/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Begging/beggers???

Aziaf
05-17-2007, 10:12 PM
:D :sl: :D

Hope all of you Inshallah are well and happy:)

Today I encountered a poblem :-[ , faced a situation i dint quite know how to handle..:exhausted

A lady came begging at my door, she seemed to know exaclty where the muslims live-surprisingly! Last time it had happened( or has hapened on several occasions..knocking on doors and approaching in person) I gave the lady money and then for the rest of the day I had women (dressed similarly /eastern european looking )knockng on my door.

I felt the lady wasnt genuine an so I refused to give her anything today. This is the first time I have done that.I feel awfullllll...

I know begging is'nt allowed in Islam.

But I was wondering if anyone knew of how to deal with such people, how to decide whether the person is genuine...or not???

*If the person seems genuine and in need, what if they use it for wrong deeds?

*What if you dont give it and they really need it?

*What if they are using this as some sort of scheme to make money and manipulatig people?

I once even directed a people towards the mosque, because I know some mosques try and help people if they are in genuinely in a situation where they can not fend for themselves ect esp when they have young children and even try finding them accomadation and stuff, but when i direct towards the mosque they either loose intrest, continue to ask for money or just walk off.

I had a lot of questions, some of the answers were answered by the article answering a question on begging below:

:D :wasalamex:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aziaf
05-19-2007, 03:45 PM
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, first of all, we'd like to voice our appreciation for the great confidence you repose in us. Our utmost wish is to have our efforts come up to your expectation. May Allah help us all keep firm on the Straight Path, Amen!

In response to your question, the eminent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, states:

“The fundamental attitude of Islam towards man's position in the world is that Allah the Almighty has made the earth for his benefit. He has given him control over it. Then it becomes man's duty to profit from this favor and to exert himself to seek Allah's bounties throughout the earth.

It is not permitted for a Muslim to stay idle doing nothing to make a living on the pretext of devoting his life to worship or putting trust in Allah. He should know that the sky never rains gold or silver. Also, it is not permissible for him to depend on charity while he is able to earn a sufficient subsistence for himself and his family through his own efforts. In this regard, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, says: "Charity is Halal (lawful) neither for the rich nor for the able bodied." (Reported by At-Tirmidhi)

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, has made it Haram for a Muslim to beg money from others without dire necessity, thus losing his honor and dignity. He says: "He who begs without need is like a person holding a burning piece of coal in his hand.'' (Reported by Al-Bayhaqi and by Ibn Khuzaymah)

He also says: "Anyone who begs from people in order to increase his wealth will have his face scratched on the Day of Resurrection, and will eat burning stones from Hell; so let him reduce it (his punishment) or let him increase it as he pleases." (Reported by At-Tirmidhi) This means that it is up to him to decrease his punishment by not begging, and vice-versa.

Again, he says: "A person keeps on begging until he meets Allah (on the Day of Resurrection) with no flesh on his face." (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

By such strong admonitions, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, intended to train the Muslim to safeguard his dignity, develop self-reliance, and steer clear of depending on others. As the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, was aware of situations of necessity, he stipulated that if one is forced to seek financial help from the government or from individuals out of dire need, he is blameless. The Prophet, peace and blessings be on him, says: "Begging is similar to scratching the flesh off your face; so if someone wants to save his face he should avoid it, except for asking from the ruler or asking in case of dire need." (Reported by Abu Dawud and An-Nisa'i)

In his Sahih, Muslim quoted Abu Bishr Qubaysah ibn Al-Makharaf as saying: "I agreed to pay Himalah (an amount of money paid to two quarreling parties to reconcile them) and came to the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be on him, asking for help. Thereupon, the Prophet, peace and blessings be on him, said, 'Wait until alms (Sadaqah) are brought to us and we will give you from that. Qubaysah,' (the Prophet went further) 'asking for money is not permissible except in three cases: for a man who takes it upon himself to pay Himalah, he may seek people’s help until the designated amount is received and then he should stop asking; for a calamity-stricken man who loses his property, it is permissible for him to seek financial assistance until he is able to stand on his own feet; and for a man who is starving, with three reliable persons from his community testifying to that saying ‘Oh, this man has been reduced to hunger!’ It is permissible for him to ask (for charity) until he is able to stand on his own feet.’ Except for these cases, Qubaysah, begging is fire, it is devouring fire.'” (Reported by Abu Dawud and An-Nisai)

Here is the crucial question: Who are the worthy recipients of Sadaqah? It should be given to a Muslim who happens to deserve it. If, however, it is known that he will use it to perpetuate what Allah has forbidden, then he's not entitled to it. It is preferable that one who pays Sadaqah should give it to the pious, the knowledgeable, and those of a kind disposition.

Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri quotes the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, as saying: "The likeness of a believer and the likeness of belief are similar to the horse that, tied to its post, oscillates around. The believer may forget, but he returns to his belief. Thus, give your food to the righteous people and entrust your favors to the believers." (Reported by Ahmad)”

Allah Almighty knows best.

original question and answer can be found on
www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544186

Does anybody know of any other sources of information that knows how to deal with beggers or any suggestions as to how to tackle this problem?

Id appreciate the help, Jazakallah in advance

Emperor
05-24-2007, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aziaf
:D :sl: :D

Hope all of you Inshallah are well and happy:)

Today I encountered a poblem :-[ , faced a situation i dint quite know how to handle..:exhausted

A lady came begging at my door, she seemed to know exaclty where the muslims live-surprisingly! Last time it had happened( or has hapened on several occasions..knocking on doors and approaching in person) I gave the lady money and then for the rest of the day I had women (dressed similarly /eastern european looking )knockng on my door.

I felt the lady wasnt genuine an so I refused to give her anything today. This is the first time I have done that.I feel awfullllll...

I know begging is'nt allowed in Islam.

But I was wondering if anyone knew of how to deal with such people, how to decide whether the person is genuine...or not???

*If the person seems genuine and in need, what if they use it for wrong deeds?

*What if you dont give it and they really need it?

*What if they are using this as some sort of scheme to make money and manipulatig people?

I once even directed a people towards the mosque, because I know some mosques try and help people if they are in genuinely in a situation where they can not fend for themselves ect esp when they have young children and even try finding them accomadation and stuff, but when i direct towards the mosque they either loose intrest, continue to ask for money or just walk off.

I had a lot of questions, some of the answers were answered by the article answering a question on begging below:
Hello Aziaf:

I think directing them to a mosque may help determine whether or not the beggars are sincere. If they really need help, it would seem unlikely that they would stop short of going to a mosque as you direct them. However, I do not think it is possible to know for sure if they are truly needy unless you saw firsthand how they are living.

Furthermore, here are some Quranic verses that are certainly relevant:

2:271. If you give alms openly, it is well; but if you do it secretly and give to the poor, that is better. This will absolve you of some of your sins; and God is cognisant of all you do.
2:272. It is not for you to guide them: God guides whom He will. Whatever you spend you will do so for yourself, for you will do so to seek the way that leads to God; and what you spend in charity you will get back in full, and no wrong will be done to you.
2:273. (Give to) the needy who are engaged in the service of God who are not able to move about in the land, whom the ignorant consider to be affluent as they refrain from asking. You can know them from their faces for they do not ask of men importunately. God is surely cognisant of good things that you spend.

Here it says that abstaining from persistent begging is a characteristic of poor individuals who are sincere and truly in need of help, but does not say that open begging denotes dishonesty. As said above, you cannot know for sure if the people coming to your door for money are or are not truly needy, but your decision to direct them to a mosque does not at all hurt. It is better than giving money yourself in that your advice alone can be considered as help for the needy.:) Again, use your judgment in this matter.

Aziaf
05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
:sl: :D :sl: :D :sl: :D :sl: :D

2:271. If you give alms openly, it is well; but if you do it secretly and give to the poor, that is better. This will absolve you of some of your sins; and God is cognisant of all you do.
2:272. It is not for you to guide them: God guides whom He will. Whatever you spend you will do so for yourself, for you will do so to seek the way that leads to God; and what you spend in charity you will get back in full, and no wrong will be done to you.
2:273. (Give to) the needy who are engaged in the service of God who are not able to move about in the land, whom the ignorant consider to be affluent as they refrain from asking. You can know them from their faces for they do not ask of men importunately. God is surely cognisant of good things that you spend.
Jazakallah for the reply and the ayahs you have mentioned are enough for me to able to deal with the situation Inshallah should it arise again.

I most certainly appreciate it.May Allah swt guide us all,and give us the courage to ask from him and him only before we are put in a situation where we feel we dint ask for enough. May Allah swt give unsparingly to those who need it the most like he does to us and may we never fall short of helping a muslim when we have the oppotunity.
Ameen.

:w: :D :w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.