/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what does 786 mean?

*~Sofia~*
05-18-2007, 05:03 PM
:sl: bros and sisters,

i no alot of ppl who use 786 and they say it means 'Bismillah ir rahman nirahim'. is this tru? :?

jazakallah in advance :)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
wa'alaikum as'asalam

The number 786 means 786 and nothing more!
When Allah or His messenger want to teach us something, they do so in the clearest way, far from puzzles and mystery numbers. All the efforts made by some Muslims to count letters and relate them to numbers are nothing but a waste of time. Sometimes they do so with good intention to show that our deen is great. Indeed our deen is great, and not in need of such erroneous approaches.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

vpb
05-18-2007, 05:30 PM
The number 786 means 786 and nothing more!
lollll , i love these kind of responses :) lolllll

*~Sofia~*
05-18-2007, 05:38 PM
:sl: bro,

lol, i guess thats cleared up then! jus a number then.. thought as much :statisfie
jazakAllah bro 4 gettin back

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
One Man Army
05-18-2007, 09:02 PM
but then where duz this number come from? because i have many muslim friends that have told me it has religous significance. they all have it after msn names, write it on text books, etc

chacha_jalebi
05-18-2007, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ultimate truth
but then where duz this number come from? because i have many muslim friends that have told me it has religous significance. they all have it after msn names, write it on text books, etc
i think it came when they used to write letters over aand stuff and instead of writin "Bismillah" on a paper, they would write 786,

it has somethin to do with the numbers of summin of bismillah, if that makes sense :D

One Man Army
05-18-2007, 09:44 PM
yeh thats what i was told. but this topic condradicts that. is their any scriptures for backing up of its meaning? thanks

chacha_jalebi
05-18-2007, 09:46 PM
^ it doesnt contradict, i think the posters are just sayin that its nots respectable substituting Allah (swt) words, with numbers

snakelegs
05-18-2007, 10:04 PM
like hebrew, each arabic letter stands for a number. there is a whole system of numerology that comes from it.
this is called "abjad".

for more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abjad_numerals

from the article:
Example: The common Islamic phrase بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم bi-smi-llaahi r-rahmaani r-rahiim ("in the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate" – see Basmala) would have a nominal value of 786 (from a letter-by-letter cumulative value of 2+60+40 + 1+30+30+5 + 1+30+200+8+40+50 + 1+30+200+8+10+40), where the word "Allah" (God) alone has the value 66.

vpb
05-18-2007, 10:10 PM
the answer is really simple. Did Prophet Muhammed saws substituted bismillah with numbers? if not then why should we do it? let's try substitute words with numbers on writing an essay on an exam and lets see what are the results (the grade). This thing is just kiddy. We have characters and we use them, so we don't substitute with numbers unless you are working with ASCII :p

aadil77
05-19-2007, 10:17 AM
:sl:

oooh mann i've been writing 786 on everyone of my exam and test papers, what can I right instead?:?

'Abd al-Baari
05-19-2007, 10:38 AM

Instead of writing it on your paper you could start by saying

'aa'ozu billahi minas shaytanir rajeem' 'bismillah hir rahmanir rahim' and 'rabi yasir wala tu'assir rabbi zidni ilma'
its what i did :D:D

*~Sofia~*
05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
salam bro aadil,

i usually write 'In the name of the most High' in the corner of my exam papers. u cud do that instead :)

wasalm

vpb
05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
salam bro aadil,

i usually write 'In the name of the most High' in the corner of my exam papers. u cud do that instead

wasalm
do they say anything to you about it?

Malaikah
05-19-2007, 11:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
oooh mann i've been writing 786 on everyone of my exam and test papers, what can I right instead?:?

Why write it at all though? Can't you just say it? :? Unless there is some virtue in writing it that i don't know of, I don't see why you need to actually write it...

poga
05-19-2007, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ultimate truth
yeh thats what i was told. but this topic condradicts that. is their any scriptures for backing up of its meaning? thanks
it is numerical value of arabic abjad of bismillah but if you do anagram with this letters of bismillah you still get 786 therefore it can not be replaced for bismillah therefore those who think it can be they are doing bidah act of heresy:w:

vpb
05-19-2007, 12:10 PM

it is numerical value of arabic abjad of bismillah but if you do anagram with this letters of bismillah you still get 786 therefore it can not be replaced for bismillah therefore those who think it can be they are doing bidah act of heresy

agree with u

AvarAllahNoor
05-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I hear it's nothing but a number which some silly muslims have associated with Islam. They should do some research first.

Prisca
05-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Isn't 786 the name of some band?

*~Sofia~*
05-19-2007, 04:22 PM
^^ yeh, it's a name of a band too

*~Sofia~*
05-19-2007, 04:26 PM
do they say anything to you about it?
to tell u the truth, i only started writing that this year.. i found it as a tip on one of these threads ('exam tips'). so fort i mite jus do dat.. doubt they gonna say anything tho.. well i hope not lol

- Qatada -
05-20-2007, 03:31 PM
:salamext:

I think the main issues been explained well. So i'll close the thread insha
Allaah.

Thread Closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!