/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What do you say about this satanic culture - Ragging

AFDAL
05-20-2007, 05:57 PM
What do you say about this satanic culture RAGGING.

I have given some example in india bellow -----

Sadism, Not Ragging
The manner in which 18-year old Akash (name changed on request in news reports) was ragged at the prestigious School of Planning and Architecture (SPA), New Delhi brings to light yet again the barbarity with which the so-called seniors at reputed educational institutes continue to rag the freshers in the name of ‘introduction’. Akash has already left SPA, unable to bear the trauma of savage ragging. Recalling the cruelty that went in the name of ragging, Akash has said that he and his friends ‘‘were made to do 50 to 60 push-ups, then an equal number of sit-ups’’ and then they ‘‘were made to pose in a chicken’s posture for up to 20 minutes’’. After this torture, they ‘‘were drenched with chilled soda’’. But when the seniors split Akash and his friends ‘‘in groups of three boys and one girl’’ and asked them to ‘‘enact sexual postures as depicted in the Kamasutra’’, it was not possible for Akash to follow his seniors’ diktats. He protested as anybody with a clear conscience would, which provoked a senior girl to subject him to further cruelty. He was ‘‘made to crawl up and down the stairs’’ while the senior girl ‘‘hurled filthy abuses’’ at him. According to a terrified Akash, the cruelty continued from 9.30 pm to 3 am when he collapsed. The Akash episode is a measure of sadistic pleasures that our young boys and girls would indulge in these days — to say the least. Akash’s cannot be ragging; it is sheer torture and indulgence in instincts hostile to human civilization. That seniors at a prestigious institute should let their libido flow so sadistically, is perhaps a reminder of how primitive a section of the human race still is. The solution lies in sending the culprits to a mental asylum for an electric-shock treatment they deserve.
-------------------------------------------------------

Lucknow, September, 2002
Anup Kapoor, a 19-year-old first year engineering student committed suicide by hanging himself from a ceiling fan at his house here. He had returned home from his institute in Lucknow following sexual harassment and mental torture by his seniors.

An outstanding student, Anup had joined the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) on September 2. Though, according to the rules, first-year students don't get entry into the hostel, he was allotted a room in the Anand Villa hostel. In his suicide note, Anup said that he was going through mental agony due to the sexual harassment by second-year students of the institute in the name of ragging.

The note said that on some occasions, the seniors dragged the first-year students out from their rooms, took them to a room, asked them to strip down and play ''kabaddi''. It said the physical and mental torture of the first-year students did not end just there.

The maternal aunt of the victim, Dr Gita Seth, said that Anup had complained several times about the harassment to the warden of the Anand Villa hostel and IET officials. She said that Anup had also said he did not want to continue his education in the institute.

Paras Nath Kapoor, Anup's father and a teacher, cursed the institute's administration with tears in his eyes, ''It was my fault that I couldn't guess the gravity of torture Anup was experiencing in the name of ragging in his institute.''

Anup's mother, Manju Kapoor, a school teacher, was not in a condition to say anything except for chanting Anup's name. He had qualified in the MLNR and CBSE entrance tests last year and had also topped the list in Rohilkhand University's engineering examination. However, he wanted to join a high-ranking institute. He had left the MLNR seat as he wanted mechanical engineering course. When he got it at the IET, Lucknow, he decided to join there.

The police said Anup took ''this extreme step due to the agony of ragging by seniors''.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An Experience in Anti-Ragging Activism by Anant Asthana

When I joined hostel for the first time, I witnessed the horror of ragging, otherwise I had only heard stories about thrilling instances of being ragged. In my university (Aligarh Muslim University) ragging is prohibited by express orders of authorities but it is an open secret, even for the university authorities in administration, that Saturday nights of July, August and September are reserved for a full-fledged seniority show, called as “intro sessions”. During these months all the interested seniors gather in the lawn of hostel and all the juniors (referred to as “dhurra” which means donkey) are called in the lawn and then an unofficial seniority show starts. In our university a new term has been coined for ragging - intro. And every one boasts that there is no ragging in Aligarh Muslim University.

These Saturday seniority shows include – comic parades, cracking jokes on juniors, making fun of freshers in all possible ways. Questions having double meanings are posed to juniors to be answered and failing which he is ordered “Murga Ban”. Unparliamentary language is frequently used and whenever there is no electricity in the hostel during these intro sessions, freshers are asked to shout abuses towards residents of other hostels.

Many students break down during these intros and start to weep. Many students run away from hostel on Saturday nights but if they are identified there is a supplementary intro on Sunday morning and which is much more severe. I have myself witnessed many juniors spending their nights in the parks and play grounds because of the fear of ragging in bitter cold.

This seniority show concludes on 17th September which is the birthday of the founder of our university Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, but till this day freshers have to suffer sleepless nights and humiliation.

Of course, there are a few good seniors with whom juniors feel happy and enjoy talking to, but these noble and sincere seniors generally don't participate in intro sessions. These sessions are dominated by mischievous seniors who have only one agenda how to establish their seniority over helpless juniors.

Attitude of university authorities

Whenever any problem arises out of these intro sessions, as a first aid some seniors settle the dispute within the hostel and aggrieved fresher is prevented to approach proctor office. Occasionally if any student dares to avoid such pressure, the authorities do take appropriate action. On many occasions students have been rusticated because of ragging but the problem is redressed only when anyone dares to lodge a complaint.

In spite of the strict actions initiated by the authorities on receiving complaints, a lot more can be done to proactively monitor the situation in the hostels. For example, wardens or officers of the proctorial team can take up surprise checks in the hostels especially at nights. Strong steps are expected from authorities to put a vigil on hostels during those months when ragging takes place.

Responses to my efforts of anti-ragging activism

As a first step towards my mission of creating a substantive offensive against ragging, I started to talk with seniors regarding the legitimacy of ragging. I was repeatedly told that there is nothing like ragging in our university. When I talked about the intro sessions, I was told that it was necessary in order to teach freshers the tradition of our university. Though they admitted that there were some problems with this tradition, they were of the view that since they had also suffered the same treatment, the juniors must pass through the same ordeal. Through such talks, I concluded that the central problem is a power game in which no senior wants to loose a privilege over the incoming batch of juniors.

Though there were some nice seniors also who supported me but they were not willing to have confrontation with their own friends and advised me to keep quiet and concentrate on my studies.

I was not discouraged with all this and I started to put some articles explaining the causes and evil attached with ragging on the notice boards. Unfortunately, I found that these articles were not tolerated by seniors and were removed every time. I became a victim of negative publicity through false propaganda and I knew that if I did not withdraw I would have to suffer.

During student union elections one presidential candidate invited me to work on his agenda and I tried to put a complete ban on intros/substitution of intro with a more humane means of interaction, but no one was willing to confront the seniors. Thus my effort to raise this issue in the elections was undone.

I arrived on final conclusion that, seniors being united to save their privileges, without organizing juniors no substantive step can be taken in this regard. Once we are able to talk to the juniors, there will always be some seniors and teachers who will come with us and will support us.

In spite of the hardships involved, I firmly believe that by being courageous and formulating a strategy we can do what we want to do. Sustained efforts are essential in this regard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Delhi University, Freshers 2000

17 July 2000, Delhi University

Ragging in colleges under the Delhi University was somewhat mild in the campus. Though much can't be said about what happened in hostels. People were asked to sing songs, enact actors and animals, marry, describe body parts, etc.

Measures

Abiding by the strict guidelines issued by the UGC, the following measures were taken:

There were heavy police pickets at SRCC, Hindu, Miranda House, Kirori Mal or St Stephens in north Campus. Still, they were of not much help.

During the first day after reopening, the Delhi University Vice Chancellor Deepak Nayar visited around 10 colleges in the south and north campus to check various arrangements.

He was of the opinion that in every community there are social forms of interaction and introduction, and if ragging is limited to this, it can be a beginning of a new friendship. But if it crosses the threshold of human dignity it needs to be condemned and taken care of.

You may like to have a peep at what happened in which college...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hindu College

Freshers were asked to describe various parts of human body. Many senior girl-students too were involved to the ragging while others turned away embarrassed.
"Do you know what purpose this serves?" asked a senior referring to a certain part of the body. "Ah! well, I read about it," stammered the first-year girl student. "That's it? You mean you don't really know about it," scolded the senior.
Freshers were asked to walk on the ramp in a fashion show and climb trees like Tarzan and yell Tarzan style.
The freshers performed songs, mock proposals, cabarets and even marriages.
Singing and dancing was on full swing. A bunch of girls forced a boy to do push-ups on the road like Hrithik while humming tunes from the blockbuster movie Kaho Na Pyar Hai.

Some freshers were enjoying ragging. First-year students like Rohan Mishra and Amit Joshi even managed a smile at the end of their ragging. A senior said,"This ragging is virtually nothing. When we were ragged as freshers two years back, it was much worse." He added, "The authorities have also become more vigilant".

The Principle comments: Seeing so many mediapersons, photographers, Principal Kavita Sharma asked them to leave. Surprisingly, Dr Kavita Sharma was herself heading the Joint Action Committee formed by the Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) to counter ragging. Dr Sharma said that the college authorities were trying to prevent ragging but argued that "the authorities could not be everywhere all the time".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shriram College of Commerce

All efforts were made to make freshers look funny. First year students like Niharika Sengupta, a B.Com (hons) student at the SRCC, had their faces smeared all over with lipstick.
Many mock marriages with people of same or different sex were staged in the campus.
Freshers were asked to sing and dance much to the amusement of all present.

Fresher Joshika Bhasin didn't have any complaints. "It's all in good fun. It's a chance for us to get to know our seniors," she felt. Another fresher Aditi had the same views. While some seniors felt that the extent of ragging had decreased compared to last year, others like Sumita, a second-year SRCC student, felt it was the same.

Kirori Mal College

Freshers were asked to sing and dance. For instance, a group at Kirori Mal College wanted freshers to do all the dance steps of Govinda's movie Coolie No.1.
Seniors were asking dirty and vulgar questions and even the senior girl students were involved in it.
Many other kinds of ragging took place. Example: Anxious freshers were asked to parody Bollywood ditties or dance to the coarse croaks and wolf whistles of their avid seniors in a small `kangaro' courts .

``Our princy is real cool. He stays in his cabin, giving us a free run of the campus,''bragged a final year Karori Mal bully. The freshers were of the opinion that healthy ragging is a good way of interacting with seniors and getting to know more about them.

Mirinda House

``Please don't quote me in your paper.....it's been O.K so far, but who knows.....''pleaded a timid Miranda House induct to a newspaper reporter. The scare at the hostels was more acute, especially at nightfall. Freshers like Jyoti and Abha explained that the ragging comprised merely the "singing-dancing" routine. "The seniors were nice to us and there was no malice," they added.

St. Stephens

Views of people on campus: "For the first one month you are virtually the hand maidens of the seniors. Always at their beck and call. Washing their laundry, running petty errands. And, you dare not defy, that is, if you don't want to land in serious trouble. Then, comes the `anda-tomato' session ( the official closing ceremony when the freshers are allowed to retaliate by pelting eggs and tomatoes at their tormentors .....It's all good fun and the ice is broken. You are finally accepted as part of the jing-bang....''explained Namrata Gaikwad, a giggling second year Stephanian.. "The rites of initiation,''she added for emphasis. "Owing largely to UGC strictures, the ragging scene in college is boring as hell...''commented Elakshi Kumar.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AFDAL
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Allah's Messenger, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “Allah would torment those who torment people in the world.”

Jabir Ibn `Abdullah, may Allah be pleased with him, quoted the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, as saying: “Be on your guard against committing oppression, for oppression is a darkness on the Day of Resurrection...”

It is also reported that Prophet Dawud, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “O Allah, You know that I love You and I love all those who love You, but how may I endear You to Your servants? Allah said: Remind them of My Favors, My trials and My anger. O Dawud, any of My servants who helped an oppressed person and stood by him in his oppressed state, I’ll keep his feet firm on the Day when all feet will be shaken.”

In another Hadith Qudsi, Allah Almighty says: “I shall take revenge on the oppressor in this life and the next. I shall take revenge on someone who saw a person being oppressed and was able to help him but did not help him.”

If the muslims do not try to do anything to clean up such kind of devilish acts then there cannot be a change in the system.

Ma Salam

HBot 5000
05-21-2007, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AFDAL
Allah's Messenger, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “Allah would torment those who torment people in the world.”

Jabir Ibn `Abdullah, may Allah be pleased with him, quoted the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, as saying: “Be on your guard against committing oppression, for oppression is a darkness on the Day of Resurrection...”

It is also reported that Prophet Dawud, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “O Allah, You know that I love You and I love all those who love You, but how may I endear You to Your servants? Allah said: Remind them of My Favors, My trials and My anger. O Dawud, any of My servants who helped an oppressed person and stood by him in his oppressed state, I’ll keep his feet firm on the Day when all feet will be shaken.”

In another Hadith Qudsi, Allah Almighty says: “I shall take revenge on the oppressor in this life and the next. I shall take revenge on someone who saw a person being oppressed and was able to help him but did not help him.”

If the muslims do not try to do anything to clean up such kind of devilish acts then there cannot be a change in the system.

Ma Salam
:sl:

We can try yakkii but the arrogant people often don't listen.:skeleton:

:w:

Encolpius
05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Ah yes, ragging, otherwise known as "fagging" in British public schools, "hazing" in the US military and its associated academies, and "bizutage" in French grandes écoles.

The idea is that the senior students do that sort of thing to the new ones until such a time as the new ones pull together properly for survival and, as they've all bonded thus the new ones will, allegedly, stick together more effectively. The same theory is applied in recruit training in the army; the instructors treat the recruits poorly, and the recruits pull together and learn obedience and discipline and teamwork which won't break under the stresses of battle.

It is, however, entirely inappropriate in an academic setting IMO.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AFDAL
05-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Ah yes, ragging, otherwise known as "fagging" in British public schools, "hazing" in the US military and its associated academies, and "bizutage" in French grandes écoles.

In Russia it is known as " Dedivsina"

It is, however, entirely inappropriate in an academic setting IMO.

Any we Muslims should not follow the foot steps of non-muslims

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.