/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Relations with Prisoners of War

IslamistheTruth
05-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum :)

If this thread is in the wrong place, I'm sorry.

"O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee; and daughters of thy paternal uncles and aunts, and daughters of thy maternal uncles and aunts, who migrated (from Makka) with thee; and any believing woman who dedicates her soul to the Prophet if the Prophet wishes to wed her;- this only for thee, and not for the Believers (at large); We know what We have appointed for them as to their wives and the captives whom their right hands possess;- in order that there should be no difficulty for thee. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." 033.050 Shakir

So, it's clear that our men are allowed to have sexual relations with the women in their possession through a lawful war. I almost feel guilty when I say this, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Allah (swt) puts a good deal of emphasis on family and community in the Quran, and so I don't see how having sex with your prisoners of war is going to keep your marriage strong. Also, what if you have children by these women? Still, you refuse to marry them. Those children will be raised in a household where their parents aren't married.

I understand that we are to take care of our prisoners of war and to treat them kindly. Also, the men aren't allowed to force the female prisoners of war into sex. However, I don't understand why the men are allowed to have sex with them in the first place. Personally, if I were married, I think it would hurt me greatly if my husband did just that. I would prefer that he married them..but it's not mandatory for him.

I know there aren't any muslims who are really facing this problem at this time, but since it's in the Quran, it's not something we can just ignore. I mean, the world is constantly changing very quickly..and it's a situation that can rise again.

Please don't attack me for my question..I am a practicing muslim myself alhamdulillah. However, I'm obviously not a scholar..or someone who has been studying the religion for years..so there is plenty which I do not understand.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-06-2007, 09:21 PM
:wasalamex

Welcome to the forums sister. Jazaak Allaah khayr for your question.

I think i'll just link you to some threads, and then i'll have to close this one since most of the answers have been given in the following threads already:

http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...ave-girls.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ave-girls.html

The Islamic position on Slavery: A refutation of doubts

If you have any further questions - please PM any of the Moderators and we'll try to answer you inshaa Allaah. May Allaah reward you for your patience.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.