/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Hijab & its ruling

~habibti~
05-18-2007, 11:40 PM
salaam

i have been haivng an on going debate with a friend who insists that the hijab is a cultural thing and not a relgious thing. I provided a quote from the Qur'an which said that a woman should hide her a bueaty, but he says that it doesnt specify hair, or nething like that

i was wondering if you lot could help me prove to him that it is indeed a part of Islam and not a cultural thing

thanks sooo much:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
05-19-2007, 06:24 AM
:sl: :)

i have been haivng an on going debate with a friend who insists that the hijab is a cultural thing and not a relgious thing. I provided a quote from the Qur'an which said that a woman should hide her a bueaty, but he says that it doesnt specify hair, or nething like that
And how did he arrive with that knowledge/ interruption? Did he read the Tafsir (explantion of the Quran) or ask the people of knowledge? If one is going to speak about a matter in Islam, he he should speak with evidence, so ask him where he got that from.

The Hijab is not a culture thing, as he puts, it is a commandment from Allah just like the prayer, and as you correctly presented him with the proof from the Quran, he should know we do not understand the Quran according to what suits us, but how the Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) undertood it and the best of generation, the Companions (radhi-Allaahu 'anhum).

Al-Ahzab 33:59:

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

The Command of Hijab

Here Allah tells His Messenger to command the believing women -- especially his wives and daughters, because of their position of honor -- to draw their Jilbabs over their bodies, so that they will be distinct in their appearance from the women of the Jahiliyyah and from slave women. The Jilbab is a Rida', worn over the Khimar. This was the view of Ibn Mas`ud, `Ubaydah, Qatadah, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Sa`id bin Jubayr, Ibrahim An-Nakha`i, `Ata' Al-Khurasani and others. It is like the Izar used today. Al-Jawhari said: "The Jilbab is the outer wrapper. `Ali bin Abi Talhah reported that Ibn `Abbas said that Allah commanded the believing women, when they went out of their houses for some need, to cover their faces from above their heads with the Jilbab, leaving only one eye showing. Muhammad bin Sirin said, "I asked `Ubaydah As-Salmani about the Ayah:

[يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَـبِيبِهِنَّ]

(to draw their Jalabib over their bodies.) He covered his face and head, with just his left eye showing.''

[ذلِكَ أَدْنَى أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلاَ يُؤْذَيْنَ]

(That will be better that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. ) means, if they do that, it will be known that they are free, and that they are not servants or *****s.

[وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُوراً رَّحِيماً]

(And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.) means, with regard to what happened previously during the days of Jahiliyyah, when they did not have any knowledge about this.

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=33&tid=42166

This is why we said in the book ‘The Muslim Woman’s Hijaab’ that when a Muslim woman leaves from her home, she is obligated to do two things:

(1) To place a khimaar over her head, and (2) then to apply a jilbaab over that, thus going out dressed with the khimaar and the jilbaab. So when a woman goes out of her home, one garment does not suffice without the other – a woman must combine between both the khimaar and the jilbaab. You are aware of the Qur’anic verse related to the khimaar in which Allaah says: ‘And (tell them) to draw their khumur (veils) over their bosoms.’ [Surah An-Noor: 31]

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ubstitute.html
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin when the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons"was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.
[Abu Dawud]

'Aisha used to say: "When (the Verse): 'They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms,' was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces."
[Bukhari]

AmarFaisal
05-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Assalamoalaikum Sis Muslimah,

Regarding the hijab and jilbab, I have a question.

Alhamdulillah, I wear Hijab (but not the jilbab).

My question is, a friend of mine, who'd always give me beautiful lectures on Islam, though she isn't a qualified Alimah, would insist that HIJAB is extremely compulsary (I have no doubts abt that) but she'd say that JILBAB is secondary. She meant that a women must wear HIjab but taking a Jilbab is not as compulsary as a Hijab.

From the evidence u have given above, it shows clearly that both r equaly important. So is she completely wrong? Pliz let me know so I can correct her.

Umm Yoosuf
05-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Wa Alaikumussalaam Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa barakatuh :)

What is Hijab to her and what is Jilbab :?

This is a very good article on the outter garment by Shaikh Al-Albani

A lot of sisters think the Hijab stops at the 'Abaaya and Khimar but doesn't stop there. As explained by Shaikh Al-Alabi the 'Abyaa and Khimar are the first stage (i,e Surah Nur) there is a Second stage (Surah Al-Ahzab) which talks about an "outer garment", a Jilbab, which is a long cloak starting from the head, going down, covering the entire body, it is either in two pieces or one piece, regardless it has to start from the head :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~habibti~
05-19-2007, 12:21 PM
thank so much for your answers its really helpful!

jannat
05-23-2007, 03:53 PM
:sl:

i believe that hijab is compulsory but when it comes to jilbab, i dont think you have to wear one. I think as long as ur clothes are long , loose and guarding your body its okay not to wear jilbab. What u do ppl think:?

ScoobyGurl
05-23-2007, 08:25 PM
What about this skirt mixed with this top? I think that would be acceptable hijab. It serves the same function as the jilbab and it cover s the same thing a jilbab would.

Umm Yoosuf
05-24-2007, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jannat

i believe that hijab is compulsory but when it comes to jilbab, i dont think you have to wear one. I think as long as ur clothes are long , loose and guarding your body its okay not to wear jilbab. What u do ppl think:?
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh

Ukhti we have to understand that Islam is not based on what you and I think, Islaam is based on what Alalh said and what the Prophet (pbuh) said :)

So when it comes to aspects such as the Hijab you have to look at what Alalh commanded us to wear, which is a Jilbab, an outer garment, like a cloak.
I posted this link a countless times, its worth the read, Insha Allah read it :)

Emperor
06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~habibti~
salaam

i was wondering if you lot could help me prove to him that it is indeed a part of Islam and not a cultural thing

thanks sooo much:D

Modest dress for women IS prescribed in the Quran, but different cultures define modesty differently. Therefore, variations arise from culture to culture or from individual to individual.

ScoobyGurl
06-01-2007, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emperor
Modest dress for women IS prescribed in the Quran, but different cultures define modesty differently. Therefore, variations arise from culture to culture or from individual to individual.

This is true to a point but we have to be careful because this type of argument has been used to say that women (especially women in the West) don't have to wear khimar because modesty is different from culture to culture.

The Qur'an does prescribe how to be modest. Muslim women are commanded to wear khimar (i.e. scarf that cover the hair, neck, and bossom) and jilbab (i.e. loose garment that does not show the contours of the woman's body and covers to woman's entire body). IA that how hijab looks from culture to culture will be different but no matter what culture, Muslimahs should adhere to the guidelines set out in the Qur'an.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.