/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What are the minimum rakats you have to pray for each namaaz?

AnonymousPoster
05-13-2007, 01:36 PM
:sl:
Can anyone tell me the minimum amount of rakaats that you have to pray for each namaaz? is it:
Fajr: 2 sunnats 2 fardh
Zohr:4 sunnats 4 fardh, (i was told you can pray 4 fardh and 2 sunnats)
Asr: 4 fardhs
Magrib: 3 fardhs and 2 sunnats
Esha: I was told you can pray 4 fardhs and 3 witr

not sure please correct me
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IB-Staff
05-13-2007, 01:50 PM
How many Rak'aat are there in each prayer?

Prayer name Sunnah(before praying Fardh) Fardh Sunnah/Wajib(after Fardh)
Fajr 2 (Sunnah mu'akkadah) 2
Dhuhr 4 (Sunnah mu'akkadah) 4 2 (Sunnah mu'akkadah) + 2
'Asr 4 4
Maghrib 3 2 (Sunnah mu'akkadah)
'Isha 4 4 2 (Sunnah mu'akkadah) + 3 (Wajib, Witr)
Jumu'ah 4 2 4 + 2

What is fard, waajib, sunnah and nafl and what is the difference between them?

Fard
means compulsory beyond any argument. Anyone who denies a fard is a kaafir. And one who leaves a fard without excuse is a faasiq and is sinful.

Waajib comes second to fard. One who denies waajib is not a kaafir but if he leaves it without excuse, he is faasiq and is sinful.

Sunnah is an act which the Prophet :saws: did and his Companions followed and commanded. Sunnah mu'akkadah is a highly emphasized Sunnah and should not be missed habitually without a valid excuse.

Nafl is an act commanded by Sharee’ah. It brings reward if done but no punishment if not done. It is also called mustahab, mandoob or tatawwu’.

Sunnih
05-13-2007, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
Can anyone tell me the minimum amount of rakaats that you have to pray for each namaaz? is it:
Zohr:4 sunnats 4 fardh, (i was told you can pray 4 fardh and 2 sunnats)
Esha: I was told you can pray 4 fardhs and 3 witr

not sure please correct me
The very minimum is what is fardh. However do not leave witr out as well although it is not fardh.

Sunnih
05-13-2007, 01:54 PM
After that the most important is the 2 rakat before fajr then the rest according to your abilities. Considerind the circumstances of some muslims and the environment they are in just the fardh is enough. Then whatever you can do from the nawafil.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
05-13-2007, 06:51 PM
It's a sin to leave out sunnah mu’akkadah. Am I right? :?

'Abd al-Baari
05-13-2007, 07:05 PM

^As far as i know it is a sin to leave it out without a good excuse^

islamirama
05-13-2007, 07:25 PM
The normal salaah with sunnah is the following, which salafi and hanafi follow and others who want more ajr.

Farj: 4 = 2 sunnah 2 fard
Zuhr: 12 = 4 sunnah 4 fard 2 sunnah 2 nafl
Asr: 8 = 4 sunnah 4 fard
Magrib: 7 = 3 fard 2 sunnah 2 nafl
Isha: 17 = 4 sunnah 4 fard 2 sunnah 2 nafl 3 witr 2 nafil

Number of rakats in each obligatory (fard) salah:
  • Fajr: 2 (2 sunnah should be done also)
  • Dhuhr: 4
  • Asr: 4
  • Maghrib: 3
  • Isha: 4 (witr should be done also)

As for what you should do minimum, i would recommened this...

The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said:
"Allaah will build a house in Heaven for whoever is diligent in observing 12 Sunnah Rak'aat (as follows): 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr (Midday) Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib (Sunset Prayer), 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ (Evening) Prayer and 2 before the Fajr (Dawn) Prayer."

Hadith sahih narrated by at-Tirmidhi No. 379 and by others. Hadith No. 6183 in Sahih al-Jaami

Allaah’s Messenger (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said:
"A house will be built in Heaven for one who prays 12 Rak'aat in a day and evening as follows: 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib Prayer, 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ Prayer and 2 before the Fajr Prayer."

Narrated by at-Tirmizi under No. 380. He said: The Hadith narrated by ‘Anbasah quoting Umm Habibah in this chapter is a hassan and sahih hadith. It is under No. 6362 in Sahih al-Jaami’

The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said:
“Whoever prays twelve rak’ahs during the night and day, a house will be built for him in Paradise: four before Zuhr and two after, two rak’ahs after Maghrib, two rak’ahs after ‘Isha’ and two rak’ahs before Fajr prayer.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, no. 380; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 6362

Umar001
05-13-2007, 07:36 PM
I have heard some asian brothers and sisters have this notion that not praying the Sunnah is sinful, that was so confusing!!

Also whats this 'sunnah' and 'nafl' The sunnah prayers are voluntary not obligatory so wouldnt they be nafl too?

Also, why do you say the 'salafi' and 'hanafi' as if the salafi are a madhab, what if a salafi is a hanafi? lol.

Snowflake
05-13-2007, 07:59 PM
^There's sunnah mu’akkadah which the Prophet didn't leave out at any time. And there's sunnah ghair mu'akkadah which he would read sometimes and not at others. As far as I know it's a sin to leave sunnah mu'akkadah without a valid reason.

As for nafils, there's a lot of reward for reading but no sin for leaving them. I read somewhere that we should read nafils as much as we can. That's because when we will be brought to account relating to our fardhs, Allah subhana wa ta'ala may not be pleased with how we offered them. Then He will ask about our nafils, so that He may reward us for those. Subhan'Allah! Allah is so kind and merciful. :)

Umar001
05-13-2007, 08:02 PM
is there any evidence, that it is a sin?

Kittygyal
05-13-2007, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907

^As far as i know it is a sin to leave it out without a good excuse^
Salamualikum.
You said it.
Ma'assalama.

HBot 5000
05-14-2007, 07:35 AM

I do the following:

Fajr : 2 sunnah ; 2 fard

Duhr: 2 sunnah ; 2 sunnah ; 4 fard ; 2 sunnah ; 2 sunnah (the fire will not touch a person who prays 4 sunnah before and after duhr)

Asr : 2 sunnah ; 2 sunnah ; 4 fard

Magrib : 3 fard ; 2 sunnah (sometimes i add extra 2 sunnah)

Isha : 2 sunnah ; 4 fard ; 2 sunnah; witr

The only obligatory ones (as i understand is fard) the rest are optional.

With regards to nafl (the ones you sit down to pray); i don't offer these anymore. The reason being i never saw any of the salaf in saudi offering them, only when i came back to england i saw my local muslim's partaking in them.

:thumbs_up

Sunnih
05-14-2007, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
is there any evidence, that it is a sin?
Indeed there is no sin upon such a person as it has come in various ahadith that whoever is a muslim and prays 5 obligatory prayers, pays the zakat, fasts the Ramadan and makes Hajj if he can he goes to jannah. There are many versions with this meaning and among them the hadith when the beduin asked the prophet. From this, the salaf objected to tyhe oppinion that witr is obligatory. However, one should not abandon the sunnah prayers if he can pray them but remember that some persons may be new to islam or even in a situation that they can barely pray the fardh so attention should be paid to that. As for sunnah salah then if someone does not pray it he is not punished for it and that is why it is called sunnah. There is no evidence that sugests that it is a sin abandoning it however it should be kept in mind that praying them increases the reward as it has come in various ahadith and also it completes and complements the fardh salah.

Sunnih
05-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Question:
Can I just pray the obligatory prayers only and skip the non-obligatory prayers.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Observing the naafil (supererogatory) prayers and offering them regularly is one of the greatest means of earning the love of Allaah and it brings Paradise and divine mercy. Al-Bukhaari narrated (6502) that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whosoever shows enmity to someone devoted to Me, I shall be at war with him. My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about [seizing] the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him.”

So the Muslim should be very ambitious and keen, and should not accept anything less than that; rather he should seek to carry out his religious duties completely and perfectly, as he is required to do with regard to his worldly duties.

However, if a Muslim restricts himself to doing only the obligatory duties, in prayer and in other matters, and does not fall short in any of that, there is no sin on him, even though neglecting the Sunnahs in general is something blameworthy according to the scholars and Imam Ahmad said: “Whoever does not pray Witr is a bad man whose testimony should not be accepted.”

Al-Bukhaari (46) and Muslim (110) narrated that Talhah ibn ‘Ubayd-Allaah said: A man came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and when he drew close to him he asked him about Islam. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Five prayers each day and night.” He said: “Do I have to do anything else?” He said: “No, not unless you do it voluntarily.” And the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “And fasting Ramadaan.” He said: “Do I have to do anything else?” He said: “No, not unless you do it voluntarily.” And the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told him about zakaah. He said: “Do I have to do anything else?” He said: “No, not unless you do it voluntarily.” The man left, saying, “By Allaah, I will not do any more than this or any less.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He will succeed, if he is speaking the truth.”

Al-Nawawi said: This is to be understood as meaning that he did not offer naafil prayers and he did not omit any of the obligatory prayers. Such a person will undoubtedly be successful, even though his persisting in not offering Sunnah prayers is something blameworthy for which his testimony is to be rejected. But he is not sinning thereby, rather he will be successful and will attain salvation. And Allaah knows best.

Sharh Muslim, 1/121

It should be noted that the naafil prayers bring immense reward and great virtue. It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The first of his deeds for which a person will be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection will be his prayer. If it is sound then he will have succeeded but if it is not sound then he will be lost and doomed. If anything is lacking from his obligatory prayers, the Lord will say: ‘Look and see whether My slave has any voluntary (prayers),’ and the shortfall from his obligatory prayers will be made up from that. Then all his deeds will be dealt with in like manner.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 413; Abu Dawood, 864; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever prays twelve rak’ahs each day and night, a house will be built for him in Paradise because of them.” Narrated by Muslim, 728

May Allaah help you to do your best and to say and do that which is good and true. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Musalmaan
05-15-2007, 09:20 AM

it is:
Zohr:4 sunnats 4 fardh, 2 sunnat
Esha: 4 fardhs 2 sunnat & 3 witr

^^ thats the minimun no. of rakahh acc. to hanafi madhab. where sunnat here is sunnah muakkidah (emphasized sunnah, which prophet used to do it regularly, a term used in fiqh). it is sinful to leave sunnah muakiddah without a valid excuse.

i hope it helped.

and Allah SWT knows best.

vpb
05-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Sunnah of the 'Asr Prayer

1119. `Ali bin Abu Talib (May Allah be pleased with him)reported: The Prophet (PBUH) used to perform four Rak`ah before the `Asr prayer, separating them with Taslim (i.e., offering blessings) on the favourite angels who are near Allah's proximity and the Muslims and the believers who come after them.
[At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: The phrase "separating them with Taslim'' means that he would perform four Rak`ah in two couplets.

1120. Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "May Allah have mercy on a man who performs four Rak`ah before the `Asr prayer.''
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: These four Rak`ah can be performed in two couplets also, as was the practice of the Prophet (PBUH), according to the preceding Hadith. It can be performed with one Taslim also. Both forms are correct and permissible. Some scholars are of the opinion that the former method is better. `Ulama' have stated that these four Sunnah of `Asr prayer are Ghair Mu'akkadah (optional prayers). Its importance is however evident from the fact that the Prophet (PBUH) prayed for mercy on those who performed these Sunnah.

1121. `Ali bin Abu Talib (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) used to perform two Rak`ah before the `Asr prayer.
[Abu Dawud].

Commentary: We learn from this Hadith that one can also perform two Sunnah before `Asr prayer. But Sheikh Al-Albani has stated that the word "two Rak`ah" occurring in this Hadith is rare. Four Rak`ah are secure and should, therefore, be preferred.

Source:http://www.masmn.org/documents/Hadit...en/08_0200.htm

vpb
05-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Emphasis on Performing two Rak'ah Sunnah before Dawn (Fajr) Prayer

1100. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) never omitted four Rak`ah prayer before the Zuhr prayer and two Rak`ah prayers before dawn (Fajr) prayer.
[Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: This Hadith tells us the practice of the Prophet (PBUH) in respect of the four Rak`ah Sunnah of Zuhr prayers and the two of Fajr prayers. He (PBUH) used to perform both regularly. Such Rak`ah are called Sunnah Rawatib or Sunnah Mu'akkadah (compulsory prayers).

1101. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) did not attach more importance to any Nawafil prayer than the two Rak`ah of prayer before dawn (Fajr) prayer.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith tell us about the special preparation which the Prophet (PBUH) used to make for performing the two Rak`ah of Fajr prayers.

1102. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "The two Rak`ah before the dawn (Fajr) prayer are better than this world and all it contains.''
[Muslim]

Another narration goes: "The two Rak`ah before the dawn (Fajr) prayer are dearer to me than the whole world.''

Commentary: This Hadith tells us the merits of the two Rak`ah of Fajr prayers.

All the Ahadith mentioned above prove that the two Rak`ah of Fajr are highly meritorious, and one should not show any slackness or negligence in offering them.

1103. Abu `Abdullah Bilal bin Rabah (May Allah be pleased with him) the Mu'adhdhin of Messenger of Allah (PBUH) reported: I went to inform the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) about the time of the dawn (Fajr) prayer, and `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) kept me busy and began to ask me about something till the day grew bright. Then I got up and informed the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) of the time of Salat. I informed him again but he did not came out immediately to lead As-Salat. When he came out, he led As-Salat. I said to him: `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) kept me busy and thus diverted my attention by asking about something and the morning grew bright. You also came out late. Upon that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "I was engaged in performing two Rak`ah of Fajr prayer.'' Bilal (May Allah be pleased with him)said: "O Messenger of Allah! You delayed As-Salat so long as the morning grew bright.'' He (PBUH) replied, "Even if the morning had become brighter than it had, I would have performed two Rak`ah of prayer in an excellent manner.''
[Abu Dawud].

Commentary: This Hadith also tells us about the importance of the two Rak`ah of Fajr prayers and stresses the need to perform them with full concentration.

Source:http://www.masmn.org/documents/Hadit...en/08_0196.htm

vpb
05-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Briefness to be Adopted in Performing the two Rak'ah Sunnah before Fajr Prayer, their time and the Surah to recite in them

1104. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) used to perform two Rak`ah short prayer between the Adhan (call to prayer) and the Iqamah of the dawn (Fajr) prayers.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

In another narration, `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) used to perform two supererogatory Rak`ah prayer of Fajr and make them so short in duration that I used to think whether he (PBUH) had recited Surat Al-Fatihah (in it) or not.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

In the narration of Muslim, `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) said: When the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) used to hear the Adhan (of Fajr prayer) he would perform two supererogatory Rak`ah prayer and would make them short.

Commentary: "Takhfif'' here means that the Prophet (PBUH) used to shorten the standing, recitation, bowing, prostration, etc., in the two Rak`ah of Fajr prayer because soon after performing them he had to lead the Fajr prayer in which he would prolong his recitation. He would also offer these two Sunnah soon after the daybreak or Adhan, which gives an idea of the preparation he made for them.

1105. Hafsah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) used to perform two short Rak`ah prayer when it was dawn and the Mu'adhdhin had called Adhan (for the Fajr prayer).
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith tells us that the two Rak`ah of Fajr prayer should be performed after the daybreak not before it. One should also be brief in these two Rak`ah so that he is active and alert for performing the Fard (obligatory prayer).

1106. Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) used to perform his optional night prayers at night, two Rak`ah followed by two Rak`ah, and at the end he would conclude with an odd Rak`ah (Witr). Then he would perform two Rak`ah prayer before the dawn (Fajr) prayer after hearing the Adhan, and he would make them so brief as if he could hear the Iqamah being called.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: "As if he could hear the Iqamah being called'' here means that he would hasten the two Rak`ah of Fajr prayer to the point that one had the impression that he was hearing the voice of Iqamah and he was making haste for fear of missing of the Salat.

This Hadith also makes the following three points:

1.The optional prayer of the night should be offered in a series of two Rak`ah.

2.One Rak`ah of Witr is also correct.

3.The Sunnah of Fajr prayer should be offered soon after the Adhan, and one should be brief in them.

1107. Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) used to recite during the two Rak`ah of Fajr prayer: "Say (O Muslims): We believe in Allah and that which has been sent down to us...'' (2:136) which is in Surat Al-Baqarah in the first Rak`ah and the Verse: "We believe in Allah, and bear witness that we are Muslims (i.e., we submit to Allah.'' (3:52) in the second Rak`ah.

According to another narration, he (PBUH) recited from Surat Al-`Imran the Verses: "Come to a word which is just between us and you...'' (3:64).
[Muslim].

Commentary: In the two Sunnah of Fajr prayer, the Prophet (PBUH) used to recite the two short Verses mentioned in this Hadith, after Surat Al-Fatihah.

1108. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) recited in the two supererogatory Rak`ah of the Fajr prayer Surat Al-Kafirun (No. 109) [in the first Rak`ah], and Surat Al-Ikhlas (No. 112) [in the second Rak`ah].
[Muslim].

1109.Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: I observed the Prophet (PBUH) for one month reciting in the two supererogatory Rak`ah of the Fajr prayer Surat Al-Kafirun (No. 109) [in the first Rak`ah], and Surat Al-Ikhlas (No. 112) [in the second Rak`ah].
[At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: One can recite any Surah or Ayah in the two Sunnah of Fajr prayer, but if one recites the Verses mentioned in this Hadith, he will have the benefit of following the Sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH). Every Muslim should strive to follow the practice of the Prophet (PBUH) for the enrichment of his mind, soul and actions.

Source:http://www.masmn.org/documents/Hadit...en/08_0197.htm

vpb
05-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Sunnah of Zuhr Prayer

1113. Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: I performed with the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) two Rak`ah before and two after Zuhr prayers.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith has already been mentioned. See Commentary on Hadith No. 1098.

1114. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) never omitted four Rak`ah supererogatory prayer before Zuhr prayers.
[Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: Some Ahadith state that he (PBUH) used to perform two Rak`ah before and two after Zuhr prayer. The present Hadith says that he used to perform four Rak`ah before Zuhr prayer. Both narrations are correct and can be followed according to conditions and circumstances.

1115. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: Whenever the Prophet (PBUH) stayed in my house, he would perform four Rak`ah (supererogatory prayer) before Zuhr prayer. Then he would go out and lead Salat. He (PBUH) would then come back and perform two Rak`ah (supererogatory prayer). He would lead the Maghrib prayer and come back and perform two Rak`ah (supererogatory prayer). When he (PBUH) had led the `Isha' prayer, he would enter the house and perform two Rak`ah (supererogatory prayer).
[Muslim]

1116. Umm Habibah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Whoever observes the practice of performing four Rak`ah before Zuhr prayer and four after the Zuhr prayer, Allah will shield him against the Fire (of Hell).
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: This Ahadith mean that a person who follows this course of practice, will die as a Muslim and will not remain in Hell for ever like the Kuffar (infidels) unless Allah has forgiven all his sins for him and would, as a result, save him from Fire altogether. That is, Almighty Allah will not let him live in Hell for ever. According to some Ahadith, the fire of Hell will not touch him, which also amounts to saying that he will not be kept in Hell for all eternity. If a Muslim is liable to punishment, his stay in Hell - for a few days or weeks or months depending on the nature of his sins - is not a contravention of such Ahadith because he will ultimately be released from Hell and brought to Jannah. "Allah will shield him against the Fire'' should not be taken to mean that a Muslim will not be sent to Hell no matter what he does. If Almighty Allah does not forgive him in the very first instance, he will have to suffer the torment of Hell as long as He would like and then he will be sent to Jannah.

1117. `Abdullah bin As-Sa'ib (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) used to perform four Rak`ah prayer after the declining of the sun before Zuhr prayer and would say, "This is an hour at which the gates of heaven are opened, and I like that my good deeds should rise to heaven at that time.''
[At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: The Prophet (PBUH) used to perform the four Rak`ah Sunnah of Zuhr prayer when the sun started declining. In fact, except for `Isha' prayer, he would perform every Salat at its early hours.

The phrase "the gates of heaven are opened'' to means that the good deeds that people do are lifted to heavens at that time.

1118. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: If the Prophet (PBUH) could not perform four Rak`ah before Zuhr prayer, he would perform them after it (i.e., after the obligatory prayer).
[At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: This Hadith tells us about the preparation which the Prophet (PBUH) used to make for performing the Sunnah. Every Muslim should, therefore, make full preparation for performing Sunnah. If one is unable to perform it before the Fard prayer, then one must do it afterwards.

Source: http://www.masmn.org/documents/Hadit...en/08_0199.htm

vpb
05-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Sunnah of the Maghrib Prayer

[In the previous chapter, the practice of the Prophet (PBUH) has been reported by `Umar and `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with them) that he (PBUH) used to perform two Rak`ah Sunnah after the obligatory Maghrib prayer].

1122. `Abdullah bin Mughaffal (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Perform two Rak`ah before Maghrib prayer.'' He (PBUH) repeated it twice; when repeating it for the third time he added: "He who may so wish.''
[Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: This Salat means that the two Rak`ah are performed after the Adhan of Maghrib prayer but before the Fard Salat. This is elucidated by other Ahadith. Although this has the position of Sunnah Ghair Mu'akkadah, its importance is evident from the fact that the Prophet (PBUH) stressed it three times. Usually an order (Amr) signifies that the act is "essential" but here the decency embedded in the words "He who may so wish" has turned it to "desirable". In any case, inducement and stress of the Prophet (PBUH) on this Salat has left no room to doubt that it is desirable. Ahadith which follow lend further support to this contention.

1123. Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I saw the principal Companions of Messenger of Allah (PBUH) rushing to the pillars (of the mosque) to perform two Rak`ah prayers behind them before the Maghrib prayer.
[Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: "Rushing to the pillars" here refers to the haste which the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) usually showed in occupying the place near the pillars to perform the two Rak`ah before Maghrib prayer. Thus, this Hadith confirms the practice of the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) in respect of the two Rak`ah performed before Maghrib prayer.

1124. Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: In the lifetime of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH), we used to perform two Rak`ah (optional prayer) after sunset before the Maghrib prayer. It was asked: "Did Messenger of Allah (PBUH) perform them?'' He replied: "He saw us performing it, but he neither ordered us to perform them nor did he forbid us from doing so.''
[Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith mentions the practice of the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) in respect of two Rak`ah performed before Maghrib prayer. They sometimes performed these Rak`ah in the presence of the Prophet (PBUH). Thus according to the narration of Anas (May Allah be pleased with ihm) their being in practice is proved. But this statement of Anas is according to his own knowledge, otherwise, we have already seen a Hadith in which the Prophet (PBUH) stressed the need to perform them by way of inducement. Thus, it is proved by his speech as well.

1125. Anas bin Malik (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: When we were in Al-Madinah, the moment the Mu'adhdhin finished the Adhan of the Maghrib prayer, the people hastened to the pillars of the mosque and performed two Rak`ah prayer behind them. A stranger coming into the mosque would think that the obligatory prayer had already been performed because of the number of people performing them.
[Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith shows that it was usual with the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) to perform two Rak`ah before Maghrib in the Prophet's mosque. But in spite of this fact these are Sunnah Ghair Mu'akkadah while the two performed after the Salat are Sunnah Mu'akkadah.

Source:http://www.masmn.org/documents/Hadit...en/08_0201.htm

vpb
05-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Sunnah of the 'Isha' Prayer

[Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) has narrated that he performed two Rak`ah after the Fard prayer of `Isha' with the Prophet (PBUH). `Abdullah bin Maghaffal has narrated that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) has said, "There is a Salat between every Takbir and Adhan.''

This proves that apart from the four Rak`ah Fard, there are also two Rak`ah Sunnah of the `Isha' prayer). See Ahadith No. 1098 and 1099.

Source:http://www.masmn.org/documents/Hadit...en/08_0202.htm

IbnAbdulHakim
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
It's a sin to leave out sunnah mu’akkadah. Am I right? :?
yes i believe it is...

HBot 5000
05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
yes i believe it is...

please provide proof for the above statement :statisfie

rumanabid
02-19-2024, 09:17 AM
The normal salaah with sunnah is the following, which salafi and hanafi follow and others who want more ajr.Farj: 4 = 2 sunnah 2 fardZuhr: 12 = 4 sunnah 4 fard 2 sunnah 2 naflAsr: 8 = 4 sunnah 4 fardMagrib: 7 = 3 fard 2 sunnah 2 naflIsha: 17 = 4 sunnah 4 fard 2 sunnah 2 nafl 3 witr 2 nafilNumber of rakats in each obligatory (fard) salah:Fajr: 2 (2 sunnah should be done also)Dhuhr: 4Asr: 4Maghrib: 3Isha: 4 (witr should be done also)As for what you should do minimum, i would recommened this...The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said:"Allaah will build a house in Heaven for whoever is diligent in observing 12 Sunnah Rak'aat (as follows): 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr (Midday) Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib (Sunset Prayer), 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ (Evening) Prayer and 2 before the Fajr (Dawn) Prayer."Hadith sahih narrated by at-Tirmidhi No. 379 and by others. Hadith No. 6183 in Sahih al-JaamiAllaah’s Messenger (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said:"A house will be built in Heaven for one who prays 12 Rak'aat in a day and evening as follows: 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib Prayer, 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ Prayer and 2 before the Fajr Prayer."Narrated by at-Tirmizi under No. 380. He said: The Hadith narrated by ‘Anbasah quoting Umm Habibah in this chapter is a hassan and sahih hadith. It is under No. 6362 in Sahih al-Jaami’The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wassalam) said:“Whoever prays twelve rak’ahs during the night and day, a house will be built for him in Paradise: four before Zuhr and two after, two rak’ahs after Maghrib, two rak’ahs after ‘Isha’ and two rak’ahs before Fajr prayer.”Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, no. 380; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 6362

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.