/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When do u know when to stop..

jannat
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
:sl:
i hope u r all well inshallah. i know that shopping for clothes, accesories and the things u like should be done in moderation. we should buy things that we like and enjoy, but to what extent should i shop?.recently i have been buying alot of jewellery/ accessories etc , but i was thinkin if i am spending too much. am i wasting money? i was thinkin instead to do something more beneficial with it, i.e. should i give money to charity .

How much should we spend on ourselves which wil not go over the limits and not anger Allah Tala.When do u know when to stop shopping? as we know that shopping alot can lead to being selfish.should i continue the way i am :?

Please advise.....
Jazakallah Khair
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I think umar r.a. ( a caliphate) wore one outfit that had hole patches on it. We are greedy and want 50 different outfits, one for each day. It's like how much land do you need? All you need is 6ft (to burry you) and yet we kill and steal to get more.

Think of how many outfits you have, how often do you wear them? how long have they been sitting unworn? How often do you get new ones and old ones are out of style for you?

same with jewelry, how much of it do you actually wear ?

Do you also give zakat on all this?

Allah likes you to show the blessing you have but he doesn't like extravagance. When you compare yourself to your peers and rich folks, compare yourself to the poor as well. And then see where you stand.

jannat
05-15-2007, 06:35 PM
JZK, for that but, we live in society , not just influenced by the west but also the east, its like necessary to wear something matching with each outfit, Like the same colour jewellery as the outfit. And sometimes it can be hard as a woman to say no to beautiful pieces of cloth and jewellery.
i have realised that sometimes when we want something and then get it, it does not feel the same. its not great afta all. i guess we can all fall into the trap of loving the dunya, which is not our Final Destination!

islamirama
05-15-2007, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jannat
JZK, for that but, we live in society , not just influenced by the west but also the east, its like necessary to wear something matching with each outfit, Like the same colour jewellery as the outfit. And sometimes it can be hard as a woman to say no to beautiful pieces of cloth and jewellery.
i have realised that sometimes when we want something and then get it, it does not feel the same. its not great afta all. i guess we can all fall into the trap of loving the dunya, which is not our Final Destination!
when you have social parties and social gatherings and friends who care nothing but about shiny things and social status, then you'll have 50 suits, 30 pounds of jewelry and 200 shoe pairs. One you dress humbly and modestly, then you won't have big friend circles and only those who are not shallow and care if you wear the same suit in one week.

so the question is, are you a follower or a leader?

followers follow others like blinds, and leaders carve their own path.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Encolpius
05-15-2007, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
when you have social parties and social gatherings and friends who care nothing but about shiny things and social status, then you'll have 50 suits, 30 pounds of jewelry and 200 shoe pairs. One you dress humbly and modestly, then you won't have big friend circles and only those who are not shallow and care if you wear the same suit in one week.

so the question is, are you a follower or a leader?

followers follow others like blinds, and leaders carve their own path.
When you have social parties and social gatherings and friends who care nothing but about how you dress and not about you as a person, it's time to find some new friends.

islamirama
05-16-2007, 12:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Encolpius
When you have social parties and social gatherings and friends who care nothing but about how you dress and not about you as a person, it's time to find some new friends.
exactly! :thumbs_up

00:00
05-21-2007, 07:32 PM
When do u know when to stop shopping?
When you got nothing more to spend.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Lol. but then you won't have enough money for food etc etc. :p

anywho to your questions i would sincerly ask myself these few questions:-

1. what do we buy?
2. why do we buy them?
3. think about the poor....
4. how much of that % can take us to Hajj/Umrah?
5. can we give to charity? OR are we giving enough to charity?

There are more questions i can go on and on forever but i will leave them to you, but these were some ideas we need tot hink about.

I know many ladies/Teens/youngsters like myself *Looks down in embarrassment* loves to go shopping and waste the money, but is it really worth it after all i mean yeah go shopping 'oh them jeans look sick' pick them up put them in trolly and gets soo much iteams pay and then bounce. Times comes we have them left behind wordrobe at the back of bed... just not worth it. I know am saying all this and acting like a big fish and that but at times i think to myself i can save up all this much money and give it to poor. :cry:

I feel bad at times, but what one do? Well in my opinion one should make there self at home more action doing like recite the Qura'an more and make ya self busy, maybe call your friends and have an islamic talk etc etc

allah hu alim.

Ma'assalama

England
05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
i hope u r all well inshallah. i know that shopping for clothes, accesories and the things u like should be done in moderation. we should buy things that we like and enjoy, but to what extent should i shop?.recently i have been buying alot of jewellery/ accessories etc , but i was thinkin if i am spending too much. am i wasting money? i was thinkin instead to do something more beneficial with it, i.e. should i give money to charity .

How much should we spend on ourselves which wil not go over the limits and not anger Allah Tala.When do u know when to stop shopping? as we know that shopping alot can lead to being selfish.should i continue the way i am :?

Please advise.....
Jazakallah Khair

Put some money into cancer research and other diseases which the people of your country can benefit. I donate to cancer research, you're saving lives of other people. Surely God would be pleased with that...
I wouldn't send money to charities to help 3rd world countries such as Zimbabwe or Ethiopia alike. It goes nowhere. The government already gives a huge wad of our money to them, then there's the comic relief that they get every year.

But if you want to treat yourself with clothing, then why not? You earn it...

Encolpius
05-21-2007, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Put some money into cancer research and other diseases which the people of your country can benefit. I donate to cancer research, you're saving lives of other people. Surely God would be pleased with that...
I wouldn't send money to charities to help 3rd world countries such as Zimbabwe or Ethiopia alike. It goes nowhere. The government already gives a huge wad of our money to them, then there's the comic relief that they get every year.

But if you want to treat yourself with clothing, then why not? You earn it...
In addition, in some of these places, the aid ends up being embezzled by corrupt governmental types or local warlords. It's no coincident that President Mobutu's wealth almost exactly matched the external debt of Zaire...

Muezzin
05-21-2007, 07:57 PM
As potentially entertaining it might be to sit here and justify stinginess when it comes to the third world, it doesn't really have anything to do with the first post.

Just nipping it in the bud.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=England;744005]Put some money into cancer research and other diseases which the people of your country can benefit. I donate to cancer research, you're saving lives of other people. Surely God would be pleased with that...

But if you want to treat yourself with clothing, then why not? You earn it...[/QUOTE]

Greetings England Blud.
Hope your in the best health and hope your sister is okay aswel :)

Anywho, i just quoted you on your last statement because as a muslim one should take it easy with money and not waste money that much because people nowadays go crazy in shops even when they got that iteam they want more and more, like they say 'Money don't come floating donw river'. I would say instead of buying all the Jeans/Trackeys/Gawns/skirts give it to poor or use it in a sensible manner like go to Hajj/Umrah *Muslims*

I am talking from my own personal point of veiw because i go hectic when i go a shop buy jeans,jeans, dresses etc etc... oh don't forget CAT,,DOG,PARROT,Hamsters food lol :D

I would say use omeny wisely but at same time when there is a need to buy clothes yes your right you earn it but where did all this money come from in first place ofcourse GOD *Allah*

anywho over and out.

Take care :thumbs_up

Umar001
05-21-2007, 08:05 PM
When it comes to attr some of us just gotta keep spending, whooohooo Itr/Atr/Perfume is amazing!!

nothing better then fresh wudhu and an amazing sweet fragrance following you around.

05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
attr is too expensive man.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Thats the point if it's expensive then atleast a person can buy one then save the rest of dosh for later on in life for more Itr eh?
ma'assalama

England
05-21-2007, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
As potentially entertaining it might be to sit here and justify stinginess when it comes to the third world, it doesn't really have anything to do with the first post.

Just nipping it in the bud.
It does actually. He/She was talking about giving money to the charity. I was explaining that it's a great idea to give money to charities which help combat diseases such as cancer, but I don't think it would be wise to give money to charities to aid 3rd world countries as it goes nowhere. I don't even give money to them on comic relief. It'll only go to the likes of Mugabe, weapons etc.

05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
but I don't think it would be wise to give money to charities to aid 3rd world countries as it goes nowhere.
How do you know?

England
05-21-2007, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
How do you know?
Do you know anything about Mugabe? Where do you think he gets all of his wealth from. Why do you think he's so rich and healthy yet at the same time his people are dying from diseases, hunger, poverty etc?

Giving money to these charities is a waste. I don't even bother. So many years of charity funds to these African countries yet little progress if any..

jannat
05-21-2007, 09:18 PM

jazakallah 4 ur advice, i agree that charity should be encouraged, as the prophet and Allah tala certainly like those who help the needy, orphans, give zakat/ sadqah.
where would u ppl draw the line though, we live in a consumer society, we are always buying. if u like somefin you should buy it right? but what if u like lots of things, there is just too many choices.
All these choices make us want the dunya more!

England
05-21-2007, 09:20 PM

jazakallah 4 ur advice, i agree that charity should be encouraged, as the prophet and Allah tala certainly like those who help the needy, orphans, give zakat/ sadqah.
where would u ppl draw the line though, we live in a consumer society, we are always buying. if u like somefin you should buy it right? but what if u like lots of things, there is just too many choices.
All these choices make us want the dunya more!
Why don't you treat yourself once a week? Buy something you like one week then stop. A week later buy the next thing you like?

05-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Do you know anything about Mugabe? Where do you think he gets all of his wealth from. Why do you think he's so rich and healthy yet at the same time his people are dying from diseases, hunger, poverty etc?
You saying he gets his money from these charities that are supposed to be helping the poor people in the country?

England
05-21-2007, 09:31 PM
You saying he gets his money from these charities that are supposed to be helping the poor people in the country?
I'm saying some, if not all charities give him the money to spend on his people, to give them an education, food, water, homes, combat diseases but he doesn't. He keeps the money for himself. He'd rather build himself palaces than helping his people and when people complain they get put in jail and tortured by his regime.

05-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm saying some, if not all charities give him the money to spend on his people, to give them an education, food, water, homes, combat diseases but he doesn't. He keeps the money for himself. He'd rather build himself palaces than helping his people and when people complain they get put in jail and tortured by his regime.
Thats just sad, What i don't get is why ain't noone helping them to then. Why ain't America and Britain sending there troops to Zimbabwe, to help them out. They go to Iraq, get rid of Saddam, Afghanistan get rid of taliban why not Zimbabwe and get rid of Mugabe.

jannat
05-21-2007, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Why don't you treat yourself once a week? Buy something you like one week then stop. A week later buy the next thing you like?

good idea! i know at the end of the day we must please allah and not ppl, and sometimes doing that is hard, easily said than done! i hope inshallah allah make life easy for us and we all learn to control our desires and be content with what we have Inshallah

England
05-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Thats just sad, What i don't get is why ain't noone helping them to then. Why ain't America and Britain sending there troops to Zimbabwe, to help them out. They go to Iraq, get rid of Saddam, Afghanistan get rid of taliban why not Zimbabwe and get rid of Mugabe.
We already have British troops in Africa. They're in Sierra Leone and they've been helping to rebuild the place and their military for a while. They're constantly getting into battles with rebels.
I did hear once about sending in troops to Zimbabwe but heard nothing since.

England
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
good idea! i know at the end of the day we must please allah and not ppl, and sometimes doing that is hard, easily said than done! i hope inshallah allah make life easy for us and we all learn to control our desires and be content with what we have Inshallah

It's easy :) Believe me I can spend hundreds in just one day but when I need to I can stop. The thing you desire will still be there later on. Have you ever bought something there and then and after purchasing it about an hr later you think "I wish I hadn't bought that now?"

Umar001
05-21-2007, 10:50 PM
attr is too expensive man.
depends what type, for example me, am on the 'economic' level, my itr cost about £2:50 a bottle and is the sweetest, non muslims and muslims alike both like it.

Called Musk Al Yemen, also theres itr that this brother from yemen gets, little bottles for £1.50 which is nice but he aint been here for a while.

Akil
05-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I think umar r.a. ( a caliphate) wore one outfit that had hole patches on it. We are greedy and want 50 different outfits, one for each day. It's like how much land do you need? All you need is 6ft (to burry you) and yet we kill and steal to get more.
And you hit the nail of the head of Buddhism’s primary tenets, the four noble truths which basically states that Life is suffering, the origin of suffering is desire, it is possible to stop suffering, and that’s possible through the cessation of desire ie following the noble eight fold path and the middle way (the latter which is basicly avoiding extremisms).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.