:sl:

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst."

[William Penn]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
H4RUN
05-13-2007, 04:13 PM
'He who dares ,wins' -Del trotter lol
anyways, there's already a thread or two on quotes...you should use the 'search' option and include your quotes there me lad, bonjour
:w:

Zman
05-13-2007, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
'He who dares ,wins' -Del trotter lol
anyways, there's already a thread or two on quotes...you should use the 'search' option and include your quotes there me lad, bonjour

Thanks for the info, brother.

BTW, "HE who dares, wins," is also the SAS's motto...

H4RUN
05-13-2007, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

Thanks for the info, brother.

BTW, "HE who dares, wins," is also the SAS's motto...
SAS geezers just copied good old Del Trotter..
ps. SAS-Speed Aggression and something else aint it?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zman
05-13-2007, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
SAS geezers just copied good old Del Trotter..
ps. SAS-Speed Aggression and something else aint it?
SAS: Special Air Services, are Britain's elite commandos/anti-terrorism/hostage rescue unit.

They were used against the IRA, in Iraq, the ostage rescue at the Iranian embassy (I believe in the 1980's)...

H4RUN
05-13-2007, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman
SAS: Special Air Services, are Britain's elite commandos/anti-terrorism/hostage rescue unit.

They were used against the IRA, in Iraq, the ostage rescue at the Iranian embassy (I believe in the 1980's)...
lol yeah and that...but im pretty sure i saw speed aggression and something else on one of their emblems... yep it was in the 80's i think, the big moustached guy was the one who got in through the balcony 1st:p
we're going way off topic

'Abd al-Baari
05-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Some guy once said
'go not where the path may lead, but go where there is no path and leave a trail'

don't ask me..i just saw it in school :p

Zman
05-14-2007, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907

Some guy once said
'go not where the path may lead, but go where there is no path and leave a trail'

don't ask me..i just saw it in school :p

That was: Ralph Waldo Emerson...

Zman
05-17-2007, 02:06 AM
:sl:/Peace To All

"Let him that would move the world, first move himself."

[Socrates]

Talibatul Ilm
05-17-2007, 03:03 AM
"O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity. -Ibn al Qayyim Al Jawziyyah

جوري
05-17-2007, 03:16 AM
I can't decide-- so many good ones, but this was always told to me by my grandmother (Allah yerhm'ha)... and I believe it to be the reason I always speak my mind!
He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away

Zman
05-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Refuge Of The Broken Hearted

The Muslim society in the time of Abdul Qaadir Jilani could broadly be divided into two classes. The first of these comprised the men of substance who were deficient in faith and virtuous behaviour. As against this, there was another class, poverty-stricken and downtrodden, but endowed with faith and a spirit of righteousness, moral strength and uprightness. These people, sometimes, feeling disconcerted and broken-hearted, viewed the affluent with jealousy and mistrust, and regarded themselves as deprived and discarded. Abdul Qaadir holds out hope and cheer to these people in one of his sermons. He says:

'O` Empty-handed beggardly fellows, the world would appear to be at loggerheads with you; you are barefooted, unclothed and unfed, broken hearted and ill-starred, evicted from every place and deprived of your longings and fancies. But do not say that Allah has reduced you to poverty, turned the world against you, abandoned, maligned or persecuted you, did not assign the portion of earthly pleasures due to you, or did not bestow honour and fame upon you. Nor is it proper for you to complain that Allah has granted his favours to others, made them reputed and honoured, although they belong to the same faith as you do and are the progeny of Adam and Eve like you.

'It is really so because you are like a fertile land on which Allah is sending down the rains consisting of endurance and resignation, conviction and faith, knowledge and grace. The tree of your faith is taking roots, sprouting forth its branches, its shade closing over you, pushing out new shoots and fruits, getting higher and bigger without your providing any fertiliser to it. Allah Almighty knows what you really need. He had, therefore, assigned a befitting place for you in the Hereafter. He has made you a lord in the life-to-come where His bounties are countless, inconceivable and unheard of. As Allah has said, nobody knows what delights have been stored for your eyes in the Paradise. This shall be your recompense for the faithful performance of what has been enjoined unto you, and your endurance, resignation and submission to the will of Allah.

'As for those who have been well-afforded in this world, they have been placed in easy circumstances for they are like a barren land, rocky and sandy, which neither stores nor absorbs the rains, and it is difficult to implant the tree of faith in it. It has, therefore, to be provided with fertilisers so that the weak saplings of their faith may get nourishment and push out the shoots of righteous actions. Thus, if the wealth, honour and fame are taken away from them, the tree of their faith shall waste away and its leaves and fruits shall wither although Allah intends to make it strong. Therefore, my poor brethren, you ought to know that the faith of the wealthy does not have deeper roots, it lacks that strength which has been endowed to you, and it needs the riches and earthly prizes for its nourishment. If these gifts were to be taken away from them, their faith will give place to blasphemy and they shall join the ranks of infidels, apostates and hypocrites, unless, of course, Allah bestows on them spiritual light and illumination, endurance and resignation to strengthen their faith.'

(By Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi)

- Qatada -
05-19-2007, 02:55 PM
:salamext:

A man lives to eat, the wise man eats to live. :)

Something like that ^

vpb
05-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Those who give their fundamental freedom for a piece of security, they deserve neither freedom nor security .
Benjamin Franklin

ScoobyGurl
05-19-2007, 06:31 PM

"The highest happiness of man is to probe what is knowable and to quitely revere what is unknowable."

Goethe

I think that's a really wise quote. :)

Prisca
05-19-2007, 09:30 PM
"To ask the hard question is simple"
W.H. Auden

Zman
05-21-2007, 01:40 PM

Good judgment comes from experience,
And often experience comes from bad judgment.
[Rita Mae Brown]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.