/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Online dating?

engawa
05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm married so this isn't for me :D but just out of curiosity. I've seen a lot of Muslim online dating sites. Is this allowed or would it be considered dating since you'd be talking online with the person, exchanging photos, etc.? I know that a lot of young people (especially new Muslims and some Americans) do not have many options for match making. I was just curious on what the overall thinking was on this topic.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-10-2007, 08:11 PM
From all that I see and hear, they are haraam and should not be used by Muslims.

dating in any form is Haraam

islamirama
05-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Dating is haraam, regardless of what means are used.

There are, however, match making sites that are becoming very popular with muslims. Sites like www.shaadi.com have lot of muslims going to select their potential partners. It by no means you start exhanging photos and get "friendly", it is to find someone with common interests and then families of both sides are involved in it. I have an article on this, inshallah i'll share that tonight.

Hashim_507
05-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Premarital relationship is haram for muslims to engage. Premarital relationship will lead to illegal sex. I understand that their are worse situation for new muslims when it comes to match making. They are a lot of solutions for new brothers\sisters to get match. The whole muslim community needs to address those merriage issues such as match making. Working as a community will support to solve those issues.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
August
05-10-2007, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Could you explain? How do people decide to get married without dating? Are all Muslim marriages by necessity arranged? Or is there a proper model for courtship? Thanks

Woodrow
05-10-2007, 11:58 PM
The proper way is if a young man is interested in a young lady he will aproach her father and tell him of his intentions. The Father will then arrange a meeting between both sets of parents. The young mans family will tell why their son will be good for the daughter.

If things go smothly there will then be a series of meetings arrainged between the Young man, the young lady and her Wali. At this point they are to see if they have any feelings towards each other. If so the next step will be to arrange a marriage between them.

That is the condensed version, but roughly explains the proper procedures.

islamirama
05-11-2007, 04:42 AM
CNET: Muslims turning to Web for Marriage
When "Sweetgal," a 29-year-old British Muslim from central England, began looking for a new husband last year, at first she didn't know where to turn.

The answer, it turned out, was on the Internet.

She'd been married once--a union arranged by her parents--to a man from Pakistan. It lasted seven years and produced children but broke down due to cultural differences and she didn't want to go through a similar trauma again.

At the same time, being a respectful Muslim who wears hijab, she wasn't going to start "dating," and knew her parents would have to be involved in her new search in one way or another.

Over the past two years there has been a boom in the use of Web sites that introduce Muslim men and women, not for casual dating, but for those actively seeking traditional Muslim marriage.

Where once young British Muslims might have had a marriage arranged to a spouse from the country of their parents' origin--perhaps Pakistan or Bangladesh--it is now much more common for them to marry within the Muslim community in Britain.

"Whereas before she would meet 10 or 20 people through her family, now she potentially has millions to choose from...It has put power in her hands, allowing her to shape her destiny when it comes to marriage."
--Geeta Sri Vastav, UK head of Shaadi.com
Sweetgal, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity, has been registered on www.singlemuslim.com for several months, in which time she's found someone she hopes could be a marriage prospect. She does not allow her picture to appear on the site.

"My parents are coming round (to the idea)," she said. "He's a British Pakistani Muslim and more in line with what I'm looking for.

Where marriages used to be fixed up solely by parents with the help of religious leaders, the Internet now plays an influential role in bringing partners together, even if parents remain part of the equation.

Singlemuslim.com, which calls itself Britain's largest Muslim introductions agency, has seen registered users more than double over the past year to 100,000, as word has spread about its service, not only among singles but their parents too.

Such is the demand for trustworthy introductions that its founder is now opening sites in the United States, Canada and Australia to cater to large Muslim communities there.

"Our success rate is extremely high," said Adeem Younis, who founded the site from his base in West Yorkshire six years ago.

"Two people a day, on average, are coming off the site having found success, which is a lot really. We're seeing the number of traditionally arranged marriages dropping quite rapidly as this becomes more popular."

More straightforward
"For some people it's difficult because I've got children," said Sweetgal. "I want someone who is caring and understands where I'm coming from. That's why the site's really useful--I can be so much more straightforward on the Web."

Sweetgal is not alone. One of the most marked effects of the growth of sites that cater to Muslims as well as Sikhs, Hindus, Tamils and others across South Asia looking for traditional marriage, is the empowerment of women.

On some sites, more than half the registered users are professional women with above-average incomes who use the service to save time and broaden the scope of their search. They are direct and demanding about what they are looking for.

"It's been a major revolution," said Geeta Sri Vastav, the UK head of www.shaadi.com, which calls itself the world's largest matrimonial service, with 10 million registered users, most in South Asia--in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

In Britain, where 700,000 people are registered, 40 percent of users say they have an average annual income of 40,000 pounds or $80,000.

"In the past, an Asian woman who came of age didn't have too many choices in terms of marriage. But the Internet has increased her options immensely," Sri Vastav said.

"Whereas before she would meet 10 or 20 people through her family, now she potentially has millions to choose from. She has the initiative. It has put power in her hands, allowing her to shape her destiny when it comes to marriage."

Family-friendly
Another impact of the sites, particularly in Britain, where there are approximately 1.8 million Muslims, is to increase the tendency for young people to "marry in," rather than looking to marry someone from their "home" country.

Rapid changes in lifestyle, wealth and outlook have increased the gap between Britain and the countries where most of its Muslims originally came from--Pakistan and Bangladesh--making cross-national marriage a much trickier affair.

New immigration laws introduced since September 11, 2001 have also made it more difficult for potential brides or grooms from countries like Pakistan to enter Britain for marriage.

"Anita." a Sunni Muslim and typical user of one of the sites in Britain, is a case in point. In her profile, she makes it clear she does not want a non-British Muslim partner.

Now on News.com:

* Your online guide to green tech
* News Corp. sets sights on Dow Jones
* Extra: Condemned to Google hell
* Video: Live baseball on your mobile phone?

"Must be a U.K. citizen, preferably raised in the U.K.," she writes, adding: "Once compatibility is established, would prefer family involvement. My family know I am looking so would prefer someone who is looking with permission from their family."

There are no precise figures on Muslim marriages in Britain, but community leaders say trends have changed rapidly in recent years, particularly as far as strictly arranged marriages go, and point to education and the Internet as the main causes.

"It's just not as common anymore," said Ghayasuddin Siddiqui, the head of the Muslim Parliament of Britain.

"People coming from abroad find it difficult to adjust, and people living here find they have much more compatibility with Muslims who were also born or grew up here, so the demand for the old traditional arranged marriage just isn't there."

A side-effect of Muslim women's increased confidence that he's noticed, however, is that there now appear to be fewer "good Muslim male" marriage prospects to go around.

That's led to some women marrying outside their community, so a British Pakistani woman might marry a British Bangladeshi.

Story Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Nyomi
05-13-2007, 10:48 AM
I think, done respectfully, this could be a good way for reverts to meet a husband or wife.. :)

Talibatul Ilm
05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
dating is dating, whether its done in person, on the phone or on the net. the fact remains that if you have a pure intention for marriage there needs to be the male, female and the wali present so they can get to know each other. i know dozens of reverts who got married in halal ways and didnt have to resort to something like this.

Andrew
05-22-2007, 09:01 PM
I did not even realise dating was not allowed. My parents moved up north 3 years ago and I wanted to stay in the midlands so I moved in with my Girlfriend and we got a place in Coventry. Everything has been good for us, and I know she is the lady I will marry but I am sad to learn that this is something that is deemed to be wrong.

- Qatada -
05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey. I just wanted to post this since it may be relevant to the discussion:

Why has Islam prohibited dating?

"Dating" as it is currently practiced in much of the world shall not exist among Muslims -- where a man and a woman (or boy/girl) are in a one-on-one intimate relationship, spending time together alone, getting to know each other in a very deep way.

A man and a woman are not allowed to be alone together, and any physical contact before marriage is forbidden. Hence, Dating is not permitted in Islam.

Allah has prohibited girl/boyfriend relationships in the Qur'an

"(Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time, when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends. ... ” - Qur'an Al-Ma'idah 5:5.

If a Muslim man has the desire and willingness to assume marital responsibilities, and he doesn’t have anyone in mind, he might ask his friends, family, and relatives if there is a lady that might be suitable for him among their acquaintances and relatives, and then the couple can meet with their family members.

As a result, many marriages in the Muslim world were traditionally arranged marriages, though this is not a religious requirement. However, both couples can not be forced to accept an arranged marriage and if a man likes someone (with the intention of marriage) that he knows from work, neighborhood or acquaintances, etc… he shall propose to her.

Islam also encourages Muslims to marry persons for whom they have special feelings and are comfortable with. Thus, Islam recommends that potential marriage partners see one another before proposing marriage. Explaining the reason for such a recommendation, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

“That would enhance/foster the bonding.”

However the prospective couple shall not meet in private, this might lead to extremely unwanted situations, as Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said :

“Whenever a man is alone with a woman, Satan is the third among them” (Reported by At-Tirmidhi)..

At all times, Muslims should follow the commands of the Qur'an "Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. "

In conclusion, Islam lays its social structure on the basis of a permanent relationship between a man and a woman in the form of a family.

Consequently, to preserve this marital relationship, it forbids all forms of temporary relationships between a man and a woman. Pre-marital relationships in Islam are not considered respectful for neither the man nor the woman, nor is it constructive for the concept or the building the family or the Islamic society.

adeel
05-23-2007, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Hey. I just wanted to post this since it may be relevant to the discussion:

Why has Islam prohibited dating?

"Dating" as it is currently practiced in much of the world shall not exist among Muslims -- where a man and a woman (or boy/girl) are in a one-on-one intimate relationship, spending time together alone, getting to know each other in a very deep way.

A man and a woman are not allowed to be alone together, and any physical contact before marriage is forbidden. Hence, Dating is not permitted in Islam.

Allah has prohibited girl/boyfriend relationships in the Qur'an

"(Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time, when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends. ... ” - Qur'an Al-Ma'idah 5:5.

If a Muslim man has the desire and willingness to assume marital responsibilities, and he doesn’t have anyone in mind, he might ask his friends, family, and relatives if there is a lady that might be suitable for him among their acquaintances and relatives, and then the couple can meet with their family members.

As a result, many marriages in the Muslim world were traditionally arranged marriages, though this is not a religious requirement. However, both couples can not be forced to accept an arranged marriage and if a man likes someone (with the intention of marriage) that he knows from work, neighborhood or acquaintances, etc… he shall propose to her.

Islam also encourages Muslims to marry persons for whom they have special feelings and are comfortable with. Thus, Islam recommends that potential marriage partners see one another before proposing marriage. Explaining the reason for such a recommendation, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

“That would enhance/foster the bonding.”

However the prospective couple shall not meet in private, this might lead to extremely unwanted situations, as Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said :

“Whenever a man is alone with a woman, Satan is the third among them” (Reported by At-Tirmidhi)..

At all times, Muslims should follow the commands of the Qur'an "Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. "

In conclusion, Islam lays its social structure on the basis of a permanent relationship between a man and a woman in the form of a family.

Consequently, to preserve this marital relationship, it forbids all forms of temporary relationships between a man and a woman. Pre-marital relationships in Islam are not considered respectful for neither the man nor the woman, nor is it constructive for the concept or the building the family or the Islamic society.
this is good tought me alot. :D:thumbs_up

borboski
05-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Am I right in thinking that many people who consider themselves Muslims just don't take that part of the Koran seriously? Sometimes I'm alone with muslim women at work - or at university acquitances who I assume were Muslim got together will have been 1-1 much of the time.

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 12:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by borboski
Am I right in thinking that many people who consider themselves Muslims just don't take that part of the Koran seriously? Sometimes I'm alone with muslim women at work - or at university acquitances who I assume were Muslim got together will have been 1-1 much of the time.

I believe that does happen more often than we would like to admit. remember, although we are Muslim, we do have the ability to sin and to make grave errors in judgement that leads to giving in to temptation.

You may find this hard to believe, but in spite of our funny looking clothes we are still human and still subject to the vices of the world.

borboski
05-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Obviously I don't see it as a vice - just normal behaviour, but I see what you mean. What I also think is regardless of the actual rights or wrongs of Koran (which of course a muslim would take seriously) applying that sort of rule will in most situations disproportionately impact upon women. E.g. men are already in the workplace, already in positions of power, and going to uni, and so on, and applying this rule really strictly would stop women accessing a whole bunch of opportunities.

Interesting when arranged marriages, or more formal "chaperoned" relationships work, though.

skhalid
06-18-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't agree with shaadi.com who's with me?

dilkadr
06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
From all that I see and hear, they are haraam and should not be used by Muslims.

Would appreciate if someone shad some light on the attributes of dating - What is dating at all???:-[

Woodrow
06-28-2007, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dilkadr
Would appreciate if someone shad some light on the attributes of dating - What is dating at all???:-[
It is really difficult to explain dating to non-Americans. In fact even in America it really did not come into it's present form until after WW2. The coming of the automobiles seems to have been the chief former of dating.

The best way to think of it is a chance for teenage boys and girls to get off alone with each other and with no supervision.

dilkadr
06-28-2007, 07:18 PM
It is really difficult to explain dating to non-Americans. In fact even in America it really did not come into it's present form until after WW2. The coming of the automobiles seems to have been the chief former of dating.

The best way to think of it is a chance for teenage boys and girls to get off alone with each other and with no supervision.
In the age of Internet knowledge is equally available to everyone. It is just a matter of choice what one like to know. Accepting and then Practicing comes later on.

Media have taught each and every aspect of American Life and American Life Style.

It is the only reason why people are so much against the phenomena of dating - (because of the implicit dangers and unexpected outcomes)

Simply dating is nothing but to meet someone of same gender or of opposite gender by appointment for some social reasons like going for dinner, amusement parks, museums, long drives etc. (I do not say cinema as it is not welcomed in Muslims). Obviously we meet only people whom we find similar in some way.

It is present day life, everyone have strict academic &/or work timetables. Finding same free time slot with family or friends seems next to impossible (when I am free they are busy, when they are free then I am busy :statisfie).

In such a situation dating agencies and website come into action to set 2 people of same interests to share same free timing. It also provide an opportunity to get other person better. Which could lead to a lasting relationship like Marriage.

I am not an advocated of dating but let me elaborate - dating originally meant for social purposes. As it is more prevailing among Americans who are more physical fun oriented and their rules of proximity are much different from Muslim. Furthermore, media has promoted it as a source of hidden or occasional relations which I believe not a single sober person welcome.

It is how I perceive the idea of dating. I never support dating to be used as a source for premarital or extramarital relations.

I believe their is no harm to see someone in a public place - a coffeehouse, cafeteria, restaurant, or a public park to have a light chit chat, exchange of ideas etc. (with or without supervision). It provide better understanding among the 2 and may help to deiced to select the future life partner, but it must not be misused.

Allah Knows Best. May Allah Help Us to Survive through this world to the world hereafter.

Yanal
06-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes it is strictly haraam to have any boyfriends or girlfriends in islam

dilkadr
06-28-2007, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Yes it is strictly haraam not to have any boyfriends or girlfriends in islam

:sl:
I agree 100% Boyfriend / Girlfriend relation is prohibited in Islam - if Boyfriend / Girlfriend relation is referring to living together as husband and wife without Nikkah.

After Nikkah a Man and Woman become friends of each other too. Ref. Sura 30 Aayat 21

Allah Knows Best

snakelegs
06-28-2007, 11:41 PM
yanal,
you made a funny little mistake. you meant "it is strictly haram to have any boyfriends or girlfriends in islam". you wrote that it is haram not to have them!

Yanal
06-29-2007, 02:28 AM
WHO TOLD YOU IT WAS ALLLOWED soz about the caps

syilla
06-29-2007, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
WHO TOLD YOU IT WAS ALLLOWED soz about the caps
I think snakelegs trying to correct your sentence.

There is "not" in your sentence, please check it out.

snakelegs
06-29-2007, 08:40 PM
lol, i see you've corrected your funny little mistake.
i don't know if you are talking to me, but i know that it is not allowed.

saira-k
06-30-2007, 11:29 PM
hmm im not sure about these sites..but if ppl stick to the lines within islam..then al good.

SuperBest
07-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Is it okay to approach someone of the opposite sex on a site like myspace?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.