/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Any one got a English Literature exam?

aadil77
05-19-2007, 10:48 PM
:sl:

I can't stand english, lol, and ive got an english exam on tuesday, really nervous abt it.:X
just want to know anyone else got an exam?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Prisca
05-19-2007, 10:53 PM
are you kidding?? English is great and well easy(cause you speak the language duh :P)

it's better than these exams I'm having, biology, chemistry and MATH :cry: I HATE math!

aadil77
05-19-2007, 10:56 PM

ha lol, for me its the other way around i LOVE maths:D and HATE english+o( - i'm just not imaginative enough, so do you have an english exam?

Encolpius
05-19-2007, 11:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77

ha lol, for me its the other way around i LOVE maths:D and HATE english+o( - i'm just not imaginative enough, so do you have an english exam?

English Literature isn't that bad, actually.

However, your experiences of it depend heavily on what set books you get lumbered with. For my A level, I got Frankenstein (brilliant), the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales (not bad), the Merchant of Venice (one of Shakespeare's less turgid plays), King Lear (hated it at first but in retrospect pretty tasty), Heart of Darkness (short but very thought-provoking and well written) and Paradise Lost (definitely one to read, but then I love epic poetry.)

English Literature is basically all about knowing the set books and thinking on your feet in the exam. However, my advice would be this - if you get a question on close textual analysis, pick it because the answers are all there in the passage they've quoted, you just need to relate it to the book as a whole. Spend time thinking the text to yourself and listening to each word as it comes and when you detect something useful or interesting, note it in the margins of the question paper.

As for maths, I did the Ad Maths GCSE and people wanted me to do A level Maths, and I could have done it actually, but I would have found it turgid to be honest. I still understand (some!) mathematical jokes though!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Prisca
05-20-2007, 02:27 PM

heh everyone is like that, if they hate english they love maths...
Well your right, English does require imagination but hey thats what makes it fun :) you get to day dream in class while in math you have to listen to every single word the teacher says, BORING!

And no, I finished my Lit exam and got an A :D

aadil77
05-20-2007, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Prisca
heh everyone is like that, if they hate english they love maths...
Well your right, English does require imagination but hey thats what makes it fun :) you get to day dream in class while in math you have to listen to every single word the teacher says, BORING!

And no, I finished my Lit exam and got an A :D
wow i'd be over the moon if i got an A:thumbs_up , what did you get in english language?

jzcasejz
05-20-2007, 07:57 PM
I got English Literature for AS Levels, on Friday. Good luck to ya Bro.

And Encolpius, that was some top quality advice. If you got any more advice...then please can you post. :thumbs_up Thanks! And yep, Literature isn't that bad...I kinda enjoyed it...

Nablus
05-20-2007, 08:11 PM
English literature is very beautiful and interestingso it instigates the student to read it and understand it.Like Celopetra , Midsummer Night Dream ang Paradise lost and paradise regained ...etc

Kittygyal
05-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Salamualikum.
am outcha here :X
ma'assalama

Encolpius
05-20-2007, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
I got English Literature for AS Levels, on Friday. Good luck to ya Bro.

And Encolpius, that was some top quality advice. If you got any more advice...then please can you post. :thumbs_up Thanks! And yep, Literature isn't that bad...I kinda enjoyed it...
Well... firstly, if it's "open book" (you can take the thing in) do so, but don't rely on it as a crutch. The more time you spend flipping for quotes and for bits of evidence to support your answer, the less time you have to actually write an answer and come up with ideas. Also if it's open book they do tend to mark it more harshly than if it's closed book, so keep that in mind...

Erm... the best way to revise for anything, actually, I find, is to go and dig up past papers and things and do them against the clock then see if you can get your teachers to go through them with you afterwards. I think some exam boards put their past papers on the internet, though this might not be for all subjects.

I think I should keep this brief though, since I too have exanimations this week - Droit civil on Thursday and Droit et fiscalité des sociétés on Friday. Still, by June 7, it'll be all over... as, most likely, will be most of us Anglo-French students' aspirations of being French lawyers!!!!

Silver Pearl
05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Some excellent advice by Encolpius!

English literature is about knowing what you're talking about it, if you don't know, don't blag it, get extremely arrogant, I know it sounds silly but if you convience yourself of your ideas then the reader is more likely to be convienced too. Don't waffle.

Always remember, make a point, then give evidence, follow that by explanation and then signpost back to the question. Do this for every paragraph or every point you make. Alot of the time students forget this and end up going off-tangent without addressing the question fully. Don't limit your vocub. We had to use terms like phallocentric, solipsistic but then we had to do poetry and our exam didn't permit us to take our poems in, we had to memorise about 9 poems by 3 different poets.

Don't be rigid on your understanding on the piece given, read it once, jot down some ideas, read it again, jot ideas down and then plan. If you have 2 hr exam, spend 45 minutes planning and then the rest writing and checking it over. I know 45 mins seems alot but believe me the more time you re-read over the piece, you spot something new. Be creative nd don't be afraid but at the same time do not be absurd.

These terms may be of some help: juxtaposition, pathetic fallacy, imagery (visual, olfactory etc), tone, metaphor, personification.

I hope that helped. Above all make dua and before you start, just say Bismillaah.

Hope your exams go well! I have french on wednesday.

:wasalamex

------
05-21-2007, 02:06 PM
edit

Maarya
05-21-2007, 03:37 PM

dnt worry - i'm the same. cant stand english and luv maths.
i hav an exam tomorrow (22nd may) for english literature. i'm dreading it!!!

muzna
05-21-2007, 03:55 PM
english lit bored me...seriously...i think its all about writing what the examiners want to read...they arent interested in what YOU think..

Al-Hanbali
05-21-2007, 03:59 PM
:salamext:

Yh got Eng.Lit tomorrow. btw which book is everyone doing?

00:00
05-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Just use the PQE method, and inshalalh you'll ace the exam. make ur point, use a quote for it and than just explain it.

To get more marks use around 8-9 quotes and just talk about them.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Salamualikum
Use P.E.E

Point
Evidence
Explanation

:X

ma'assalama

Encolpius
05-21-2007, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
english lit bored me...seriously...i think its all about writing what the examiners want to read...they arent interested in what YOU think..
I don't know about English Lit, but that is exceptionally close to how the folks up the Sorbonne mark law exams...

...and don't get me STARTED on the importance of le plan!!!!

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Salamualikum.

5 mins plan
45 task

am i correct :X

ma'assalama

Israa
05-21-2007, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Muhammad

Yh got Eng.Lit tomorrow. btw which book is everyone doing?
I have got my literature exam tomorrow as well and i am doing on 'Hobson's Choice' (the most boring book on the planet) and 'Of Mice and Men'.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Om.. Hosbson's choice is intrsting. Have you revised it? by the way you mean 'Mice of Men' thats a sick book
Ma'assalama

Muezzin
05-21-2007, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
Just use the PQE method, and inshalalh you'll ace the exam. make ur point, use a quote for it and than just explain it.

To get more marks use around 8-9 quotes and just talk about them.
Yep. Point, quote, analyse and you can't go wrong.

Also make sure to write a plan before you write your answer.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Watch the clock because Examiners don't actually tell when plan time is over. Roughly 5mins for plan then 45 for task or is it 1:45?
ma'assalama

Encolpius
05-21-2007, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Yep. Point, quote, analyse and you can't go wrong.
Unless you're in France and doing law. If so, students are not generally expected to reflect on personally, or give any critique of the subject, but to analyse it in an approved manner which is based on deductive reasoning and not inductive leaps, and avoids any bringing in of extrajudicial factors such as policy discussions.

Students are also expected to write their answers in two equal halves (I and II) which are "problématisé" or adapted to the underlying problematic aspects of the question, and each of which is split into two sub-parts (A and B). All parts and sub parts have titles which mustn't contain any conjugated verb and must be constructed in such a way as to be even and precise. Needless to say, this takes a lot of getting used to, especially as often people refuse to read your answer here if they mislike le plan.

So, for instance, if the subject is "The autonomy of French administrative law" you might deduce that the problématique is that like all branches of jurisprudence, it's autonomous, but to what extent. Then you'd be expected to extrapolate that into this plan:

I - The jurisprudential origins showing the autonomy of administrative law

A - The "Blanco" decision, origin of this autonomy

B - Expansion of this autonomy by later decisions

II - The constitutional control showing the limits of this autonomy

A - Limitation by the theory of the "loi-écran"

B - Limitation by European law

Even though, when we went through that paper in class, I had that plan but was still marked down heavily because my intitulés weren't phrased exactly enough and as such that put the marker in a bad mood. Oh joy.

Israa
05-21-2007, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum.
^ Om.. Hosbson's choice is intrsting. Have you revised it? by the way you mean 'Mice of Men' thats a sick book
Ma'assalama
No i mean 'Of Mice and Men', thats what is says on my book anyway.
I can't beleive you find Hobsons Choice interesting, if a had a choice it would be the last book i would read.
and Yes i have revised but mainly for 'Of Mice and Men' since i think theres more to revise for that book than Hobsons.

muzna
05-22-2007, 06:49 AM
are you'll talking about OL or AL literature....OL lit was such a drag...i mean, what is the deal with shakespeare? such rot

DAWUD_adnan
05-22-2007, 06:55 AM
yur right^, i used to do it, however i quite after i passed it.

jzcasejz
05-22-2007, 07:10 AM
'Mice of Men' thats a sick book
No it's called 'Of Mice and Men' lol. I remember that book, my heart bleeds for Curley's wife...NOT! :p

Al-Hanbali
05-22-2007, 05:42 PM

Finally Eng.Lit is over, alhamdulillah!

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
No it's called 'Of Mice and Men' lol. I remember that book, my heart bleeds for Curley's wife...NOT! :p

Salamualikum.
ewww isn't it 'mice of men' +o(
ma'assalama

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Israa
No i mean 'Of Mice and Men', thats what is says on my book anyway.
I can't beleive you find Hobsons Choice interesting, if a had a choice it would be the last book i would read.
and Yes i have revised but mainly for 'Of Mice and Men' since i think theres more to revise for that book than Hobsons.
Salamualikum.
It's not as bad as 'Shakespear' lol :omg:
Hobsons got more detail grr Hmpfft
ma'assalama

Encolpius
05-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Salamualikum.
It's not as bad as 'Shakespear' lol :omg:
Hobsons got more detail grr Hmpfft
ma'assalama
And what is inimical about Shakespeare?

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Encolpius
And what is inimical about Shakespeare?
Thou Houst tis bowin! +o(

Encolpius
05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Thou Houst tis bowin! +o(
Care to elaborate on why 'tis "bowin?"

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Care to elaborate on why 'tis "bowin?"
'coz tis is bowin. so thou maw ;D :X

over 'n out

Encolpius
05-22-2007, 06:17 PM
'coz tis is bowin. so thou maw ;D :X

over 'n out
In English?

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Salamualikum.
Leave me alone. I said nothing.
Ma'assalama

aadil77
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Israa
I have got my literature exam tomorrow as well and i am doing on 'Hobson's Choice' (the most boring book on the planet) and 'Of Mice and Men'.
yh i had of mice and men and an isnpector calls

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Salamualikum.
Inspector calls or inspector Gadget?
hey that tall man with browny hat and long black coat with glasses?
ma'assalama

aadil77
05-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Salamualikum.
Inspector calls or inspector Gadget?
hey that tall man with browny hat and long black coat with glasses?
ma'assalama
ha lol:thumbs_up , no not really its call 'An Inspector Calls' abt an inspetcor who blames a family for a girls death, really boring

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 06:33 PM
ha lol:thumbs_up , no not really its call 'An Inspector Calls' abt an inspetcor who blames a family for a girls death, really boring
Salamualikum.
Ya pitch dark all the time in video, always talking about some next lady. So cat not talk propely or present init?
ma'assalama

aadil77
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Salamualikum.
So cat not talk propely or present init?
ma'assalama
sorry didn't get a word of that??

Kittygyal
05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
sorry didn't get a word of that??
Salamualikum.
Me and cats eh? lol thats sound funny ;D
anywho i ment to say they can't act propley not present, because the film is boring always in a dull house and blaming one another waste of time eh
ma'assalama

Prisca
05-26-2007, 02:10 PM
In English?
hahahaha....sorry it just sounded funny,lol

wow i'd be over the moon if i got an A:thumbs_up , what did you get in english language?
B :raging: don't ask why...Plus Literature is wayyyy better anyway

strider
06-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I am ever so late in replying to this topic,anyhow i had the last of my AS English Literature papers on the 25th May. Alhamdullilah, the questions set were good although the 1hr papers x 3 were rather intensive to write in one go.

We did:
Richard III- William Shakespeare
The Spire- William Golding (closed text)
'Tis pity she's a w.hore- John Ford
The World's Wife- Carol Ann Duffy (poetry anthology).

I'm looking forward to A2.

00:00
06-02-2007, 10:23 PM
We did:
[/B]
boring.

Its gonna be much harder than the AS.

strider
06-02-2007, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
boring.
To each their own, i guess.

Its gonna be much harder than the AS.
AS wasn't 'hard'. I enjoy English Literature, so inshaAllah it will not be too much of a challenge.:thumbs_up

jzcasejz
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
I am ever so late in replying to this topic,anyhow i had the last of my AS English Literature papers on the 25th May. Alhamdullilah, the questions set were good although the 1hr papers x 3 were rather intensive to write in one go.

We did:

Hey you done Duffy too. The Duffy questions were easyyyyyy! We done The world's Wife, Spies and A Woman of no importance. Hope I pass. :phew

I enjoy English Literature, so inshaAllah it will not be too much of a challenge.:thumbs_up
Yeah...it's not that bad..it's cool. Used to hate it at the beginning of the year..but it's a nice subject...

Encolpius
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
To each their own, i guess.

AS wasn't 'hard'. I enjoy English Literature, so inshaAllah it will not be too much of a challenge.:thumbs_up
The synoptic paper is a bast though, mainly because you have to go out your way to read a lot more than just the set books.

Maarya
06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
anyone have english language tomorrow (gcse)?

m102313
06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Prisca
are you kidding?? English is great and well easy(cause you speak the language duh :P)

it's better than these exams I'm having, biology, chemistry and MATH :cry: I HATE math!
Just because you speak the language that does not make it easy, nowadays the youngsters use slang words most of the time.

Well, it is a great advantage though, becuase you speak English most of the time.

Encolpius
06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
Just because you speak the language that does not make it easy, nowadays the youngsters use slang words most of the time.

Well, it is a great advantage though, becuase you speak English most of the time.
They seem better versed in textspeak than in English... and no, textspeak is not an evolution of the language, it's a pidgin.

proudmuslim
06-04-2007, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maarya
anyone have english language tomorrow (gcse)?
salamz
yeh..I've got english and arabic tomorrow...dreading arabic though.
make dua for me.

w.salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.