/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is Palestine really like??

tomtomsmom
05-18-2007, 03:46 PM
As some of you may know, my husband is from Jordan but he calls Palestine home because that is where all of his family is from. Well we are starting to plan a trip to Jordan for next summer. My husband wants to visit Palestine while we are there. I told him NO WAY!!!!! He says that we will be perfectly safe. Me.... I think not. Sorry to say but I don't want to be the white american girl walking around in the Gaza Strip!!! That doesn't exactly sound like a vacation to me. So I am asking all of you what is it really like there? If you have been there recently or live there could you let me know, cause I am scared:cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tomtomsmom
05-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Umm...............somebody...............anybody.. ................can you help?

Al-Zaara
05-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Asselamu aleykum,

I know a friend who is going to Palestine this summer inshaAllah, she was there two summers ago. I don't know exactly how the situation is there, but I can email my friend inshaAllah.

But to be honest, I think it's pretty dangerous there, but that's just 'cause I have heard the fightings have increased.

extinction
05-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Its a media hype and stereotype...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wilberhum
05-20-2007, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
Its a media hype and stereotype...
Since you know that it is, media hype and stereotype. you must know what it is truly like. :skeleton:
I too, as tomtomsmom would like to knows what it is like.

Keltoi
05-20-2007, 06:58 PM
A friend of mine went to Israel for a pilgrimage a few years back and actually visited some of the Palestinian areas. He described them as being very friendly and the area was peaceful at the time. I guess it just depends on the political situation.

extinction
05-20-2007, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Since you know that it is, media hype and stereotype. you must know what it is truly like. :skeleton:
I too, as tomtomsmom would like to knows what it is like.
I never went personally, but a family friend has been on numerous occasions and just went few months ago and from his recounts and seeing all his limbs in tact it was pretty obvious its not that major... he even said he heard commotion and things but as far as him being attacked ...nothing..he even told us he was recognized as an outsider and wasnt a traget for anyone...

Woodrow
05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I would imagine it is no different than taking a trip to Ireland. I was recently speaking to a friend from Ireland and he says it is all overly exaggerated. He works as a tail gunner on a milk truck.

the above is a paraphrase of an old joke.

Yes, there are hazards everyplace these days. I would say that all travel even across town can be hazardous. The question is just how much risk is there actually involved. If you will be visiting friends that live there, let them be your guide for keeping out of trouble.

S_87
05-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Peace

best to consult sister charisma she can help you. though i doubt the palestinians would hate you for being white american :?

00:00
05-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Depends where about you gonna go in Palestine, some places are dangerous than others, wear a bullet proof vest if u do decide to go. Palestine is a beautiful country, but it has some ugly people there i.e. the zionist soldiers.

ummzayd
05-21-2007, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
As some of you may know, my husband is from Jordan but he calls Palestine home because that is where all of his family is from. Well we are starting to plan a trip to Jordan for next summer. My husband wants to visit Palestine while we are there. I told him NO WAY!!!!! He says that we will be perfectly safe. Me.... I think not. Sorry to say but I don't want to be the white american girl walking around in the Gaza Strip!!! That doesn't exactly sound like a vacation to me. So I am asking all of you what is it really like there? If you have been there recently or live there could you let me know, cause I am scared:cry:
the Palestinian people are warm and welcoming to outsiders, being a white american girl won't make you a target, but there is a lot of unrest there at the moment (ie violence from within now as well as from the zionists) & it is a worry that you might get caught up in that - not as a target but even bystanders can be hurt unintentionally.

there are lots of white european & american peace activists in Palestine, some of them have given their lives for the Palestinian people and this is hugely appreciated. Also the Palestinians are very keen for outsiders to come and witness what they are really like, and under what conditions they live, due to the horrendous propoganda against them.

I get my info from others who have been there, but insha'Allah I will go there myself one day. masha'Allah I have a lot of admiration for these people who have so much patience and strength under so much suffering.

I hope you will go and enjoy your visit and come back safely to tell us all about it insha'Allah!

:w:

tomtomsmom
05-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! I am still scared to go. I think I will have to try and talk my husband out of it. I know that his family will try to protect us but there is only so much they can do.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.