Amadeus85
05-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Church Rumors Incite Mob Attack in Egypt
By
Ethan Cole
Christian Post Reporter
Sat, May. 12 2007 09:49 AM ET
[
A mob of Muslims in Egypt attacked Christians on Friday after being stirred up by a sermon and distributed leaflets that informed them that Christians were planning to build a church without permission.

Following a Muslim prayer meeting Friday, Christian homes and shops were set on fire and ten Coptic Christians were injured in clashes in the village of Bamha, about 15 miles south of Cairo, reported Agence France-Presse.

Hundreds of people from both faiths took up arms brandishing sticks, hatchets and hurling bricks and firebombs at one another.

“It’s a recurring problem,” commented Sameh Fawzi, an expert on Coptic affairs, according to Los Angeles Times. “Most sectarian conflicts that erupted in the past were due to fights over the construction of churches.”

Under Egyptian law, no church can be constructed without a presidential decree. In constrast, the construction of mosques in Egypt is almost unrestricted.

Coptic Christians – who comprise the majority of Egypt’s nearly 10 percent Christian population – have often complained about the restriction on building churches, pointing to it as an example of the discrimination faced by Christians in Egypt. Another major complaint by believers is their low representation in the Egyptian government compared to their population in the country.

It is still unclear, however, whether the Christians were planning to construct a new church or expand a house used for prayer and if they had a building permit.

On Friday, hundreds of police reportedly intervened and stopped the fight after at least 27 Christian-owned houses and shops were damaged by fire, according to Reuters.

Other recent sectarian clashes included one in the same village in February 2006 that resulted in the arrests of 32 residents, and in April 2006 when a 78-year-old Coptic man was killed by a Muslim man who attacked three churches in Alexandria, according to AFP.

In the latter violence, the government had labeled the Muslim attacker as “mentally unstable” causing anger among Coptics who said the government failed to protect them. The church attacks also caused three days of sectarian clashes that left one Muslim dead.

Egyptian security forces have arrested 59 Muslims in relations to Friday’s attacks and charged them with arson and spreading sectarian strife on Saturday, according to Reuters. Additional Muslim villagers are detained without charges waiting for investigation. No Christians are being held.

http://www.christianpost.com/article...s_in_Egypt.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Karimeldib
05-13-2007, 11:39 AM
I live in Egypt and i think that this "christians dont get their rights" retoric is way too much. Do christians have totaly freedom here? no, but who does? the Muslims? the press? Christians they have the freedom to talk when ever they want, to go on tv shows and talk about their religion, all their festivals are officail holidays, egypt's richest man, Sawiras, is a christan...
"Other recent sectarian clashes included one in the same village in February 2006 that resulted in the arrests of 32 residents, and in April 2006 when a 78-year-old Coptic man was killed by a Muslim man who attacked three churches in Alexandria, according to AFP." they just forgot to mention that this whole issue in April happened because there was a play making fun of the quran and the Prophet peace be upon him in one of these churches..

Woodrow
05-13-2007, 12:28 PM
An interesting part of the story, only made the last paragraph.

Egyptian security forces have arrested 59 Muslims in relations to Friday’s attacks and charged them with arson and spreading sectarian strife on Saturday, according to Reuters. Additional Muslim villagers are detained without charges waiting for investigation. No Christians are being held.
Seems like the official stand of Egypt is to protect the Copts.

ACC
05-13-2007, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karimeldib
I live in Egypt and i think that this "christians dont get their rights" retoric is way too much. Do christians have totaly freedom here? no, but who does? the Muslims? the press? Christians they have the freedom to talk when ever they want, to go on tv shows and talk about their religion, all their festivals are officail holidays, egypt's richest man, Sawiras, is a christan...
"Other recent sectarian clashes included one in the same village in February 2006 that resulted in the arrests of 32 residents, and in April 2006 when a 78-year-old Coptic man was killed by a Muslim man who attacked three churches in Alexandria, according to AFP." they just forgot to mention that this whole issue in April happened because there was a play making fun of the quran and the Prophet peace be upon him in one of these churches..
If I want to make fun of the quran or mohamed, that is my choice. I shouldnt be killed for it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
05-13-2007, 12:59 PM
^Yeah, but you have to bear in mind the consequences of your choices. Everyone does. It's called common sense. If I know of a particular angry man who hates people pointing out the size of his nose, then it's not right for him to beat me up when I do; but on the other hand, what did I expect?

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Seems like the official stand of Egypt is to protect the Copts.
Indeed.

Muslims who attack people of other religions just because they want to build a place of worship should be ashamed of themselves. Even in this case, if it's against the law of the land unless they have a presidential decree, it's not for Muslim civilians to take the law into their own hands. We know this. We are not taught to be lawless braggarts and it pains me when people try to justify such behaviour by distorting Islamic teachings.

Amadeus85
05-13-2007, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

Indeed.

Muslims who attack people of other religions just because they want to build a place of worship should be ashamed of themselves. Even in this case, if it's against the law of the land unless they have a presidential decree, it's not for Muslim civilians to take the law into their own hands. We know this. We are not taught to be lawless braggarts and it pains me when people try to justify such behaviour by distorting Islamic teachings.
Agree.

Zman
05-14-2007, 03:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ACC
If I want to make fun of the quran or mohamed, that is my choice.
Ok, then put your money where your mouth is.

I'd love to see you "make fun" (which is a lighter way of saying disrespecting) the following, right now:

1. Jews/the Torah/Israel
2. The Holocaust.

Don't worry, we won't kill you if you say it...

ACC
05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman
Ok, then put your money where your mouth is.

I'd love to see you "make fun" (which is a lighter way of saying disrespecting) the following, right now:

1. Jews/the Torah/Israel
2. The Holocaust.

Don't worry, we won't kill you if you say it...
I would gladly do that, but I would be immediately kicked off the forum and my post deleted. That being said, if I did make fun of those things, I would definitely not fear for my life at all.

Sami Zaatari
05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
If I want to make fun of the quran or mohamed, that is my choice. I shouldnt be killed for it.
true true. you can, but not if your in a muslim country you cant. :)

we in muslim countries dont allow people to make fun of our religion and prophets. you may say thats not right and bring up free speech nonsense, well that wont work, we view religion different than you, unlike you, we dont see it as a mere play tool that can be mocked by atheists and agnostics as you do in the west, neither does your own bible! leviticus chapter 24 calls for the execution of those who commit blasphemy, so this i can make fun of god and religion nonsense is not supported by the Quran or Bible. and any muslim on this forum, or elsehwere comes and tells u that in a muslim country u have the right to insult and mock Islam are either ignorant, or lying to you and being political correct.

Woodrow
05-14-2007, 09:06 PM
A quick rule of thumb, if you live in a country you live by the rules of the country. If you can not live within the laws and rules, you move. It is not a question of fairness, it is simple fact.

ACC
05-14-2007, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
true true. you can, but not if your in a muslim country you cant. :)

we in muslim countries dont allow people to make fun of our religion and prophets. you may say thats not right and bring up free speech nonsense, well that wont work, we view religion different than you, unlike you, we dont see it as a mere play tool that can be mocked by atheists and agnostics as you do in the west, neither does your own bible! leviticus chapter 24 calls for the execution of those who commit blasphemy, so this i can make fun of god and religion nonsense is not supported by the Quran or Bible. and any muslim on this forum, or elsehwere comes and tells u that in a muslim country u have the right to insult and mock Islam are either ignorant, or lying to you and being political correct.
Many other religions take their religion as seriously as muslims. We will never agree on this and for this I hope that islam does not take control of any other nations because of what can/will happen to those that disagree. islamic thought is not in any way reconcilable with free societies imo. I have digressed from the subject. You can reply with your view since I brought this up, but I will not reply here.

ACC
05-14-2007, 09:29 PM
A quick rule of thumb, if you live in a country you live by the rules of the country. If you can not live within the laws and rules, you move. It is not a question of fairness, it is simple fact.
Woodrow, not sure that you or I entirely agree with this. If a country said it is illegal to be a muslim, I am sure you would rather stay and fight for your rights rather than 'cut and run'. For instance, if this were to happen in the USA, and it was upheld in the Supreme Court, I am sure you would still not accept this.

Amadeus85
05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Simply true- people of all cultures and countries should remember about that.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Woodrow, not sure that you or I entirely agree with this. If a country said it is illegal to be a muslim, I am sure you would rather stay and fight for your rights rather than 'cut and run'. For instance, if this were to happen in the USA, and it was upheld in the Supreme Court, I am sure you would still not accept this.
No one is stopping them from being Christian, so whats your point?
If that really happened to Christians in a Muslim country, I say go ahead, fight for your rights cause Islam holds no such barriers. And if non Muslims were to be treated unjustly, we are supposed to help them.

Woodrow
05-14-2007, 11:36 PM
It is one thing living in a country and having a group come in and change the laws. That is not always acceptable. But, if you live in a country and those are the laws at the time you move there or they are the laws when you are born there you obey the laws.

In the US because of the way the Government is and it is a rule of the people and the people can vote to out law Islam, Naturally during the Voting process I would be campaigning against the proposed law. But if the people choose it, I would have to accept that and leave. That would be in accordance with the law of the land. However, if say a communist nation overtook America and outlawed Islam, I would fight that, as that would not be the result of the government I live under.

I am very happy that the laws in America do not prevent me from being Muslim. As long as my right to practice Islam is not compromised I can live within the law.

ACC
05-14-2007, 11:38 PM
It is one thing living in a country and having a group come in and change the laws. That is not always acceptable. But, if you live in a country and those are the laws at the time you move there or they are the laws when you are born there you obey the laws.
Using this theory, no one should have fought against slavery. Again, I dont agree with this.

Woodrow
05-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Using this theory, no one should have fought against slavery. Again, I dont agree with this.
One major difference, the slaves did not come to the US of their own free will. They were prisoners and illegal captives. It was not their choice to come into a country were slavery was allowed.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-15-2007, 12:31 AM
^^Also to add, slavery isn't someones identity and it isn't something to be proud of. Your comparison is silly.

ACC
05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
One major difference, the slaves did not come to the US of their own free will. They were prisoners and illegal captives. It was not their choice to come into a country were slavery was allowed.
This doesnt seem to hold water. It also not your own free will to be born in a certain country.

ACC
05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
^^Also to add, slavery isn't someones identity and it isn't something to be proud of. Your comparison is silly.
Not sure I understand. Did anyone say that this is something to be proud of?

Woodrow
05-15-2007, 02:46 PM
This doesnt seem to hold water. It also not your own free will to be born in a certain country.
But the truth of the matter is we are all born into a time or place not of our own choosing. the choice in life is what will we do about it? If we are born in a place we do not like, our choices are to see if we have a legitimate reason to change it. Not all change is a good choice even if it is what we want.

We change what can be changed for the good of the majority, accept what we can not change or leave.

I was born in Hartford, Connecticut. I hate cold weather, I love desert climates. I left Connecticut.

Getting back to your statement. I really do not have the faintest idea what point you are trying to get across? Sounds like a hypothetical situation disguised as an argument for purpose of argument.

Amadeus85
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
I think that it is very unfair that christians in Egypt have such difficulties with building new churches while muslims there don't have such problems.

Its interesting that the same people who complain about hijab ban in France schools seem not to notice unfair treatment of egyptian christians.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Who says they cant fight for their rights? Whats your point? If you feel injustice, fight for justice. Lets not play the blame game.

Zman
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
:sl:

I agree with you about obeying the law. But, that group has every right to attempt to change the laws that they persceive are biased towards them.

The African-Americans did so, during the Civil Rights, women changed many biased laws towards them, so did the Irish, the Italians, the Jewish people, etc.

If they felt they were targeted and held grievences, then they took legal, peaceful action that was within the law.

Unfortunately, when Muslims speak of doing the same thing, everyone becomes defensive and starts saying "Shariah," "forcing Islam on us," "Appeasing Muslims," "refusing to assimilate."

But, it was quite alright for non-Muslims to change laws.

The new term that is absolutely nasueating is being "politically correct," towards Muslims/Islam.

"We have to defend our rights and call a spade a spade."

Yet, they are ALWAYS "politically correct" (at least in public) when it comes to women, "gays", Minorities (other than the Muslim persuasion) "blacks", "Jews", the Holocaust, etc.

Hypocrisy and double standards reign supreme...

Amadeus85
05-15-2007, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Who says they cant fight for their rights? Whats your point? If you feel injustice, fight for justice. Lets not play the blame game.
I just say that law in Egypt doesnt treat equally muslims and christians, as the last one have difficulties with building new churches.

And i was talking about our western "freedom defenders" who complained so much about hijab ban in France schools, but they dont care about unfairly treatment of christians in Egypt for example ( not to mention in Saudi Arabia).

Zman
05-15-2007, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
I think that it is very unfair that christians in Egypt have such difficulties with building new churches while muslims there don't have such problems.

Its interesting that the same people who complain about hijab ban in France schools seem not to notice unfair treatment of egyptian christians.

Coptic Christians, at the moment, have gotten much more than what the Muslims of Greece have gotten.

Coptic Christians, have been allowed to build and renovate Churches. Muslims and Christians have Sunday off. Christmas is recognized and celebrated. They have religious sermons broadcast on tv. The government always sides with them against Muslims, even if they're wrong, in order not to offend their sensibilities, and avoid US/EU internal intervention.

Can any government in a predominantely Muslim nation intervene in France on the side of Muslims, or isn't that declared an internal matter? Would France allow such an act to occur?

In Greece, building mosques/renovations go through the Greek Orthodox Church and not the state. And most of the time, the request is refused.

Imagine if Al Azhar in Egypt controlled the say in the building/renovations of Coptic Churches. Just imagine the uproar in the West...

Zman
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
I just say that law in Egypt doesnt treat equally dont care about unfairly treatment of christians in Egypt for example ( not to mention in Saudi Arabia).

Kindly research how many Churches have been built in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States, Just to accomodate an extremely small Christian minority...

Woodrow
05-15-2007, 04:25 PM

I agree with you about obeying the law. But, that group has every right to attempt to change the laws that they persceive are biased towards them.

The African-Americans did so, during the Civil Rights, women changed many biased laws towards them, so did the Irish, the Italians, the Jewish people, etc.

If they felt they were targeted and held grievences, then they took legal, peaceful action that was within the law.

Unfortunately, when Muslims speak of doing the same thing, everyone becomes defensive and starts saying "Shariah," "forcing Islam on us," "Appeasing Muslims," "refusing to assimilate."

But, it was quite alright for non-Muslims to change laws.

The new term that is absolutely nasueating is being "politically correct," towards Muslims/Islam.

"We have to defend our rights and call a spade a spade."

Yet, they are ALWAYS "politically correct" (at least in public) when it comes to women, "gays", Minorities (other than the Muslim persuasion) "blacks", "Jews", the Holocaust, etc.

Hypocrisy and double standards reign supreme...
True but the laws were changed through the laws and not in violation of the laws. the people still lived within the law and did not break any laws to bring about the change.

Muslims here are capable of doing the same thing. the key is to keep it within the law of the land. I actually can not think of any laws that need to be changed. I am certain there are some, but I am not aware of any that would affect me were I live.

I find very little anti-Islam sentiment among non-Muslims in the US. I am not aware of any laws being passed to infringe upon our rights to worship as we choose and there are very few areas where a Hijab and Niqaab would be banned and in those few areas the ban is not based on religion.

So going back to my statement. we accept the laws or we leave. By accepting the laws does not mean we do not try to change things for the better, we just need to do the changes within the legal system.

Just out of curiosity can anybody think of any place in America where the rights of a Muslim are interferred with? I can only speak about Austin, from experience. Other parts of the country may be different, but not that I am aware of.

Amadeus85
05-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Kindly research how many Churches have been built in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States, Just to accomodate an extremely small Christian minority...

In Saudi Arabia live about 800 000 christians (foreign workers) and there is no single church for them. Owning a Bible is banned under going to jail, just like wearing crosses.

In Gulf States honestly i dont know.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Had it been so bad for them there(although I dont know to be honest), why would there be any early nations of Christians? Earlier than any Muslim living in the West.

Woodrow
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
In Saudi Arabia live about 800 000 christians (foreign workers) and there is no single church for them. Owning a Bible is banned under going to jail, just like wearing crosses.

Roman Catholicism in Saudi Arabia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Catholic Church in Saudi Arabia is part of the worldwide Roman Catholic Church, under the spiritual leadership of the Pope and curia in Rome.

Public worship of non-Islamic religions is forbidden in Saudi Arabia and Christians of all denominations have been subjected to persecution [1]. Possession of Christian Bibles is not a crime although possession of large quantities can carry severe penalties as it will be viewed that it is your intention to convert others [2]. It is not known exactly how many Catholics there are in the country, but it is estimated to be between half to one million people. There is a very large expatriate community in Saudi including almost a million Filipinos, the Philippines being a predominantly Catholic nation. Saudi Arabia comes under the jurisdiction of the Apostolic Vicariate of Arabia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_C...n_Saudi_Arabia

Amadeus85
05-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Roman Catholicism in Saudi Arabia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Catholic Church in Saudi Arabia is part of the worldwide Roman Catholic Church, under the spiritual leadership of the Pope and curia in Rome.

Public worship of non-Islamic religions is forbidden in Saudi Arabia and Christians of all denominations have been subjected to persecution [1]. Possession of Christian Bibles is not a crime although possession of large quantities can carry severe penalties as it will be viewed that it is your intention to convert others [2]. It is not known exactly how many Catholics there are in the country, but it is estimated to be between half to one million people. There is a very large expatriate community in Saudi including almost a million Filipinos, the Philippines being a predominantly Catholic nation. Saudi Arabia comes under the jurisdiction of the Apostolic Vicariate of Arabia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_C...n_Saudi_Arabia
Thanks for the source :)

Zman
05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
True but the laws were changed through the laws and not in violation of the laws. the people still lived within the law and did not break any laws to bring about the change.

Muslims here are capable of doing the same thing. the key is to keep it within the law of the land. I actually can not think of any laws that need to be changed. I am certain there are some, but I am not aware of any that would affect me were I live.

I find very little anti-Islam sentiment among non-Muslims in the US. I am not aware of any laws being passed to infringe upon our rights to worship as we choose and there are very few areas where a Hijab and Niqaab would be banned and in those few areas the ban is not based on religion.

So going back to my statement. we accept the laws or we leave. By accepting the laws does not mean we do not try to change things for the better, we just need to do the changes within the legal system.

Ok, I agree with you.

Just out of curiosity can anybody think of any place in America where the rights of a Muslim are interferred with? I can only speak about Austin, from experience. Other parts of the country may be different, but not that I am aware of.

In general, the atmosphere and tolerance is excellent.

But, there are a few oddities that occur. For example, in my state, some Muslims attempted to build Mosques and Islamic schools in certain areas, and their efforts were rebuffed. The Town Councils gave non-religious reasons (officially/publically), but some brothers claim it's religiously based.

I read that there was an actual event or the calling for a pig race around a Mosque in Texas (may be you heard about it).

I read an article last week about a Jewish group plotting to stop the building of a Mosque in Boston.

Plus, you got your right wing fanatics who incite hate and violence against Muslims, like Mr. Savage and Glen Beck.

Not to mention the every-now-and-then statements by Pat Robertson, Falwell and Franklin Graham...

Zman
05-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Christian Church Rises In Arabia

(Above Picture: Costing about $15m, the new church is being constructed outside Doha, Qatar)

By John Terrett,
In Doha, Qatar
UPDATED ON:
SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 2007
17:52 MECCA TIME, 14:52 GMT
Al Jazeera

Work has begun on the construction of Qatar's first purpose-built church in the desert outside Doha, the country's capital.

Although the country's native inhabitants are entirely Muslim - and are prohibited by law from converting to another faith - the new Catholic church will cater to the large number of Christian migrants who have come to the Arabia Gulf state in search of work.

Roman Catholics from all over the Arabian Peninsula - many of them migrant workers - are helping to pay for the $15m building, which is scheduled to open at the end of the year.

Overseeing the church is Paul Hinder, the Catholic Church's Bishop of Arabia. A Christian in the heart of the Muslim world, his diocese is the entire Arabian peninsular, encompassing six countries.

He oversees churches in Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Yemen and even in Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam where Christianity is practiced behind closed doors.

Speaking about the Christian communities in Saudi Arabia, he said: "It's not an open church. Privately the Christians may gather in their houses in a very discreet manner."

"Of course it's not easy to be a bishop here [in the Gulf]," he said. "But at least regarding the church life it is full of vitality."

Spiritual Satisfaction:

(Above Picture: Bishop Paul Hinder oversees churches in Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Yemen and even in Saudi Arabia)

Hinder said allowing Christians to worship freely could only bring benefits to the countries in which they are working.

"The more they [people] are satisfied spiritually the more they will continue to help develop the country, it's obvious," he said.

Hinder told Al Jazeera that often people are more active Christians during their one or two years labouring in the Arabian peninsular than they are when they are back home.

Certainly, turn-out at church services all over the Arabian peninsular is significant. Numbers in the congregations regularly beat those in congregations in Europe and even in the United States.

The majority of the two million expatriate Christians who attend these services are Filipinos, Lebanese and Indians who have come to the Gulf for work.

"We have to accept that we are expatriates in every sense of the word. We are a pure pilgrimage church," Hinder told Al Jazeera.

"The challenge is especially that we are a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, multi-racial church composed of faithful from more or less all over the world."

Source:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...CA68CD4616.htm

Amadeus85
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Christian Church Rises In Arabia

(Above Picture: Costing about $15m, the new church is being constructed outside Doha, Qatar)

By John Terrett,
In Doha, Qatar
UPDATED ON:
SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 2007
17:52 MECCA TIME, 14:52 GMT
Al Jazeera

Work has begun on the construction of Qatar's first purpose-built church in the desert outside Doha, the country's capital.

Although the country's native inhabitants are entirely Muslim - and are prohibited by law from converting to another faith - the new Catholic church will cater to the large number of Christian migrants who have come to the Arabia Gulf state in search of work.

Roman Catholics from all over the Arabian Peninsula - many of them migrant workers - are helping to pay for the $15m building, which is scheduled to open at the end of the year.

Overseeing the church is Paul Hinder, the Catholic Church's Bishop of Arabia. A Christian in the heart of the Muslim world, his diocese is the entire Arabian peninsular, encompassing six countries.

He oversees churches in Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Yemen and even in Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam where Christianity is practiced behind closed doors.

Speaking about the Christian communities in Saudi Arabia, he said: "It's not an open church. Privately the Christians may gather in their houses in a very discreet manner."

"Of course it's not easy to be a bishop here [in the Gulf]," he said. "But at least regarding the church life it is full of vitality."

Spiritual Satisfaction:

(Above Picture: Bishop Paul Hinder oversees churches in Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Yemen and even in Saudi Arabia)

Hinder said allowing Christians to worship freely could only bring benefits to the countries in which they are working.

"The more they [people] are satisfied spiritually the more they will continue to help develop the country, it's obvious," he said.

Hinder told Al Jazeera that often people are more active Christians during their one or two years labouring in the Arabian peninsular than they are when they are back home.

Certainly, turn-out at church services all over the Arabian peninsular is significant. Numbers in the congregations regularly beat those in congregations in Europe and even in the United States.

The majority of the two million expatriate Christians who attend these services are Filipinos, Lebanese and Indians who have come to the Gulf for work.

"We have to accept that we are expatriates in every sense of the word. We are a pure pilgrimage church," Hinder told Al Jazeera.

"The challenge is especially that we are a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, multi-racial church composed of faithful from more or less all over the world."

Source:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...CA68CD4616.htm
Im happy to hear this. :thumbs_up

Zman
05-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Im happy to hear this. :thumbs_up

So, are the Christians getting more rights in Arabia and Egypt, than, let's say, the Muslims of Greece?

Isn't that accurate to say?

Woodrow
05-15-2007, 06:59 PM

Ok, I agree with you.

In general, the atmosphere and tolerance is excellent.

But, there are a few oddities that occur. For example, in my state, some Muslims attempted to build Mosques and Islamic schools in certain areas, and their efforts were rebuffed. The Town Councils gave non-religious reasons (officially/publically), but some brothers claim it's religiously based.

I read that there was an actual event or the calling for a pig race around a Mosque in Texas (may be you heard about it).

I read an article last week about a Jewish group plotting to stop the building of a Mosque in Boston.

Plus, you got your right wing fanatics who incite hate and violence against Muslims, like Mr. Savage and Glen Beck.

Not to mention the every-now-and-then statements by Pat Robertson, Falwell and Franklin Graham...
No I haven't heard this one:

I kind of doubt that is fully true. In nearly every Texas City it is illegal to have a live pig within the city limits. I Believe Corpus Christi is the only exception.

that sounds more like some red Neck attempt at Humor.

Although I would not rule out the possibility of it happening in a rural county area as in the counties and out of city limits there are no zoning restrictions and your next door neighbor can build or do anything that does not violate State Law. Although I have yet to hear of any Mosques in any of the rural areas.

Amadeus85
05-15-2007, 07:12 PM

So, are the Christians getting more rights in Arabia and Egypt, than, let's say, the Muslims of Greece?

Isn't that accurate to say?
Actually since this year mosques can be build in Greece without any problems. In January i visited Athens with my cousins and i heard muezzin's call so it is not so bad i think.
Everyone should have right to worship in the place where he lives.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
The point is dont bother saying Christians arent getting their rights or cant build churches when in actuality, they can! Muslims arent any better off in their own country. We still have to hear the barking of so called leaders from other countries and be scared of our life even living in a Muslim country. Also in actuality, no one is living better than anyone else. Everyone has their own problems.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.