/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Problem

eyeofthestorm
05-16-2007, 09:04 PM
This is what i've noticed if something positive is mentioned about islam, all the non-muslims try to put it down, i dont understand can't you just say one positive thing.
Actually can we all say at least one positive thing about other faiths not your own faith, or culture.
All this hatred will just consume YOU. give it a try..........

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
poga
05-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Om Aum Amen Amin

ranma1/2
05-19-2007, 03:32 PM
im not to sure what your talking about, could you please be specific.
If your talking about how many individuals disagree with premises that are brought forward then thats not rudeness but just reject what we perceive as a bad premise.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2007, 03:35 PM
there is nothing positive about a faith which rejects Allah. i wil never say anything good about it!

i notice your good intention, may Allah reward you for it, but NEVER let those of other faiths think their ok believing what they believe.... lest you be held accountable for it :eek:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ranma1/2
05-19-2007, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
there is nothing positive about a faith which rejects Allah. i wil never say anything good about it!

i notice your good intention, may Allah reward you for it, but NEVER let those of other faiths think their ok believing what they believe.... lest you be held accountable for it :eek:
Thats a pretty sad point of view. I can think of many positive aspects of other faiths and beliefs.

One Man Army
05-19-2007, 03:50 PM

a very sad narrow minded view

Keltoi
05-19-2007, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eyeofthestorm
This is what i've noticed if something positive is mentioned about islam, all the non-muslims try to put it down, i dont understand can't you just say one positive thing.
Actually can we all say at least one positive thing about other faiths not your own faith, or culture.
When you say something "positive" is mentioned about Islam that non-Muslims put down, could you be more specific?

- Qatada -
05-19-2007, 03:57 PM
If you think your religion is the truth - you think others are false right? That's why you follow your own. Therefore we can say that anyone who thinks their view is correct is narrow minded? I don't think so.

Peace.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2007, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ultimate truth
a very sad narrow minded view
if i think your going to hell due to your views and sympathise with your views, i will seem retarded.

i'd rather seem narrow minded then retarded!

Keltoi
05-19-2007, 04:39 PM
if i think your going to hell due to your views and sympathise with your views, i will seem retarded.

i'd rather seem narrow minded then retarded!
Perhaps we should be less judgemental about who is going to Hell. Leave the eternal judgement to God. That sounds like a good start.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2007, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Perhaps we should be less judgemental about who is going to Hell. Leave the eternal judgement to God. That sounds like a good start.
forgive me

i meant, if you DIE upon those views i have no doubt your going to hell. but if you become muslim then its up 2 Allah.. and i dont pass any judgement on it. i dont pass judgement on anything actually, Allah has already decreed that disbelievers will go to hell...s o become muslims if you want to be saved!

i hope this is more clear :)

let it be known that i believe with a hundred percent certainty that anyone who died on other then islam is in the fire...

poga
05-19-2007, 04:47 PM

:sl: very peaceful very wise point of view
one who is without islam he is at loss
this loss bankcrupts theirs good deeds:w:

Muezzin
05-19-2007, 04:50 PM
To the first post:

That's life.

don532
05-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Works both ways. That just goes with the territory.

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...9-6-7-a-4.html
my point as a muslim to prove that Jesus is not the OT messiah, is to expose christianity as a false religion, you ask why?
1-the NT writers is said to be inspired.
2-they claim that Jesus is the promised messiah because he fulfilled the OT messianic prophecies.
3-the OT prophecies concerning the messiah have never been fulfilled by anyone including Jesus.
4-hence,the New Testament writer preached false ,uninspired concepts on the readers,in order to impose their own agenda,in their seek for religious legitimacy .
5- That damage the claim of the gospel as being inspired by God,as the writers themselves proved themselves to be uninspired ,hence that proves without doubt that christianity is a false religion
as any religion stands or fall on its scripture...
Same thread previous page:
pity on those inspired idiots ,who though were inspired and were guided by the holy spirit from A to Z when they wrote,but never bothered himself to show them this distinction between the two comings of the messiah !!!
finally we found the church interpreters who fancy themselves to be not only inspired but more intellegent than all The Old Testament prophets !!

poga
05-19-2007, 05:03 PM
cursed is the tongue that utters lie
if nanak were truthful to his words surely he ought to have placed him self under the feet of Qaari the reciter of AL QURAN could he not hear the ADAHAN man he run from it he was the running SATAN

poga
05-19-2007, 05:10 PM
you asked me about one word about other faith apart from my faith
i gave you four examples
since then what this other people talking

afriend
05-19-2007, 05:15 PM
:sl:

Sister, let them say what they want to, our religion in no need of positive comments, it is high above what their lips utter out of ignorance.

"Say: O unbelievers!

"I do not worship what you worship.

"Nor do you worship what I worship.

"Nor will I ever worship what you worship.

"Nor will you ever worship what I worship.

"To you is your religion, and to me is my religion."

(Surah 109)

:w:

jasmine_c
05-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I think that even though we believe other religions are wrong there are still positive stuff about them. Like Buddhism. Ever since my cousin became a Buddhist he's been able to deal with his emotions better and stuff so it seems to be spiritual and stuff. Still, each religion has "good and bad" points about it, it just depends what you believe and how you choose to see it.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2007, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jasmine_c
I think that even though we believe other religions are wrong there are still positive stuff about them. Like Buddhism. Ever since my cousin became a Buddhist he's been able to deal with his emotions better and stuff so it seems to be spiritual and stuff. Still, each religion has "good and bad" points about it, it just depends what you believe and how you choose to see it.
can anything be good when the intention is corrupt?

Trumble
05-19-2007, 06:02 PM
can anything be good when the intention is corrupt?
An interesting philosophical question - which is, of course, totally irrelevant to the context. Which brings us back to the first post;

.. which may or may not be a good point, but if it is its just as true the other way around.

Amadeus85
05-19-2007, 06:12 PM
For me it is no problem to say something positive about islam- for example- in islam family is very important, and muslims are conservative and dont forget about their traditions, and of course religion is important in muslims' life. :)

England
05-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Why should we say anything positive about Islam when at the same time you cannot say anything positive about other religions/beliefs? I think it's pathetic when muslims tell us that we're going to hell, Islam is the one true religion, blar-de-blar. Not one can provide proof that Islam is the truth yet still shove their views down non-muslims throats. Talking to non-muslims like a piece of turd, looking down on them.

"You're going to hell for being a non muslim"

PROVE IT.

To me religion is a complete waste of time. In what I believe, religion is irrelevant to the afterlife. Yeah there is a God, yeah be thankful to him, be a decent human being but religion? Pfft naah, there's no need! You'll not be sent to hell for virtual nothing at all.

- Qatada -
05-19-2007, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Why should we say anything positive about Islam when at the same time you cannot say anything positive about other religions/beliefs? I think it's pathetic when muslims tell us that we're going to hell, Islam is the one true religion, blar-de-blar.

Which religion doesn't claim to be the truth?

Not one can provide proof that Islam is the truth yet still shove their views down non-muslims throats. Talking to non-muslims like a piece of turd, looking down on them.

I think it's not us mate, just reflect on your own post. And we don't need to look down upon anyone since we're responsible for our ownselves, and every soul will be questioned about its own actions & deeds, we will be for ours, and you will be for yours.

"You're going to hell for being a non muslim"

PROVE IT.

Then explain why God created us, since you believe in Him anyway.

To me religion is a complete waste of time. In what I believe, religion is irrelevant to the afterlife. Yeah there is a God, yeah be thankful to him, be a decent human being but religion? Pfft naah, there's no need! You'll not be sent to hell for virtual nothing at all.

Who defines decent? Is it God, if it is - then how come you don't believe He explains to us what is decent? How do you be thankful to Him - by obeying Him. If you do good, you get rewarded with Paradise which is the real home of those who obeyed God and His Messengers', if you disobeyed and were to arrogant to accept - then you get punished in the hellfire. That's the warning and glad tidings given to every servant of His.

Why should someone get rewarded for evil? And why should someone be punished for doing good? God is just to ALL His servants, and if you deny the truth when it comes to you, you can wait, and we too are waiting.

Peace.

England
05-19-2007, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Which religion doesn't claim to be the truth?
Which religion forces their extreme views down other's throats. Which religion TELLS us we're going to hell for not following their religion? Which religions looks down on other religions?

I think it's not us mate, just reflect on your own post. And we don't need to look down upon anyone since we're responsible for our ownselves, and every soul will be questioned about its own actions & deeds, we will be for ours, and you will be for yours.
It's me? Why? The question was "what is your problem" and the post was a response to the question. I cannot see anything that has forced my belief down your throats. I can't see anything that tells you that you're going to hell.

Then explain why God created us, since you believe in Him anyway.
Nobody knows, not even YOU. Perhaps he made because he is good. Why did our parents give birth to us? I don't have to get down on my knees and worship, pray 5 times a day to my parents do I?

Who defines decent? Is it God, if it is - then how come you don't believe He explains to us what is decent? How do you be thankful to Him - by obeying Him. If you do good, you get rewarded with Paradise which is the real home of those who obeyed God and His Messengers', if you disobeyed and were to arrogant to accept - then you get punished in the hellfire. That's the warning and glad tidings given to every servant of His.
We've had this discussion once before and this has already been answered by someone before I had even replied. You've already asked this question and it's already been answered. I'm sure it was you. It's not hard to distinguish between what's good and what's bad. How do you be thankful to God? By appreciating what he did, by being a good human being, not by worshipping. As for the rest of that paragraph that's just your belief. It's not fact and I don't believe in it.

Why should someone get rewarded for evil? And why should someone be punished for doing good? God is just to ALL His servants, and if you deny the truth when it comes to you, you can wait, and we too are waiting.
Who says we'll get rewarded for evil? I definately DID not say that. If you're referring to the fact people don't follow Islam as an evil act then that's ridiculous. You won't get punished for doing good but why would anyone get punished for not believing in religious beliefs despite them being decent, caring, grateful human beings?

Sami Zaatari
05-19-2007, 07:25 PM
which religion tells ppl their going to hell for not believing? erm its not Islam only, the bible does too:

http://muslim-responses.com/Going_to...Going_to_Hell_

at least if you want to argue, argue with facts, not ignorance. as for shoving down our beliefs onto you, Islam says theres no compulsion in Islam, we cant convert you, and there is not a single hadith showing the blessed prophet Muhammad forcing people to listen to him, or convert to Islam, hence again your claims are wrong. so argue from facts in the future, not ignorance plz cause as they say, inconsistency is the sign of a FAILED argument.

- Qatada -
05-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Which religion forces their extreme views down other's throats. Which religion TELLS us we're going to hell for not following their religion?

Has anyone forced you to come on the site?

Christianity tells you that if you don't believe in Jesus's sacrifice, you'll go hell. The jews believe that you go to hell. The chinese religion of Di-Yu believes that people are punished in hell. The hindus believe in a concept of hell.

Which religions looks down on other religions?
If someone follows a certain religion, they do so because they feel its the truth. If they didn't think it was the truth - they wouldn't have followed it. So if they believe they are on the truth, then they look at the other religions as false. Therefore looking down upon them since they feel they are upon the truth.

It's me? Why? The question was "what is your problem" and the post was a response to the question. I cannot see anything that has forced my belief down your throats. I can't see anything that tells you that you're going to hell.

If you feel you're upon the truth, then we need more than your experiences. We need something which people can agree on together.

Nobody knows, not even YOU. Perhaps he made because he is good. Why did our parents give birth to us? I don't have to get down on my knees and worship, pray 5 times a day to my parents do I?
Was it our parents who created us, or did they even create themselves? Did they turn that sperm drop into a baby themselves? Which then grew up into an adult? Did they get all the wealth they have themselves? Or did God give them the health (i.e. eyesight, hearing etc) they have so they can earn that money?

Shouldn't we be thankful to Him for all that? Even when we do that, we still can't be since even our thankfulness to Him is a blessing, since we wouldn't be able to do it unless He gave us the ability to.

We've had this discussion once before and this has already been answered by someone before I had even replied. You've already asked this question and it's already been answered. I'm sure it was you. It's not hard to distinguish between what's good and what's bad. How do you be thankful to God? By appreciating what he did, by being a good human being, not by worshipping. As for the rest of that paragraph that's just your belief. It's not fact and I don't believe in it.

How do you appreciate Him? And who defines being a good human being? It's none other than God Himself who sends the Criterion [Revelation i.e. the Qur'an] to His Messengers'. And the reason He doesn't show Himself is because it's all a test, if He showed himself - then the whole concept of the test would be over.

Blessed is He in Whose hand is the kingdom, and He has power over all things,

He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving;-

[Qur'an 67: 1-2]

I've already explained that worship can be anything which draws one closer to God, whether its inwardly or outwardly. Loving God is worship (an inward act of worship) and being kind to the creation is also an act of worship if it is done to please God.

Who says we'll get rewarded for evil? I definately DID not say that. If you're referring to the fact people don't follow Islam as an evil act then that's ridiculous. You won't get punished for doing good but why would anyone get punished for not believing in religious beliefs despite them being decent, caring, grateful human beings?

Do you believe that God is Alone worthy of worship? No idols, no humans etc? God explains to us what is wrong and right/good and bad. If someone belies His message and takes it as a joke - then they are doing something evil. They're not being thankful, infact they're opposing God by rejecting His Messengers'. If they accepted God's Messengers' and did good, then their reward would be with Him. But those who reject God's message and disbelieve, then God is not in need of them, and they will be punished for that.

England
05-19-2007, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
which religion tells ppl their going to hell for not believing? erm its not Islam only, the bible does too:

http://muslim-responses.com/Going_to...Going_to_Hell_

at least if you want to argue, argue with facts, not ignorance. as for shoving down our beliefs onto you, Islam says theres no compulsion in Islam, we cant convert you, and there is not a single hadith showing the blessed prophet Muhammad forcing people to listen to him, or convert to Islam, hence again your claims are wrong. so argue from facts in the future, not ignorance plz cause as they say, inconsistency is the sign of a FAILED argument.

I don't hear from many Christians AT ALL. Not once have I been told I'm going to hell, that our women are slags for showing a bit of leg, arm or whatever. The fact that I didn't know the bible states that we'll go to hell, which I believe is false anyway, just goes to show how Christians don't force their religion down our throats.
You say there is no compulsion in Islam but that means "being forced to becoming a muslim" but you force your religion on us which is totally different. You also feel superior to non-muslims, call our women slags, look at non-muslims as dirt.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2007, 07:39 PM

PROVE IT..
the proof is all around

ACCEPT IT..

Sami Zaatari
05-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't hear from many Christians AT ALL. Not once have I been told I'm going to hell, that our women are slags for showing a bit of leg, arm or whatever. The fact that I didn't know the bible states that we'll go to hell, which I believe is false anyway, just goes to show how Christians don't force their religion down our throats.
You say there is no compulsion in Islam but that means "being forced to becoming a muslim" but you force your religion on us which is totally different. You also feel superior to non-muslims, call our women slags, look at non-muslims as dirt.
so your saying ALL muslims have told you your going to hell? and you said our religion, now if you said muslims then ok, but yes our religion says it, but so does christianity!

anyways, you should really go listen to conservative christians in usa, trust me, they say ur going to hell, everyone is. as for calling your women this and that, your men call our women lots of foul names too, you have called our womens a walking vagina! i have heard all that, hairy muslim women, ugly muslim women, etc etc, so whats your point in bringing that up, all do wrong, we should look at what the religion says, and the Quran, nor the prophet Muhammad ever called your women slags.

Sami Zaatari
05-19-2007, 07:44 PM
and its not muslims who come knocking on your door neither, christians do that, knocking on your door comming to preach!

wilberhum
05-19-2007, 07:46 PM
What I have noticed is a general intolerance to anyone who thinks differently.
The posts on this thread backup my conclusion.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2007, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
What I have noticed is a general intolerance to anyone who thinks differently.
The posts on this thread backup my conclusion.
intolerance is harsh enforcement of ones views upon another, we are tolerant, we are just not sympathatic with anothers view.

understand the difference dhimmi

wilberhum
05-19-2007, 08:07 PM
intolerance is harsh enforcement of ones views upon another, we are tolerant, we are just not sympathatic with anothers view.

understand the difference dhimmi
No, intolerance is the right word. Well demonstrated by anyone that would say [MAD]can anything be good when the intention is corrupt?[/MAD] ,regarding all other religions. Not to mention the general degrading the "D" name which in terms of degrading in not much different than the "N" word.
Just more proof of intolerance.

England
05-19-2007, 08:08 PM
the proof is all around

ACCEPT IT..
Where? Show me. I cannot see it.

so your saying ALL muslims have told you your going to hell? and you said our religion, now if you said muslims then ok, but yes our religion says it, but so does christianity!

anyways, you should really go listen to conservative christians in usa, trust me, they say ur going to hell, everyone is. as for calling your women this and that, your men call our women lots of foul names too, you have called our womens a walking vagina! i have heard all that, hairy muslim women, ugly muslim women, etc etc, so whats your point in bringing that up, all do wrong, we should look at what the religion says, and the Quran, nor the prophet Muhammad ever called your women slags.
I've heard it everywhere from muslims, on the tv, on the radio, seen it on the streets with great big banners. You see an extreme reaction if for one second you criticise Islam, question it or even draw a silly little picture of the prophet. For example, in London;

I've never heard anyone call muslim women "walking vaginas" in my life or "hairy women" or anything alike. I don't care what the Quran says. The actions of muslims are more important.

and its not muslims who come knocking on your door neither, christians do that, knocking on your door comming to preach!
I've never had a Christian knock on my door to encourage me to their religion EVER.

I'm off out in a minute people to drink some alcohol and go out pulling :X Oh dear... off with my head!

IbnAbdulHakim
05-19-2007, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
No, intolerance is the right word. Well demonstrated by anyone that would say [MAD]can anything be good when the intention is corrupt?[/MAD] ,regarding all other religions. Not to mention the general degrading the "D" name which in terms of degrading in not much different than the "N" word.
Just more proof of intolerance.
im not gonna bother arguing with someone as confused as you :rollseyes

Sami Zaatari
05-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Where? Show me. I cannot see it.

I've heard it everywhere from muslims, on the tv, on the radio, seen it on the streets with great big banners. You see an extreme reaction if for one second you criticise Islam, question it or even draw a silly little picture of the prophet. For example, in London;

I've never heard anyone call muslim women "walking vaginas" in my life or "hairy women" or anything alike. I don't care what the Quran says. The actions of muslims are more important.

I've never had a Christian knock on my door to encourage me to their religion EVER.

I'm off out in a minute people to drink some alcohol and go out pulling :X Oh dear... off with my head!
lol so you generalize 1.6 billion muslims with around 200 uk muslims, lol erm?

i can bring pictures of christians saying kill gays, kill lesbians, kill abortionists, pat robertson was on tv saying kill hugo chavez, ann coulter was on tv saying invade all muslim countries and convert them to christianity.

you say you havent heard ppl call muslim women bad names, well i have, and many others too, so therefore the point of insulting each others women is mute since both do it.

Keltoi
05-19-2007, 08:22 PM
"What is your problem?" I think the problem is fairly easy to see by the posts on this thread.

aadil77
05-19-2007, 09:33 PM
forgive me

i meant, if you DIE upon those views i have no doubt your going to hell. but if you become muslim then its up 2 Allah.. and i dont pass any judgement on it. i dont pass judgement on anything actually, Allah has already decreed that disbelievers will go to hell...s o become muslims if you want to be saved!

i hope this is more clear :)

let it be known that i believe with a hundred percent certainty that anyone who died on other then islam is in the fire...
lol :D I wish the whole world could read this and accept islam without thinking twice

Eric H
05-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Greetings blessings and peace be with you eyeofthestorm;

Welcome to the forum and I believe you started this thread with very good intentions, please do not be disheartened by all that has been said. Your heart is in the right place and you must persevere with your good intentions despite all that has been said.

I admire the way Muslims pray, I admire their modesty and their submission to Allah.

My dentist is a very kind Muslim lady and she has been more caring then other dentists I have been to.

I came across a Sikh gentleman yesterday and he said we are all created by the same God and we should learn to live in peace together.

I admire the Buddhist philosophy and it has helped me to understand Christianity more.

There is one God, and this same God hears the prayers of all people of all faiths.

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth despite all our differences.

Eric

Umm Yoosuf
05-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi England

I think you're quite naive for judging Islam by the actions of few individuals. Imagine people judged Christianity or Hinduism by the follows? Imagine I judge a whole family based on one of their rude and corrupt child? What a sad way to think.

zoro
05-19-2007, 10:02 PM
eyeofthestorm:

i dont understand can't you just say one positive thing… Actually can we all say at least one positive thing about other faiths not your own faith, or culture… give it a try…
Well, as you suggested, I gave it a try, but I, too, failed – in multiple ways. For one, I had trouble limiting my comments to just “one positive thing”, and for another, there are so many “faiths” that the work became quite tedious – so I gave up!

But then, upon seeing some of the responses from others, maybe I’ll just go ahead and submit my inadequate and incomplete list, anyway – but with the disclaimer that I know it’s incomplete and I don’t guarantee that I wouldn’t modify this list after further reflection.

• What I like most about Shamanism is its respect for all aspects of Mother Nature.

• There is much to like in the “Pagan” religions. I’ll mention just a few topics:

1. I like the idea of assignments of different roles (different ideals) to different gods, e.g., different gods for different aspects of nature (e.g., the wind god Woden, whom we in the West still honor every Wednesday = Woden’s day; the thunder god Thor, whom we honor every Thursday = Thor’s day; the Mother god, Frey, whom we honor every Friday = Frey’s day; and so on), different gods for different concepts and ideals (justice, love, wisdom, etc.), and especially I like the way that many polytheistic religions specifically identified a way to honor the accomplishments that have helped humanity (e.g., the Egyptian god Osiris and the Greek god Prometheus).

2. I like the way polytheistic religions generally leave the challenge of defining and assigning morals to tellers of stories about heroes and behaviors within families and communities. This can be seen in the first writing in both Egypt and Mesopotamia. An example from Mesopotamia is shown below, showing “moral instruction” contained in one of the oldest clay tablets (dated to be from about 4600 years ago), the “The Instructions to Zi-ud-sura from his Father”. For comparison, I’ve added the indicated and obvious parallels in the Old Testament, put together more than 2,000 years later:

• You should not speak improperly… You should not curse strongly… --> “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain…”

• You should not speak arrogantly to your mother… You should not question the words of your mother… The instructions of the father should be complied with. --> “Honor thy father and thy mother.”

• You should not cause a quarrel… You should not pick a quarrel… My son, you should not use violence… --> “Thou shalt not kill.”

• You should not buy a prostitute… You should not play around with a married young woman… You should not commit rape on someone’s daughter… You should not have sex with your slave girl --> “Thou shalt not commit adultery.”

• You should not steal anything… you should not commit robbery… --> “Thou shalt not steal.”

• You should not… [tell] lies… --> “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.”
• You should not serve things; things should serve you… --> “Thou shalt not covet…”
3. Also, I like the idea in polytheistic (or pagan) religions that the gods were assumed to be nearby, and everywhere – and they instantaneously evaluated people’s behavior. To illustrate, I’ll quote Francis Clark’s on-line book entitled Monotheism and Madness:

To the ethical pagan, right actions are a matter of choice. Your moral quality is determined by the choices you make when presented with alternative courses of action. It is not a matter of black-and-white rules as much as a matter of general principles applied to varying situations. Simplistic rules remove the opportunity for moral choice. They are also not applicable to many situations, since the difficult moral choices, the ones that truly define your nature, are often not clearly defined. If rules come to mean the denial of natural desires in situations that bring no harm to another, they become absurd. If the rules lead to an increase in human suffering or to results that are unjust, morality becomes unnatural. The result is that the concept of morality itself is undermined.

[Although] the pagan viewpoint is not one of strict rules, it is one that contains a clear concept of right and wrong. In its simplest statement, morality can be expressed as: “If it harms no one, do what you wish.” This principle is simple in statement and difficult in application, as few human situations offer easy choices. The pagan considers it moral to pursue your own happiness, but one must also assure that this pursuit does not harm others. And, in situations where your own happiness is not involved, the objective is to minimize harm to others. To a polytheist, concepts like honesty, compassion, and truth are moral guidelines. Principles and guidelines allow you to resolve moral quandaries, even when rules don’t apply…

Paganism is the cauldron in which our civilization was created. The stories and legends of those times are still with us. It is a religion that is less forgiving, but more malleable. It has a more human scale. And perhaps of greatest importance, it is “imme-diate.” [From Latin in or im meaning ‘not’ and mediatus meaning ‘intervening’.] The gods are believed to be all around us. That belief is a strange one in a society in which the divine is separated from daily life… For a pagan, the gods are immanent. They are not “there,” they are “here.” How different this world might be if that perception were true for most of the population. And if it seems impossible, remember that this state of mind was considered normal for much of our history.
Other, later, great “Pagan” ideas (taken here from the Akkadian Councils of Wisdom, as cited in Pritchard’s Ancient Near Eastern Texts) include: “Do not return evil to your adversary; Requite with kindness the one who does evil to you; Maintain justice for your enemy; Be friendly to your enemy.”

• Who could not like the brilliance of the ideas in Taoism (and similarly in Shintoism) of the connectedness of opposites and the unity of the whole?!

• Kung the master (aka Confucius) was so brilliant that it’s difficult to choose what I like most about Confucianism. For the time being, maybe I’d suggest his idea about reciprocity, e.g., “recompose injury with justice, and recompense kindness with kindness” – but then, immediately I’d want to add his “When we see men of worth, we should think of equaling them; when we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves”, his “While you do not know life, how can you know about death?”, and his “To give one’s self earnestly to the duties due to men, and, while respecting spiritual beings, to keep aloof from them, may be called wisdom.”

• If some of the ancient phrasings in Zoroastrianism are converted to more modern usage, there’s much to like, but if I were forced to pick the best, I’d probably go with Voltaire: As Paul DuBreuil wrote: “Voltaire wrote that the best expression of morality he had ever known stands in this Zoroastrian precept of the Saddar: ‘When you are not sure if an action is right or wrong, just abstain from doing it, i.e. when in doubt, don’t’.”

• There’s much to like in Judaism, but perhaps the best is what’s written at Ecclesiastics 32, 23 and Ecclesiastics 37, 13:

Whatever you are doing, rely on yourself, for this, too, is a way of keeping the commandments… [T]rust you own judgment, for it is your most reliable counselor.
• I like the ideas in Gnosticism that “if you pray, you will be condemned” and that the only Heaven is here, on Earth, now, but people don’t see it.

• I think that the best in Christianity are the coupled ideas of separating church and state (render to Caesar, etc.), the separation of money from the religion (turning the tables, etc.), and the separation of clerics from the spiritual life of the people (if you would pray, etc.)

• In my view, the best of Islam is its attempts to eliminate racism.

• The best of Science is undoubtedly the scientific method – a way, finally, to discard “mere speculations” and to struggle toward “truth”.

• Who wouldn’t like the Humanitarian ideal expressed in Albert Schweitzer’s “Reverence for life affords me my fundamental principle of morality”?

• The best of Humanism is surely its promotion of basic human rights for all.

• Secular Humanism has the great idea, paraphrased as: “Forget about placating gods; how can we help humanity.”

• In my view, Scientific Humanism puts it all together: attempts to help solve human problems intelligently, via application of scientific methods and results, taking great care to protect basic rights of all humans.

And I apologize that my list is incomplete and inadequate, but I have both limited knowledge and limited time.

aadil77
05-19-2007, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings blessings and peace be with you eyeofthestorm;

Welcome to the forum and I believe you started this thread with very good intentions, please do not be disheartened by all that has been said. Your heart is in the right place and you must persevere with your good intentions despite all that has been said.

I admire the way Muslims pray, I admire their modesty and their submission to Allah.

My dentist is a very kind Muslim lady and she has been more caring then other dentists I have been to.

I came across a Sikh gentleman yesterday and he said we are all created by the same God and we should learn to live in peace together.

I admire the Buddhist philosophy and it has helped me to understand Christianity more.

There is one God, and this same God hears the prayers of all people of all faiths.

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth despite all our differences.

Eric
wow, atleast someone on this thread can post a straight reply without arguing about it :thumbs_up

vpb
05-19-2007, 10:39 PM
muslims, why don't we just avoid these type of discussions , cuz i think it doesn't profit anything arguing with people about Islam.

Surah 109. The Disbelievers, Atheists

1. Say : O ye that reject Faith!
2. I worship not that which ye worship,
3. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
4. And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,
5. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
6. To you be your Way, and to me mine.

wilberhum
05-19-2007, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Hi England

I think you're quite naive for judging Islam by the actions of few individuals. Imagine people judged Christianity or Hinduism by the follows? Imagine I judge a whole family based on one of their rude and corrupt child? What a sad way to think.
I see Muslims here judging many different groups by the action of a few frequently.

- Qatada -
05-19-2007, 10:43 PM
I think this threads had its fun. :)

Thread Closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.