/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is contraception allowed in Islam, like condoms and pills?

Attiqul_London
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
just wanted to know before I get married.
I have alot to learn, i know.

salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
05-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Salamualikum
Well condoms are allowed with your wife once you get married Allah Knows best.
Pills? why would you want them?
Allah forgive me for anything bad i have said. Astagfirullah
Ma'assalama

Attiqul_London
05-15-2007, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum
Well condoms are allowed with your wife once you get married Allah Knows best.
Pills? why would you want them?
Allah forgive me for anything bad i have said. Astagfirullah
Ma'assalama
i work in boots part time, alot of muslim ladies buy pills.

Kittygyal
05-15-2007, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Attiqul_London
Salamualikum.
Boots? Om... :X
Allah in the Qur’an: “So set you your face steadily and truly to the Faith: (Establish) Allah’s handiwork according to the pattern on which He has made humankind: no change (let there be) in the work (wrought) by Allah: that is the standard Religion: but most among mankind understand not.” (Al-Qur’an 30:30)

The Prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said: “Marry the one who is loving and fertile, for I will be proud of your great numbers before the nations [i.e., on the Day of Resurrection].” (Abu Dawood Hadith no. 2050, Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 1805)

(2) Temporary Methods: Following are various different temporary methods.

a) M.T.P. (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) or Abortion: All scholars unanimously agree that M.T.P. or abortion is prohibited.

Allah says in the Glorious Qur’an “...kill not your children on a plea of want; We provide sustenance for you and for them;” (Al-Qur’an 6:151)
“Kill not your children for fear of want: We shall provide sustenance for them as well as for you: verily the killing of them is a great sin.” (Al-Qur’an 17:31)

However, scholars unanimously agree that any permanent method of family planning, or even abortion, can be done if the life of the mother is in danger. For e.g. if the woman is suffering from certain diseases like heart disease or has under gone multiple caesarean operations and in her case the continuation of pregnancy or another pregnancy may be detrimental to her life, then the woman can be aborted or a permanent method of family planning can be adopted to save the life of the woman.

b) Taking birth control pills: Almost all the scholars including Shaykh Ibn Baaz, Council of the Senior Scholars [of Saudi Arabia] agree that it is not allowed to take birth control pills (Fataawa al-Marah) because of its side effects and changes in the normal physiology.

Ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Attiqul_London
05-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Salamualikum.
Boots? Om... :X
anywho do you want to know if a muslim can buy them or use them:?
Ma'assalama
Yes Boots, its a very successful retail pharmacy.

i'd like to know if a muslim sister can use it.

Kittygyal
05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes Boots, its a very successful retail pharmacy.

i'd like to know if a muslim sister can use it.
Salamualikum.
Read my above post again inshallah :)
Ma'assalama

- Qatada -
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
:salamext:

Permissibility of contraception

Question:

Is contraception allowed ?

Answer:

Al-hamdu lillaah.

Contraception is permitted under the following conditions:
  1. Mutual agreement of both husband and wife.
  2. It does not cause harm.
  3. It is not be practiced on a permanent basis, but rather for a temporary period (such as two years until the breastfeeding of the current baby is completed, for example).

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=587&ln=eng&txt=

More related fatwas:
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?pg...glist=0&ln=eng

noahs_arc
05-16-2007, 11:45 AM
pills.. i think he meant like the morning after pill. i don't know what to say about them islamically but i do know a large number of girls who have taken them. my adivce is not to take them . they mess up the females menstrual cycle and becuase of that the girl in question can get excessive wieght gain and mood swings.

original poster.. how old are you? waslam

ScoobyGurl
05-17-2007, 05:49 PM
What an IUD? It doesn't change your cycle or physiology and as soon as the IUD is removed you can begin to have children again, insha'Allah.

ummzayd
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ScoobyGurl
What an IUD? It doesn't change your cycle or physiology and as soon as the IUD is removed you can begin to have children again, insha'Allah.

:sl:

I know that often the IUD works by releasing hormones that prevent an egg from being released, but I read (and was told by a doctor) that sometimes an egg will be fertilised but the IUD prevents it from implanting in the womb. so, possibly the IUD is not ideal if you regard the fertilised egg as a human life. (please seek proper advice as I am not the expert on this, just sharing my limited knowledge).

also, to the original poster, please don't assume that just because lots of Muslim women do something, it is Islamic (and masha'Allah you haven't made that assumption as you are questioning it here).

:w:

sister_united
05-17-2007, 06:12 PM
i would suggest you do not use pills! they are not good at all, they mess up the female menstruation system and also sometimes when you become pregnant can harm the baby. go by the Sunnah of our Prophet (SAW) and you can't go far worng, although sometimes i do wonder why even though we as muslims believe Allah is the one who choose's when to bless us with a child, why do we then think we can prevent that by using manmade contraception?
Please Help!

vpb
05-17-2007, 06:41 PM

subhanallah, if a person is allright and doesn't need any pills or anything , why take them? didn't Allah swt know that we should come in life with a pack of pills? astagfirullah. there is no need to take pills without having any problem. why would I want to upgrade my OS to Vista, when XP is working just fine? :p:p:p
it's like when some people say "oo give some wine to the kid bc wine is good for kidnies " lol and the kid has fresh kidnies.
it is not for muslims to destroy themselves with such things.

may Allah swt forgive us all.

Talibatul Ilm
05-18-2007, 05:15 AM
yeah i would avoid pills, Allah never burdens a Mu'min with what he cannot bear. A child is a blessing and if Allah thinks the time is right for you to have a child then inshaAllah that is whats in the couples best interest and Allah will bless them with his Mercy and blessings. A child is something that only comes from the Rahma of Allah and he would never give it to a couple when the time is not right or if it would be bad for them, inshaAllah.

islamirama
05-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Muslims before used to practice coitus interruptus and one sahaba ask about that and the prophet (saws) said you can (any contraceptions of today), becuase what will be will be by the will of Allah. So you can use that stuff but if Allah wills you to have a child then none of that protection will stop it. So i would advise against doing the extreme things like pills and what not that can chemically affect your body.

HBot 5000
05-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Question:
On the first night after getting married, can one use contraception ( e.g condom ) or should this not be allowed. This is because it may be possible (by the will of Allah) for my future wife to get pregnant, but we may not choose to have children so early in our marriage.Please advise.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible to engage in coitus interruptus if a person does not want a child, and it is also permissible to use a condom, but that is subject to the condition that the wife gives her permission for that, because she has the right to full enjoyment and also to have a child. The evidence for that is the hadeeth of Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: We used to engage in coitus interruptus at the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). News of that reached the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he did not forbid us to do that. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 250; Muslim, 160

Although that is permitted, it is nevertheless makrooh and intensely disliked. Muslim (1442) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about coitus interruptus and he said: “That is the secret burying alive of infants.” This indicates that it is strongly disliked.

Al-Nawawi said:

Coitus interruptus means intercourse in which, when ejaculation approaches, the man withdraws and ejaculates outside the vagina. It is makrooh in our view in all circumstances and with all women, whether the woman consents to that or not, because it is a means of preventing offspring. Hence in the hadeeth it is called “the secret burying alive of children,” because it cuts off the means of producing offspring, like killing a newborn by burying him or her alive. With regard to it being haraam, our companions said that it was not forbidden…

These ahaadeeth and others, when taken in conjunction, may be understood as meaning that it is makrooh, but not strongly so, and the reports in which permission is given for that may be understood as meaning that it is not haraam; they do not mean that it is not makrooh.

It is better for the Muslim not to do that, unless there is a need for it, such as if the woman is sick and cannot cope with a pregnancy or it would be too difficult for her or would cause her harm. Also, coitus interruptus cancels out one of the purposes of marriage, which is to have a lot of children, and it also means that the woman’s pleasure is incomplete.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...eng&txt=condom

HBot 5000
05-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Is it OK to use condoms?

Question:
ASSLAMU ALAIKUM. I WANT TO KNOW WHETHER CONDOMS CAN BE USED.
OR WHAT IS THE MEANS OF PREVENTING PREGNANCY. WHAT IS THE ADVISABLE MEANS ACCORDING TO ISLAM

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible to use condoms so long as this does not cause any harm and so long as both husband and wife consent to their use, because this is similar to ‘azl (coitus interruptus or “withdrawal”). But it reduces the sensation of pleasure, which is the right of both partners, and reduces the chance of conception, which is also the right of both partners. Neither one of them is allowed to deprive the other of these rights. (For more information, see Question #1100 and 566). And Allaah is the Source of strength.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...eng&txt=condom

HBot 5000
05-18-2007, 09:00 AM

TBH when i take the plunge i will use contraception for the first year quite simply because i want to get to know my significant other. :statisfie

Also to control the number of kids because i think 2 kids are enough ( 1 boy & 1 girl) and i dont want a basketball team :X :statisfie

Spartan
05-20-2007, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummzayd

I know that often the IUD works by releasing hormones that prevent an egg from being released, but I read (and was told by a doctor) that sometimes an egg will be fertilised but the IUD prevents it from implanting in the womb. so, possibly the IUD is not ideal if you regard the fertilised egg as a human life. (please seek proper advice as I am not the expert on this, just sharing my limited knowledge).

also, to the original poster, please don't assume that just because lots of Muslim women do something, it is Islamic (and masha'Allah you haven't made that assumption as you are questioning it here).

????? :?

An IUD (intra uterine device) is a small object which affects sperm movement and survival in the uterus, some may be laced with Progestogen but essentially it is a physical object not a hormone. It is not a particularly effective form of contraception, in fact its still not known exactly how it works.

rania2820
05-20-2007, 01:01 PM
IUD can harm you though. sometimes if a person has gained weight or lost weight the IUD can fall out of place a pierce your inside. i had a cousin who's IUD fell out of place and she had to have a surgery due to internal bleeding.

S_87
05-20-2007, 01:03 PM

thats maybe because they are used to one more than one reason...

rania2820
05-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Using birth control pills at first in case the marriage fails
Question:
Is it permissable for a woman to go on the pill (female contraception) prior to her marriage, so as to avoid pregnancy in case the marriage does not work out (ie. she becomes pregnant and then they divorce and she is left with the child)? Should she inform her spouse on the wedding night or prior to the nikkah that she is on the pill? In light of the above, is it permissible to use contraceptives to avoid pregnancy in the event that the marriage might not work out (ie for the first year of the marriage)?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If it is medically proven that birth control pills are harmful to women, then it is not permissible to use them either before marriage or afterwards, on the basis of the rule that no harm should be done. This rule is based on the aayaat (interpretation of the meanings):

“And do not kill yourselves” [al-Nisa’ 4:29]

“and do not throw yourselves into destruction” [al-Baqarah 2:195]

Unless it is possible to produce pills that are free of harmful side effects, they should not be taken.

As for using any non-harmful means of contraception at the beginning of marriage, fearing that the marriage may not work out, there are a number of reservations about this, such as:

it may be a kind of pessimism, because you are expecting it to fail.

It may lead to an unhappy marital life and both spouses expecting bad of one another, because it is known that one of the most important purposes of marriage is to have children, and if this is delayed for a specific reason the relationship may cool off. If the husband finds out that this is what his wife is doing, it will spoil the relationship between them.

Pregnancy is one of the most important functions of women, which generates feelings of love and compassion towards her husband and children. If pregnancy is prevented the opposite feelings develop.

The fuqahaa’ (may Allaah have mercy on them) stipulated the condition for ‘azl (coitus interruptus) or other forms of contraception used by the woman, that it should only be done with the permission of the other spouse, because both of them have the right to have children. So it is not permissible for the wife to take birth control pills without her husband’s permission and consent.

The fear that the marriage may fail and the fact that there is a high divorce rate cannot be dealt with in this manner. The way to deal with it is to make the right choice of spouse and make sure that this is the right choice. The prospective husband should be allowed to see the prospective wife, because this is one of the ways of fostering love after marriage. Other means should also be used. We ask Allaah to guide us all. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=51...irth%20control

Spartan
05-20-2007, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rania2820
IUD can harm you though. sometimes if a person has gained weight or lost weight the IUD can fall out of place a pierce your inside. i had a cousin who's IUD fell out of place and she had to have a surgery due to internal bleeding.
yeh, their usually made of copper though I don't know why they would use such a material. :?

SUMMAYAH
05-20-2007, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000

TBH when i take the plunge i will use contraception for the first year quite simply because i want to get to know my significant other. :statisfie

Also to control the number of kids because i think 2 kids are enough ( 1 boy & 1 girl) and i dont want a basketball team :X :statisfie

narrow minded............

tasha>farah
05-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Not from an islamic point of view nw but just to say....

The morningafter pill does mess up a womans periods etc

The pill is a long term think to prevent pregnancy and as yet i don't tink their are any known long term effects.There are also many other forms of contraception that do the same thing.

The reason these things are available is because of preventing unwanted pregnancys and also a high population,etc.Can u imagine if there was NO birth control?The entire world would be over over populated!And a married couple may want to spend time getting to no each other before commiting o having children so isn't the pill a bette thing than resulting in abortion,etc?

ummzayd
05-20-2007, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Spartan

An IUD (intra uterine device) is a small object which affects sperm movement and survival in the uterus, some may be laced with Progestogen but essentially it is a physical object not a hormone. It is not a particularly effective form of contraception, in fact its still not known exactly how it works.
according to the manufacturer's there are 3 possible ways the iud could work - by preventing the sperm from reaching the egg; by preventing an egg from releasing in the first place; or if both of these fail then by 'thinning' the lining of the womb and so preventing a fertilised egg from implanting. for a muslim, this last may be problematic if they regard a fertilised egg as a human life. anyway, if any Muslims want to know more they should seek advice of a practising Muslim doctor.

http://www.mirena-us.com/howmirenaworks.html?C=&c=S1

wassalam

ScoobyGurl
05-22-2007, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Spartan

Not true. Modern IUDs have a 99% effectiveness rate. The early IUDs did have pretty low effectiveness rates though.

I've had an IUD for a year now and I'm still not pregnant.

ScoobyGurl
05-22-2007, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummzayd
according to the manufacturer's there are 3 possible ways the iud could work - by preventing the sperm from reaching the egg; by preventing an egg from releasing in the first place; or if both of these fail then by 'thinning' the lining of the womb and so preventing a fertilised egg from implanting. for a muslim, this last may be problematic if they regard a fertilised egg as a human life. anyway, if any Muslims want to know more they should seek advice of a practising Muslim doctor.

http://www.mirena-us.com/howmirenaworks.html?C=&c=S1

wassalam
This is true. An IUD could work in one of those three ways. Some scholars don't consider a human embryo to be protected until it is 40 days old. Others have a different view. I guess it ultimately comes down to the individual Muslim couple and which opinion they decide to follow.

SG

ScoobyGurl
05-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Not true. Modern IUDs have a 99% effectiveness rate. The early IUDs did have pretty low effectiveness rates though.

I've had an IUD for a year now and I'm still not pregnant.
"All second-generation copper-T IUDs have failure rates of less than 1% per year, and cumulative 10-year failure rates of 2-6%.[8] A large WHO trial reported a cumulative 12-year failure rate of 2.2% for the T 380A (ParaGard) (an average failure rate of 0.18% per year over 12 years), equivalent to a cumulative 10-year failure rate of 1.8% following tubal ligation.[3] The frameless GyneFix also has a failure rate of less than 1% per year.[9] Worldwide, older IUD models with lower effectiveness rates are no longer produced.[10]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Salamualikum.
Can this be taken in 'dudes section' please?
ma'assalama

islamirama
05-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Salamualikum.
Can this be taken in 'dudes section' please?
ma'assalama

my thougths extacly, it's getting a bit personal now...

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama

my thougths extacly, it's getting a bit personal now...
Walikumassalam.
Ya true dude. Inshallah hope the mods take an action and move it to the right gender section inshallah without any hesitation.
ma'assalama

- Qatada -
05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
:salamext:

I think i'll keep it here but i'll let it close down since others might want to know the answer too insha Allaah.

So Thread Closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.