/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Copper: Spy In The Sky Unveiled

England
05-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Chopper Copper: Spy In The Sky Unveiled
Updated: 15:10, Monday May 21, 2007

The latest weapon in the war against crime has been unveiled - a remote controlled "spy in the sky".
Merseyside Police are the first in the UK to test the device, which has evolved from military reconnaissance work.

The mini helicopter, fitted with CCTV and night vision cameras, will be used by officers to track criminals and record anti-social behaviour.

It is only one metre wide, weighs less than a bag of sugar, is virtually silent, can be scrambled in three minutes and is able to record images from a height of 500m.

Assistant Merseyside chief constable Simon Byrne rejected concerns about privacy.

He said: "People clamour for the feeling of safety which cameras give.

"Obviously there is a point of view that has been expressed but our feedback from the public is anything we can do to fight crime is a good thing.

"There are safeguards in place legally covering the use of CCTV and the higher the level of intrusion, the higher the level of authority needed within the police force to use it. So there is that balance there."

The drone will be initially used for monitoring public disorder, large crowds and traffic disruption while possible use in firearms operations is being studied.

It can beam back images to control rooms or support vehicles and can be flown by remote control or be pre-programmed using GPS navigation systems.

It is expected to be operational by June and will be given a three-month trial.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...266714,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
England
05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Come on. What do you think of it? Is Big Brother watching us? I personally like this. Everything people deem as Big Brother I tend to agree with. Such as banning smoking in public places. spy helicopters, banning fatty foods in schools, teachers checking childrens' packed lunches to see if they contain fatty foods etc.

00:00
05-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Come on. What do you think of it? Is Big Brother watching us? I personally like this. Everything people deem as Big Brother I tend to agree with. Such as banning smoking in public places. spy helicopters, banning fatty foods in schools, teachers checking childrens' packed lunches to see if they contain fatty foods etc.
yeah BB is watching us,i don't like this. if its to fight crime than yh its a gd thing, but if its to spy on us than no, like the ID cards they planning on bringing out.

Pk_#2
05-22-2007, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Banning smoking...AGREE

Banning fatty foods....AGREE (but then i'd die 'cause that's all i eat)

Erm they should ban chocolate ...what you think? :D :D :D :D :D

:rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
England
05-22-2007, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maliha Misam
Banning smoking...AGREE

Banning fatty foods....AGREE (but then i'd die 'cause that's all i eat)

Erm they should ban chocolate ...what you think? :D :D :D :D :D

:rollseyes
I don't eat chocolate anyway. It's disgusting.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.