/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Domes over graves?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-06-2007, 02:50 AM
:sl:

Ermm ok I don't know if this is in the right section or what not, but I'll ask anyway. It's been buggin my brain for a quite a while.

Alright so what I want to know is, is it permissible to build domes over graves? You know those really big buildings people built over graves of people who were very well respected because they helped get Islam known to people and stuff. I've been debating with my mom first about it. I'm pretty sure it's not allowed because, if im correct, graves are supposed to be plain right? And also as we know, also shown in pictures, the Prophet(saw) and his companions(ra) had plain graves as well. So yea can someone shed some light on it and let me know if I have this correct? JazakAllah Khair in advance.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Asalaamu 'alaykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

If you're asian, you're probably going to get alot of opposition because of the person's name. But i want you to read his book with an open mind, because about 90% of it is pure Qur'an & Sunnah.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...hab/index.html

His chapter regarding building domes over graves states:

Kitaab At-Tawheed, Chapter: 18

What Has been Said Concerning the Condemnation of One Who Worships Allah (swt ) at the Grave of a Righteous Man - and Therefore of One Who Worships its Inhabitant

It is authentically reported on the authority of `Aa`ishah that Um Salamah (May Allah be pleased with them both) told the Messenger of Allah (saas ) about a church she had seen in Abyssinia in which there were pictures. The Prophet (saas ) said: "Those people, when a righteous member of their group or a pious slave (of Allah swt ) dies, they build a mosque over his grave and make images therein; by so doing, they combine two evils: (i) The evil of the graves and (ii) the evil of images." 1

`Aa`ishah tells us that Um Salamah informed her that she had told the Prophet (saas ) about a church in Abyssinia which she saw when she migrated there with her husband in which there were images. The Prophet (saas ) then explained to her the significance of what she had seen: That the Christians, when a pious man from among them died, would build an edifice over his grave and place his image in it in order to remember him and be inspired by his piety; and he added that these people were the worst of people in the sight of Allah (swt ) because they had combined two sins: (i) The sin of building over graves which may lead eventually to the worship of their occupants; and (ii) the sin of making images of living creatures which may also lead to worship of those images when the original purpose of their making has been forgotten.

Benefits Derived From This Hadith
1. The acceptability of the evidence of a truthful woman.
2. That placing images in places of worship is among the deeds of the Christians.
3. The forbiddance of building mosques over graves.
4. The prohibition of placing images over graves.

Relevance of This Hadith to the Subject of the Chapter
That the Hadith proves that building a place of worship over the grave of a righteous man is strongly condemned - and therefore what may be said of one who actually worships its occupant?

Relevance of This Hadith to the Subject of Tawheed
That the Hadith proves the forbiddance of building mosques over graves because it entails glorification of their inhabitants and glorification is a form of worship, and dedicating worship to other than Allah (swt ) is an act of Shirk.

..ooOOoo..
Al-Bukhari and Muslim report that `Aa`ishah said: "When the Messenger of Allah (saas ) was close to death, he covered his face with a cloth, and then when it became difficult for him to breathe, he uncovered his face and said:
"May Allah (swt ) curse the Jews and Christians who took the graves of their Prophets as places of worship - do not imitate them."
And, (added `Aa`ishah,) "if it had not been for this, his grave might have been raised above ground, but it was feared that it would be taken as a place of worship."

`Aa`ishah informs us in this narration that when the Prophet (saas ) was near to death and in a state of delirium, he invoked Allah's curse on the Jews and Christians because they built places of worship over the graves of their Prophets. Then `Aa`ishah explains that the Prophet (saas ) intended by this to warn his Ummah against doing what the Jews and Christians had done; and she made clear that the reason for his forbidding the Companions from burying him outside his house was to prevent them from taking his grave as a place of worship.

1. Evidence that the Prophet (saas ) was afflicted by the agonies of death.
2. That the Prophet (saas ) cared deeply for his Ummah.
3. The general permissibility of invoking Allah's curse on the disbelievers.
4. The general prohibition of building over graves.
5. That the Hadith is a reply to those who claim that building over graves - in particular those of Muslim scholars - is permissible.
6. That building over graves is a custom of the Jews and Christians.
7. Evidence of `Aa`ishah's knowledge and understanding in matters of fiqh.
8. Evidence of the reason for burying the Prophet (saas ) in his house.

That it proves that it is prohibited to build places of worship over graves or to worship Allah (swt ) beside them. Therefore, what may be said of one who worships the occupant of the grave?

That the Hadith proves that it is forbidden to build places of worship over graves because this entails glorification of their inhabitants and glorification is an act of worship and directing such an act to other than Allah (swt ) is Shirk.

..ooOOoo..
Muslim narrates on the authority of Jundub Ibn `Abdillah (ra ) that he said: "I heard the Prophet (saas ) say five days before his death:
"Verily, I bear witness before Allah (swt ) that I have taken none of you as my Khaleel,2 for truly, Allah (swt ) has taken me as His Khaleel, just as He took Ibraheem (as ) as a Khaleel. If I were to take any man from my Ummah as a khaleel, it would be Abu Bakr. Your predecessors used to take their Prophets' graves as places of worship, so do not make graves into places of worship for I have forbidden you to do this."
Jundub Ibn `Abdillaah (ra ) informs us that the Prophet (saas ), shortly before his death, rejected that he had taken any man as his Khaleel, and this was because his heart was completely filled with love for Allah (swt ) as was the heart of his ancestor, Ibraheem (as ). Then he said that were he to take any man as his Khaleel, the one with most right to be considered would be Abu Bakr As-Siddeeq (ra ) because of his many virtues, his unceasing efforts in the cause of Islam and his help and support of the Prophet (saas ); and when he knew that the Companions loved him and were influenced by him in everything they did, he began to fear that they might build an edifice over his grave for the purpose of worship as the Jews and Christians had done with their Prophets, and so he expressly forbade the building of places of worship over graves especially his own.

Benefits Derived From This Verse
1. Confirmation that the Prophet is Allah's Khaleel.
2. Affirmation of Allah's Divine Attribute of Love.
3. Confirmation that Ibraheem is Allah's Khaleel.
4. Evidence of the virtue of Abu Bakr and therefore of his right to be the first Khaleefah (Caliph) of Islam, because the most loved of mankind in the eyes of the Prophet naturally has more right than any other to be his successor.
5. That building places of worship over graves was the practice of the former nations.
6. The prohibition of taking graves as places of worship.
7. The obligation to take precautions against that which is undesirable.

That the Hadith proves the forbiddance of building places of worship over graves, and so what may be said of those who worship their inhabitants?

That the Hadith clearly prohibits the building of places of worship over graves because this entails glorification of their inhabitants, and glorification is a kind of worship, and directing acts of worship to other than Allah (swt ) is Shirk.

..ooOOoo..
It is narrated by Ahmad, with a good sanad,3 on the authority of Ibn Mas'ood (ra ), in a narration traced back to the Prophet (saas ) himself, the following:
"Verily, the most wicked of people are those who, when the Hour overtakes them, are still alive, and those who take graves as places of worship." (Also Narrated by Abu Hatim in his Saheeh)
The Messenger of Allah (saas ) informs us in this Hadith about the two categories of people upon whom the Hour (i.e. the Day of Judgement) will fall: (i) Those who build places of worship over graves and (ii) those who pray at those places of worship, since this is implicit in the phrase: "taking the graves as places of worship," for they glorify the occupants of the graves and deify them and seek blessings from their graves, which actions are totally unacceptable to the person who has an uncorrupted soul and is still upon the fitrah, and which no person with an ounce of faith in his heart can accept it because conflicts with all authentic sources, whether in the Qur'an or the Sunnah.

1. The miracle of the Messenger's prophecy being fulfilled as he had predicted that some members of his Ummah would build places of worship over graves.
2. That the Hour will not fall upon the Believers.
3. Confirmation that the Hour will come.
4. Prohibition of building places of worship over graves and praying close to them, even without building anything over them because a place of worship does not have to be a building but may be any place used for worship, even if it is outdoors.

That it proves that building places of worship over graves is prohibited, and therefore, what may be said of those who actually worship their inhabitants?

That the Hadith describes those who build places of worship over graves as the wickedest of people because that entails glorification of their inhabitants, and glorification is a form of worship, and dedicating acts of worship to other than Allah (swt ) is Shirk.

Important Note

The rules of the grave are four:
1. For men to visit them without undertaking a journey to do so, is a favourable act because it reminds them of the Hereafter.
2. Building over graves and burning lights over them is totally forbidden because it leads inevitably to Shirk.
3. Taking the occupants of graves as intercessors, or supplicating them directly is an act of major Shirk because supplication is a form of worship and directing it to other than Allah (swt ) is an act of Shirk.
4. For women to visit graves is prohibited as the Prophet (saas ) said: "Allah (swt ) has cursed those women who visit the graves."4

What Shaikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah Said Concerning This Matter

He (saas ) forbade it (building over graves) towards the end of his life and cursed whoever did so, likewise praying near them, even if no building is erected over them, and this is the intended meaning here, since none of the Companions would have built a mosque over the grave of the Messenger of Allah (saas ), for every place where the intention for prayer is made is a place of worship; indeed, every place which is used as a place of prayer may be classified as a mosque, as He (saas ) said: "The whole earth has been made for me a pure and clean mosque." 5
Footnotes
1. Narrated by Bukhari.

2. Khaleel: A special, most beloved friend.

3. Sanad: Chain of narrators.

4. Narrated by Abu Dawood.

5. Narrated by Abu Dawood.
------------------------------------------------------
Kitaab At-Tawheed, Chapter: 19

What Has Been Said About Exaggeration
in Raising up the Graves of the Righteous
and How They Tend to Become Idols Worshiped Besides Allah (swt )

Imam Malik has reported in his book, Al-Muwatta`, that the Messenger of Allah (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) said:
"Oh, Allah! Do not let my grave become an idol that is worshiped: Allah's Wrath is immense against those peoples who turned the graves of their Prophets into mosques."
The narrator informs us in this Hadith, that the Prophet (saas ) adjured his Rabb that He protect his grave from being taken as an object of worship besides Allah (swt ); then he made clear that Allah's Wrath is upon all of His slaves who take the graves of the Prophets as places of worship - then what may be said of those who take the graves' inhabitants as objects of worship?

1. Glorifying graves worship is an act of Shirk however close to Allah (swt ) was the grave's inhabitant.
2. Confirmation of Allah's Divine Attribute of Anger.
3. Prohibition of building places of worship over graves.
4. The forbiddance of praying near graves even if there is no building erected over the grave.

That the Hadith proves that the graves will be taken as idols by some of this Ummah; this is why the Prophet (saas ) asked Allah (swt ) to protect his grave from being taken as an object of worship.

That the Hadith proves that taking the graves as places of worship will lead to worship of their inhabitants, and this is an act of Shirk.

..ooOOoo..
In addition, Ibn Jareer reports, on the authority of Sufyaan, from Mansoor, from Mujahid (that he said): "" Have you seen Al-Laat and Al-'uzzaa and another, Manaat, the third [deity]?" 1 - He (Al-Laat) used to prepare saweeq for the pilgrims, and when he died, the people began to sit at his grave."

Relevance of This Narration to the Subject of the Chapter and the Subject of Tawheed

That it shows that Al-Laat was originally the name of a righteous man who used to prepare saweeq for the pilgrims; then, after he died, the people began to exaggerate their praises of him, sitting at his grave and taking it as an object of worship besides Allah (swt ). For this reason, every grave whose inhabitant is praised in an exaggerated manner by the people is likely to become an object of worship, even though they may not refer to it as such.

It is reported on the authority of Ibn `Abbas (ra ) that he said: "Allah's Messenger (saas ) said:
"Cursed those women who visit the graves and those who take them as places of worship and hang lights around them." (Narrated by Abu Dawood, At-Tirmizi and Ibn Maajah)
The Prophet (saas ) cursed in this Hadith three groups: (i) Women who visit graves, because of the inherent weakness in them which may lead them to mourn excessively the departed; (ii) those who take the graves as places of worship, because this leads to the glorification of the graves' inhabitants and worship of them; (iii) those who adorn the graves with lights, because this is a waste of wealth without purpose and it leads to the glorification of the graves' inhabitants, very similar to the glorification of idols by those who make them. And the Hadith is a warning and an admonition to every person who would build places of worship over the graves of the righteous and the leaders and praise them excessively, and experience a state of humility which they do not feel when they go to the mosque - and this is among the greatest of sins; indeed it is one of the major sins, which should be eradicated, as the Prophet (saas ) has made clear in this Hadith, for he did not curse except those who committed major sins.

1. The general permissibilty of cursing the corrupt.
2. The prohibition of women visiting graves.
3. The forbiddance of taking graves as places of worship and adorning them with lights.
4. The wisdom of Islamic Law lies in its forbidding everything which may lead to Shirk.
5. The prohibition of using up wealth without purpose.
Relevance of This Hadithto the Subject of the Chapter and to the Subject of Tawheed

That the Hadith prohibits excessive praise and glorification of the graves and their inhabitants, by building mosques or other places of worship over them and decorating them with lights because this leads to them being taken as idols and worshiped.

Important Note

(a) The purpose of prohibiting both the building of places of worship over graves and of adorning them with lights is in that these practices may lead to worship of the graves' inhabitants, not because graves are unclean.
(b) There is no conflict between this Hadith and the saying of the Prophet (saas ):
"I had forbidden you to visit the graves, but (now I say:) visit them."2
Because the former is an exception for women from the general license granted by the latter.

Footnotes
1. Qur'an An-Najm 53:19-20.

2. Narrated by Malik, Muslim and Abu Dawood.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Yes I am Asian lol. I probably will get opposition but then again, even my mom agrees it's not right. I'll just have to see who's against it.
JazakAllah Khair for the info bro Fi.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Also if you have time, listen to this:
http://audioislam.com/?seriesdetail=Kitaab%20at-Tawheed

Which is an explanation of the book Br. Fi Sabillilah linked you to. It's byy Shaykh Yasir Qadhi. Or you can listen to the chapters pertaining to your question :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM

^^o0o, that's helpful. JazakAllah Khair once again lol :D

Talibatul Ilm
05-16-2007, 02:27 PM
even without thinking if this is permissible or not, it just doesnt make sense! why waste money on all of that and you're body will just be in the grave disintegrating! subhanAllah, the things people 'invest' in these days. may Allah help us, ameen.

i went to the graveyard recently and subhanAllah, even the non muslims were admiring the 'muslim section' and how plain and simple they were. if anything there was a stone with the name and date of birth and death, some just had a paper sign on a stick labeling who was buried there. the other graves, mainly those of the christians had huge sculptures and buildings and it didnt even look like a graveyard or a place to come and be respectful, it was like a show.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-17-2007, 09:07 PM
^^Thats so true sis.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.