/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for a formal debate section

Philosopher
05-10-2007, 02:25 AM
I've seen in several religious forums that there is a section for formal debates, between two people. The debates are in specific rounds and specific durations (ex. 2 weeks). I think it would benefit us if we formed a separate section for formal debates. It is between 2 members and a moderator moderates to see if all rules are being followed. All posts other than participant's are deleted by the moderators.

Anyone agree with this idea??

Sample formal debates are here:
http://iidb.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=198587
http://www.richarddawkins.net/forum/...ic.php?t=12232

Vote up!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Philosopher
05-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Anyone??

There are so many debates in the comparative religion section that I think its only fair if we have a section for a mature one on one debating.

Pk_#2
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Sorry i just wanted to click 'no'

So i did..Peace.

Philosopher
05-10-2007, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
So people agree it's a good idea??

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
united
05-10-2007, 05:28 PM
i think its a great idea. sometimes debates go off in so many different directions its hard to keep up with them. some things get left unanswered etc.

Muezzin
05-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Perhaps this matter should be decided by a debate?

:p

united
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
well that would have to be an informal debate...

Muezzin
05-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I vehemently disagree with that assertion!

But I'm actually joking. Yeah, I guess a debate section would be a good idea if people actually use it properly rather than abusing it to spread hate and headaches.

islamirama
05-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Is tagging allowed? if you are weaker link and someone with stronger knowledge can switch with you?

united
05-10-2007, 05:42 PM
like wrestling :?
before u know it the whole crowd will be jumping in.
i guess the people could pick up information from others

Philosopher
05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Is tagging allowed? if you are weaker link and someone with stronger knowledge can switch with you?
Only if your opponent agrees.

This thread would have been better if it was in a formal debate:

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...nst-egypt.html

snakelegs
05-11-2007, 01:49 AM
i voted no. i'm really tired of these endless debates about religion and think they are quite pointless.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-11-2007, 02:33 AM
:sl:

This was suggested before here and one of our Admins, Ansar Al-'Adl said this*:
I think informal open discussions are much better because everyone can contribute, it doesn't monopolize the discussions, you are not confined to time limits, you don't have to spend time negotiating rules, you have the option of leaving a discussion with a closeminded individual, you are not under pressure to represent anyone, it is not an "us" vs. "them" ego-slugfest, etc. Also, in a formal debate, the debator would probably get swarmed with member feedback and points - why not just have those members post the points themselves?

Muezzin
05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i voted no. i'm really tired of these endless debates about religion and think they are quite pointless.
Cool, my whining may actually have affected somebody! :D

------
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Cool, my whining may actually have affected somebody! :D
:salamext:

No, u don't say things like that. Thats not right :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.