/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam Commandments

Lee
05-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi Members

I joined this forum not long ago and visited an Islam website provided to me which was very good.

I don't know much about Islam so please bear with me...

May I please ask what the commandments are in the Islam faith?

Thank you,
Lee

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
vpb
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
hey Lee, :)

we are glad that you joined the forum and inshaAllah you will learn about Islam. you are welcome.

as for the commandments, we don't really have such things as 'commandments' like in the Old testament , but maybe the following hadith (saying of the Prophet Muhammed pbuh) would answer your question.
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 7:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles):

1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Apostle.

2. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly.

3. To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity) .

4. To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca)

5. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.

if this didn't answer your question then just shout and we'll try to answer better on exactly what you want to know :)

Musalmaan
05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
In Quran, Allah Most High says,

2:177 It is not (the only) righteousness that ye
turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is
righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day,
and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to
spend of your substance(which you love), out of love
for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy,
for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the
ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and
practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts
which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in
pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout
all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth,
the Allah.fearing.

Muslim Woman
05-16-2007, 10:42 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&
format_quote Originally Posted by Lee
...May I please ask what the commandments are in the Islam faith?

Thank you,
Lee

welcome to the forum :statisfie

the most imp commandment in Islam : God is One.

here is a short chapter from Quran.

In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

Say: He is Allah, the One!

Allah, the eternally Besought of all!

He begetteth not nor was begotten.

And there is none comparable unto Him.

some pictures from Perth/WA

Islam-Australia Inc.
Photo Gallery 2007

Kalamunda Show - 2007

Bayswater Autumn River Festival - 2007

Harmony Day - 2007

Joondalup Sunset Markets + Annual Festival 2006-2007

http://www.islam-australia.iinet.net...o_gallery.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummzayd
05-17-2007, 06:59 PM
hi Lee, peace to you and the mercy, blessings and guidance of God

as you see from previous answers there is no handy list of dos & donts under a heading of 'commandments' in the qur'an, but I think it is true to say that the 10 commandments in the bible are in agreement with Islam.

the other answers above tell you about the 5 pillars of Islam and the 6 articles of faith. In addition, as practising Muslims we strive to avoid what is haram (forbidden - eg certain foods, interest, adultery.....) and adhere to what is halal (permissible).

Tawheed - the Oneness of God - is the first thing to know about Islam.

:w:

rubiesand
05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Lee

When some of the early Muslims had to emigrate to Abyssinia to escape persecution, the King there asked them about their religion. The answer given by Jafar sums up well the general commands of Islam.

"O King, we were people steeped in ignorance, worshiping idols, eating unsacrificed carrion, committing abominations, and the strong would devour the weak. Thus we were, until God sent us a Messenger from out of our midst, one whose lineage we knew, and his veracity and his worthiness of trust and his integrity. He called us unto God, that we should testify to His Oneness and worship Him and renounce what we and our fathers had worshiped in the way of stones and idols; and he commanded us to speak truly, to fulfil our promises, to respect the ties of kinship and the rights of our neighbours, and to refrain from crimes and from bloodshed.

So we worship God alone, setting naught beside Him, counting as forbidden what He hath forbidden and as licit what He hath allowed. For these reasons have our people turned against us, and have persecuted us to make us forsake our religion and revert from the worship of God to the worship of idols. That is why we have come to thy country, having chosen thee above all others; and we have been happy in thy protection, and it is our hope, O King, that here with thee we shall not suffer wrong."

Muslim Woman
05-18-2007, 02:08 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
Hi Lee

When some of the early Muslims had to emigrate to Abyssinia to escape persecution, the King there asked them about their religion. The answer given by Jafar sums up well the general commands of Islam...."
i want to add some more :

Al-Najashi turned to Ja`far and asked: "Do you have anything of what has been revealed to your prophet?"

He said: "Yes," and recited verses from the beginning of Surah Maryam (Mary).

When Ja`far finished recitation, Al-Najashi wept until his beard was wet of tears and his patriarchs wept until their books were wet.

Afterwards, Al-Najashi said: "What is revealed to your prophet and that which was revealed to Jesus emanate from one and the same source."

He turned to `Amr and his companions and said: "Go away! By God, I will never hand them over to you."

there was another interesting comment of the king but i could not find it here. The kind draw a line on earth & said something like that : difference between Muslims & Christians is not more than this thin line.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70711

Lee
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Thank you all for answering my question, I can see I will probably need to do some more reading over time. I don't have any more questions just now, I'll have a look at what people are talking about around the forum.

I wish to thank you all for your kind welcome.:sunny:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.