/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Computing

jannat
05-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Assalamu a laykum,

Does anyone study computer science , computer related subjects at uni?
i am studying computing , i have to say its hard ! its nothing like what i studied in college.

Any tips anyone on how to survive on the course, its pretty hard core stuff.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
05-07-2007, 03:55 PM
wa'alaikum as'salaam

CS is hard and very tedious and time consuming. Mostly nerds and those who don't have much social life go into it. It will take all your time with little left if any to have social life, family or what not. Have you looked into CIS or MIS?

tips wise, best thing to do is get in groups with smart students who know what they are doing. Group studies and work helps a lot.

jannat
05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Jazakallah for advice. i do info systems within my course, it is 'easier' than CS, as there is not much programming, esp Java , which i dont enjoy much, however there is still alot of work involved, like you said , it is difficult to give time to other activities/ clubs, i.e Islamic societies at uni, i am part of one but its hard to make a major contribution to it due to the course.

iwuvaziaf
05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Assalamaleykummm!

here's someone i can relate too..

I am in second year of info systems.. its soooo crap.. i done ICT at college. and man! it felt like a breeze! alhumdullilah! sitting down 10 hrs.. 2 days in a row and my assignments would be complete but now juggling uni, work and family life (rounds never end..MashaAllah!)... so neglecting my friends now and i know exactly wot u mean! i had become editor of my isoc mag but dropped that.. there really is no time..

wot to do.. i can tell u..! talk to ur family and minimize everything by halves and set around 6 hrs of study time everyday to modules.. alternating each day.. i.e. 2 hrs per module.. but u must be nearing exam period now like myself..!! plz pray for me.. yikes!

I am dreading the exams.. infact! i must jet.. i have a viva in a couple of hrs..

Salamaleykum

Fi

p.s. java is soooo crap and time consuming.. agree with the earlier post!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
skhalid
05-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Your on your own man...I'm hoping to study computing for A-level but omg its hard stuf!!!

iwuvaziaf
05-08-2007, 10:59 AM
sis.. A-level wont be half as hard bachelors.. thats if u wish to do bachelors.. i say change ur field.. because my biggest mistake was choosing IS.. and computing is hardcore.. IS is minor compared to computing .. most peeps r struggling in computing.. its so boring.. if i could choose now.. i wud choose accounts, law or psychology..

Goodluck anyhow..!

Salams:

skhalid
05-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Ah..well ahead of you sis..I'm going for accounts...much better for my understanding and easier that computing..for me anyways...
Good Luck (I see your gonna need it)

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Information systems isn't so bad but computing is tough when it come to the programming and all that technical language does your head in. I think all courses IS and computing having same types of modules in the first year.

skhalid
05-08-2007, 11:12 AM
panic!!!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-08-2007, 11:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by skhalid
panic!!!

why?

islamirama
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jannat
Jazakallah for advice. i do info systems within my course, it is 'easier' than CS, as there is not much programming, esp Java , which i dont enjoy much, however there is still alot of work involved, like you said , it is difficult to give time to other activities/ clubs, i.e Islamic societies at uni, i am part of one but its hard to make a major contribution to it due to the course.
CS involves programming where as MIS involves mostly databases and very little programming like being familiar with VB, HTML, and that sort. It's not that time consuming till your last 2 semesters mostly. You will have to see what works for you. some who like computers find it easy just as those who like math find accounting easier. One thing is for sure, MIS is most paying job in the business sector. But then again it also requires you to be on top of your game most of the time. And some jobs/companies are easier than others. For example, if you work for accenture then you'll be putting 10hrs a day in and traveling 90% of the time. But if you work for someone like P&G or Smuckers than you just do 8-5 and head on home to enjoy life.

I was IT Consultant for L'Oreal for 2 years before i left for my current job as Data Anaylst. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I did MIS and HR as double major/degree :)

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-08-2007, 02:04 PM
^Can we have your final year project please :D

jannat
05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Salamto all,

i wish u all the best with ur exams inshallah, thanks 4 da advice, i have to emphasis though there is big difference from ICT in college and at uni, but if ur willing to work hard , everyfin will work out inshallah.Gettin a degree isnt easy, however studying computers have their benefits. are any of u on the isoc(islamic society) or any other societies/clubs?
i wanted to know how u all cope with ur studies and these activities, i find it hard to balance these activities- hey i was told by lectures that students are bad time managers!

islamirama
05-08-2007, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
^Can we have your final year project please :D
I'm in US, it's probably not the same thing :)

jannat
05-08-2007, 02:39 PM
final yr projects.. i am not there yet but i fear it, as second yr is really tough
what general advice would u give someone regarding final year projects, and did u take a yr out - an industrial placement /internship?

Jazakallah (jzk)

islamirama
05-08-2007, 02:57 PM
final yr projects.. i am not there yet but i fear it, as second yr is really tough
what general advice would u give someone regarding final year projects, and did u take a yr out - an industrial placement /internship?

Jazakallah (jzk)
I didn't do internship, but it would be a good idea to do it. Usually it's only a semester long not year long in US.

General advice is to manage your time wise and be organized, also start early. I didn't start till the week it was do. But i had planned it all out in my head for weeks and was always thinking ideas and resources to use. Also, i was collecting resources and data that i will be using. Last week i organized it and then went at it.

What kind of projects do you normally get?

jannat
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
To be honest , am not too sure i havnt researched into it much, but alot of them are web based systems- using php, html, or vb. the projects vary due to the courses ur on, CS students would do alot programming in their projects, i.e Java, C++ etc but i have noticed alot of students who do Internet Computing, Computing, CSIS , use alot of vb/ vb.net.

islamirama
05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
To be honest , am not too sure i havnt researched into it much, but alot of them are web based systems- using php, html, or vb. the projects vary due to the courses ur on, CS students would do alot programming in their projects, i.e Java, C++ etc but i have noticed alot of students who do Internet Computing, Computing, CSIS , use alot of vb/ vb.net.
All that is hardcore programming. I don't like that stuff, which is why i went to MIS. It's basically a IT in business context field. You're like the middle man between normal people and computer geeks. You can understand them both so you are the translator for both :)

jannat
05-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Your course sounds good and u know what to do afta ur studies, sometimes its hard to know what u want to do afta a degree esp in IT, comp r used in every field these days and everyone has some knowledge of them, the industry itself is very competitve.To work 4 Microsoft, IBM,Accenture, cisco etc , u have got to be pretty intelligient as they want the best programmers,developers etc..

Jzk for help,i hope that allah helps us all make the best of decisons in our futures inshallah.

islamirama
05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Your course sounds good and u know what to do afta ur studies, sometimes its hard to know what u want to do afta a degree esp in IT, comp r used in every field these days and everyone has some knowledge of them, the industry itself is very competitve.To work 4 Microsoft, IBM,Accenture, cisco etc , u have got to be pretty intelligient as they want the best programmers,developers etc..

Jzk for help,i hope that allah helps us all make the best of decisons in our futures inshallah.
Most people might know how to use a computer but that is all they are limited to. Then there is two aspects of IT, hardware and software, and both are a field of their own. IBM mostly takes engineers so a computer engineer or CS would fit there more than a MIS person. MS actually makes you take a test to see how good you are in some positions. Accenture is not hard to get in, just have good grades and sure enthusiasm. Cisco might be harder, just gota know your stuff. Thing you have to ask is, is this something you want to really do? and do you plan to work always?

check this out inshallah

A Career in IT

Introduction

What it takes

Typical Jobs

Education and Training

Careers in IT
http://www.prenhall.com/phitcareers/index.html

Areas in Information technology
http://www.unixl.com/dir/information_technology/

iwuvaziaf
05-08-2007, 10:13 PM
salamaleykum jannat sis

hope u r okie... are u in ur final year already?

bro islamirama.. final year projects are based on real life system.. in IS, u may have a researched based project where u have to study the current system.. and then do a research into how to improve the system.. thru it all, u have to mention all kinds of techniques.. which one is suitable etc.. same old..

If research and writing is ur weak point then u may develop an improved system to the current one.. There is still writing involved but i guess it cuts down by halves.. keep in mind there is a real life client involved.. i think that gets hectic because u have to constantly report back to ur supervisor etc.. and thou the help is appreciated, the interference does not help

Complete report consists of 10,000 words and and is equivalent to doing two modules.. 30 credits for the module.. but it has to completed for one to get thru the degree..

I am going into final yr.. so goodluk to me.. I have no idea how it works in the US..

Jannat sis.. if u need help at all.. feel free to ask me.. i will more than happy to help using the knowledge i have... but experts know it all..

but, its all abt managing ur time well.. i do regret not changing my course to MIS in my 2nd year (as it was an option) but inshaAllah! u will get thru.. all the best!

islamirama
05-09-2007, 12:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by iwuvaziaf

bro islamirama.. final year projects are based on real life system.. in IS, u may have a researched based project where u have to study the current system.. and then do a research into how to improve the system.. thru it all, u have to mention all kinds of techniques.. which one is suitable etc.. same old..

If research and writing is ur weak point then u may develop an improved system to the current one.. There is still writing involved but i guess it cuts down by halves.. keep in mind there is a real life client involved.. i think that gets hectic because u have to constantly report back to ur supervisor etc.. and thou the help is appreciated, the interference does not help

Complete report consists of 10,000 words and and is equivalent to doing two modules.. 30 credits for the module.. but it has to completed for one to get thru the degree..
It seems about the same as here. Here you have one of two options. Option one is that you get with a company and solve their problem or something related to your field and do a 15 page paper on it or something with proper research and everythinig. Option 2 is that you write scholarly paper of 30pages on some interesting topic in your field.

I choose option 1 and did it on PIA :D

jannat
05-13-2007, 06:20 PM
:sl:
I was just wondering if anyone has done a summer placement for a company, within the IT sector.

Jzk

:w:

iwuvaziaf
05-13-2007, 10:22 PM
assalamaleykum

Hope u r well Jannat.. may Allah give u a place in Jannah inshaAllah!

my friend is doing a placement right now.. i cant remember the company name right now.. pretty late in the evening! did u have any question.. if u need help, i can consult her! btw... r u in the UK?

i will try to help inshaAllah..

wsalam

jannat
05-13-2007, 10:45 PM
alhumdulillah iam well , hope everyfin is fine for u, esp the exams. me and my friends were thinkin of finding an industrial placements but its been hard to get the right one, i was thinkin of a summer placement, i hope i get inshallah. i was wondering if anyone has done one, and if so where to look for one.

jannat
05-13-2007, 11:00 PM
oh yeah i am from the UK, Manchester. i hope ur studies r goin well and the exams too inshallah.

iwuvaziaf
05-13-2007, 11:06 PM
alhamdullilah

jazakallah for the kind words... well again, location? in the UK, i know we have summer interns in banks and sum I.T. firms.. I, myself did not take a year out but my friend is doing a placement by taking a gap yr... mashaAllah, doing really really well! practical hands-on experience gives u a jump start which is obvious, isnt it!

For summer interns, i do believe you have to apply in advance but may luck follow u where u go. Try contacting top I.T firms... its a little late to use employment agencies.

I would say, make a list of firms that do take on interns.. even if they dont, just try your luck by doing something voluntarily.. then write to them, call them or even arrange to meet them. I know that it is soo difficult to get a decent job. I'm not much worried for sum reason.. Gettin thru my final year is my biggest worry.. lets see how it goes.. My exams are round the corner.. are you just coming to the end of your second year?

wsalam

jannat
05-13-2007, 11:18 PM
jzk for ur help,
i have done half of yr 2 this yr and i have another half to complete inshallah, i know what u mean abt 3rd yr coz its not easy. i have seen loads of 3rd years working every single day on their projects at uni and its scarys me, i pray we all get through it successfully inshallah. i have to say i find computers a real challenge, its not easy to get ur head round it. May allah tala make it easy for us inshallah. Tc .. All the best.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.