/* */

PDA

View Full Version : In Britian, 'Ninjabis' learn to fight back

AmarFaisal
05-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Assalamoalaikum,
I remmember I read a thread at this forum inviting ladies in Britian to this club. I recently read an article on these ladies in Kuwait Times. I thought the "ninjabis" in this forum who r taking part in this (if any) and others who r giving it a thought would find it interesting to know that ur getting popular around the world. Here is the article:

In Britian, 'Ninjabis' learn to fight back
by Amil Kha
n

Anyone tempted to pick on a headscarf wearing Muslim women better hope they don't run into a Ninjabi. Every weak around 30 Muslim women , most wearing veils , gather in a community centre in east London to learn how to block ,knee, and punch would be attackers or lecherous men targetting passive looking victims. The organisiers, who named the classes after japanese Ninja warrios and women who wear the hijab, say Muslim women are looking to fight back against unwanted advances an rising number to anti-Muslim attacks . "The ladies love the Ninja thing. It gives them a good giggle", said class instructor Dee Terry , who is not a Muslim herself.

One of the attendees, 31 year old mother Mahmuda Mazid, said she took up the classes after a gang of youths tried to rob her teenage brother while she was with him in a local park."There was this sheer feeling of helplessness That I couldn't help myself or my brother..and there was absolute rage" she said "I knew I had to do something to equip myself . In the class I saw protection and self defense. That's what I needed"

The classes start with a warm up and then the women -no men are allowed- practise punches,strickes using heel of the hand ,knee strikes to the groin and defences against knives and sticks. Terry also teaches the women how to diter potential attackers by looking assertive. The loose full length clothing favoured by Muslim women rules out high kicking manoeuvres but does not otherwise hinder movement, says Terry. The hijab and the niqab- which covers the face and leaves only the eyes visible- clearly identify Muslim women , increasing their chances of becoming victims of anti-muslim hostility. But Terry says that Islamic clothing itself does not make it easeir to attack a woman. "An attacker can pull your head scarf but then can also pull your hair , so Islamic clothes don't make that much of a difference" added Terry, who also teaches Judo,Jujitsu and Kickboxing.

In the dilapidated area where the classes are held, Muslim women said their biggest worry was harassment from "pervy men" and the violent anti-social behaviour of teenagers from urban low income communities, popularly called "hoodeis" and "chavs". In other areas of London , Muslim women said growing hostility towards Mulims -commonly called Islamophobia - since London 's July 7th bombings in 2005 was a big fear. Figures collated by London 's metropolitan Police , and presented in a report by Muslim safety Forum showed 303 attacks in July 2005 , up from 82 in previous month.

Azad Ali, chairman of the forum, said the attacks ranged from verbal abuse and vandalism of mosques to physical attacks. But because of limitations in the way attacks are reported, the real number is likely to be far higher, he added. National figures are lacking because there is no universally agreed criteria among the country's police forces for what constitutes an islamophobia attack, said Ali. Muslims, who make up about 3 persent of Britian's polulation , also do not readily report attacks.

An initiative by London 's police to engage with Muslim women found many did not report attacks because they felt the police would not act. Others had limited English and were unable to register complaints without help. "The issue of reporting crime...was major concern amongst certain (Muslim) communities" the police said in a report on meetings with Muslim Women. "This may lead to disenchantment with the process and eventual disengaement from the police and justice system" the police added in the report.

Official figures cite London as having the largest proportion of Muslim in the UK at 3.8%. The Ninjabis classes are held in the Newham are of the capital , where the Muslims make up 24% of the local inhabitants. The organisers said the classes were a response to overwhelming demand from Muslim women. "It was a need. Women were coming and asking for self defence classes. We had heard of increasing Islamophobia and othre sorts of attacks on Muslim Women" said Mizan Raja, a coordenator of Islamic Circles, the organisation running the classes.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/inDep...3?feedType=RSS

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
HBot 5000
05-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Nice one ladies..... :statisfie

Snowflake
05-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Sadly there's no such classes in my area.

The loose full length clothing favoured by Muslim women rules out high kicking manoeuvres but does not otherwise hinder movement
I've noticed that too. And it did occur to me to design a jilbaab which would allow such manoeuvres without compromising modesty. I've seen some sisters wearing really narrow skirts and jilbabs that barely allow them to take long steps, never mind do high-kicks. I wonder if sisters would be interested in ninja-style clothing? :p

Musaafirah
05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey, if you wear a loose jilbaab, it is possible to do a high kick..I've managed to do so, but then would that be coz I'm short?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
05-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Deleted a bunch of spam. If you want to talk about tents, open a thread about camping.

islamirama
05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Hey, if you wear a loose jilbaab, it is possible to do a high kick..I've managed to do so, but then would that be coz I'm short?
Look at monks, they basically have abayas on and they have been doing martial arts for centuries, and are the best ones in the world at what they do.

AmarFaisal
05-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Has anyone seen the video on reality Tv of this nun who practices Karate in her nun dress. She is an expert and has no problem practising in the long dress.

Is this spam too?^^

Muezzin
05-10-2007, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmarFaisal
Has anyone seen the video on reality Tv of this nun who practices Karate in her nun dress. She is an expert and has no problem practising in the long dress.

Is this spam too?^^
Nah it's not spam, because you're not talking about 'tents', you're talking about the subject matter of the thread.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Yea I was gunna say something like that. What about Japanese people. They dress loosely when fighting. Especially the women too. You cant really even kick high in tight jeans. Paaleaseee.

H4RUN
05-15-2007, 05:23 PM
:sl:

This would be well kewl if all the sisters had the facility near by and went...It would give just that much more peace of mind to their loved ones...only issue is that all this ninja malarki takes time and commitment, and to be fair to be successful on the streets against a mob you're gonna have to be very very good at what you do=lots of years training....:)

And that dont mean you shouldnt try it out, a few simple moves could jyst give the few seconds advantage to get away:D....then batman and robbin and there cousin superman will deal wid the rest:D

Oh and 'ninjabi's' sounds lethal:p
As the geezer in the karate kid would say 'FOCUS!':D
P E A C E
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.