/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Concept of "only God can judge" in christianity

Malaikah
05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Hello!

Something i am curious about, and seems to come up rather often, is that Christians make comments such as God is the only One who can judge, and by this I get the impression that they are not allowed to judge anyone on anything.

While there is an element of truth in this, I am confused by the extent to which this is applied. Does this mean that setting up court systems is not allowed in Christianity because this involves judging between people? What happens then to criminals and the like? Do they just walk free?

Awaiting clarification, thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
"first take the log out of your own eye, and you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye" (Matthew 7:5).

"in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you" (Matthew 7:2).

What Jesus is saying is that judgement should not be hypocritical. "Those without sin should cast the first stone". Obviously mankind has to pass judgement on those who break with the laws. From my understanding, the standard of judgement isn't perfection, but the Word of God. If judgement is based on the Word of God, one should not condemn another for a sin they themselves are guilty of.

Malaikah
05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
What Jesus is saying is that judgement should not be hypocritical.
Ah, okay, that makes sense.

Obviously mankind has to pass judgement on those who break with the laws.
So that is allowed?

From my understanding, the standard of judgement isn't perfection, but the Word of God. If judgement is based on the Word of God, one should not condemn another for a sin they themselves are guilty of.
I'm not sure I understand this. I think you are saying that there will be problems with the way we judge, which is only natural of course. But I don't understand the rest. Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

Umar001
05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
"first take the log out of your own eye, and you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye" (Matthew 7:5).

"in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you" (Matthew 7:2).

What Jesus is saying is that judgement should not be hypocritical. "Those without sin should cast the first stone". Obviously mankind has to pass judgement on those who break with the laws. From my understanding, the standard of judgement isn't perfection, but the Word of God. If judgement is based on the Word of God, one should not condemn another for a sin they themselves are guilty of.
Would you be for an Old Testament Law adherence, since its a Law God gave to people it musta been good.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Would you be for an Old Testament Law adherence, since its a Law God gave to people it musta been good.
Christians consider the New Covenant with Christ as the most important laws to follow, not necessarily those of the Old Testament. However, to answer your question more directly, no I wouldn't. At least not by the kind of theocratic governments that have existed in the past.

Keltoi
05-09-2007, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Ah, okay, that makes sense.

So that is allowed?

I'm not sure I understand this. I think you are saying that there will be problems with the way we judge, which is only natural of course. But I don't understand the rest. Could you please clarify?

Thanks.
Judgement is obviously allowed. That is the only thing that keeps a civilization together, laws and respect for those laws. Christ spoke quite a bit about the slippery slope of hypocrisy when it comes to law and judgement. From my understanding, judging others will obviously be required by those who enforce the law, whatever those laws may be. However, one should avoid hypocrisy, especially in the case of God's Laws, as the story about Christ and Mary Magdalene points out fairly well. It is easy to pass judgement, but one should look at one's self first before condemning others.

dougmusr
05-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Hello!

Something i am curious about, and seems to come u rather often, is that Christians make comments such as God is the only One who can judge, and by this I get the impression that they are not allowed to judge anyone on anything.

While there is an element of truth in this, I am confused by the extent to which this is applied. Does this mean that setting up court systems is not allowed in Christianity because this involves judging between people? What happens then to criminals and the like? Do they just walk free?

Awaiting clarification, thanks.
There are laws established by societies to maintain order, and these obviously require courts amd judges.

Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.
4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience' sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God's ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

Then there are laws related to an individuals relationship to and standing before God.

Romans 14:1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written: "As I live, says the LORD, Every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to God." 12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.
13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way.

I believe that when Christ said we should not judge, He was saying that only God knows the heart of an individual. It is our responsibility to share the Word of God with the world. All are worthy to be given an opportunity to hear His Word. If we deem a person to be unworthy of hearing God's Word, we have judged them in God's place.

Malaikah
05-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. It seems that we are in agreement for the most part.

I was astounded at the comments I had been reading, which to me, suggested that all kind of judging, even for law enforcement was wrong. I'm glad that is not the case.

August
05-09-2007, 06:24 AM
I was astounded at the comments I had been reading, which to me, suggested that all kind of judging, even for law enforcement was wrong. I'm glad that is not the case.
That view is sadly fairly common in Christianity. I'm Catholic, so I and my Church believe in certain moral standards which must be upheld. However, I have in my extended family 3 liberal Lutheran pastors. They never tell someone that they're doing immoral things, because "only God can judge." Fortunately, the "judge nobody" liberal denominations are loosing members and the more conservative denominations are growing.

Malaikah
05-09-2007, 06:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
They never tell someone that they're doing immoral things, because "only God can judge."
I know exactly what you mean. I don't see this from knowledgeable people with high positions, but from common Muslims.

The problem is that they can't see the difference between giving someone sincere advice and reminding them that what they are doing is wrong, and actually judging a person.

It drives me nuts- you can't give people advice these days because they will accuse you of being judgemental. :raging:

And it is such a double standard also. If the act the person was doing was a crime, them everyone knows that they should say something and give the person advice, but if it a sin (though not punishable by law), then no, you can't say anything because that is judging. :rollseyes

Grace Seeker
05-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Jesus says things like "judge not, lest you be judged" and people who are fearful of being judged by others (one can only suppose why) try to make that philosophy itself the law of human relationships. But I think they remove Jesus from his context.

The point to me is what Jesus follows with later in that same conversation, the standard by which you judge others is the standard by which you will be judged. And again, there are those who then want us to take it easy on everyone and allow all things so that they can likewise do whatever they want without fear of being called on it. I think that Jesus is merely telling us to be fair in how we treat others. Do not use for them a higher standard than you would use for yourself.

But are we to judge others? Well, in the final analysis, maybe "judge" isn't the right word. Maybe we do leave that for God. But most certainly we are to hold one another accountable. Here is what Paul had to say when there was immorality present in one church:
What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you." (1 Corinthians 5:12-13)
And Jesus even gave directions on how to settle conflicts within the Church that involve what is in essence a church trial (see Matthew 18).

So, with one another within the church, there seems to be reason to hold one another accountable with regard to moral behavior. Those outside the church, we leave to God to judge. The church only holds Christians, not non-Christians to the standards set forth for us by Christ.

As far as participating in the secular law of the land, we can as long as we don't violate any of our Christian principles in the process. So, we shouldn't support slavery even if it is legal. (One of the biggest smears on American Christians is that we let slavery go unchecked for too long in our own country.)

Malaikah
05-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks Grace Seeker.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.