/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mars bars get veggie status back

mohammed farah
05-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Mars has abandoned plans to use animal products in its chocolate, and has apologised to "upset" vegetarians. The firm had said it would change the whey used in some of its products from a vegetarian source to one with traces of the animal enzyme, rennet.

The Vegetarian Society organised a campaign against the move, asking members to voice their concerns to parent company Masterfoods.

Mars said it became "very clear, very quickly" that it had made a mistake.

In just one week, more than 6,000 people bombarded the company, which produces the Mars, Snickers, Maltesers and Galaxy brands, with phone and e-mail complaints.

Forty MPs also signed a petition to voice their opposition.

Fiona Dawson, managing director of Mars UK, said the company had listened to customers and decided to reverse its decision.

"The consumer is our boss and we had lots of feedback from consumers who were unhappy about the change," Ms Dawson said.

"It became very clear, very quickly that we had made a mistake, for which I am sorry.

"There are three million vegetarians in the UK and not only did we disappoint them, but we upset a lot of the consumers."

The Vegetarian Society had called the move by Mars "incomprehensible" and "a backward step" at a time when consumers were increasingly concerned about "the provenance of their food".

Mars replied that, by admitting its products were no longer suitable for "extremely strict vegetarians", it was making a "principled decision".

Now it insists it will begin changing its recipes back immediately.

Dr Annette Pinner, chief executive of the Vegetarian Society, said she was pleased Mars had been "honest enough" to admit it had "made a mistake".

"A Masterfoods representative has made contact with us and we are very pleased that they now recognise the importance of integrity to all their customers, especially vegetarians," she added.

Rennet is extracted from calves' stomachs and was to have been used in the ice cream versions of all Masterfoods' bars too.

Link:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6673549.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
vpb
05-20-2007, 08:04 AM
:sl:

that's good news :) but still
Don't chocolate. Eat dates.

mohammed farah
05-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Abd al-Baari
05-20-2007, 09:28 AM

yeyyyy :D:D:D
i can eat galaxy again! :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
05-20-2007, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
Chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb

that's good news :) but still
Don't chocolate. Eat dates.
Compromise: chocolate-coated dates. Everyone one wins!

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 09:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907

yeyyyy :D:D:D
i can eat galaxy again! :D
That's good news!

Btw, Dairy Milk is better than Galaxy :thumbs_up

mohammed farah
05-20-2007, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
That's good news!

agreed:D

vpb
05-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Compromise: chocolate-coated dates. Everyone one wins!
and also drinking milk while eating them ..mmmm... this dunya is trickyyyy....

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 10:03 AM
chocolate coated dates really exist? :?

vpb
05-20-2007, 10:06 AM
chocolate coated dates really exist?

no i dont think so. i think he was just joking.

mohammed farah
05-20-2007, 10:07 AM
It does existed

vpb
05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
^^ wow didn't know that. have u even tried them?

mohammed farah
05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
Nope

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 10:10 AM
wow interesting! I bet they taste like them chocolate coated raisins.. yummy!

I'm gonna try making some next Ramadhan inshaAllah.

amirah_87
05-20-2007, 10:15 AM

I'm a big fan of dates, and a big fan of choclates.. But I dont think they'd really work together. Lol! *too schweeet*

Maybe if it were Dark chocolate. Hmm?

But anyways, Thanx for posting up that info! :D

mohammed farah
05-20-2007, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87

I'm a big fan of dates, and a big fan of choclates.. But I dont think they'd really work together. Lol! *too schweeet*

the picture I just showed was a dark chocolate coated dates

Snowflake
05-20-2007, 10:20 AM
^Have you tried chocolate coated raisins sis? I think choco and dates would go well together.

aamirsaab
05-20-2007, 01:37 PM
It does existed

Takbir!

Hawa
05-20-2007, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis

Blasphemy!

England
05-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Chocolate makes me sick. White, brown, chocolate ice cream, snickers, mars bar, kit kat, Fudge whatever, they're all disgusting. +o(

*~Sofia~*
05-20-2007, 01:59 PM
vpb
i have!!! n they were YUMMMY :D
cusins brought em bak from hajj las year...n they were really nice! i cudnt get enuff lol

Prisca
05-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I just have one name for Vegetarians, Picky eaters!
Like come on, they say they don't eat meat cause it hurts animals BUT PLANTS GET HURT TOO WHEN YOU CHOP THEM OFF.
And just today this vegetarian said "ugh, do you know what cows eat, grass, and that comes from the dirty ground"
HELLLLLOOO.....a bunch of other plants that YOU eat come from the ground as well like potatoes!
Those kinda people just annoy me like hell

England
05-20-2007, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Prisca
Like come on, they say they don't eat meat cause it hurts animals BUT PLANTS GET HURT TOO WHEN YOU CHOP THEM OFF.
And just today this vegetarian said "ugh, do you know what cows eat, grass, and that comes from the dirty ground"
HELLLLLOOO.....a bunch of other plants that YOU eat come from the ground as well like potatoes!
God made me a vegetarian, in fact God made me a vegan and I'm happy with that. I'm very healthy, I eat more fruit and vegetables than alot of people :D I've never touched meat, fish, cheese, egg or anything alike in my entire life, not ONCE :)

Why do vegetarians annoy you? It's their choice for them to eat what they eat. You eat your food, the vegetarians will eat theirs. The fact that muslims don't drink alcohol doesn't bother me one bit. IT doesn't annoy me.

S_87
05-20-2007, 02:26 PM
peace

while i am not a vegetarian i have to say, its a persons choice whether or not they want to eat something or not. some people dont like coffee for instance and would never drink it. you cant FORCE them to like it and drink it, its simply their choice :)

and chocolate coated dates do exist and taste well nice :statisfie

Prisca
05-20-2007, 02:31 PM
yeah but when a vegetarian comes up to you and says "what kinda stupid idiot eats animals that ate, slept, drank, walked like you do??" then.... well you gotta defend what you eat, just as you defend your religion. And God did put them on Earth to be eaten anyway.

England
05-20-2007, 02:40 PM
yeah but when a vegetarian comes up to you and says "what kinda stupid idiot eats animals that ate, slept, drank, walked like you do??" then.... well you gotta defend what you eat, just as you defend your religion. And God did put them on Earth to be eaten anyway.
What vegetarian actually says that? Did God put us on earth to be eaten away too? I don't care whether anyone eats animals or not. I don't feel sorry for animals but I'm still vegan.

Prisca
05-20-2007, 02:44 PM
A vegetarian I know.
No, God put us on earth to worship him, everything has a reason for being here on earth, some might not be obvious but others are.

England
05-20-2007, 03:04 PM
A vegetarian I know.
No, God put us on earth to worship him, everything has a reason for being here on earth, some might not be obvious but others are.
If you're muslim what do you think pigs are put on earth for?

Khalisah
05-20-2007, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87

I've tried the chocolate dates, and I think I prefer just pure chocolate without the dates.. and just dates without the chocolate..

Woodrow
05-20-2007, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
As a Domesticated animal I do not know. But, as a wild animal they are a very important part of the ecosystem as they do have the ability to stir up the surface soil, remove injured and diseased animals etc.

Prisca
05-21-2007, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
And besides what Woodrow said, Pigs are here for the same reason as Alcohol.
To test people and see if they will eat pork and drink one.
Life is just one big test, it's all about the decisions we make.

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Mars has abandoned plans to use animal products in its chocolate, and has apologised to "upset" vegetarians. The firm had said it would change the whey used in some of its products from a vegetarian source to one with traces of the animal enzyme, rennet.

The Vegetarian Society organised a campaign against the move, asking members to voice their concerns to parent company Masterfoods.

Mars said it became "very clear, very quickly" that it had made a mistake.

In just one week, more than 6,000 people bombarded the company, which produces the Mars, Snickers, Maltesers and Galaxy brands, with phone and e-mail complaints.

Forty MPs also signed a petition to voice their opposition.

Fiona Dawson, managing director of Mars UK, said the company had listened to customers and decided to reverse its decision.

"The consumer is our boss and we had lots of feedback from consumers who were unhappy about the change," Ms Dawson said.

"It became very clear, very quickly that we had made a mistake, for which I am sorry.

"There are three million vegetarians in the UK and not only did we disappoint them, but we upset a lot of the consumers."

The Vegetarian Society had called the move by Mars "incomprehensible" and "a backward step" at a time when consumers were increasingly concerned about "the provenance of their food".

Mars replied that, by admitting its products were no longer suitable for "extremely strict vegetarians", it was making a "principled decision".

Now it insists it will begin changing its recipes back immediately.

Dr Annette Pinner, chief executive of the Vegetarian Society, said she was pleased Mars had been "honest enough" to admit it had "made a mistake".

"A Masterfoods representative has made contact with us and we are very pleased that they now recognise the importance of integrity to all their customers, especially vegetarians," she added.

Rennet is extracted from calves' stomachs and was to have been used in the ice cream versions of all Masterfoods' bars too.

Link:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6673549.stm

Excellent i don't have to give up my favourite chocolates now :thumbs_up

:w:

Protected_Diamond
05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Alhamdulilah!!!! :thumbs_up

Woodrow
05-21-2007, 01:52 PM
There is a small secret about big business. They will not do anything that may cause a reduction in profit. the people have spoken and the corporate heads got the message, animal products in the chocolate=lost sales.

mohammed farah
05-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I honestly think mars did this as a publicity stunt and they had no intention of changing anything.

adeel
05-21-2007, 04:34 PM
how about bounty thats nice is that going to be come HALAL?

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeel
Salamualikum.
Dunno blud, but i know fresh-fare sell that bounty alot and am gagging for it :omg:
ma'assalama

00:00
05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Bounty is nice. yum

Why would they wanna put animal products in these nice chocolates for in the first place.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Go and ask your president :X
Lets all start going on a strike, that will be sick yay!
ma'assalama

05-21-2007, 04:40 PM
huh what president..

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Salamualikum.
Forget it you won't understand.
ANywho whoever did put animal renet in the candies then need to pull them back out before i go bizarr! Mama Mia.
Ma'assalama

05-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Forget it you won't understand.

nah u got's to tell me, i wanna know.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00

nah u got's to tell me, i wanna know.
Salamualikum.
Okay i basically said go and ask your 'president'. If you live in UK T.Blair is your president right:? so go and ask him.

anywho forget that, it was a lame joke ah well thats me again eh.

Ma'assalama

05-21-2007, 04:52 PM
wassalam

Okay i basically said go and ask your 'president'. If you live in UK T.Blair is your president right so go and ask him.
tony bliar'z the PM.

Kittygyal
05-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Me and my stupidish lame jokes.
Anywho lets get back on track before .....

So anyone still going out there in local shops buying candies yet or nah:? give up yet? lol

Ma'assalama

S_87
05-23-2007, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeel

in reply to a mail i got

Q2.Are you reverting to vegetarian recipes for all of those products that were subject to the ingredient change?

A2.Yes, this announcement means that favourite products - Mars bars, Snickers bars, Galaxy, and Maltesers will once again be suitable for vegetarians.

Q3.You make lots of other brands - what about the suitability of them?

A3.Other products will also be suitable for vegetarians including Minstrels, Revels, and Ripple. However, Twix, Bounty and Celebrations will continue not to be suitable for vegetarians.

Q4.I'm a vegetarian - which products can I eat / should I avoid?

A4.Currently we cannot guarantee that our products contain vegetarian rennet. However, we are starting to change our manufacturing process with immediate effect. We want to get our vegetarian products on the shelves as soon as possible. During this process of changing the recipes we will provide updates on this consumer care website, on a regular basis. If you are not sure about the suitability of our products please call us on 0845 0450042.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.