the ones who voted are Muslim, we had to vote for something other than Islam as the way the question is worded.
Woodrow, we are refering to different things. I am commenting on how so many agnostics and atheists in the west would join a eastern religion that deals with reincarnation like Budhism. That was the suprise.

Woodrow
05-07-2007, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vishnu
Woodrow, we are refering to different things. I am commenting on how so many agnostics and atheists in the west would join a eastern religion that deals with reincarnation like Budhism. That was the suprise.
Oh I see. actually I was one of the Buddhist answers and I did think of myself as a Buddhist during my agnostic years. Buddhism is ideal for an agnostic.

It really is not so strange, at least not for my age. Zen had become very popular in the 1950s.

Pygoscelis
05-07-2007, 05:55 PM
It is really only the monotheistic religions that I harbour distrust and alarm for. When people start saying their God is the only God and their way is the only way, is when I get concerned.

Many spiritual beliefs don't roll in that direction, so I find them harmless. And some of them are really quite fascinating.

Toaism, budhism are both very interesting and I'd likely pick one of those two. Many native north american beliefs are also very interesting. Lots of their religions (and there are many) are very connected and respectful towards nature, not putting themselves above it or saying it exists to serve them, but placing it on an equal footing to themselves, saying they are a part of it. Quite refreshing.

snakelegs
05-08-2007, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
It is really only the monotheistic religions that I harbour distrust and alarm for. When people start saying their God is the only God and their way is the only way, is when I get concerned.
when people say their god is the only god and their way is the only way, they become a potential threat - not only to those who don't share that belief, but also to those who also claim exlusive rights.

barney
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruggedtouch
Eschew ill-fitting, off-the-rack hand-me-downs.
Go for it!
Yup. All Monothistic organised religions are soooooo last millenium.

جوري
05-11-2007, 12:25 AM
I am not sure what is the presupposed upshot of this creative ambiguation -- seems like a credulous and shallow presentation of one simply bringing every doctrine down to the lowest common denominator, and painting the other side with a broad brush... At the end appearing very much a zealot only from the opposite end of the spectrum.

Pygoscelis
05-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Amen to that. Time for the intolerance to come to an end.

جوري
05-11-2007, 03:22 AM
ah! we have much more to be thankful for a la mode of Atheism for Collectively murdering more than 100 million people. From Mao Zedong, to Enver Hoxha, to stalin, to Pol Pot to Kim II Sung -- here we have it folks a pantheon of history's great Atheists.

If smelly beads offend you-- then I hope so does the stench of mass graves.... if ten thousand years seems like a long stretch to give you great architecture, hymns, and hope, then have a look at what a few G-Dless ones can do--! YES-- atheism has killed more people in a short span, than all religions combined. let's tote up the casualty count achieved by those few officially atheistic regimes the world has seen, and see who beats whom by a thousand miles!

An atheist Zealot? oxymoronic? Nah!
In 1967, following two decades of progressively harsher persecution of religion under his rule, Hoxha triumphantly declared his nation to be the first and only officially atheist state in history. Partly inspired by China's Cultural Revolution, he proceeded to confiscate mosques, churches, monasteries, and shrines. Many were immediately razed, others turned into machine shops, warehouses, stables, and movie theaters. Parents were forbidden to give their children religious names. Anyone caught with the Qu'ran, Bibles, icons, or religious objects faced long prison sentences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enver_Hoxha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_pot

atheism the path of the illuminati? You be the judge-- every bit as culpable-- if not abhorrently more!...
peace!

Woodrow
05-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Thread closed by Thread starters Request

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.