/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dad... What's a terrorist?

Zuko
08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Dad .. what's a terrorist?

by David Campbell
April 23, 2004

Surely even a child can understand the difference between good and evil.

Dad ... what's a terrorist?

Well, according to the Oxford dictionary a terrorist is "a person who uses violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims". Which means that terrorists are very bad men and women who frighten ordinary people like us, and sometimes even kill them.

Why do they kill them?

Because they hate them or their country. It's hard to explain ... it's just the way things are. For many different reasons a lot of people in our world are full of hate.

Like the ones in Iraq who are capturing people and saying that they'll kill them if all the soldiers don't leave?

Exactly! That's an evil thing called "blackmail". Those innocent people are hostages, and the terrorists are saying that if governments don't do what they want the hostages will be killed.

So was it blackmail when we said we'd attack Iraq and kill innocent people unless they told us where all their weapons were?

No! Well ... yes, I suppose. In a way. But that was an "ultimatum" ... call it "good blackmail.

Good blackmail? What's that?

That's when it's done for good reasons. Those weapons were very dangerous and could have hurt a lot of people all over the world. It was very important to find them and destroy them.

But Dad ... there weren't any weapons.

True. We know that now. But we didn't at the time. We thought there were.

So was killing all those innocent people in Iraq a mistake?

No. It was a tragedy, but we also saved a lot of lives. You see, we had to stop a very cruel man called Saddam Hussein from killing a great many ordinary Iraqi people. Saddam Hussein stayed in power by giving orders that meant thousands of people died or were horribly injured. Mothers and fathers. Even children.

Like that boy I saw on TV? The one who had his arms blown off by a bomb?

Yes ... just like him.

But we did that. Does that mean our leaders are terrorists?

Good heavens, no! Whatever gave you that idea? That was just an accident. Unfortunately, innocent people get hurt in a war. You can't expect anything else when you drop bombs on cities. Nobody wants it to happen ... it's just the way things are.

So in a war only soldiers are supposed to get killed?

Well, soldiers are trained to fight for their country. It's their job, and they're very brave. They know that war is dangerous and that they might be killed. As soon as they put on a uniform they become a target.

What uniforms do terrorists wear?

That's just the problem ... they don't! We can't tell them apart from the civilians. We don't know who we're fighting. And that's why so many innocent people are getting killed ... the terrorists don't follow the rules of war.

War has rules?

Oh, yes. Soldiers must wear uniforms. And you can't just suddenly attack someone unless they do something to you first. Then you can defend yourself.

So that's why we attacked Iraq? Because Iraq attacked us first and we were just defending ourselves?

Not exactly. Iraq didn't attack us ... but it might have. We decided to get in first. Just in case Iraq used those weapons we were talking about.

The ones they didn't have? So we broke the rules of war?

Technically speaking, yes. But ...

So if we broke the rules first, why isn't it OK for those people in Iraq who aren't wearing uniforms to break the rules?

Well, that's different. We were doing the right thing when we broke the rules.

But Dad ... how do we know we were doing the right thing?

Our leaders ... Bush and Blair and Howard ... they told us it was the right thing. And if they don't know, who does? They say that something had to be done to make Iraq a better place.

Is it a better place?

I suppose so, but I don't know for sure. Innocent people are still being killed and these kidnappings are terrible things. I feel very sorry for the families of those poor hostages, but we simply can't give in to terrorists. We must stand firm.

Would you say that if I was captured by terrorists?

Uh ... yes ... no ... I mean, it's very difficult ...

So you'd let me be killed? Don't you love me?

Of course! I love you very much. It's just that it's a very complicated issue and I don't know what I'd do ...

Well, if somebody attacked us and bombed our house and killed you and Mum and Jamie I know what I'd do.

What?

I'd find out who did it and kill them. Any way I could. I'd hate them for ever and ever. And then I'd get in a plane and bomb their cities.

But ... but ... you'd kill a lot of innocent people.

I know. But it's war, Dad. And that's just the way things are. Remember?

David Campbell is a Melbourne writer.

Source: http://www.muslimaccess.com/articles...sterrorist.asp

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Heh heh. Great satire.

Ummu Amatullah
08-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Mashallah sis thanks alot.If children in the U.S or the U.N are able to recognize what their so called government are doing to civilians and if they are able to admit that they would bomb their cities.How are they able to blame the little children that it happened to while young and fortunely when they grew up they were able to act upon their intentions?

Muezzin
08-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Er.. yeah! What she said.

And the piece is also really funny.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Amatullah
08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
mashallah sis

Ummu Amatullah
08-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Salam bro funny ;DNot!!!.Somehow you just have to find humor in everything. :rolleyes:.Oh,brother.Mashallah though good post sis.Like your avatar reminds me of gansta mom ;D.Muezzin just playing kinda funny.

Mainul_Islam
08-11-2005, 06:02 AM
assalaamu alaikum,

this was a GREAT post!!! i remember reading something like this.. father and son.. but something with 9/11 instead.

ROFL @ "gangsta mom" ;D

Muezzin
08-11-2005, 08:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukri
Salam bro funny ;DNot!!!.Somehow you just have to find humor in everything. :rolleyes:.Oh,brother.Mashallah though good post sis.Like your avatar reminds me of gansta mom ;D.Muezzin just playing kinda funny.
Americans obviously don't appreciate good satire like the one in the first post ;)

aamirsaab
08-11-2005, 09:33 AM
:sl:
Good post sister sweet sorrow. :thumbs_up

Zuko
08-11-2005, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Americans obviously don't appreciate good satire like the one in the first post ;)
Excuse me? :mad:

Zuko
08-11-2005, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mainul_Islam

ROFL @ "gangsta mom" ;D
Thank you, if I ever become a mom, well, look for someone who looks like my avatar... :D :p ;) :confused:

Ummu Amatullah
08-11-2005, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
:p :p :p :p :-[ what do you know about Americans you Englander? :mad: :mad: :D

Muezzin
08-11-2005, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet_sorrow
Excuse me? :mad:
Whoah there!

I'm saying, the article you posted is satirical. The article is true, and the way in which it is written is amusing.

Just to avoid any further 'mad' smileys, here's a definition of 'satire':

'Satire is a literary technique of writing or art which principally ridicules its subject (individuals, organizations, states) often as an intended means of provoking or preventing change.'

Zuko
08-11-2005, 06:22 PM
salaam,

alright i apologize...

salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.