/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Self image and the Media

jannat
05-13-2007, 12:51 PM
:sl: to all,

i hope u all r in the best of health and iman inshallah.

i justed wanted ur views, on self image and the way the media seems to force this superficial and unachievable image of a woman today.
There is great stress on ones self image, to look beautiful, young, skinny in order to fit today's society and not to feel like an outcast.
The media plays on the weaknesses and insecurities of women and plays a pivotal role in helping women care about themselves but also goes to far extremes, such as : making "cosmetic surgery" the norm. Does changing urself make u a more successful and better person?
Every where we go we see images of beautiful , skinny, attractive and not to mention " airbrushed" women on magazines, TV, Billboards etc, but how far should an average woman go? what are the islamic views regarding this matter? How much does ur appearance mean to u ?
I am well aware that men are also targetted, so brothers please free to comment too,
:statisfie Jazakallah Khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.