/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts!

.:Umniyah:.
05-18-2007, 02:52 AM
:D Im Martial arts infatuated....Anyone else on here like/love or interested in martial arts?

I love taekwondo, and jujitsu....and lately MMA has drawn my attention. For any Martial Artist out there, what do you guys do for home excerise and to practise and stuff?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hashim_507
05-18-2007, 03:23 AM
I have black belt from matering tak wando.

05-18-2007, 03:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
I have black belt from matering tak wando.
is tak wando the same as taekwondo...if so im sooo jealous :p any tips?

Hashim_507
05-18-2007, 04:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by .:Umniyah:.
is tak wando the same as taekwondo...if so im sooo jealous :p any tips?
I am not in the military but they gave me training years ago as a class for youths who want to advance tak wando. The name dont matter, its the same. My tips are be patience, be in good health or shape. Do a lot of stretching before starting training. Practice the lessons your teacher assign you before you meet up with him or her.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
05-18-2007, 04:37 AM
I am not in the military but they gave me training years ago as a class for youths who want to advance tak wando. The name dont matter, its the same. My tips are be patience, be in good health or shape. Do a lot of stretching before starting training. Practice the lessons your teacher assign you before you meet up with him or her.
i dont have a teacher at the moment:cry: videos yeah, but i far outgrown them and need to order more....yeah and patience are a big part, cuz its hard sometimes and frustrating.
Anyways thanks bro :peace:

Tilmeez
05-18-2007, 05:16 AM
I practiced Kung Fu and Thai Kick Boxing years ago. these days not practicing due to lake of time. one thing i like about martial arts they give you good shape, good health and off course patience. Practice is the basic key to mastering it. Good results are directly propotioinal to the time invested.

Hashim_507
05-18-2007, 05:46 AM
i
dont have a teacher at the moment videos yeah, but i far outgrown them and need to order more....yeah and patience are a big part, cuz its hard sometimes and frustrating.
Anyways thanks bro
Dont give up sister..:)

05-18-2007, 05:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
I practiced Kung Fu and Thai Kick Boxing years ago. these days not practicing due to lake of time. one thing i like about martial arts they give you good shape, good health and off course patience. Practice is the basic key to mastering it. Good results are directly propotioinal to the time invested.
So did you teacher have you on a certain eating pattern? or did you have any self imposed ones?

05-18-2007, 06:33 AM
i

Dont give up sister..:)
InshaaAllah Thanks bro:)

Snowflake
05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm so :(

I wanna learn martial arts but there's only mixed classes around here. It is possible to learn from vids? Or can I hook up a punch bag and practice kicking and punching that? Sometimes, I need to punch something.

05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
lol....i seriously doubt in jihaad people are going to fight with knees elbows and head butts...funni thought seeing someone fighting martial arts and someone shooting at them, or ran him over with a tank loool;D

05-18-2007, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
I'm so :(

I wanna learn martial arts but there's only mixed classes around here. It is possible to learn from vids? Or can I hook up a punch bag and practice kicking and punching that? Sometimes, I need to punch something.
Me too:( thats why i dont have a teacher...all the classes are mixed, and then all the teachers are male.

Well i dont know how well, i learned properly from the DVD i have but then more advance stuff i cant really say.

and we all do. martial arts gives you a focus of energy mashaaAllah, and you have better mind body control.

Malaikah
05-18-2007, 10:34 AM
:sl:

Discipline is a central part of martial arts, there is no way you can learn it properly from a video... there is no motivation. You really need a teacher.

Taekwondo rocks! Punching bag is a good idea... I haven't touched ours in years lol. :X But they aren't the same as practising with a person.

Oh man this makes me miss the old days! :D

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I've done martial arts on-and-off throughout my life, I haven't practiced for about 2 years now. From all the styles I'd have to say Thai-boxing + Jui-Jitsu are the best to do simultaneously although if you're young and starting new Tae kwon do or kungfu would be good for flexibility.

I've been watching MMA since it started, quite cool.

Al-Zaara
05-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Asselamu aleykum,

Martial Arts rock.

I stopped practicing over a 1 year ago. I mainly did karate and sometimes went to kung fu classes. I practiced properly for about 2 years then I got bored. :X

InshaAllah I'd love to start again very soon.

Snowflake
05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Me too:( thats why i dont have a teacher...all the classes are mixed, and then all the teachers are male.

Well i dont know how well, i learned properly from the DVD i have but then more advance stuff i cant really say.

and we all do. martial arts gives you a focus of energy mashaaAllah, and you have better mind body control.
I wouldn't mind learning from a dvd, but I don't know how effective it's going to be. And how do you know if you've learnt properly? Isn't is important to have an opponent? I just can't imagine fighting with thin air.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't mind learning from a dvd, but I don't know how effective it's going to be. And how do you know if you've learnt properly? Isn't is important to have an opponent? I just can't imagine fighting with thin air.
Baaji dvd is good depending on who it teaching but nothing like actually training with an martial arts instructor in a gym. I mean if you can practice from t hose aerobics showns on tele then you can learn from a vid.

05-18-2007, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
I've done martial arts on-and-off throughout my life, I haven't practiced for about 2 years now. From all the styles I'd have to say Thai-boxing + Jui-Jitsu are the best to do simultaneously although if you're young and starting new Tae kwon do or kungfu would be good for flexibility.

I've been watching MMA since it started, quite cool.
Thai boxing seems cool, only i think their style is more 'defensive' than fighting, they are 'too' patient, i like to move, kick punch fight....they spend more time blocking hits and 'waiting' on that perfect timing....maybe just from what ive seen...but Allah no art ive seen has more PATIENCE than shoalin ...subhanAllah id grow utterly bored with it.
But Juijitsu is nice most def.

And yes i NEED flexibility lol youd have a easier time bending a wooden plank...than me....lol

05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I dunno i just see what he does and work at it for days and days at a time...practise my footwork kicks and punches and learn alll my stances and forms and stuff...i cant say properly but i learned it best to what i could do without a teacher mashaaAllah....but naturally nothing is better than an actually sensai (sp?) and yes fighting someone helps too :( ...you cant spar alone

05-18-2007, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Asselamu aleykum,

Martial Arts rock.

I stopped practicing over a 1 year ago. I mainly did karate and sometimes went to kung fu classes. I practiced properly for about 2 years then I got bored. :X

InshaAllah I'd love to start again very soon.
What kind of stuff does karate do? i dont know much about karate...

Snowflake
05-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Baaji dvd is good depending on who it teaching but nothing like actually training with an martial arts instructor in a gym. I mean if you can practice from t hose aerobics showns on tele then you can learn from a vid.
You've got a point there chote bhai. I see how it can work by making a person familiar with the moves etc. I'd def give it a go now.

I dunno i just see what he does and work at it for days and days at a time...practise my footwork kicks and punches and learn alll my stances and forms and stuff...i cant say properly but i learned it best to what i could do without a teacher mashaaAllah....but naturally nothing is better than an actually sensai (sp?) and yes fighting someone helps too ...you cant spar alone
MashaAllah. I admire that sis. Seeing other sisters making the effort really inspires me to do the same. Don't give up. I love what you're doing.

What kind of stuff does karate do? i dont know much about karate...
I think it's when they break slabs and stuff with karate chops or head butts? :? If that's karate, I don't wanna know lol.

Anyone ever tried nonchakus? lol painful!

05-19-2007, 12:01 AM
MashaaAllah. InshaaAllah i'll try. And you try too InshaaAllah.
and nope i never started fighting with weps. want to tho...have you?

Snowflake
05-19-2007, 12:26 AM
MashaaAllah. InshaaAllah i'll try. And you try too InshaaAllah.
and nope i never started fighting with weps. want to tho...have you?

inshaAllah :)

well my bro used to use nunchukas and I tried learning from him. But I hit myself a few times and it put me off lol. What kind of weapons would you like to try?

I'm also fascinated with how pressure points can be used to knock someone out or even kill them. I dunno which form of martials arts that comes in. But I guess it must be for the advanced pupils only.

Btw, can you recommend some vids for me sis?

islamirama
05-19-2007, 01:36 AM
Check out paki Ju-Jitsu, it used be for army only but even civilians are now taking it, including women.

http://www.ju-jitsupakistan.com/juji...ie/index2.html

Pakistan emerge on the globe as Ju-Jitsu Asian Champion

Position ------------- Country

First Position -------- Pakistan
Second Position ------Kazakhstan
Third Position -------- Taiwan

05-19-2007, 02:15 AM
inshaAllah :)

well my bro used to use nunchukas and I tried learning from him. But I hit myself a few times and it put me off lol. What kind of weapons would you like to try?

I'm also fascinated with how pressure points can be used to knock someone out or even kill them. I dunno which form of martials arts that comes in. But I guess it must be for the advanced pupils only.

Btw, can you recommend some vids for me sis?
Wow that mustve hurt bad! ive fiddled around with those things before and hit myself aswell but it was never for training or anything just mere amusement. I wasnt so amused afterwards :rollseyes

Oh, maybe it is more adavanced....do you know enough about them to share anything? i do enjoy knowing how to defend myself without always having to 'fight'.

and about the videos, i have this site which i cant remember the name of right now, silly msn explorer erased all of my favorites :enough!: as soon as i rememeber i'll let you know InshaaAllah

EDIT: aha! i remembered. here you are sis
http://www.turtlepress.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

05-19-2007, 02:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Check out paki Ju-Jitsu, it used be for army only but even civilians are now taking it, including women.

http://www.ju-jitsupakistan.com/juji...ie/index2.html

Pakistan emerge on the globe as Ju-Jitsu Asian Champion

Position ------------- Country

First Position -------- Pakistan
Second Position ------Kazakhstan
Third Position -------- Taiwan
wow i didnt even know that. funny how people all around the world have the exact same interest mashaaAllah.

Do you practise an art yourself bro?

islamirama
05-19-2007, 05:14 AM
wow i didnt even know that. funny how people all around the world have the exact same interest mashaaAllah.

Do you practise an art yourself bro?
I found it surprisingly amusing the fact that pakistan is in first place in Asia in these competitions, you sure don't see that on western media :P

I know a great deal about maritial arts, grew up watching old traditional chinese maritial arts movies. I also have nanchaku but can't use it much except swing it from side to side like crazy :D

Inshallah i like to learn one day though. Personal interests are

Bushido (sword fight)
Jeet Kun Do (close range hand to hand invented by Bruce Lee)
Ji-Jutso (preferrably Brazilian as that is the best and most brutual/intense)
Shaolin Kung Fu (based on 5 animals, really good if you don't go to some smuck)
Kenjutsu (samurai's sword art)

I guess that's all for now :)

Check out these stick fight flashes :)

http://www.martialartssupplies.com/stickfight.html

Malaikah
05-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I think it's when they break slabs and stuff with karate chops or head butts? :? If that's karate, I don't wanna know lol.

In taekwondo you have to break pieces of wood by kicking them- it is so easy, and you feel awesome knowing you can do it! :D

Snowflake
05-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Wow that mustve hurt bad! ive fiddled around with those things before and hit myself aswell but it was never for training or anything just mere amusement. I wasnt so amused afterwards :rollseyes

Oh, maybe it is more adavanced....do you know enough about them to share anything? i do enjoy knowing how to defend myself without always having to 'fight'.

and about the videos, i have this site which i cant remember the name of right now, silly msn explorer erased all of my favorites :enough!: as soon as i rememeber i'll let you know InshaaAllah

EDIT: aha! i remembered. here you are sis
http://www.turtlepress.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y
I gave up before I learnt anything that I can share with you. Nunchukas didn't appeal to me very much. It was more a fun thing really. But how do you defend yourself without having to fight sis?

Another question is that why does the mind goes blank sometimes in a fight and you can't recall some moments afterwards. That's pretty scary cuz it happened to me once.

P.S. Tnx for the link sis & Islamirama bro. All these diff forms of martial arts are starting to confuse me though. :confused:

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

In taekwondo you have to break pieces of wood by kicking them- it is so easy, and you feel awesome knowing you can do it! :D
Hehe! What about with your hands? Sounds painful. I think I'd only try that with polystyrene boards lol.

islamirama
05-19-2007, 11:52 PM

The only thing know about throwing punches is that we should curl our thumb over our fingers as keeping it straight would break it. Got anymore tips bro?
puttg thumb on fingures also enforces a tighter control and more powerful punch. Best practices for girls are think are "hot spot" hits. Open palm jab to the chin, nose, ear slap/cupping to bothsides, thumb jam in eyes, knucle punch or karate chop or fist to the thorat, soccer kick to the groin. Unless you were very good in your fighting or great strenght, other moves won't help much.

One move is when someone grabs hand/fore-arm and don't let go is you twist their thumb back sliding it up against their hand. The sensei demonstrated that one but he kept going back and i was look, nope can't hurt me, try another move (or teach ladies another move) :D

Keltoi
05-19-2007, 11:59 PM
I've been involved with martial arts one way or another since I was 6 years old, primarily Karate but also a little Judo. Did alot of tournament fighting in my younger days. Still keep it up a little, mainly just to keep in shape. I've found that kickboxing is probably the best discipline to get into if one wants to get into good overall shape.

abu abdurrahman
05-20-2007, 06:45 AM

I've realy been into watching MMA for quite a while now, keep up to date with the latest match-up's. :thumbs_up

I love jujitsu...

haven't taken a step to go classes or anything like that but i would love to.

At the moment just grapple loads with my brother on the living room floor, doing submission moves on each other.

Currently nursing a bruised nose, sore shoulder, strained thigh and stiff neck... :exhausted

So yeah... going good, MashaAllah :rollseyes

Malaikah
05-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Hehe! What about with your hands? Sounds painful. I think I'd only try that with polystyrene boards lol.

I wouldn't try that.:X My arms are way to weak plus taekwondo focuses more in kicking than arm moves and stuff.

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 10:01 AM
puttg thumb on fingures also enforces a tighter control and more powerful punch. Best practices for girls are think are "hot spot" hits. Open palm jab to the chin, nose, ear slap/cupping to bothsides, thumb jam in eyes, knucle punch or karate chop or fist to the thorat, soccer kick to the groin. Unless you were very good in your fighting or great strenght, other moves won't help much.

One move is when someone grabs hand/fore-arm and don't let go is you twist their thumb back sliding it up against their hand. The sensei demonstrated that one but he kept going back and i was look, nope can't hurt me, try another move (or teach ladies another move) :D
My bro showed me the thumb twist recently (I think he'd been to ju jistsu classes) and it was good move. He also showed me how to grab someone's neck from behind and push their head down with your other hand - this will make them pass out. Personally, I'd be too worried about breaking someone's neck in the process.

When you say, thumb jam, do you mean, you have to jab their eyes really hard quickly, or press on them constantly? And also how does the ear slapping cause pain to someone. It sounds really mild :?

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I wouldn't try that.:X My arms are way to weak plus taekwondo focuses more in kicking than arm moves and stuff.
Mainly kicking sounds good enough, especially as you don't have to be very close to your opponent. That's gotta be safer than being too close to them and giving them the chance to hit you. :thumbs_up

I used to have a lot of strength in my arms, but I guess I derived that from my mind, can't explain how though. But I've noticed that I'm a lot weaker now and start shaking if I use too much force - in DIY! lol. I feel I'm turning into a weak and pathetic little female and I hate it. :'(

My question:
If you're faced with an attacker, what is very first best move to hurt them before they attack you? Strangely since I've become more islamic, I find it hard to be aggressive. But I don't wanna lose my 'touch' if you know what I mean.

Keltoi
05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
My bro showed me the thumb twist recently (I think he'd been to ju jistsu classes) and it was good move. He also showed me how to grab someone's neck from behind and push their head down with your other hand - this will make them pass out. Personally, I'd be too worried about breaking someone's neck in the process.

When you say, thumb jam, do you mean, you have to jab their eyes really hard quickly, or press on them constantly? And also how does the ear slapping cause pain to someone. It sounds really mild :?

Mainly kicking sounds good enough, especially as you don't have to be very close to your opponent. That's gotta be safer than being too close to them and giving them the chance to hit you. :thumbs_up

I used to have a lot of strength in my arms, but I guess I derived that from my mind, can't explain how though. But I've noticed that I'm a lot weaker now and start shaking if I use too much force - in DIY! lol. I feel I'm turning into a weak and pathetic little female and I hate it. :'(

My question:
If you're faced with an attacker, what is very first best move to hurt them before they attack you? Strangely since I've become more islamic, I find it hard to be aggressive. But I don't wanna lose my 'touch' if you know what I mean.
The throat is always a good spot. Right around the Adam's Apple. I'm speaking from experience here, so I know it works very well. I was on the receiving end too.

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
The throat is always a good spot. Right around the Adam's Apple. I'm speaking from experience here, so I know it works very well. I was on the receiving end too.
How much force should one use? That's the part I find difficult to grasp. I'd hate to hurt someone more than necessary. I mean what if I killed them? :phew

Keltoi
05-20-2007, 10:30 AM
How much force should one use? That's the part I find difficult to grasp. I'd hate to hurt someone more than necessary. I mean what if I killed them? :phew
That is sort of hard to answer. Hard to express levels of pressure with a keyboard. I guess I would say hard enough to make sure the only thing your attacker is worried about is breathing again. A straight punch or ridge hand to the throat probably isn't going to kill anybody, although they will feel like they are dying for a minute or two.

Keltoi
05-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I think those really loud siren devices for women are a good thing. That shrieking noise is usually enough to scare attackers away, especially in an urban area.

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 10:45 AM

Kewl thread:p...Adam's apple area...you dont have to hit hard there for the person to feel pain, just try it on yourself now...just merely flick your throat with your finger...:D now imagine somebody punching it straight on:D NICEEE..

It's only the matter of getting your chance to hit that area if you ever have to...a sweet shot in the kidney area or solar plexus, watch them put there head forward and then KPOW catch them on the chin:D watch them fall down like a sack of potatoes:D

:w:

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 10:49 AM

Anyone ever tried nonchakus? lol painful!

These things are awesome:coolious: i've tried them, had them, hit myself, hit myself again....oh and again, gained skill, hit myself again, gained more skill, got hit again...and then they broke:raging: They were made out of cheap wood from what i saw...i wana get metal ones now:p i think i should look for a helmet aswel:p

For one of the best demonstrations on the use of nunchuks/nunchuku watch Bruce Lee use them masterfuly! Sweeeeet

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 11:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
That is sort of hard to answer. Hard to express levels of pressure with a keyboard. I guess I would say hard enough to make sure the only thing your attacker is worried about is breathing again. A straight punch or ridge hand to the throat probably isn't going to kill anybody, although they will feel like they are dying for a minute or two.
Thanks! I kind of understand. It's like not ALL your force but enough to hurt them anyway. I suppose as hard as slapping someone across the face when your angry with them?

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 11:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN

Kewl thread:p...Adam's apple area...you dont have to hit hard there for the person to feel pain, just try it on yourself now...just merely flick your throat with your finger...:D now imagine somebody punching it straight on:D NICEEE..

It's only the matter of getting your chance to hit that area if you ever have to...a sweet shot in the kidney area or solar plexus, watch them put there head forward and then KPOW catch them on the chin:D watch them fall down like a sack of potatoes:D

pfttt! try it on myself? :mad:

What's the solar plex? And are you sure about the kidney area - cuz they're at the back? :confused:

These things are awesome i've tried them, had them, hit myself, hit myself again....oh and again, gained skill, hit myself again, gained more skill, got hit again...and then they broke They were made out of cheap wood from what i saw...i wana get metal ones now i think i should look for a helmet aswel

For one of the best demonstrations on the use of nunchuks/nunchuku watch Bruce Lee use them masterfuly! Sweeeeet
^LOL! I bought some from China Town in Birmingham and while my bro was practicing, the end flew off and nearly hit me on the head. Never buying cheap stuff again! :phew

the Bruce Lee vids are awesome! :thumbs_up

check this one out

BRUCE LEE VS DAN INOSANTO NUNCHAKU FIGHT
http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/1275935/ad...ity_728x90.gif

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 11:23 AM
pfttt! try it on myself? :mad:

What's the solar plex? And are you sure about the kidney area - cuz they're at the back? :confused:

^LOL! I bought some from China Town in Birmingham and while my bro was practicing, the end flew off and nearly hit me on the head. Never buying cheap stuff again! :phew

the Bruce Lee vids are awesome! :thumbs_up

check this one out

BRUCE LEE VS DAN INOSANTO NUNCHAKU FIGHT
http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/1275935/ad...ity_728x90.gif

The vid doesnt work, just comes to a link of youtube users for moi...

Solar plexus from my knowledge is the area just underneath the chest and above the abs, or you could say the region of the first pac, upper abs...I read somewhere a few years ago in a kick/thai boxers book that if you hit hard enough in the solar plexus u can make the other person throw up:X Just make sure you jump back quickly lol

And yes kidney area, because it's difficult to tense those muscles unlike the abs..Hence forth if you get hit there, you will get winded, whereas if you get hit in the abs there is a chance you'll react quickly enough and tense the ab muscles and inshaAllah you'll feel less of an impact when you get hit there, this is why it's is good to train the abdominal region, as the muscles get stronger, they'll become harder, and then you can tell people to hit you there, and you can 'ha didnt hurt' :D

lol Don't try the latter, well unless you live life on the edge:D

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
=H4RUN;742487]:sl:

The vid doesnt work, just comes to a link of youtube users for moi...

Solar plexus from my knowledge is the area just underneath the chest and above the abs, or you could say the region of the first pac, upper abs...I read somewhere a few years ago in a kick/thai boxers book that if you hit hard enough in the solar plexus u can make the other person throw up:X Just make sure you jump back quickly lol
Ahh I get it. It's where the diaphram is. The place you put your hands on when doing the Heimlich manoeuver (when someone's choking).

And yes kidney area, because it's difficult to tense those muscles unlike the abs..Hence forth if you get hit there, you will get winded, whereas if you get hit in the abs there is a chance you'll react quickly enough and tense the ab muscles and inshaAllah you'll feel less of an impact when you get hit there, this is why it's is good to train the abdominal region, as the muscles get stronger, they'll become harder, and then you can tell people to hit you there, and you can 'ha didnt hurt' :D

lol Don't try the latter, well unless you live life on the edge:D
I need to get off this thread for a bit. All this is making me want to go and 'hit' someone just to see the effects. :-[

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Ahh I get it. It's where the diaphram is. The place you put your hands on when doing the Heimlich manoeuver (when someone's choking).

I need to get off this thread for a bit. All this is making me want to go and 'hit' someone just to see the effects. :-[

Yes thats the area, although for some reason i always thought you should hit/push someones back...

You want to his somebody eh, i told you just flick your throat:D, i can imagine someone in a feud trying to constantly flick the other persons ears;D like school children...

Going back to Mr Lee and his nunchaku, theres an awesome scene in the fist of fury where he's up against i think 20+men and eventually he gets his hands on the nunchuks! Cor he was ace...he spins and slithers around on the floor whilst catching all the guys on their ankles, me and my cousin like to refer to that move as the helicopter:p It's on utube, oh and i watched that one you posted sis, maan he does some tasty moves with the chuks! *dribbles*

Spartan
05-20-2007, 12:12 PM
:D Im Martial arts infatuated....Anyone else on here like/love or interested in martial arts?

I love taekwondo, and jujitsu....and lately MMA has drawn my attention. For any Martial Artist out there, what do you guys do for home excerise and to practise and stuff?
Love it and practice it. :D I do freestyle taekwondo and jiujitsu.

http://www.aftataekwondo.com.au/

http://www.lionjujutsu.com/index.htm

Both clubs practice monthly together. :thumbs_up

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 04:32 PM
H4RUN;742509]Yes thats the area, although for some reason i always thought you should hit/push someones back...
nah, the trick is to push the diaphram upward to dislodge the food in their windpipe (if all else fails). That also explains why a blow to that area causes someone to get winded. Lucky you never met anyone needing first aid though lol.

I still need to know why the mind goes blank in a fight. It's like total memory loss. What's going on? :confused:

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 04:49 PM
nah, the trick is to push the diaphram upward to dislodge the food in their windpipe (if all else fails). That also explains why a blow to that area causes someone to get winded. Lucky you never met anyone needing first aid though lol.

I still need to know why the mind goes blank in a fight. It's like total memory loss. What's going on? :confused:

Mind goes blank? I cant recall that happening to me, although one two many blows to the head does indeed get you feeling a little light headed. Actually you can get a weird sensation well not much of a sensation...when your out of breathe, adrenaline running hi and at the same time getting hit...It's mainly the blood rush i think

abu abdurrahman
05-20-2007, 04:54 PM
When attcked:

If you can hit hard enough, then go for the nose- this will disturb his vision AND his breathing which means you can run, fast

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 04:54 PM

Mind goes blank? I cant recall that happening to me, although one two many blows to the head does indeed get you feeling a little light headed. Actually you can get a weird sensation well not much of a sensation...when your out of breathe, adrenaline running hi and at the same time getting hit...It's mainly the blood rush i think
Yeh, it's like total memory loss. Have you heard killers saying they don't remember killing someone? That doesn't have to happen by a blow to the head. I'm asking cuz it happened to me once and I'm scared it might happen again and what if I killed someone and didn't know I was doing it? :phew

It happened in a fight btw.

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu abdurrahman
When attcked:

If you can hit hard enough, then go for the nose- this will disturb his vision AND his breathing which means you can run, fast
absolutley, get hit in the nose and your senses feel a bit odd for a moment, get hit hard enough and you can feel a bit lost for some time. When you cant breathe properly your in a situation...So crack someone on the nose, they'll get a tingling sensation aswel on the nose:p

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Thinking abt it.. I'm kinda getting scared about all this hitting someone business. Someone once told me that if you hit someone on the nose upwards, you can force the broken bone into their brain and kill them. Is that true?

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Well im still alive, i wonder how hard you have to hit to move the bone up, just think about it...Boxers get hit there all day long, i dont think i've seen a bone shaped bump coming out of their heads lol

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 05:14 PM
^lol true.. I do feel bad after hurting someone though

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 05:38 PM
^lol true.. I do feel bad after hurting someone though
Imagine how they would be feeling! I tell you now, after you get hit, adrenaline whiiizes round your body and you just want to snap crack and pop them back lol

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Imagine how they would be feeling! I tell you now, after you get hit, adrenaline whiiizes round your body and you just want to snap crack and pop them back lol
I know tell me abt it.. This racist gori tried to trip me up in the girls toilets once and when I told her to watch it, she slapped me right across the face. From that point everything went blank. I honestly can't remember what I did, where I was or what was happening. The next thing I know is feeling like I'm waking up and becoming aware of the situation. At this point I had her bent over by her hair and was kneeing her in the face. I was backed up right in the corner by the sinks and didn't know how we got there. I started feeling scared that if I let her go now she'll kill me. So I bashed her head into the sink a few times (astaghfirullah) to make sure she wasn't capable of hurting me if I let her go. She wasn't. She was begging me to let her go and by now my strength had gone, so I let her go. The next thing I know she was on the floor picking up her broken gold chains and a guy stood at the toilet entrance clapping and giving me the thumbs up. I feel so evil lol. But I can't recall the time between her slapping me to me 'waking up' and realizing what's going on. See what I mean abt how scary that is. :phew

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I know tell me abt it.. This racist gori tried to trip me up in the girls toilets once and when I told her to watch it, she slapped me right across the face. From that point everything went blank. I honestly can't remember what I did, where I was or what was happening. The next thing I know is feeling like I'm waking up and becoming aware of the situation. At this point I had her bent over by her hair and was kneeing her in the face. I was backed up right in the corner by the sinks and didn't know how we got there. I started feeling scared that if I let her go now she'll kill me. So I bashed her head into the sink a few times (astaghfirullah) to make sure she wasn't capable of hurting me if I let her go. She wasn't. She was begging me to let her go and by now my strength had gone, so I let her go. The next thing I know she was on the floor picking up her broken gold chains and a guy stood at the toilet entrance clapping and giving me the thumbs up. I feel so evil lol. But I can't recall the time between her slapping me to me 'waking up' and realizing what's going on. See what I mean abt how scary that is. :phew

woooooo, i must behave now:X ...Now i can understand your location...this place is only big enough for 1 psycho lol

Oh atleast you can say you tried your bit to kick racism out...quite LITERALLY! Come to think of it you could have caused some serious damage with you being near sinks and stuff, and i presume a tiled floor..

did u turn green by anychance?lol

islamirama
05-20-2007, 08:19 PM
weirdo!!! .... that's what you call "blind" rage :D

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 08:37 PM

woooooo, i must behave now:X ...Now i can understand your location...this place is only big enough for 1 psycho lol

Oh atleast you can say you tried your bit to kick racism out...quite LITERALLY! Come to think of it you could have caused some serious damage with you being near sinks and stuff, and i presume a tiled floor..

did u turn green by anychance?lol
lol u cheeky so & so!!!

seriously, I had to do it cuz she was bigger than me and I was petrified of getting beaten up if I didn't make her weak enuff to lose lol. I hate pain. She wasn't alone either, there were like 6-7 girls with her, who at some point scarpered. maybe I did turn green lolll. Anyway all's fair in love & war. :-\

weirdo!!! .... that's what you call "blind" rage
I am? lol. Is that what it is? Oh man, I didn't know I had it in me :( That's horrible! I feel such a chicken nowadays.

H4RUN
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM

I call that instinctive whoopin' someones behind...At times you'll surprise yourself with what you do when your instincts take over, moreover adrenaline! I dont know how it works but it can do mysterious things! It can make you jump over walls that on a normal day aren't possible when being chased by the police, hoestly, and no i didnt get chased by the police, im not that much of a chav, although there are those who think i am lol..

T'was actually a friend of mine, yes a chav lol...He said to me there was no way he would be able to jump over that wall, but he was being chased by the police, and there was also a BIG dog on the loose in the garden that he was passing by in, and somehow he managed to get over!

Chavs! i tell u chavs!

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 09:16 PM

I call that instinctive whoopin' someones behind...At times you'll surprise yourself with what you do when your instincts take over, moreover adrenaline! I dont know how it works but it can do mysterious things! It can make you jump over walls that on a normal day aren't possible when being chased by the police, hoestly, and no i didnt get chased by the police, im not that much of a chav, although there are those who think i am lol..

T'was actually a friend of mine, yes a chav lol...He said to me there was no way he would be able to jump over that wall, but he was being chased by the police, and there was also a BIG dog on the loose in the garden that he was passing by in, and somehow he managed to get over!

Chavs! i tell u chavs!

That makes me feel a bit better now. You're right it's instinct. The need to survive. And adrenaline as you say. I know what made me do it. It was fear that if I didn't hurt her, then she'd hurt me. But I never wanna experience blind rage again. *shudders*

islamirama
05-20-2007, 10:23 PM

I am? lol. Is that what it is? Oh man, I didn't know I had it in me :( That's horrible! I feel such a chicken nowadays.
natural instincts can do many things. i can make a mother lift a tree 10 men can't lift to save a child, make a person jump out a burning building and live where as normal fall would kill anyone. There was on time on Real TV, in one story, there was mass flood water in the area and there was a helicopter that some how got stuck in the raging river of water. There was like 10 guys trying to live the helicopter to get a guy out that was buried under it and in the water. This big fat guy almost single handedly lifted the helicopter up out the water while the others got the guy out. So we are weak by nature but miracle workers at times of desperation.:thumbs_up

Spartan
05-20-2007, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu abdurrahman
When attcked:

Just on that, the best technique whether you study karate, taekwondo or whatever, is a simple vertical punch to the nose, its fast and will break through a tight defence even if his/her hands are up. If it doesn't go through it means his/her hands are practically in front of his/her eyes in which case a good palm strike to the ears would work well.

Spartan
05-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Remember though that simply throwing 1 punch and expecting the person to go down is not the best strategy, chances are they may have some understanding fighting experience (though very limited) in which case multiple strikes are necessary though do not aim to kill them. I.e nose, ears, solar plexus, shins, knees....and if they have earrings....even better!

Snowflake
05-21-2007, 08:40 AM
natural instincts can do many things. i can make a mother lift a tree 10 men can't lift to save a child, make a person jump out a burning building and live where as normal fall would kill anyone. There was on time on Real TV, in one story, there was mass flood water in the area and there was a helicopter that some how got stuck in the raging river of water. There was like 10 guys trying to live the helicopter to get a guy out that was buried under it and in the water. This big fat guy almost single handedly lifted the helicopter up out the water while the others got the guy out. So we are weak by nature but miracle workers at times of desperation.:thumbs_up
I agree 100%. But then I would - wouldn't I? lol

H4RUN
05-21-2007, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Spartan
Remember though that simply throwing 1 punch and expecting the person to go down is not the best strategy, chances are they may have some understanding fighting experience (though very limited) in which case multiple strikes are necessary though do not aim to kill them. I.e nose, ears, solar plexus, shins, knees....and if they have earrings....even better!
Multiple punchs are needed most times, there are the odd occasions that the one crisp punch or elbow caught on ones chin, ear, solar plexus or nose can make them tumble down right before you.

When they can sense that they see/taste their own blood they go into a situation of panic, this can be either good or bad. Good because they'll sense that they are getting beaten up lol panic, breather hard, lose all sense and you can crack them again....Bad b'cos they could develop the adrenaline rush that will give them that one chance to retaliate, been there and did i retaliate!

So an easy place to bust is the nose, watch blood flowing out, and then throw a 'dummy' punch a bit lower dont actually land it, watch them lower their hands to protect themselves, hence they leave their face open...BIF BAM POW ZAZ KPOW! Batman and Robbin style:D

05-21-2007, 09:18 AM
wowowow MashaaAllah, i never imagined this thread to become so popular SubhanAllah. im so excited to know so many people love martial arts as much as i do. Unfortunatly i havent read thru all the pages yet. So when i get to that InshaaAllah i'll join in on the chat!!:p

But in the meantime i want to know. What should you focus on mostly when you know very well that the person who youre facing is stronger. Not nessesarily(sp?) faster, but undoubtably stronger. How do you take down a person like this? where should your focus be? Because all the things ive read people say so far, they're good but normally a stronger person (sometimes) can endure more pain, which means it takes alot more to bring this person down, whereas in the contary if they hit you just the same you'll go down faster/easier. Anyone have any tips? any personal expriences even prehaps?

Asyur an-Nagi
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
aiki-DO (highschool)
ju jit su, te kwon-DO, and ju-DO (when i was drafted as a field medical officer in the marine force)

an finally...any-will-DO (when i am a dentist:D )

Snowflake
05-21-2007, 10:12 AM
wowowow MashaaAllah, i never imagined this thread to become so popular SubhanAllah. im so excited to know so many people love martial arts as much as i do. Unfortunatly i havent read thru all the pages yet. So when i get to that InshaaAllah i'll join in on the chat!!:p

But in the meantime i want to know. What should you focus on mostly when you know very well that the person who youre facing is stronger. Not nessesarily(sp?) faster, but undoubtably stronger. How do you take down a person like this? where should your focus be? Because all the things ive read people say so far, they're good but normally a stronger person (sometimes) can endure more pain, which means it takes alot more to bring this person down, whereas in the contary if they hit you just the same you'll go down faster/easier. Anyone have any tips? any personal expriences even prehaps?
I don't think it matter if the person is stronger. They can still be just as sensitive to pain as someone weaker. So I guess the same techniques will work just as effectively. Hopefully the better informed bros can give you better advice inshaAllah.

However, if you literally want to knock your opponent off their feet, I do know one trick that works regardless of their size and strength. You gotta be fast though. What you gotta do is hook your leg behind both of theirs and at the same time push them as hard as you can in the chest. This will make even the tallest person go flying backwards if done properly. :thumbs_up

05-21-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't think it matter if the person is stronger. They can still be just as sensitive to pain as someone weaker. So I guess the same techniques will work just as effectively. Hopefully the better informed bros can give you better advice inshaAllah.

However, if you literally want to knock your opponent off their feet, I do know one trick that works regardless of their size and strength. You gotta be fast though. What you gotta do is hook your leg behind both of theirs and at the same time push them as hard as you can in the chest. This will make even the tallest person go flying backwards if done properly. :thumbs_up
prehaps ur right.

and inshaaAllah i shall practise tht inshaaAllah...oh mt step dad :) seeing how hes 6'4 i'd definatly know if size doesnt matter;D

Snowflake
05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
prehaps ur right.

and inshaaAllah i shall practise tht inshaaAllah...oh mt step dad :) seeing how hes 6'4 i'd definatly know if size doesnt matter;D
;D

lemme know how it goes.. can't wait :p

just make sure when you hook your leg behind his, do it behind his knees making them bend. So knees go forward, upper body goes back and person (or step dad in your case) goes flying backwards. Lol, make sure he has a soft landing. :giggling:

and make sure he doesn't grab you while falling and... hahahaha :p

H4RUN
05-21-2007, 11:39 AM

yep a simple leg sweep can work, but realistically if you aint trained, you will be leaving your face open for attack...Even still a sweep from behind can also be affective...Another thing, once you hit someone, eventually their legs will go weak, and can end up like spaghetti hence they fall over, therefore they are prone to be feeling a bit out of line if you hit them sweetly on the face, and then it wont take too many more blows to drop them:D

This is why boxers and thai boxers train their legs alot especially the thai dudes for obvious reasons[they use legs to attack:p], for the reason that they do usually get hit quite a bit, and they are bound to get hit sweetly at some time or another, do stronger legs just helps them to keep balance and upright.

FiamanaAllah

05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
interesting thread :p

i've always been martial-arts-crazy but at the moment not doing any :(

We've been looking for a female instructor for taekwando but we can't find one anywhere :mmokay:

Snowflake
05-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Where r u if you don't mind me asking sis?

Btw, punchbags are expensive so does anyone know how to make one at home? What would you put in it? And how much should it weigh? Please don't say put bricks in it.

05-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I mainly did kick-boxing and i really enjoyed it.. I reached about the fourth belt and won the trophy :statisfie but...! I had to leave :cry:

That class isn't available anymore and we've been looking for taekwando recently but to no avail :(

What about you sis?

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 12:22 PM

When i was in my teens i was heavily into martial arts (kung fu, jeet quan do)but then i changed my mantra to violence never solves anything and i have never looked back :thumbs_up

05-21-2007, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rose_Ice
interesting thread :p

i've always been martial-arts-crazy but at the moment not doing any :(

We've been looking for a female instructor for taekwando but we can't find one anywhere :mmokay:
I feel you on this one. Over here its the same thing. All the teachers are male. And even it seems all the qualified students are male. Go figure.

05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
;D

lemme know how it goes.. can't wait :p

just make sure when you hook your leg behind his, do it behind his knees making them bend. So knees go forward, upper body goes back and person (or step dad in your case) goes flying backwards. Lol, make sure he has a soft landing. :giggling:

and make sure he doesn't grab you while falling and... hahahaha :p
:giggling:

he'll be alright :rollseyes I hope:D

I'll be sure to let you know what happens inshaaAllah ( if he even agrees) :peace:

05-21-2007, 12:37 PM
When i was in my teens i was heavily into martial arts (kung fu, jeet quan do)but then i changed my mantra to violence never solves anything and i have never looked back
neither does getting beaten up - its all just self defence :)

I feel you on this one. Over here its the same thing. All the teachers are male. And even it seems all the qualified students are male. Go figure.
*sigh* May Allah teach us self defence so that we may carry out the fard on every muslim to defend his wealth, his family and his property... Amin!! :p

05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
*sigh* May Allah teach us self defence so that we may carry out the fard on every muslim to defend his wealth, his family and his property... Amin!! :p
Ameen! And martial arts is so much more than 'fighting' only the one who only knows a little thinks that way. Even if you only learn Martial arts for self defense they never teach you 'violence' its always self benefit and fighting is ALWAYS the last result. So anyone who claims that Martial arts is violence has clearly never practised Martial Arts in truth.

But hay sis, are you only into TKD? or do you have any other style you like?

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
neither does getting beaten up - its all just self defence :)

*sigh* May Allah teach us self defence so that we may carry out the fard on every muslim to defend his wealth, his family and his property... Amin!!

Rose_ice, I was walking through a park once and somebody said give me you wallet know or i'll stab you. I gave him my wallet and he went away. Phoned the bank to cancel all my cards and ordered new ones. I never ever carry cash. simple.

Somebody walked up to me and said i want to fight you. My reply, sorry sir you look to powerful for a weak individual like me, please take mercy on me. His reply, oh yeah i am ok you can go.

Walking down the road, saw a bunch of hooded youth on my side of the pavement, i crossed the road. They crossed the road and said - "oi why did you cross the road, you don't like walking near black people?" He had a knife. My reply, "i love black people your music art etc. I simply crossed the road to give you more room. Forgive my arrogance. Let me buy you all a coffee and perhaps we can discuss your beautiful culture." his reply " oh no problem m8 bye"

Violence never solves anything :thumbs_up

05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
^yep exactly it is self defence

There are others i like but they seem very rare and i havent come close to finding any classes... what about you what do you like and which martial arts have you done?

05-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Rose_ice, I was walking through a park once and somebody said give me you wallet know or i'll stab you. I gave him my wallet and he went away. Phoned the bank to cancel all my cards and ordered new ones. I never ever carry cash. simple.

Somebody walked up to me and said i want to fight you. My reply, sorry sir you look to powerful for a weak individual like me, please take mercy on me. His reply, oh yeah i am ok you can go.

Walking down the road, saw a bunch of hooded youth on my side of the pavement, i crossed the road. They crossed the road and said - "oi why did you cross the road, you don't like walking near black people?" He had a knife. My reply, "i love black people your music art etc. I simply crossed the road to give you more room. Forgive my arrogance. Let me buy you all a coffee and perhaps we can discuss your beautiful culture." his reply " oh no problem m8 bye"

Violence never solves anything
Yes that is true but sometimes people don't give you a chance to say 'no'
There are all kinds of people in todays world and we should know how to defend ourselves against them

Also in a hadith hadhrat Umar (ra) said that we should teach our children swimming, archery and horseriding

:peace:

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes that is true but sometimes people don't give you a chance to say 'no'
There are all kinds of people in todays world and we should know how to defend ourselves against them

Also in a hadith hadhrat Umar (ra) said that we should teach our children swimming, archery and horseriding

Agreed :thumbs_up

Jazakhllah Khair for sharing the hadith sister. :thumbs_up

I personally think words can be just as sharp as a blade. :statisfie

05-21-2007, 01:03 PM
^yep exactly it is self defence

There are others i like but they seem very rare and i havent come close to finding any classes... what about you what do you like and which martial arts have you done?
i havent practised any except TKD. but i like MMA ( mixed martial arts) alot. *PRIDE RULES:p* erm, yeah and i like jiu jitsu and ninjitsu.

EDIT: oh and i bascially like any martial arts that can send you soaring thur the air like a birdy lol...i see some martial artist mashaaAllah their bodies become like jello, and they can move twist and flip any which way i love to watch that.

05-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh can you tell me about ninjitsu and jujitsu.. what do they involve? :)

05-21-2007, 01:14 PM
juijitsu in my humble opinon is alot like taekwondo tho it seems more skilled and concentrated, AT times! but i think the two of them pretty much are alike....( anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong or mistaken)

ninjitsu i dont know much about i only saw a few videos on it and thought it looked pretty cool. And besides that their uniforms ROCK!:D

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Ninjitsu is the deadly art of assassination. Ideal for a ninjabi :statisfie

Jujitsu i think its more to do with throwing and overcoming the victim . :thumbs_up

05-21-2007, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000

Ninjitsu is the deadly art of assassination. Ideal for a ninjabi :statisfie

Jujitsu i think its more to do with throwing and overcoming the victim . :thumbs_up

who or what is a ninjabi?

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 01:21 PM
who or what is a ninjabi?

Lets not fall out over this one lol. A ninjabi is a nickname given to a muslim women who wears the full vale etc and practices the deadly art of ninjitsu. It's not my term! was in the newspapers and i believe their is a thread on this forum :statisfie

05-21-2007, 01:24 PM
coolness. Never heard of it, i dont even know much about ninjitsu sides' the fact that in all i movies i use to watch they were the bad slient killers running on rooftops

IbnAbdulHakim
05-21-2007, 01:25 PM
taek won do is probably the most fun, you get to jump around all over the place like crazy :D doing somersaults and splits and kicking *EHHEM* :D

05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
taek won do is probably the most fun, you get to jump around all over the place like crazy :D doing somersaults and splits and kicking *EHHEM* :D
hehe i know! i love it so much. Do you practise any Art? or just which one is your favorite?

05-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Anyone care to post up their favorite martial arts video? Telling the people what Art it is too inshaaAllah?

islamirama
05-21-2007, 01:36 PM
coolness. Never heard of it, i dont even know much about ninjitsu sides' the fact that in all i movies i use to watch they were the bad slient killers running on rooftops
Ninjitsu, the art of ninja. They are trainted in almost all weapons of fighting, medicine, chemicals, and many other traits. They are your assassins of an old era. They secrete is stealth and invincibility. They never stay at one place, where ever they go to do their job they live by blending in, never doing the same job everyday, carpenter one day, blacksmith another, and so forth. It takes years to master it fully and towards later years they start to practice black magic to deal with "spirits".

shinobi is another name for it...

Ninja Gaiden - Very good and hard game for NES
Shinobi - Very good and entertaining game for Sega

:D

05-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Ninjitsu, the art of ninja. They are trainted in almost all weapons of fighting, medicine, chemicals, and many other traits. They are your assassins of an old era. They secrete is stealth and invincibility. They never stay at one place, where ever they go to do their job they live by blending in, never doing the same job everyday, carpenter one day, blacksmith another, and so forth. It takes years to master it fully and towards later years they start to practice black magic to deal with "spirits".

shinobi is another name for it...

Ninja Gaiden - Very good and hard game for NES
Shinobi - Very good and entertaining game for Sega

:omg: and on that! note, i dont believe i like ninjitsu anymore :rollseyes

But you said "They are your assassins of an old era". Does that mean the modren ninjas dont practise it this way anymore? or is it still the same?

islamirama
05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Ninjabis in britain :)

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...ight-back.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...o-ninja-3.html

:omg: and on that! note, i dont believe i like ninjitsu anymore :rollseyes

But you said "They are your assassins of an old era". Does that mean the modren ninjas dont practise it this way anymore? or is it still the same?
Modern ninjas don't aren't assassins as much unless you go to the traditional places like old china towns and what not. You may still have them here as well but bit more blended in and modern looking then all cloaked and mysterious. I don't think most people are that serious about this art to go as far as the old ones did. And the black magic comes later in life when you like close to retire, like past middle age or in old age.

It's great for fighters but not your avg people who have a normal life. Samurai are great as they learn to fight with honor and bravey more than sneaking and deception. Think of ninjas as the snipers and samurais as the special unit task forces of today.

Jujitsu is another form that Batman is famously known for (and ninjitsu). Jujitsu mainly deals with joint locks and grips. It's great for anyone that tries to grab you or come close to you, you can give them enough pain easily for them to not even think twice about coming near you. But jeet kune do (invented by bruce lee) is great for close range fight, especially the type where you are being mugged or about to be molested.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-21-2007, 02:02 PM
hehe i know! i love it so much. Do you practise any Art? or just which one is your favorite?
i use to be a taekwondo addict when i was younger lol now i just stick to boxing

------
05-21-2007, 02:43 PM
:salamext:

Its more of a guy thing though init? Boxing, Martial arts, etc....

Spartan
05-21-2007, 02:49 PM

A stronger i.e physically bigger, taller muscular person will generally take more punishment as they have that extra padding. I know myself because I used to be about 69 kg and after going to the gym about a year I reached 77 kg and hits and/or hits to parts of the body that were not sensitive were not as painful as before. Try ripping a massive Tongan in the guts for example and hell laugh at you. So in the end it would be a matter of quickly wearing him down with a number of attacks aimed for maximum damage, as mentioned before nose, ears, solar plexus, groin e.t.c Joint breaking is a perfect way to disable a large person. No matter how much muscle you have you cannot strengthen joints. as there is no muscle where joint is. You can strengthen tendons and ligaments but not to the point were a full force arm lock won't work. Another tried and tested technnique in our martial arts school is a finger inserted just below the adams apple in a gap between the collarbone and the windpipe. If it can be done as it may prove difficult for some people to locate while trying to fend off an attacker, it can cause extreme discomfort and panic, so much so that the attacker will have No choice but to step back from you if you manage to hit the spot with a knife hand strike it will cause difficulty breathing but will not be fatal unlike a strike to the adams apple. :thumbs_up

Spartan
05-21-2007, 02:50 PM
A stronger i.e physically bigger, taller muscular person will generally take more punishment as they have that extra padding. I know myself because I used to be about 69 kg and after going to the gym about a year I reached 77 kg and hits and/or hits to parts of the body that were not sensitive were not as painful as before. Try ripping a massive Tongan in the guts for example and hell laugh at you. So in the end it would be a matter of quickly wearing him down with a number of attacks aimed for maximum damage, as mentioned before nose, ears, solar plexus, groin e.t.c Joint breaking is a perfect way to disable a large person. No matter how much muscle you have you cannot strengthen joints. as there is no muscle where joint is. You can strengthen tendons and ligaments but not to the point were a full force arm lock won't work. Another tried and tested technnique in our martial arts school is a finger inserted just below the adams apple in a gap between the collarbone and the windpipe. If it can be done as it may prove difficult for some people to locate while trying to fend off an attacker, it can cause extreme discomfort and panic, so much so that the attacker will have No choice but to step back from you if you manage to hit the spot with a knife hand strike it will cause difficulty breathing but will not be fatal unlike a strike to the adams apple. :thumbs_up
actually it was meant to be a SPEAR HAND strike not a knif hand strike.

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM

.:Umniyah:. :

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...ight-back.html

H4RUN
05-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Where r u if you don't mind me asking sis?

Btw, punchbags are expensive so does anyone know how to make one at home? What would you put in it? And how much should it weigh? Please don't say put bricks in it.

Yep some can cost quite a bit, but any old ragged one will do for starters:) So long as it's not torn, because then you'll have to tape it up, and basically do punch bag surgery on it lol. I think best bet is to look for a used one on ebay, you dont want one thats too heavy, i'd recommend the heavy ones for bigger people, who have quite a bit of strength and stamina. If it's too heavy for you, it may feel like punchin' a wall, too light and i dont know about anyone else but it cheeses me off a tad when you have to wait for the bag after it flys back and forth....

Personaly i like using one that is slightly weighted and controled, or sis you could always wear a pair of oven gloves and start punching the chappati flour bag:D

One Man Army
05-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Gurfateh

I bin learning thai boxing for some time, as well as shastar vidiya-which is an ancient weaponary fighting system, which many chinese and japanese systems stemed off from. It is a system which is imbedded into the sikh way of life, and is a must for evry practicing sikh, as order of the 10th Guru, Guru Gobind Singh jee. Any one wants videos of this, let me knw.

H4RUN
05-21-2007, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ultimate truth
Gurfateh

I bin learning thai boxing for some time, as well as shastar vidiya-which is an ancient weaponary fighting system, which many chinese and japanese systems stemed off from. It is a system which is imbedded into the sikh way of life, and is a must for evry practicing sikh, as order of the 10th Guru, Guru Gobind Singh jee. Any one wants videos of this, let me knw.
Muay thai is top notch so long as you get taught to move around as boxers are taught, which is why i left it. So does that mean all of the proper practicin' Sikh's are accomplished in martial arts? Only used with weapons or can it be just the fists elbows and legs?

islamirama
05-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Gurfateh

that is interesting know, i would like to know more about these videos if you don't mind :)

One Man Army
05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
shastar vidiya was the main system of bak in the day. they say it originates from the old hindu prophets, which is 1000s of years old. however alot of the system has been lost over the years. even the mughal armies where taught with this system. however, Guru Sahib made it a compulsion for evry sikh to practice, it is a deadly combination with spirituallity, meditation. Guru Sahib knew the power that could be developed between the two, and created a system for war, which allowed one man to fite against thousands. history also records this. in india, and parts of punjab, there are the sikhs known as nihang sikhs. they fully practice the martial way of life, and have alot of the original shastar vidiya. however, in UK we are mainly taught weaponary, tulwars, khanda (double edged sword), spears, lathis (staff) etc. il post a mix tape made by some guys in canada. ignor the music. the starting of the video is movement done in order to prepare mentally before piking up the weapon. it get agility, and basic footwork ready. Once the shastar (weapon) is piked up, it is used in accordance to full body movement. it allows the 10th Gurus battle system to be put into practice, that a sikh will never do a cheap shot, and attack from behind, and will never initiate the attack, even on the battle field. there are account from mughal generals that state the beauty of Guru Sahibs army, that there where sikhs on the battle field that where even bandaging, and giving water to the wounded "enemy". The art is incorperated into the first principle of sikhi, compassion. Sikhs have no enemies, however when all peacefull means of restoring justice have failed, it is lawful to draw the sword, as spoken by the 10th master. both practicing sikh men and women practice this art. rite to the video. by the way, there is tons which i havent wrote about, and forgive me if i have gon on a tangent!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d4Ro_9pNkp4

http://www.gurmatstudies.com/gatkaon...apevolume2.wmv

The second links quite good.

islamirama
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks dude, i'll check that out when i get off work. It seems sikhism has lot in common with Islam. If i'm not wrong i've heard that the original sikh, or the guru father of all sikh was himself either Muslim or very inspired by Islamic principles.

One Man Army
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
na Guru Nanak jees dad was a hindu, but 2 begin with, he was very anti religion, he wanted Guru Sahib to become a business man, but mahraaj had a different purpose to his life. There are many principles Sikhi has that is common in many religions, Sikhi is generally based around principles of humanity, whether ur religious or not, theirs always something to gain. this is the outlook sikhs should have in everyone else aswel, not look for bad, but look for good in everything. There are muslim people who where very close companians of the Gurus, and even some teachings of muslim sheiks have been included by the Gurus in the Guru Granth Sahib jee. This was a very clever thing done by the Gurus, as it promotes equality of the human race, no matter what you belong to.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Salamualikum.
Chiiiii Chawwwwwwwwwwwww Chingggggggg *Martialaw* is the best but can't bean 'Chineese blud'

PINK BELT

Ma'assalama

One Man Army
05-21-2007, 09:06 PM
shorter version of second video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9C54ie5mC...elated&search=

05-21-2007, 10:47 PM

Wow MashaaAllah this helped me out alot MashaaAllah. thanks :thumbs_up
You know what else i wanted to learn...how to take a weapon from a person. Anyone know any vids to show you this?

05-21-2007, 11:12 PM

Yep some can cost quite a bit, but any old ragged one will do for starters:) So long as it's not torn, because then you'll have to tape it up, and basically do punch bag surgery on it lol. I think best bet is to look for a used one on ebay, you dont want one thats too heavy, i'd recommend the heavy ones for bigger people, who have quite a bit of strength and stamina. If it's too heavy for you, it may feel like punchin' a wall, too light and i dont know about anyone else but it cheeses me off a tad when you have to wait for the bag after it flys back and forth....

Personaly i like using one that is slightly weighted and controled, or sis you could always wear a pair of oven gloves and start punching the chappati flour bag:D

If you dont mind brother could you show me a good deal on one on ebay? because i have no exprience in whats a good buy or good brand in punching bags. Im a newbie so i dont know what pound or anything like that either.

05-22-2007, 04:51 AM
I made me a punching bag:p lol well i filled my pillow case with a bunch of sheets and stuff and hung it up and practised lol

islamirama
05-22-2007, 05:14 AM
I made me a punching bag:p lol well i filled my pillow case with a bunch of sheets and stuff and hung it up and practised lol
not good enough. The idea of a punching back is to build strength. one normal punch on that bag would mean one hard punch on a person, who is softer than the bag. You would do better to start on the rice or flour bag :)

05-22-2007, 11:17 AM
not good enough. The idea of a punching back is to build strength. one normal punch on that bag would mean one hard punch on a person, who is softer than the bag. You would do better to start on the rice or flour bag :)
:blind: yea i kindda figured its too soft. but ummi says im not wastin her food:(

IbnAbdulHakim
05-22-2007, 11:30 AM
:blind: yea i kindda figured its too soft. but ummi says im not wastin her food:(
just punch it when she aint looking lol, whos to say it wont taste better that way!

Note: was a joke, dont disobey mums!!!!

islamirama
05-22-2007, 02:07 PM
unless you got tomboy attributes, i don't think your little punches can punch any holes and waste food :D

another good idea then is the good old traditional chinese ways. Either find a pouch to fill with water and punch that, or fill a bucket of water and squat over it then punch into the bucket. Normally chinese have a few tile bricks in the bottom of the bucket, the idea is to punch thru the water and break those tiles. It helps build streangth and force in your strikes :)

H4RUN
05-22-2007, 06:32 PM
If you dont mind brother could you show me a good deal on one on ebay? because i have no exprience in whats a good buy or good brand in punching bags. Im a newbie so i dont know what pound or anything like that either.

I haven't looked for a bag in some time now, but just came across a few...

This one is the longer ones, ideal for kickboxers, muay thai etc oh and ofcourse boxing...theres no mention of weight, but it looks pretty decent in weight...this should make u tired quik:D and going at a tenner http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBE-Punch-Bag_...QQcmdZViewItem

and now for another cheapy, very cheap and cheerful, this looks pretty light, a bit light for my liking but all good for the sisters:Dhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Punch-bag-and-...QQcmdZViewItem

both nice and used lol

islamirama
05-22-2007, 07:26 PM
I think i'll join Japan karate association in here locally :)

Practices are generally broken down into three parts: kihon, kata, and kumite.

Kihon consists of basic techniques. This includes punches, kicks, strikes, and stances. Here, the practitioner learns how to properly perform the techniques that make up Shotokan karate.

Kata are pre-arranged forms. They take what a student has learned in kihon and put it together into a routine where a student performs the movements against imaginary opponents. The kata get more difficult and involved as a student progresses through rank. The kata originated in Okinawa and have been passed down and changed through the generations.

Kumite is sparring done with a partner. Sparring ranges, depending on skill level, from pre-arranged basic three-point sparring to the more advanced free sparring. As well as practicing with the rest of the class, beginners are given time individually with senior students. It will take a beginner at least 3 months to get the first orange belt, after which each progressive rank will take a bit longer. It can take at least 4 years of continuous training to get the first black belt, but most likely takes longer.

H4RUN
05-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I think i'll join Japan karate association in here locally :)

Practices are generally broken down into three parts: kihon, kata, and kumite.

Kihon consists of basic techniques. This includes punches, kicks, strikes, and stances. Here, the practitioner learns how to properly perform the techniques that make up Shotokan karate.

Kata are pre-arranged forms. They take what a student has learned in kihon and put it together into a routine where a student performs the movements against imaginary opponents. The kata get more difficult and involved as a student progresses through rank. The kata originated in Okinawa and have been passed down and changed through the generations.

Kumite is sparring done with a partner. Sparring ranges, depending on skill level, from pre-arranged basic three-point sparring to the more advanced free sparring. As well as practicing with the rest of the class, beginners are given time individually with senior students. It will take a beginner at least 3 months to get the first orange belt, after which each progressive rank will take a bit longer. It can take at least 4 years of continuous training to get the first black belt, but most likely takes longer.

Done a bit of karate back in the day, not too keen on it now, feel as though it's not really for the streets if you ever need to use it, i mean generally speaking fights are over within seconds, and i doub very much you'll be going through the kata when your getting the 7 shades beaten out of you..and it takes alot of time and patience to master, so 'nuf respect to whoever is accomplished at karate...

Oh and bro or anyone else with proper karate experience, could you clear a lil something for me.. Are you allowed to hit the opponents face whilst sparring?

Peace b unto u all

One Man Army
05-22-2007, 08:14 PM
n e 1 eva dne sm kali, or escreema? i did these for bout a yr, links in very well to Shastar vidiya for close range combat. Also did a yr of eagle claw kung fu, n bits of JKD. dnt fink for short run results, for street, thai boxing can be beaten thou.

H4RUN
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
n e 1 eva dne sm kali, or escreema? i did these for bout a yr, links in very well to Shastar vidiya for close range combat. Also did a yr of eagle claw kung fu, n bits of JKD. dnt fink for short run results, for street, thai boxing can be beaten thou.
Yes but you gotta understand that people are taking interest in some sort of combat for the reason taht they want to be and feel safe..

How many people actually go into competitions and so forth? The majority just learn it beacause one day they might have to utilise their skills, and they certainly aint gonna be doing this when theyre just casually walking in a deserted place...

It will mainly be a benefit for everyday life ie the streets, and for the streets in reality you dont need to know too much of this and that, like kata in karate, takes lot of time, u might just get mugg'd a few times in the years to which u think your skills are developed enough for you to tackle the muggers...

So in that sense, thinking for tomorrow rather than next year is more along what im thinking, know wat i mean.

And about thai boxin' being beaten, yeh corse mate, anything can be beaten. Thats why there's something called MMA and the UFC style, which is MMA in a way, All mixed, you do what is best for you from all the various different forms of combat, which goes back to the way how Bruce Lee thought and created JKD.

05-23-2007, 02:45 AM
unless you got tomboy attributes, i don't think your little punches can punch any holes and waste food :D

another good idea then is the good old traditional chinese ways. Either find a pouch to fill with water and punch that, or fill a bucket of water and squat over it then punch into the bucket. Normally chinese have a few tile bricks in the bottom of the bucket, the idea is to punch thru the water and break those tiles. It helps build streangth and force in your strikes :)
lol i have more strenght than i should for a girl. I onced punched my cousin in the chest for pushing me in the pool with all my clothes on and he couldnt breathe:p and before i became Muslim i use to fight alot of boys because the girls were too soft lol hilarious when i think about it now.:D

and the water thing i shall try...minus the bricks however, i kindda like my hands...in ONE piece;D

05-23-2007, 02:52 AM

I haven't looked for a bag in some time now, but just came across a few...

This one is the longer ones, ideal for kickboxers, muay thai etc oh and ofcourse boxing...theres no mention of weight, but it looks pretty decent in weight...this should make u tired quik:D and going at a tenner http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBE-Punch-Bag_...QQcmdZViewItem

and now for another cheapy, very cheap and cheerful, this looks pretty light, a bit light for my liking but all good for the sisters:Dhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Punch-bag-and-...QQcmdZViewItem

both nice and used lol
:mmokay: go figure both those bags have been sold. But JazakAllahu khair bro because now i know what to look for InshaaAllah if and when i buy one i'll be sure to take pics and show InshaaAllah.

H4RUN
05-23-2007, 09:25 AM
:mmokay: go figure both those bags have been sold. But JazakAllahu khair bro because now i know what to look for InshaaAllah if and when i buy one i'll be sure to take pics and show InshaaAllah.

;D yeah i guess they were sold before you saw them:p

One Man Army
05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
yeh i agree, thats why im saying that from the martial arts iv done, i feel thai boxing is the best for immediate results, and its practial and effective. i gained more from thai boxing in a year, then any of the others i have done in the same amount of time.

islamirama
05-23-2007, 01:38 PM
lol i have more strenght than i should for a girl. I onced punched my cousin in the chest for pushing me in the pool with all my clothes on and he couldnt breathe:p and before i became Muslim i use to fight alot of boys because the girls were too soft lol hilarious when i think about it now.:D

and the water thing i shall try...minus the bricks however, i kindda like my hands...in ONE piece;D

so you are a tomboy then! :p

And its no fun without the tile bricks in the water. don't chicken out now :D

Akil
05-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I am disappointed no one mentioned silat. I even heard there is a form of Shing-I Quan that is practiced only by Muslims. Does anyone know anything about the Muslim warrior arts?

islamirama
05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
here's one that seems good for the ladies...

Aikido is a system of self defense based on relaxed coordination of mind and body, rather than strength. Although its primary aim is protection against physical attacks, the philosophy and technique of aikido can also be used to help deflect the stresses and strains of everyday life. At its gentlest, aikido helps you remain calm while having a pile of work to do; at its most strenuous, aikido is the art of dancing with a partner who is trying to kill you.

H4RUN
05-23-2007, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Akil
I am disappointed no one mentioned silat. I even heard there is a form of Shing-I Quan that is practiced only by Muslims. Does anyone know anything about the Muslim warrior arts?

As a matter of fact i was thinking about mentioning that a few days ago, but i know very little about it, and have not seen it nor trained it...Just heard through my mate, who does this 'islamic martial art' as he put it...

I remember asking him what do i need to bring with me if i come? Mits? Hand wraps and boxing gloves...his reply was, we Muslims should be strong, we dont need any of that....YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN MATE!

I've already got a very vulnerable knuckle or two after i tried re-act what i saw on tv on how to hit harder than normal...Swing the arm continuously and then throw the punch...I tried it on a very light leather padded seat in the gym, well i didnt know it was light padded until i hit it :p..I was jumping aorund like a kangaroo after i cracked it, oh yeh and it felt as if i cracked my hand aswel! I then thought i'd look again at the seat to see why it hurt so much...It was pure wood and metal under the VERY light padding:blind: :skeleton:

05-24-2007, 12:04 AM
here's one that seems good for the ladies...

Aikido is a system of self defense based on relaxed coordination of mind and body, rather than strength. Although its primary aim is protection against physical attacks, the philosophy and technique of aikido can also be used to help deflect the stresses and strains of everyday life. At its gentlest, aikido helps you remain calm while having a pile of work to do; at its most strenuous, aikido is the art of dancing with a partner who is trying to kill you.
lol i refuse to take aikido:p toooooo soft!...im into all out action!!! screw tht mind body and soul stuff:p ;D no offense to anyone who take aikido...its just not my thing. TKD and MMA all the way! oh and thia boxing, and shoalin ( although shoalin is entirly to 'patient' for me , i dont like how they mostly fight defensivly rather than offensivly *shrug*)

islamirama
05-24-2007, 02:57 PM
lol i refuse to take aikido:p toooooo soft!...im into all out action!!! screw tht mind body and soul stuff:p ;D no offense to anyone who take aikido...its just not my thing. TKD and MMA all the way! oh and thia boxing, and shoalin ( although shoalin is entirly to 'patient' for me , i dont like how they mostly fight defensivly rather than offensivly *shrug*)
First i was like nah, akhido ain't for me. but now that i think about it, i wouldn't mind taking it. It uses the oppenent's energy against him requireing you to use minimal amount of strenght and energy yourself. It's great thing to learn if your lazy or don't feel like doing too much action but still kick some butt:D

05-24-2007, 06:17 PM
First i was like nah, akhido ain't for me. but now that i think about it, i wouldn't mind taking it. It uses the oppenent's energy against him requireing you to use minimal amount of strenght and energy yourself. It's great thing to learn if your lazy or don't feel like doing too much action but still kick some butt:D
;D well go for it. but when you get knocked down because the other person isnt lazy at all, or soft at all. Dont start cying now!:p

Idris
05-24-2007, 06:22 PM
I used to do Wing Chung Kung Fu but I got too busy... Very good tho

H4RUN
05-24-2007, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Idris
I used to do Wing Chung Kung Fu but I got too busy... Very good tho

yeah this bruv does that or atleast used to do that before, he thinks no mans an obstacle for him;D I do admire the way he kicks the bag, and when u ask him something he says, wait i am training cant u see:p

islamirama
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
;D well go for it. but when you get knocked down because the other person isnt lazy at all, or soft at all. Dont start cying now!:p

i could run like the wind in my days :D , sure miss that stamina :laugh:

05-24-2007, 08:12 PM

yeah this bruv does that or atleast used to do that before, he thinks no mans an obstacle for him;D I do admire the way he kicks the bag, and when u ask him something he says, wait i am training cant u see:p

lol and what do you guys normally say? "yes brother sorry wont happen again" ;D

whats this kind of kung fu anyway? whats it like?

05-24-2007, 08:14 PM
i could run like the wind in my days :D , sure miss that stamina :laugh:
;D;D;D

Well seeing how you cant "run" like that anymore, whats option B? and you better have a plan B:X

H4RUN
05-24-2007, 08:17 PM
I should have added 'wait cant u see im trainin *Roundhouse kick on the bag* lol thing was he works there, so we were xpected to ask for things...i dunno wat kind this kung fu is, i guess the bro could explain a few more details on wing chun..

From the kicks that i saw, it was similar to what we done at muay thai boxin and kick boxing

05-25-2007, 02:19 AM
I should have added 'wait cant u see im trainin *Roundhouse kick on the bag* lol thing was he works there, so we were xpected to ask for things...i dunno wat kind this kung fu is, i guess the bro could explain a few more details on wing chun..

From the kicks that i saw, it was similar to what we done at muay thai boxin and kick boxing
haha. i know people like that.

islamirama
05-25-2007, 04:19 AM
;D;D;D

Well seeing how you cant "run" like that anymore, whats option B? and you better have a plan B:X

well when your young and canines are out get a bite out of you, all you can do is run. I probably could try out for marathons in those days. As for now, don't need to run. I can take hits and still stand my ground, not that it'll come to that inshallah, i already know the vitals to take a man down, paralyze him, or even kill him :D

05-25-2007, 11:36 AM
well when your young and canines are out get a bite out of you, all you can do is run. I probably could try out for marathons in those days. As for now, don't need to run. I can take hits and still stand my ground, not that it'll come to that inshallah, i already know the vitals to take a man down, paralyze him, or even kill him :D
woot! youre a lethal weapon. show me show me :giggling:

syilla
05-25-2007, 11:42 AM

South east asia has their own martial arts too...

for example "silat"

History
The beginning of formulized martial arts in Southeast Asia can be traced back to India and China. Traders and settlers from both lands have long been living in the region and provided the basis for local culture, including martial arts. The impact that Indian martial arts had on silat evident from the use of silambam staffs and the thigh-slapping found in many forms of silat which is reminiscent of Hindu wrestling for example. Even silat's animal styles are derived from those of India. Additionally, bas-reliefs in Srivijaya which clearly illustrate warriors wielding weapons such as the Chinese double-edged sword also suggest a strong Chinese influence.

With the rise of Malay civilizations, combat became more advanced and silat was institutionalized. There are a number of legends of how this happened but only one has any historical significance. The story tells of a Sumatran woman who witnessed a fight between a tiger and a very large bird while fetching water from a well. Both animals, unfortunately, died in the fight. The woman's angry husband came to scold her for her tardiness but she blocked all of his attacks, remembering the movements of the fighting animals that she saw earlier. The couple later formulized the art and founded the first style of silat. However true this story is, archeological evidence shows that silat was indeed created in the Sumatra-based empire of Srivijaya and flourished after it spread to Java.

Java was home to the Mataram Kingdom and, together with Srivijaya, was an important centre for education and religion, particularly Hinduism and Buddhism. It attracted monks and learned men from various parts of South-East Asia. This allowed silat to influence and be influenced by other styles from nearby countries such as Krabi Krabong from Thailand and Banshay from Myanmar. Trade with Okinawa also brought about the similarities between silat and karate as well as various Japanese weapon-arts like tessenjutsu and bojutsu.

By the early 1300s, silat was already highly refined, much like its present form. After Dutch colonization, silat was brought to Netherlands by Indonesian immigrants. From there it spread to other parts of Europe to eventually become as popular as it is today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silat

05-25-2007, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

South east asia has their own martial arts too...

for example "silat"

I know silat. But i think silat is too 'danty' . it reminds me of dancing more than fighting. I wouldnt take a person doing silat serious. *shrug* its pretty tho. or maybe its different forms i havent seen...:?

syilla
05-25-2007, 11:53 AM
^^^lol at danty...

there is another one...which we called it "TOMOI'

Tomoi shares the common history of the various Southeast Asian forms of kickboxing which were based on Chinese techniques with some Indian influence. It is not known exactly when Tomoi was first practiced, but it is most widely practiced in northern Malaysia along the Thai border. The Terengganu state traded extensively with Angkor and was captured by Siam in the early 1800s. Tomoi was probably brought into what is now Malaysia long before this time since northern states like Kelantan have always been home to ethnic Thais. Even before British colonization it was a popular pastime among not only Thais but Malays, Chinese and Indians as well. It remained so until 1990 when the Kelantan government under the administration of PAS banned a number of traditional arts including Malay attire, dances and tomoi along with them. In late 2006 the ban was abolished and the art was again allowed to be practiced under the proposed name name of "Muay Kelate". The preferred name used by promoters is freestyle kickboxing while those from outside Kelantan often just call it Muay Thai.

source

cover your eyes...but that is the Uniform...

05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
^^^lol at danty...

source

ohhhhh tomoi! i know this. but by its other name at the bottom muay thai. I LIKE this. MashaaAllah.

and lol at 'cover your eyes' you have to do that alot in 'boxing' no matter what form now a days, i dont know whats their issue with not having on clothes.:enough!:

Akil
05-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Philippino Stick fighting is a form of Silat and from what I’ve seen in anything but dainty >.<

smile
05-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I wanna do martial arts

Hey have you guys seen Vladimir Putin in action!

H4RUN
05-25-2007, 09:50 PM
^^^lol at danty...

source

That looks very similar to the kicks and 'uniform' of a muay thai boxer, reminds of the movie ong bak

H4RUN
05-25-2007, 09:52 PM
ohhhhh tomoi! i know this. but by its other name at the bottom muay thai. I LIKE this. MashaaAllah.

and lol at 'cover your eyes' you have to do that alot in 'boxing' no matter what form now a days, i dont know whats their issue with not having on clothes.:enough!:

lol Well thing is, movement can be restricted once your in the atmosphere of the ring, you sweat alot due to the combat and the heat around you, hence your clothing stick to you and makes life just that much more harder...But then some can argue some clothing doesnt restrict you, i guess the material matters as much as the design of the clothing

Thanaa
05-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Ive always wanted to learn martial arts...:) Im very slightly obsessed. I did go to Wing Chun Kung Fu for a few lessons, but I didnt like my teacher (and was ill for 2 lessons), so I dropped it. Im hoping to start again when I move back to England. Just with a different teacher.
Ive always wanted to do Tae Kwon Do; Is it hard to learn?:?

05-26-2007, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thanaa
Ive always wanted to learn martial arts...:) Im very slightly obsessed. I did go to Wing Chun Kung Fu for a few lessons, but I didnt like my teacher (and was ill for 2 lessons), so I dropped it. Im hoping to start again when I move back to England. Just with a different teacher.
Ive always wanted to do Tae Kwon Do; Is it hard to learn?:?

Hard? Naw not really but much like any martial arts it takes much practise, focus, and determination. Anything will become diffcult with the wrong mind set and lack of focus and determination. If you understand what youre being taught then its easy, the hard part is practising it over and over and over again to master the thing.

A master in taekwondo whom name i cant recall right now once said

"Dont fear the man who practised a thousand kicks once, but fear the man who practised one kick a thousand times"

and this is the case with anything you learn in any form of martial arts. Plus generallly once you learn the basics everything is pretty much added on to that and you just learn new ways, or just more in general.

Anyone is welcome to add to this, or differ even.

H4RUN
05-26-2007, 07:32 PM

"Dont fear the man who practised a thousand kicks once, but fear the man who practised one kick a thousand times"

MashaAllah i forgot i even told you all that time ago, you have passed the memory test, now focus!:p

Oh and yeah, 'the bag does not hit back' :D:D

:w: Fighters

05-26-2007, 09:58 PM

MashaAllah i forgot i even told you all that time ago, you have passed the memory test, now focus!:p

Oh and yeah, 'the bag does not hit back' :D:D

:w: Fighters
:giggling: jokester :p InshaaAllah maybe one day you'll be a master. Just not mine haha.

And what bag doenst hit back? Im confused :?

H4RUN
05-26-2007, 10:31 PM
:giggling: jokester :p InshaaAllah maybe one day you'll be a master. Just not mine haha.

And what bag doenst hit back? Im confused :?

I think twas said by Bruce lee, but i'll take credit for it:p I told him it! lol...Just to emphasise on the fact that u can be as good as anyone when it comes to hitting a punch bag, but the fact is, it doesnt hit u back, so dont matter how good you are..

By being good when someone hits you back is when you know you have acomplished something:D Now once again FOCUS!:p Go punch and break a brick:p It wont hit ya back so there's no real point in it, but go ahead jus for the fun of it lol

05-26-2007, 10:33 PM

I think twas said by Bruce lee, but i'll take credit for it:p I told him it! lol...Just to emphasise on the fact that u can be as good as anyone when it comes to hitting a punch bag, but the fact is, it doesnt hit u back, so dont matter how good you are..

By being good when someone hits you back is when you know you have acomplished something:D Now once again FOCUS!:p Go punch and break a brick:p It wont hit ya back so there's no real point in it, but go ahead jus for the fun of it lol

lol ohhhhh ahaha ;D

whatever! prehaps you'll serve as perfect target practice then? :rollseyes

06-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Noooo! my martial arts thread is not going down in flames. you peoples better find something to talk about :p

H4RUN
06-02-2007, 06:24 PM

erm erm erm poke someones eyes if you get close enough:D Really tickles the one being poked, but dont wait around to see them laugh lol

Muezzin
06-02-2007, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Akil
Philippino Stick fighting is a form of Silat and from what I’ve seen in anything but dainty >.<
Is that what they were doing at the beginning of Rambo III?

06-03-2007, 06:31 AM

erm erm erm poke someones eyes if you get close enough:D Really tickles the one being poked, but dont wait around to see them laugh lol

lol :giggling:

But i want to be able to not have to run! i want to be able to have to wait around until the ambulance come to collect you :D

introspective
09-14-2014, 06:42 PM
:sl: to sisters and brothers who are interested in martial arts and to students in their respective art. My opinions are not facts, by the way, so if I offend anyone it's not my intention to do so. In case you're all wondering, I'm a student of Kempo Jiu Jitsu. It has its roots in Okinawan and Hawaiian jiu jitsu and is open to variation in techniques. I wouldn't say it's a formal art but more of a close quarter combat (CQC) system. I am taught to not end up on the ground with the opponent and to get back up in case that happens while restraining them with a joint lock. Note that in the U.S., a citizen has the right to exercise self-defense, with reasonable force, in a physical confrontation. This notion may be contested differently, depending on the circumstance, by U.S. court judges and in other countries.

It's quite humorous that some of you think that one hit knockouts (*cough* *cough* Karate *cough* *cough*) and crescent kicks will end a fight. Unless your opponent has the coordination of a sloth, your concept of fighting may end up back firing on you. Taekwondo was developed by the Koreans as a sport to sell their culture. Instead of the trying to be flashy with flexibility, I'd rather learn Taekkyeon. I'll give a nod to Muay Thai/Thai kickboxing since the rigorous conditioning regime is quite good, but it depends on the quality of the instructor and the school. Ring fighting and dojos have rules and safety measures to protect the individual in a controlled setting. On the street, do some of you think that you'll be granted the same safety measures?

The Gracies, who founded Brazilian ground grappling (I won't call it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu since the art solely focuses on one component of Judo and that is ne-waza or ground work), like to mislead unsuspecting people by stating that 90% of fights go to the ground. It's a grossly exaggerated claim, and it's an unethical marketing tactic for instructors to get more students and more money. A police officer was brave enough to do some deep digging and question the claim (Budo Blog: 90% of all fights go to the ground.....Really?). Note that the study used data from the Los Angeles police department and is not representative of other police departments across the U.S.

The student learning any art can be proficient depending on how much effort, devotion, and seriousness he/she puts into their practice. However, speaking as a student, learning techniques does not make you invincible and untouchable when it comes to self defense. It takes patience, intuition, common sense, and discipline to understand limitations of one's abilities and their respective art. Here's an excerpt from an interview with Moses Powell (founder of Sanuces Ryu Jiu Jitsu):

“There is really no such thing as the best style or discipline when it comes to self-defense, all disciplines have something valuable to offer and have their flaws. A student who practices karate will only help to enhance his capabilities if he or she is enrolled in a boxing class, Kung Fu class, Jujitsu or other discipline.

Each Martial Arts system should be considered a support system for all disciplines. If a judo practitioner approaches you, and applies the principle of Kuzushi, or breaking the balance, you will undoubtedly be in trouble. If you are faced with someone who’s really skilled at using his legs and you are not skilled at closing the gap between you and that person, its going to be “a rough day.”

When I asked Dr. Powell about grappling, he commented,” grappling is very effective, but is only practical when you are fighting one person. Even when you are applying sacrifice throws this is only practical when you do not have to be concerned about a group of people attacking you. The best fighter is the one who has kicking skills, grappling skills, boxing skills, and the most important skill, the ability to remain calm in the midst of battle.”

Dr. Powell expounded on the realities of Dojo training and actually defending one’s self in a truly hostile environment. “There are many Dojo warriors, but very few street warriors. It takes heart to defend yourself, especially when the odds seem to be against you.” Being a superstar in the Dojo means nothing unless you can apply those same quality skills in an uncontrolled, dangerous situation. Being good at performing Katas or forms and not being good at fighting is an obvious unbalance. It is my own opinion that man’s greatest enemy is his own self-delusion. Wearing a belt around your waist, regardless of its color does not guarantee proficiency. It is hard work and humility of mind that molds the true warrior; not laziness and arrogance.’
(End of excerpt)

So, in the interest of keeping my rant short, forget watching UFC and televised "fighting leagues" and don't take filmed choreographed violence and fight scenes for granted. Brute strength and uncontrolled aggression can only take you so far. There will be always someone physically stronger than you. The techniques in using an opponent's force or leverage against them will always work if used correctly. Again, just because you learn a martial art does not make you successful in every physical confrontation. Human aggression and fighting are unpredictable and the degree of severity varies. You will always fear for your life, and you cannot suppress such an instinct when your life is threatened. There is always a chance that you will get bruised, cut up, or injured.

The Qadr is with Allah (SWT).

Snow
09-14-2014, 07:20 PM
I did judo for a few years and I was/am pretty good at ne-waza.
I stopped after having a nagging injury but later on I trained with some Gracie jiu jitsu school and did surprisingly well.
Even beat a brown belt in my first randori/rolling session. He got upset and was arguing that I should not have worn a white belt, as I had obviously studied GJJ/BJJ.
It was pretty funny but I explained to him that I had done judo but had not trained in a couple of years and had never done GJJ/BJJ

I am a fan of MMA, mostly.
Used to follow k-1, boxing and so on.
Always wanted to train boxing but I messed up my neck as someone drove into the side of my car.

introspective
09-14-2014, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
Even beat a brown belt in my first randori/rolling session. He got upset and was arguing that I should not have worn a white belt, as I had obviously studied GJJ/BJJ.
It was pretty funny but I explained to him that I had done judo but had not trained in a couple of years and had never done GJJ/BJJ
I'm guessing you used the principles of tai sabaki and kuzushi to their fullest? I'm not sure how I would fare on the ground but I would try to be patient enough to not struggle and basically keep moving while being aware of how my limbs are exposed.

I think the problem with the mentality of many students of Bgg (Brazilian ground grappling) is that they don't have humility or humbleness, are overly aggressive, and impatient. I guess it's just the way the school markets itself or that the instructors like to boast every single teaching session. I may sound bigoted, but the Gracies forgot to throw away their Italian machismo (being macho) when they learned judo from Maeda and passed on their teachings. But then Maeda was a prize fighter and he may have enabled this sort of attitude. I think the principles of honor and spirit of jujutsu (pre-Meiji jujutsu) were not incorporated into judo (Kano Jigoro considered judo as jujutsu at the time even though he took out a lot of techniques from classical jujutsu) after it was made to appear less 'savage' in order to appease the West.

Snow
09-14-2014, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by introspective
I'm guessing you used the principles of tai sabaki and kuzushi to their fullest? I'm not sure how I would fare on the ground but I would try to be patient enough to not struggle and basically keep moving while being aware of how my limbs are exposed.

I think the problem with the mentality of many students of BGG (Brazilian ground grappling) is that they don't have humility or humbleness, are overly aggressive, and impatient. I guess it's just the way the school markets itself or that the instructors like to boast every single teaching session. I may sound bigoted, but the Gracies forgot to throw away their Italian machismo (being macho) when they learned Judo from Maeda and passed on their teachings. But then Maeda was a prize fighter and he may have enabled this sort of attitude. I think the principles of honor and spirit of jujutsu (bujutsu) was not incorporated into Judo after it was made to appear less 'savage' in order to appease the West.
The brown belt that was in GJJ was trying to play a traditional guard game.
I passed the guard by controlling his legs and passing to side mount.
Then I mounted him surprisingly easily, controlled the head from the mount.

I can´t post a picture of the position, since I am a limited member and I am awful with names. I have forgotten the japanese name of the pin.

You basically get mount, lie down to control the head. Put your legs under his legs and spread the legs of the opponents out by spreading your legs out as you hook the opponents.
He was helpless, trying to kick out the legs but it is hard to get out of the position if the head is controlled well.
I thought about a collar choke but the pin worked so well, there was no need.

I agree with your thoughts about Maeda. It is often forgotten that with the judo rules, you have to act explosive and within such a short time - while JJ is often about getting in a not too bad situation and survive.
Both are great though.

introspective
09-14-2014, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
The brown belt that was in GJJ was trying to play a traditional guard game.
I passed the guard by controlling his legs and passing to side mount.
Then I mounted him surprisingly easily, controlled the head from the mount.

You basically get mount, lie down to control the head. Put your legs under his legs and spread the legs of the opponents out by spreading your legs out as you hook the opponents.
He was helpless, trying to kick out the legs but it is hard to get out of the position if the head is controlled well.
I thought about a collar choke but the pin worked so well, there was no need.
I think what you described is called tate shiho hiza hishigi.

Snow
09-14-2014, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by introspective
I think what you described is called tate shiho hiza hishigi.
Yes. Thank you. Exactly that.
It was funny pinning a brown belt in GJJ with it, as I never used it in judo.
When I think about, I don't see it used too much.

introspective
09-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Hard? Naw not really but much like any martial arts it takes much practice, focus, and determination. Anything will become difficult with the wrong mind set and lack of focus and determination. If you understand what youre being taught then its easy, the hard part is practicing it over and over and over again to master the thing.

"Don't fear the man who practiced a thousand kicks once, but fear the man who practised one kick a thousand times"

and this is the case with anything you learn in any form of martial arts. Plus generally once you learn the basics everything is pretty much added on to that and you just learn new ways, or just more in general.

Anyone is welcome to add to this, or differ even.

Sister, I agree with your points that you've made about learning an art. Once the basics become second nature to you, you just get more creative in implementing techniques.

Have you heard of ninjutsu? Jujutsu and ninjutsu share similar core aspects but differ in their strategies and implementation of techniques.

There's a clip of Master Ali Abdul Karim showing basic body movements (Tai sabaki: Defeating grabs with free movement tactics - YouTube). You may think it's a halfhearted display of joint locks but do you really think the techniques would be demonstrated to their fullest effect? If so, the student would probably be out of commission for months because broken or severely sprained joints take time to heal. The harder you resist during a restraining joint lock, the more pain you'll experience.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.